Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-30-17, 09:05 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
2017 Coaching Carousel

It technically started when Gary Anderson tapped out at Oregon State but nobody really cares about the Beavers program. On the other hand with Jim McElwain being let go some consider Florida a top 10 gig as it has recent National titles to go along with killer facilities and most importantly location in the #1 recruited state in the sport. With apologizes to Texas A&M and Tennessee this will be the best job to probably open in the SEC and will most likely get 1st dibs on anyone that wants to jump into the SEC. My $s are on Dan Mullen as it makes the most sense and he has pretty much hit his ceiling at Miss State. Some other names mentioned are Chip Kelly, Scott Frost, and Justin Fuente. Chip Kelly might wait for UCLA to open up and stay out west, Scott Frost may be destined to head back home to Nebraska when that one opens up and Justin Fuente may not feel liking moving the family so quickly and the word is he is happy at a low pressure gig like Va Tech.

Another interesting name to keep an eye on while the carousel is spinning is Matt Campbell. My guess is that this guy along with Scott Frost will be a primary target for Nebraska but it is interesting to see that some SEC boards have fans showing reluctance to this guy because he is too "Yankee" and might not be wired into the SEC culture. Funny because those Yankee guys like Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, and Les Miles have fared well in the SEC.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-17, 09:28 AM
All Yappi

redskin17 is on a distinguished road
Mullen is at Miss St for a reason, remember how the domestic violence issue from his big recruit was handled, will turn people off. Meyer left Florida a mess, not sure they are ready to turn back to a Meyer person yet. There are also things from his past, cant remember right now, but led him not even getting an interview last time.

One rumor is UF likes the Memphis coach.

As for Tennessee, they will do like always, try for a big hire and strike out. Will end up with Brohm.

If A&M part ways with Sumlin, that would be the best opening in the SEC. The right coach there will pose more of a threat to Bama than any other school. A&M's move to the SEC helped them a lot. Tons of money and don't have to deal with Texas. The perception has changed a lot in the state. I could see Chip Kelly going there, but not sure he wants to coach in the SEC.
Old 10-30-17, 10:12 AM
All American

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
If Texas stays down it probably adds to the appeal as well
Old 10-30-17, 02:20 PM
All Yappi

Willie Taggart is the latest name to be associated with Florida.
Old 10-30-17, 03:21 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
Another interesting name to keep an eye on while the carousel is spinning is Matt Campbell. My guess is that this guy along with Scott Frost will be a primary target for Nebraska but it is interesting to see that some SEC boards have fans showing reluctance to this guy because he is too "Yankee" and might not be wired into the SEC culture. Funny because those Yankee guys like Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, and Les Miles have fared well in the SEC.
Not to mention, Scott Frost. Yankee with a western twinge.
Old 10-31-17, 02:30 PM
All World

Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Gruden's name keeps coming up for the UT job and I don't get it. He's been out of coaching nearly a decade and never was a HC in CF.
Old 10-31-17, 02:32 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
If Texas stays down it probably adds to the appeal as well
Texas is on the rise and with Baylor being dead, it's only going to help recruiting.
Old 11-02-17, 07:59 AM
All Yappi

Looks like Scott Frost is the Tom Herman of 2017. He will have his pick of gigs and a lot of SEC guys are saying it will be Florida but Tennessee and Texas A&M will also make a run. Also a lot of chatter that if Frost passes on Nebraska the Huskers new AD wants to pay that huge buyout for Campbell and make a big splash as he thinks Campbell is the perfect guy for Nebraska. Texas A&M also is considering the Campbell move if they cannot get Frost as they are desperate to keep the alums happy and to fill that huge stadium expansion they just paid for.
Old 11-02-17, 09:31 AM
Varsity

J.R. Swish is on a distinguished road
If Shannon wins some games the rest of the way he may get a shot with Gators too. Frost to Nebraska. Campbell can pick his school probably. Chip Kelly at UCLA is a hot rumor too as he likes the west coast.
Old 11-07-17, 08:13 AM
All Yappi

Rumor- Jimbo to Texas AM
Old 11-07-17, 08:27 AM
All American

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
That makes zero sense to me.
Old 11-07-17, 08:41 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Unless he is looking for a few more years or a bump in pay during a historically down year.
Old 11-07-17, 09:19 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by redskin17 View Post
Rumor- Jimbo to Texas AM
I don't buy it.
Old 11-08-17, 12:07 PM
Yappi Supporter

FormerWildcat is on a distinguished road
Want to be Ole Miss' head coach? Here's your chance!

https://jobs.olemiss.edu/postings/12800
Old 11-12-17, 12:21 PM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
It's official: Butch is out at Tennessee. Former Michigan coach Brady Hoke will be running the show the rest of the season.

Campbell to Rocky Top?
Old 11-12-17, 01:31 PM
All American

KingKong24 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwwarrior09 View Post
It's official: Butch is out at Tennessee. Former Michigan coach Brady Hoke will be running the show the rest of the season.

Campbell to Rocky Top?
I saw Missouri 50 Tennessee 17 scroll by on the ticker last night and was like yep he probably won’t see the end of the season.
Old 11-12-17, 01:34 PM
All American

Quote:
Boosters want him. Can't afford him though
Old 11-12-17, 04:29 PM
All World

Butch is finally gone at UT. All rumors point to Gruden, but that doesn't seem realistic.
Old 11-13-17, 12:17 AM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
I can't believe Gruden would even remotely consider giving up calling MNF games and doing his SportsCenter segments for $6.5 million a year to take a job like Tennessee that's not very good at the moment and would have high pressure/expectations from day one. It would be a major roll of the dice as well for Tennessee as he's never been a college head coach and has been out of coaching for nearly a decade. This seems to be getting a lot of play due to him having been a GA there long ago. I'm just not seeing it.
Old 11-13-17, 07:46 AM
All American

I don't get why people keep bringing up Gruden every year. If he wanted to coach, he would be doing it by now. He hasn't coached in what, 10 years? He hasn't coached college since a single year at Pitt in 1991, he isn't going to be some messiah these people think he is.
Old 11-13-17, 08:05 AM
All American

It's Tennessee fans. They are delusional
Old 11-13-17, 09:11 AM
All World

Quote:
I don't get why people keep bringing up Gruden every year. If he wanted to coach, he would be doing it by now. He hasn't coached in what, 10 years? He hasn't coached college since a single year at Pitt in 1991, he isn't going to be some messiah these people think he is.
It's mostly bc his son is an undergrad at UT. I think he'd be a total disaster. Much better off going after Matt Campbell or Scott Frost.
Old 11-13-17, 09:28 AM
Yappi Supporter

FormerWildcat is on a distinguished road
It's going to cost UT a total of $13 million to get rid of Butch and his staff. That ain't peanuts.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/butch-j...ootball-coach/

Quote:
Jones was making $4.1 million annually and has a contract that runs through Feb. 28, 2021. According to the letter of dismissal Currie sent Sunday, the school owes Jones a buyout of $8.26 million. Currie said Sunday that the buyout for the entire staff is in the "$13 million range," though that figure could be mitigated depending on when and where Jones and his assistants are able to find work.
Old 11-13-17, 10:04 AM
All American

I read somewhere he'll get $206k a month for the next 40 months.
Old 11-13-17, 10:19 AM
All American

I think Sumlin's was to the tune of 10.4 million not including assistants. Sumlin waxed them
Old 11-13-17, 10:56 AM
All Yappi

I have a feeling Campbell doesn't go anywhere this year as he doesn't seem to be the kind of guy who wants to deal with the SEC grind and then there is that buyout. I am thinking that Mike Leach grabs one of these open SEC spots and Tennessee is a perfect fit for him. Frost or Taggert to Florida and possibly the one that doesn't get that gig goes to Nebraska?
Old 11-13-17, 11:04 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
The Nebraska Lear jet was supposedly in Toledo. Many credit those that stayed in Toledo for that success, not Campbell. Hard to tell. Heacock on D was the real star and Iowa St's fortunes changed more after he left Toledo for Ames, then during Campbell's first year.

I can see some teams taking Candle over Campbell, particularly if they can get Heacock in the bargain. What would surprise, if Lincoln was interviewing Candle to see if he'd be part of getting the old gang back together, Campbell at head, Candle on O and Heacock on D. Why obliterate one program if you can get a two-fer?
Old 11-13-17, 11:05 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
I have a feeling Campbell doesn't go anywhere this year as he doesn't seem to be the kind of guy who wants to deal with the SEC grind and then there is that buyout. I am thinking that Mike Leach grabs one of these open SEC spots and Tennessee is a perfect fit for him. Frost or Taggert to Florida and possibly the one that doesn't get that gig goes to Nebraska?
I can't see Taggert leaving Oregon after 1 yr.
Old 11-13-17, 11:36 AM
All Yappi

Leach will not coach in the SEC. Chip has a show clause, so he may not end up in the SEC either.

Mullen- to Tenn is a hot rumor, I think that is more likely than him at Florida.
Kiffin- to Miss St
Frost- Neb unless UF jumps fast
Norvell to Arky unless Mullen goes to UF, then I see him at Tenn. Butch Davis could up at Arky as well.
Morris to TAM, though they will make a big push and throw a lot of money at Jimbo, I to think Chip would be a perfect fit, but sounds like he will end up at UCLA.
McIlwain to Ore St.
If Frost and Mullen don't end up at Florida, I think it will be Campbell, though Strong and Taggert may get a look.
Old 11-13-17, 03:32 PM
All Yappi

Well rumor has it Chip Kelly to Florida might be a done deal, person who broke McIlwain's firing breaking this one.

Last edited by redskin17; 11-13-17 at 04:02 PM..