Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-02-17, 04:15 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
What Movies Did You Watch in November 2017?

As a horror movie junkie, I come across a lot of off beat Horror movies as well as the run in the mill straight to video. I will share my thoughts of the ones that I see this month. So, if you seen a movie new or old and want to share your thoughts go ahead, and if its horror, even better!!!!

I will edit in my horror views here with my rating scale on how I liked it.....

8 = Donnie Darko
7 = Excellent !!!!!
6 = Great
5 = pretty Good
4 = OK/Good
3 = not good
2 = Bad
1 = Unwatchable

==========================================

#3707 Ghost of Dragstrip Hollow (US-1959) ... 2.5/8

#3708 Cabin by the Lake (US-2000) ... 5.0/8

#3709 Krampus (US-2015) ... 6.0/8

#3710 If These Walls Could Talk (US-2017) ... 1.0/8

#3711 The Wicker Tree (UK-2011) ... 3.5/8

#3712 Spare Parts (UK-1973) ... 4.5/8

#3713 The Scarehouse (Canada-2014) ... 4.5/8

#3714 The Old Dark House (UK-1963) ... 4.5/8

#3715 Get Out (US-2017) ... 6.0/8

#3716 Ghost of Hanley House (US-1968) ... 5.0/8

#3717 Refuge (US-2013) ... 4.5/8

Last edited by vamp2syd; 11-15-17 at 09:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-17, 04:53 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
3/8 War for the Planet of the Apes. This got good reviews? Forced plot, things happened just because. Boring ending. Stereotypes, "Southern accented good-ol boy" (hint: racist redneck) Colonel.....
Old 11-02-17, 08:33 PM
All Yappi

Ghost of Dragstrip Hollow (1959)

Horror/Comedy: Drag racing buddies look to find a place to set up shop and of course it just happens to be haunted. Very lame 50's hot rod / rock movie... 2.5/8

Cabin By The Lake (2000)

Horror: Judd Nelson plays a horror writer who lives his stories.... a serial killer is killing young ladies and planting them in the muck at the lake bottom. Not too shabby that comes with a sequel!!! ... 5.0/8
Old 11-02-17, 08:37 PM
All Yappi

Krampus (2015)

Horror: A young boy who loses X-mas faith accidentally unleashes the wrath of an ancient evil spirit named Krampus. Some good bloody ole fun here!!!! ... 6.0/8

If These Walls Could Talk (2017)

Horror: A woman who's brother recently committed suicide believes she is being haunted by him. Very low budget, what started as somewhat interesting fell apart and got destroyed by a stupid twist.... 1.0/8
Old 11-03-17, 05:39 AM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
House of Wax (1953) - Vincent Price and Carolyn Jones (the future Morticia Addams from TV fame). Very good 1950's horror film and one of Vince Price's best. It was obviously filmed for 3D (although I watched it in 2D) with the can can girls and the guy with paddle balls being somewhat distracting.

6/8
Old 11-05-17, 09:45 AM
All World

Get Out (2017) - Scary funny movie. The concept of the story was very good and I have to say it did a good job of showing white wealthy liberal racism which very much exists in our society. The story starts as a simple Black urban guy in a wealthy white suburban setting and then goes in the direction of big time crazy after that. The Black guy's TSA employed friend adds the laughs and enhances the over all story.

It was a well crafted film that was very scary in all the right spots and ditto for the laughs.

6/8
Old 11-05-17, 10:13 AM
All World

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
Get Out (2017) - Scary funny movie. The concept of the story was very good and I have to say it did a good job of showing white wealthy liberal racism which very much exists in our society. The story starts as a simple Black urban guy in a wealthy white suburban setting and then goes in the direction of big time crazy after that. The Black guy's TSA employed friend adds the laughs and enhances the over all story.

It was a well crafted film that was very scary in all the right spots and ditto for the laughs.

6/8
I thought Get Out was one of the better horror films of the last decade. It was extremely well written and the plot twists were ones that you couldn’t see coming. I give it a 7 or 7.5.
Old 11-05-17, 10:51 AM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
3/8 War for the Planet of the Apes. This got good reviews? Forced plot, things happened just because. Boring ending. Stereotypes, "Southern accented good-ol boy" (hint: racist redneck) Colonel.....
I have been under the weather so I binge watched the three new ones this weekend. My oldest son said they were pretty good. They were ok. Not great. I could see how teenagers liked it. But War was the weakest of the three I thought. Don't know anything about the reviews.
Old 11-05-17, 05:05 PM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Thor: Ragnarok 7.3/8

While I knew it was heavy on comedy and knew it was getting great reviews, I found myself leaving the theater surprised at just how much I liked this movie. Not only is it hilarious, but it had good action and more "heart" than I expected. If you like the Thor character, this is likely the version of the character you've been waiting to see. My daughter and I were ready to get right back in line for tickets to another showing.

Great performances by the entire cast, though I didn't love the Jeff Goldbloom character as much as critics did. That may change in repeat viewings. The chemistry between the 4 leads (Thor, Loki, Hulk, Valkryie) is flawless and they all work perfectly off of each other. You can genuinely tell that every actor in this movie had a blast making it.

Anthony Hopkins adds the heart to the film. Cate Blanchett and Karl Urban are more than solid as the villains. They aren't at the top of Marvel's onscreen villains, but they aren't even close to being near the bottom either.

I'm not surprised that it had a great opening weekend at $121M. I'm actually surprised it didn't do about $8M more. I thought it would be in the $115M range before seeing it. Then I went to a 9:30AM Saturday morning showing in Beavercreek, and I knew it was going to have a great weekend. Despite being a 9:30AM Saturday morning showing, the theater was 80% full. That and of course the movie being very good.

Last edited by PantherProud; 11-05-17 at 05:15 PM.
Old 11-05-17, 06:56 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
The Witch: A New-England Folktale (2015) 7/8
(Stylized as: The VVitch)

I'm not much into horror movies, but this was a surprisingly good flick. A story set in 1630's New England, with a devout Puritan family filled with fearful paranoia and obsessed with religion, superstitions, evil and sin. A self-fulfilling prophecy.
Old 11-06-17, 08:18 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
The Witch: A New-England Folktale (2015) 7/8
(Stylized as: The VVitch)

I'm not much into horror movies, but this was a surprisingly good flick. A story set in 1630's New England, with a devout Puritan family filled with fearful paranoia and obsessed with religion, superstitions, evil and sin. A self-fulfilling prophecy.
I saw this in the theater and thought it was an outstading film and creepy as all get out.
Old 11-06-17, 08:21 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyTrojan05 View Post
I thought Get Out was one of the better horror films of the last decade. It was extremely well written and the plot twists were ones that you couldn’t see coming. I give it a 7 or 7.5.
I graded it a bit harder but agree that it was a fine film. USA Today picked Daniel Kaluuya as a Oscar contender for best actor and I agree.
Old 11-07-17, 07:38 AM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enoughfish82 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherProud View Post
Thor: Ragnarok 7.3/8

While I knew it was heavy on comedy and knew it was getting great reviews, I found myself leaving the theater surprised at just how much I liked this movie. Not only is it hilarious, but it had good action and more "heart" than I expected. If you like the Thor character, this is likely the version of the character you've been waiting to see. My daughter and I were ready to get right back in line for tickets to another showing.

Great performances by the entire cast, though I didn't love the Jeff Goldbloom character as much as critics did. That may change in repeat viewings. The chemistry between the 4 leads (Thor, Loki, Hulk, Valkryie) is flawless and they all work perfectly off of each other. You can genuinely tell that every actor in this movie had a blast making it.

Anthony Hopkins adds the heart to the film. Cate Blanchett and Karl Urban are more than solid as the villains. They aren't at the top of Marvel's onscreen villains, but they aren't even close to being near the bottom either.

I'm not surprised that it had a great opening weekend at $121M. I'm actually surprised it didn't do about $8M more. I thought it would be in the $115M range before seeing it. Then I went to a 9:30AM Saturday morning showing in Beavercreek, and I knew it was going to have a great weekend. Despite being a 9:30AM Saturday morning showing, the theater was 80% full. That and of course the movie being very good.
Pretty much agreed on all counts. My expectations were high, and they were exceeded.

Mrs. Fish even liked it...so that's saying something.
Old 11-07-17, 07:56 AM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish82 View Post
Pretty much agreed on all counts. My expectations were high, and they were exceeded.

Mrs. Fish even liked it...so that's saying something.

and as far as taking kids, I think it was pretty safe. Safer than either of the Guardians of the Galaxy movies as far as content goes.

Probably the worst thing said is a very loose reference to the concept of orgies, but unless the kid knows what an orgy is, they aren't going to get it.

Other than that, just a joke about The Hulk being naked.
Old 11-07-17, 09:31 AM
All World

Vamps you'll like this... First time ever seeing Donnie Darko last night. Very weird but pretty good. Not going to give it an 8 but its a solid 6.
Old 11-07-17, 09:41 AM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enoughfish82 will become famous soon enough
Donnie Darko is in the same category as The Big Leboswski for me...I guess I'm just not cool enough to get what all the fuss is about.
Old 11-08-17, 10:06 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyTrojan05 View Post
Vamps you'll like this... First time ever seeing Donnie Darko last night. Very weird but pretty good. Not going to give it an 8 but its a solid 6.
Did you see the regular version or the directors cut?

The regular version which I guess would be the theatrical one is better....
Old 11-08-17, 10:15 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish82 View Post
Donnie Darko is in the same category as The Big Leboswski for me...I guess I'm just not cool enough to get what all the fuss is about.
I've seen it over 20 times and every time I notice something I never noticed before.... I have a Donnie Darko poster on my wall and every time I stare at it I see something in it that I did not notice before.... it is very strange....

Donnie Darko is all about being in the right state of mind.... I'm not talking about being on drugs as I do not do that stuff but free of distractions so one can focus and pay attention to what is happening. It is a low budget film in which most of the actors did it for little or no pay at all because they fell in love with the script. The character development is amazing and this film has been studied in colleges and one can take classes on it.....I mean, what would you do if a giant bunny told you that the world was coming to an end in 28 days 6 hours 42 minutes and 12 seconds???
Old 11-08-17, 10:25 PM
All Yappi

The Wicker Tree (UK-2011)

Horror: A gospel singer and her cowboy boyfriend travel from Texas to Scotland to preach Christianity in a small village where they feel welcomed but the villagers have a sinister plan for them.... I guess you can figure out what is going on here by the title.... A far cry from the original "Wicker Man" ... 3.5/8

Spare Parts (UK-1973)

Horror: Transplant patients who share the same donor start to act strangely as if they have been taken over by the spirit of the revengeful donor. Great premise here but falls short in the end.... 4.5/8
Old 11-12-17, 12:56 PM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
The Magnificent Seven - 3/8

Not good at all. Worst western I've seen in awhile.
Old 11-12-17, 04:29 PM
All World

I've rewatched two films this weekend.

Battleship Potemkin (1925) - A nearly flawless film. Its influence can still be seen in films 92 years later. 8/8

The Great Escape (1963) - Ditto for this one, although only 54 years of influence. 8/8

I am getting ready to watch Casablanca (1942) on the big screen for the first time with a couple 17 year olds. It should be interesting. It will round out my 8/8 weekend.
Old 11-13-17, 07:04 AM
All World

Casablanca (1942) - Seeing it on the big screen was a revelation. Having seen it four or five times before, I know the story very well. No surprises there. But to be able to see the worry wrinkles already developing around Rick's eyes and to better see the admiration in Ilsa's eyes when Victor leads the bar patrons in singing “La Marseillaise” was a very special movie experience. I wish I could have seen it projected from a clean/restored film rather than a digital projection as I could see the pixilization in Ilsa's radiant face, but even with that, it was a wonderful way to see the film. The two seventeen year olds who attended with me were overwhelmed by the experience.

8/8 but you already knew that.

Last edited by Purplemojo; 11-13-17 at 07:37 AM.
Old 11-13-17, 07:18 AM
All American

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Rogue one
6/8 best star wars since the original trilogy
Old 11-14-17, 10:35 PM
All Yappi

Get Out (2017)

Horror: A different type of "Meet The Parents" ... A black guy must meet the parents of his white girlfriends rich parents in suburbia.... It does not take long for him to figure out something is just not right ..... refreshing horror proving that a low budget film without explosions is much better than 100 million dollar CGI crap!!! .... 6.0/8
Old 11-15-17, 01:55 PM
All World

Nerve- 5/8. Wasn't expecting much from it but it was better than anticipated.
Old 11-15-17, 04:52 PM
All Yappi

The Scarehouse (Canada-2014)

Horror: A couple of college girls do a haunted house to scare college kids but things might get too real... 4.5/8

The Old Dark House (UK-1963)

Horror: Hammer film.... remake of original but this version is loosely based and a spoof. An American car salesman gets invited by a friend to visit his family home but finds the family to be eccentric and becomes suspicious when family members are being killed off. Why can't we just make them scary.... not a big fan of spoofs but the characters were interesting enough to keep me in it... 4.5/8
Old 11-15-17, 04:55 PM
All Yappi

Ghosts of Hanley House (US-1968)

Horror: One friend makes a bet with another that if he spends the night in the Hanley House and still does not believe in ghosts that he would give him his car. Nothing funny about this one and that is the way I like it. Atmosphere was decent but it was hard at times to make out what was being said.... 5.0/8
Old 11-15-17, 09:37 PM
All Yappi

Refuge (2013)

Horror: A plague wipes out about everyone so it is pretty much every man for himself. A family's only hope of surviving is to hide but eventually somebody will find you.... Indie low budget grind that holds it own. If you are looking for an action packed film stay far away from this one and no there are no zombies. Not to bad for what it is... 4.5/8
Old 11-20-17, 04:19 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Gangs of NY. 6/8 Not sure it had a point but was an interesting period piece. Revisionist in that it's ending was a view from across the river, Twin Towers prominent and then the credit: Harvey Weinstein. Was the movie completed before that attacks? Twin Towers, not Weinstein's.

When they're done with the statues, I imagine attention will be drawn towards wiping out literature, art and hollywood movies made by the newly despised.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: