Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-01-17, 02:25 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Mindhunter

Excellent show on Netflix about the FBI agents/researchers delving into the minds of serial killers.

I'd rate it above True Detective as the show keeps the same high end level all the way through. As good as true detective was for a while, the ending was awful.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-17, 02:26 PM
All World

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
I have really enjoyed it thus far.
Old 11-01-17, 03:07 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
I liked it. Sometimes the dialogue or acting was weird. Only complaint.

Guy who played Ed Kemper was fantastic.
Old 11-01-17, 04:53 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
No doubt. I felt like I was going to be attacked, let alone the agents. That last scene...

Dialouge: I came to conclusion that Ford is supposed to be weird. Tench plays off him much better that way. Certainly he's a bit sociopath, little understanding or empathy. Home schooled. Tench could be a DBer.

I don't know if analogies between Ford and that Prinicipal were meant, but I drew them. Both absolutely refused to listen to people they should trust telling them they were out of line.

So who is that person they're setting up for next season? I suppose I could google, since they use real killers. Kansas wasn't it?
Old 11-01-17, 05:00 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Holden is definitely a weird guy, but the issues I had with some of the dialogue were more about flow and delivery. Sometimes the conversations felt like people reading disjointed lines.

The most popular theory is the BTK killer.
Old 11-01-17, 05:03 PM
All World

Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
No doubt. I felt like I was going to be attacked, let alone the agents. That last scene...

Dialouge: I came to conclusion that Ford is supposed to be weird. Tench plays off him much better that way. Certainly he's a bit sociopath, little understanding or empathy. Home schooled. Tench could be a DBer.

I don't know if analogies between Ford and that Prinicipal were meant, but I drew them. Both absolutely refused to listen to people they should trust telling them they were out of line.

So who is that person they're setting up for next season? I suppose I could google, since they use real killers. Kansas wasn't it?
At least part of next season, which won't be out until 2019, will be centered around the child abductions and murders in ATL in the early 80s. The guy in Kansas wasn't actually caught until '05. My guess is they're planning the series finale around him.
Old 11-01-17, 05:07 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
I liked it. Sometimes the dialogue or acting was weird. Only complaint.

Guy who played Ed Kemper was fantastic.
Kemper was definitely the standout, but I thought the 3 lead actors were very good as well. The guy who played Tench doesn't get enough credit.
He's perceived as the foil to Holden, but they go out of their way to avoid the old cop/young cop cliche.
Old 11-01-17, 05:08 PM
All Yappi

Disjointed line: yeah I can see that. Maybe it's that first season stuff, actors getting their timing down.

BTK

Google

ah
Old 11-01-17, 05:10 PM
All American

Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
There's zero doubt it's the BTK killer. He was based in Witchita Kansas,, began killing in the late 70's, and worked for ADT. The actor even looks like the real guy.

Very good show. Definitely had a Fincher-esque feel. One could almost call it a spiritual sequel to Zodiac.

I could have done without almost all the scenes with Holden & his girlfriend. Could use a little more Tench.

As others said, the guy who played Kemper is fantastic and deserves an Emmy nomination.

Season 2 is apparently going to cover the Atlanta Child Murders and BTK apparently. But knowing Fincher, it probably won't come out until 2020.
Old 11-01-17, 09:16 PM
All Yappi

If they needed gratuitous sex I'd have voted for the hot doc and her girlfriend. The girlfriend thing, giving him someone to talk pyscho-babble with and lose his upbringing with made sense but most of their scenes just didn't work. They seemed more like strangers.
Old 11-02-17, 09:54 AM
All World

Quote:
If they needed gratuitous sex I'd have voted for the hot doc and her girlfriend. The girlfriend thing, giving him someone to talk pyscho-babble with and lose his upbringing with made sense but most of their scenes just didn't work. They seemed more like strangers.
It was pretty clear they wanted to parallel his interaction with women vs the interactions of the serial killers. I think the dialogue was a little stale, but the rest of the series was so good, it didn't matter.
Old 11-02-17, 03:56 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
It was pretty clear they wanted to parallel his interaction with women vs the interactions of the serial killers. I think the dialogue was a little stale, but the rest of the series was so good, it didn't matter.
If by "clear" you mean, "went over East's head," you'd be correct. I whiffed that one.
Old 11-02-17, 06:57 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
Interesting

I thought it was clear that by the end of the season he was more comfortable around the serial killers than his partner, his girlfriend or pretty much anyone else on the show.
Old 11-03-17, 07:52 AM
All World

Quote:
If by "clear" you mean, "went over East's head," you'd be correct. I whiffed that one.
I'm a creepy weirdo, so it made sense to me.
Old 11-05-17, 08:15 PM
All Region

Max Grumbleman is on a distinguished road
I was a little let down, possibly due to the hype. It's not bad, though. I'd give it a 7/10.

1. I thought the performance from the lead (Holden Ford played by Johnathan Groff) was generally weak. I get that the character is an eccentric, but I was never convinced. Great performances, like what we get from most of the actors playing serial killers, are so good that you forget they're acting, but Goff never managed that level in my view.

2. I agree the assessment that the dialogue was choppy at times.

3. All of the home life material (Holden's girlfriend, Tench's adopted, damaged son and ungrateful wife, the psychologist being in a lesbianic relationship with a self-absorbed academic) was unnecessary. The subject matter is enough to elicit emotional connections to the characters from the audience.

4. Some of the "side missions" that took up entire episodes were boring. The family murder was the only interesting one. The foot tickler? Come on. I expect better from you, Fincher.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: