Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-03-17, 12:04 PM
Junior Varsity

Old Clyde Wrestler is on a distinguished road
Big 10 TV wrestling broadcasts?

Anywhere I can find a list of 2017/2018 TV broadcasts on the BIG 10 TV channel?
Usually 7-8 free broadcasts for viewing.

JC
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-17, 12:19 PM
All World

bdhof is on a distinguished road
tOSU vs Rutgers, Iowa and PSU will be on BTN. Doesn't appear that the B10 championships are on the BTN this year although I'm not sure. Not sure about other matches.
Old 11-03-17, 01:20 PM
All Ohio

TakedownFor2 is on a distinguished road
Flowrestling will have over 75 B10 matches live.

Huge partnership.
Old 11-03-17, 02:41 PM
Junior Varsity

Not free though.
Old 11-03-17, 02:59 PM
All Ohio

falcons53 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Clyde Wrestler View Post
Not free though.
Yeah, way to hinder a sport that needs as much coverage as possible. Every step forward gets 2 steps back it seems. Why is it "YouTubers" can become millionaires through sponsorship on free content, but wrestling has to charge customers to watch the best wrestling conference in the nation?
Old 11-03-17, 03:14 PM
Junior Varsity

I agree our sport needs coverage, coverage and more coverage. Flowrestling wants $150.00 for a year, greed. $29.99 would get some customers.
Also no TV coverage either of the upcoming all-star matches.

JC
Old 11-03-17, 04:17 PM
All American

Yankeefan33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcons53 View Post
Yeah, way to hinder a sport that needs as much coverage as possible. Every step forward gets 2 steps back it seems. Why is it "YouTubers" can become millionaires through sponsorship on free content, but wrestling has to charge customers to watch the best wrestling conference in the nation?
Because advertisers will gladly pay for the millions of views + other impressions made by these Youtubers. Flowrestling's reach is nowhere near as strong or numerous.

And if you're complaining that you have to pay to access wrestling matches, which include Flo paying for rights, going to matches, all the equipment, and other costs, well that might be a little greedy. It's $12.50 a month- pretty affordable for thousands of hours of wrestling matches.
Old 11-03-17, 04:20 PM
All American

And I won't rant about business practices without answering the question:

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestlin...dcast-schedule

Date Match Time (ET)
Dec. 4 Lehigh at Penn State 12 p.m.
Dec. 8 Missouri at Ohio State 7 p.m.
Dec. 11 Rutgers at Maryland 12 p.m.
Dec. 30 Midlands 8 p.m.
Jan. 6 Iowa at Michigan 7 p.m.
Jan. 8 Rutgers at Ohio State 12 p.m.
Jan. 13 Rutgers at Penn State 7 p.m.
Jan. 15 Michigan at Nebraska 2:15 p.m.
Jan. 20 Penn State at Iowa 9 p.m.
Jan. 22 Michigan at Northwestern 3 p.m.
Jan. 27 Ohio State at Iowa 8 p.m.
Jan. 29 Rutgers at Michigan State 2 p.m.
Feb. 3 Penn State at Ohio State 6 p.m.
Feb. 5 Iowa at Minnesota 12 p.m.
Feb. 10 Wisconsin at Purdue 6 p.m.
Feb. 12 Indiana at Illinois 4 p.m.
Old 11-03-17, 04:21 PM
Junior Varsity

I found a list of 15 BIG 10 matches for the year but sadly NO BIG 10 tournament coverage.

JC
Old 11-04-17, 06:40 AM
All Ohio

ProV1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Clyde Wrestler View Post
I agree our sport needs coverage, coverage and more coverage. Flowrestling wants $150.00 for a year, greed. $29.99 would get some customers.
Also no TV coverage either of the upcoming all-star matches.

JC
Just might be the worst take I have ever seen on Yappi. First, Flo is not greedy. They are a commercial business with investors and are a for profit company like almost all media companies. Second, their mission is to provide a platform to sports that are typically not covered in the mainstream. Their contract with the Big10 is not taking the sport backwards but is a huge advance bringing more coverage to the sport than ever before. Their success will drive more coverage to mainstream outlets. BTW, B10 Network and ESPN are not free, anyway. FLo is doing a terrific job and as a fan, I'm happy to pay the $150. If you don't see value that is totally fine, but to criticize as bad for the sport is pretty misguided.
Old 11-04-17, 08:59 AM
All World

Cthelites is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProV1 View Post
Just might be the worst take I have ever seen on Yappi. First, Flo is not greedy. They are a commercial business with investors and are a for profit company like almost all media companies. Second, their mission is to provide a platform to sports that are typically not covered in the mainstream. Their contract with the Big10 is not taking the sport backwards but is a huge advance bringing more coverage to the sport than ever before. Their success will drive more coverage to mainstream outlets. BTW, B10 Network and ESPN are not free, anyway. FLo is doing a terrific job and as a fan, I'm happy to pay the $150. If you don't see value that is totally fine, but to criticize as bad for the sport is pretty misguided.
Sorry but it went backwards because the B1G tourney WAS on the big ten network and now it is only available online! This is sad.
Old 11-04-17, 09:35 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthelites View Post
Sorry but it went backwards because the B1G tourney WAS on the big ten network and now it is only available online! This is sad.
Flo is basically getting full rights to B10 Plus which is an event by event premium on top of normal fees you pay for the standard B10 network. As such, instead of buying each additional event, you get them all with the standard Flo subscription. This includes the B10 up until finals. The finals are on the standard network. I think getting every B10 dual plus all the other content and events (like Ironman) is a great deal. My guess is that rates will actually go up in the future. Again, value is personal opinion but if you look at the big picture, this is great for wrestling.
Old 11-04-17, 10:48 AM
All American

Quote:
Nothing on the Big 10 network (TV) will be on Flo, only their online content. So the only people affected are those with Flo, who get more content than they did for the same price. Sounds good to me
Old 11-04-17, 07:50 PM
All American

OCEagle is on a distinguished road
I used Flo a couple of times for the HS all-star matches when Stencel was wrestling. I don't know which was worse, the college kids they had calling the Big10 matches, or the flow guys they had calling the matches. If they are going to charge $150/year there are a few things we should expect:

Screens not locking up during a match because they don't have enough bandwidth to stream the matches. Happened a few times for events I paid for. Two years ago so maybe that is better now.

No rookies calling the matches that don't know the wrestler's names, can't pronounce them, or call them incorrectly. worse is when they try to inject enthusiasm by yelling into the mike a bunch of gibberish that makes no sense.

Having a camera angle where you don't keep seeing the back end of the referee so you can't see the match. Need to have a stand of some kind that is off the mat and can get a better angle of the match. Usually only one camera per mat, so it has to catch the entire match. Not only are the refs a problem by getting in the way of the camera, but some of those guys must be watching the match and not realizing the camera is not picking up anything on the mat. You see nothing and hear a guy yelling into a mike. Frustrating.

It's for those reasons I have not paid for another Flowrestling subscription.

Does anyone know if they have upgraded some of this stuff as they continue to grow? With as many matches as they are covering, that is no easy task to get competent people to handle those jobs.
Old 11-04-17, 10:35 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEagle View Post
I used Flo a couple of times for the HS all-star matches when Stencel was wrestling. I don't know which was worse, the college kids they had calling the Big10 matches, or the flow guys they had calling the matches. If they are going to charge $150/year there are a few things we should expect:

Screens not locking up during a match because they don't have enough bandwidth to stream the matches. Happened a few times for events I paid for. Two years ago so maybe that is better now.

No rookies calling the matches that don't know the wrestler's names, can't pronounce them, or call them incorrectly. worse is when they try to inject enthusiasm by yelling into the mike a bunch of gibberish that makes no sense.

Having a camera angle where you don't keep seeing the back end of the referee so you can't see the match. Need to have a stand of some kind that is off the mat and can get a better angle of the match. Usually only one camera per mat, so it has to catch the entire match. Not only are the refs a problem by getting in the way of the camera, but some of those guys must be watching the match and not realizing the camera is not picking up anything on the mat. You see nothing and hear a guy yelling into a mike. Frustrating.

It's for those reasons I have not paid for another Flowrestling subscription.

Does anyone know if they have upgraded some of this stuff as they continue to grow? With as many matches as they are covering, that is no easy task to get competent people to handle those jobs.
Try covering 25 mats across a massive convention center (super 32) and then tell them how to two improve. Flo is not a problem. They are part of the solution.
Old 11-04-17, 11:10 PM
All World

said_aouita is on a distinguished road
Speaking of college wrestling broadcasts - anyone check out Illinois vs. Missou yesterday?

Awesome throw!
https://mobile.twitter.com/IlliniWre...927424/photo/1

Last edited by said_aouita; 11-05-17 at 05:53 AM.
Old 11-05-17, 09:49 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeefan33 View Post
Because advertisers will gladly pay for the millions of views + other impressions made by these Youtubers. Flowrestling's reach is nowhere near as strong or numerous.

And if you're complaining that you have to pay to access wrestling matches, which include Flo paying for rights, going to matches, all the equipment, and other costs, well that might be a little greedy. It's $12.50 a month- pretty affordable for thousands of hours of wrestling matches.
I never said anything about them being greedy. Remember how big boxing used to be when it was free? When HBO starting having all the big matchups, everyone flocked and money was still made. How about now? Short sighted business practices will make money today. Long term success? I have no problem with Flo making money and if people are willing to pay, they will make money now. You don't grow a sport througj cost based promotion. The NFL showed that decades ago. I am not mad at Flo, though their product has been subpar. As you mentioned, Flo's reach is nowhere near that...and never will under this model.
Old 11-05-17, 07:12 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcons53 View Post
I never said anything about them being greedy. Remember how big boxing used to be when it was free? When HBO starting having all the big matchups, everyone flocked and money was still made. How about now? Short sighted business practices will make money today. Long term success? I have no problem with Flo making money and if people are willing to pay, they will make money now. You don't grow a sport througj cost based promotion. The NFL showed that decades ago. I am not mad at Flo, though their product has been subpar. As you mentioned, Flo's reach is nowhere near that...and never will under this model.
Boxings decline has nothing to do with its move to pay per view. How much was made in the McGregor/Mayweather fight? Ratings drive the networks. The better the ratings, the more you will see events on the mainstream because of advertising. Flo will help drive ratings. Flosports is good for wrestling. Bottom line.
Old 11-05-17, 07:21 PM
All World

MPhillips is on a distinguished road
Disappointed with Trackwrestling's coverage of the NWCA All Star Meet. The audio was inaudible. All except for the commercials. Clear as a bell.
Flo has gotten better over the years. Still some dropped coverage here and there.
Some of the announcers on B1G network are 'un-listenable' anyway.
Old 11-05-17, 07:42 PM
All Ohio

Big Ragu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by said_aouita View Post
Speaking of college wrestling broadcasts - anyone check out Illinois vs. Missou yesterday?

Awesome throw!
https://mobile.twitter.com/IlliniWre...927424/photo/1
Great to see more of the stadium type events. And WOW! That was quite the toss. Who was that?
Old 11-05-17, 09:04 PM
All World

cruiser_96 is on a distinguished road
So let me get this straight...

I have to pay more for my cable bill in order to get the tBTN. But in doing so I am promised content that I would otherwise not get - i.e. certain football games and even non-mainstream sports (in this case wrestling). That would be the "deal" or "trade-off" - my money for their content. HOWEVER, that same network (tBTN) sells that content that was promised (non-mainstream sports like wrestling) to a third party, in turn making me purchase an additional subscription (in this case FLO) in order to be able to view the content. (That same content I was promised when purchasing tBTN.)

And I'm the ***hole for complaining about what's going down? Walk me through that.
Old 11-06-17, 07:28 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser_96 View Post
So let me get this straight...

I have to pay more for my cable bill in order to get the tBTN. But in doing so I am promised content that I would otherwise not get - i.e. certain football games and even non-mainstream sports (in this case wrestling). That would be the "deal" or "trade-off" - my money for their content. HOWEVER, that same network (tBTN) sells that content that was promised (non-mainstream sports like wrestling) to a third party, in turn making me purchase an additional subscription (in this case FLO) in order to be able to view the content. (That same content I was promised when purchasing tBTN.)

And I'm the ***hole for complaining about what's going down? Walk me through that.
BTN never promised you BTN Plus content as part of you standard subscription. Plus is a premium streaming service that is $119 per year. They have many other options. You can download BTN2Go and see for yourself. All BTN did was cut a deal with Flo to give them the wrestling content. It is all still BTN produced.
I am not sure why anybody would be mad about this or think it bad for wrestling.
Old 11-06-17, 09:19 AM
All World

Quote:
BTN never promised you BTN Plus content as part of you standard subscription. Plus is a premium streaming service that is $119 per year. They have many other options. You can download BTN2Go and see for yourself. All BTN did was cut a deal with Flo to give them the wrestling content. It is all still BTN produced.
I am not sure why anybody would be mad about this or think it bad for wrestling.
If it's not available on my tv the way it WAS, that makes me mad! Not sure why u don't get that or why u are such the cheerleader for flow?
A few yrs ago I signed up for flo to watch my sons matches and couldn't get the damn thing going. So I'm not such a huge flo honk.
Maybe they have gotten better??
Old 11-06-17, 11:20 AM
All American

Quote:
If it's not available on my tv the way it WAS, that makes me mad! Not sure why u don't get that or why u are such the cheerleader for flow?
A few yrs ago I signed up for flo to watch my sons matches and couldn't get the damn thing going. So I'm not such a huge flo honk.
I think you're missing it. There are two aspects to the Big 10 network, which I will call BTN on TV and BTNPlus

#1. BTN on TV. This is everything on the Big 10 network on your cable package
#2. BTNPlus is the online only content, which costs extra and is separate from the BTN on TV

Flo is now able to broadcast the wrestling part of #2, the BTNPlus. They have no rights to broadcasts on #1, so things like the Midlands finals will NOT be on Flo and only on TV. If you have BTN on the TV, you weren't getting anything online (#2), and nobody with Flo will be able to watch what you're getting on the TV
Old 11-06-17, 11:46 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
I am not a cheerleader for Flo. I'm just glad they do what they do. I don't believe people understand what this is. BTN only televises a handful of wrestling events a year. They are typically marque duals and the finals of the B10 Tourney. They will still offer that. They also produce dozens more events via BTN Plus. Those will still be available via their standard subscription. IN ADDITION, those same events will be offered on Flo and included in their subscription service. That is a big value add to Flo subscribers. If you hate Flo, you can go ahead and watch whatever BTN decides to televise or if you wanna watch something that is only available on BTN Plus, you can continue to buy it from them.
Old 11-06-17, 12:24 PM
All World

cruiser_96 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I think you're missing it. There are two aspects to the Big 10 network, which I will call BTN on TV and BTNPlus

#1. BTN on TV. This is everything on the Big 10 network on your cable package
#2. BTNPlus is the online only content, which costs extra and is separate from the BTN on TV

Flo is now able to broadcast the wrestling part of #2, the BTNPlus. They have no rights to broadcasts on #1, so things like the Midlands finals will NOT be on Flo and only on TV. If you have BTN on the TV, you weren't getting anything online (#2), and nobody with Flo will be able to watch what you're getting on the TV
My point goes back to when tBTN had its execs out selling the channel to the public.

NOTE: Before tBTN, I was able to watch every football game Ohio State played on standard cable. Before tBTN, I could not watch any Ohio State wrestling. Along comes tBTN selling me - the customer - on the fact that not only will I get great Buckeye football coverage, I'll also get some of the less-covered sports like track, basketball, and wrestling. Well then - fantastic! Great for the customer. Until reality hits.

tBTN sells its coverage of Ohio State football so now I am forced to watch NW v. Purdue - A GAME I DID NOT AND DO NOT WANT TO WATCH. I want to watch Ohio State play football and up until this point, I could. Now I can't. tBTN NOW sells its coverage for wrestling and I can't watch it! So I shelled out X amount of dollars and get NOTHING in return?

BTN2GO is even more of a fleecing act put on by tBTN! We'll get you limited coverage for B1G action and then we'll make you pay AGAIN for more of the same on your wireless device!

Again, tBTN is a sham. Absolutely fleece-fest.
Old 11-06-17, 01:04 PM
All World

Ok I get it thnx!
I thought flo was taking over the reg stuff on the big network
Old 11-06-17, 01:16 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Boxings decline has nothing to do with its move to pay per view. How much was made in the McGregor/Mayweather fight? Ratings drive the networks. The better the ratings, the more you will see events on the mainstream because of advertising. Flo will help drive ratings. Flosports is good for wrestling. Bottom line.
Agree to disagree.
Old 11-06-17, 01:30 PM
Varsity

EW1984 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
And I won't rant about business practices without answering the question:

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestlin...dcast-schedule

Date Match Time (ET)
Dec. 4 Lehigh at Penn State 12 p.m.
Dec. 8 Missouri at Ohio State 7 p.m.
Dec. 11 Rutgers at Maryland 12 p.m.
Dec. 30 Midlands 8 p.m.
Jan. 6 Iowa at Michigan 7 p.m.
Jan. 8 Rutgers at Ohio State 12 p.m.
Jan. 13 Rutgers at Penn State 7 p.m.
Jan. 15 Michigan at Nebraska 2:15 p.m.
Jan. 20 Penn State at Iowa 9 p.m.
Jan. 22 Michigan at Northwestern 3 p.m.
Jan. 27 Ohio State at Iowa 8 p.m.
Jan. 29 Rutgers at Michigan State 2 p.m.
Feb. 3 Penn State at Ohio State 6 p.m.
Feb. 5 Iowa at Minnesota 12 p.m.
Feb. 10 Wisconsin at Purdue 6 p.m.
Feb. 12 Indiana at Illinois 4 p.m.
Wrong year.
Old 11-06-17, 02:52 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by EW1984 View Post
Wrong year.
You're right. And I know I've seen it somewhere for 2017-2018, but I can't find it now