Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-26-17, 09:57 AM
All American

serpico is on a distinguished road
Mercy Rule/Running clock approved

https://twitter.com/OHSAASports/stat...43291496452096
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-17, 10:15 AM
All American

trey2k is an unknown quantity at this point
I had some skepticism when they did this with football, but I actually like it. It gets a game that's pretty much over....over.
Old 10-26-17, 10:39 AM
All American

Zezzo! is on a distinguished road
Girls,Boys both?
Old 10-26-17, 10:45 AM
All American

CometCountry is on a distinguished road
I believe the rule is only being used in tournament games, so it will still be as usual for regular season games--that way subs way down in the pecking order can see some action in regular season blow-outs--good for those kids who only play in blow-outs in the 4th quarter.
Old 10-26-17, 11:55 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
The tweet says it's for the tournament only. No more 106-2 or whatever that notoriously lopsided girls tournament score was from 2 years ago.
Old 10-26-17, 12:40 PM
All Yappi

thePITman is on a distinguished road
Even in the boys, SVSM avoiding the bye and playing a 1-win team to start the tournament...

Hiland comes to mind for girls basketball. I would argue the disparity between the best and worst teams in girls basketball is larger than in boys basketball, so I think there's more to be gained with girls by implementing this rule.
Old 10-26-17, 03:16 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
35 seems like a reasonable number. Saw the first time last week a football team get the running clock and had a chance to tie the game on their last possession. I suspect that 35 in basketball won't have many times where that happens.
Old 10-26-17, 03:28 PM
Fan of Eagle

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
I could see some confusion on this, and do not know if this is necessary in basketball
Old 10-26-17, 03:34 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Wouldn't want to be the clock operator in a game where the lead hovers between 30 and 40...... would be a nightmare after a while.
Old 10-26-17, 04:33 PM
All District

Trailsendcustom is on a distinguished road
Great, just like in football, I expect coaches to leave their starters in way longer than necessary for the victory just to ensure a running clock...
Old 10-26-17, 04:35 PM
All Region

SLAGuy is on a distinguished road
Why not make it 40 and the clock runs even if the losing team gets it under 40 later in the game.
Old 10-26-17, 04:45 PM
All American

CometCountry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
I could see some confusion on this, and do not know if this is necessary in basketball
Since it's just the tourney games I don't see it coming into play often--biggest margin last year in the D1 Cincy Sectional games was Oak Hills beating Talawanda by 30 and Princeton beating Colerain by 29.

Might need the clock in just a few occasions--of course football does it for regular season games as well.
Old 10-26-17, 05:55 PM
All Yappi

bucksman will become famous soon enough
In NE Ohio, teams can't "avoid the bye" any longer as well with the "NCAA-style seeding/bracketing". That's on a non-related note.

I agree there are more "numbers" put up on the girls side. That said, I think it's a good rule for those early round tournament games where everyone knows what's going to happen, and you can't avoid the game being played through more prudent scheduling (tournament vs. regular season)
Old 10-26-17, 10:18 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Here is the official announcement from the OHSAA:

Quote:
The board approved a new item in the basketball tournament regulations (girls and boys) that calls for a running clock in the second half of tournament games if the score differential reaches 35 points. The running clock will remain in effect unless the score differential falls under 30 points. The running clock regulation is only for the tournament, beginning at the sectional level.
The running clock will start at 35 points but will not go back to normal unless the score gets below 30 points.
Old 10-27-17, 08:10 AM
All Ohio

DaPope is on a distinguished road
My belief is if you are going to have this it should be in the regular season and not in the tournament. I believe they should do the same for football. Might as well give teams the chance at that miracle comeback!
Old 10-27-17, 08:30 AM
All World

AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailsendcustom View Post
Great, just like in football, I expect coaches to leave their starters in way longer than necessary for the victory just to ensure a running clock...
So when do you expect the coaches to start emptying their benches?
Old 10-27-17, 08:37 AM
All World

AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometCountry View Post
Since it's just the tourney games I don't see it coming into play often--biggest margin last year in the D1 Cincy Sectional games was Oak Hills beating Talawanda by 30 and Princeton beating Colerain by 29.

Might need the clock in just a few occasions--of course football does it for regular season games as well.
This will come into play primarily at the Sectional Level (typically 1st round) in Girls Basketball. There will be some Boys' games that are affected, but typically the large disparity in point differential occurs during Girls' early round games.
Old 10-27-17, 09:40 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Here is the official announcement from the OHSAA:

The running clock will start at 35 points but will not go back to normal unless the score gets below 30 points.
Is there a release to state if there are any situations under which the running clock would stop (most notably during foul shots)?
Old 10-27-17, 11:01 AM
Freshman

Snowman8 is on a distinguished road
^In other states it usually continues through free throws. Only during timeouts and long delays where the officials call time will it be stopped (I would assume).

People are really making too big a deal of this. Nobody is going to make a miracle comeback from 35 points down, and like it was mentioned once the score gets below 30 it goes back to normal. Any team that gets down by 35 in the second half of a tournament game clearly isn't good enough to come back. And on the off chance that they do make 10 threes in a row while stopping their opponent quickly each time, the game would have proceeded as normal for most of that anyways.
Old 10-27-17, 12:38 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
Is there a release to state if there are any situations under which the running clock would stop (most notably during foul shots)?
probably timeouts and injuries
Old 10-27-17, 02:10 PM
All Ohio

Andy27 is on a distinguished road
So this will affect two sets of games pretty much, and that's it.
Old 10-30-17, 03:23 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
No need for this stupid rule. Unlike football when there is a risk of injury it really is not a factor in basketball. Let the kids play that normally don't see the floor. Once again, the woosification (sp?) of America which is leading us in a constant downward spiral.....
Old 10-31-17, 09:39 AM
All World

Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
No need for this stupid rule. Unlike football when there is a risk of injury it really is not a factor in basketball. Let the kids play that normally don't see the floor. Once again, the woosification (sp?) of America which is leading us in a constant downward spiral.....
Stop being so dramatic

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 10-31-17, 03:15 PM
All District

IVCguy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePITman View Post
Even in the boys, SVSM avoiding the bye and playing a 1-win team to start the tournament...

Hiland comes to mind for girls basketball. I would argue the disparity between the best and worst teams in girls basketball is larger than in boys basketball, so I think there's more to be gained with girls by implementing this rule.
As a parent of a pair of former Hawks - a boy and a girl - I totally support this. I am a veteran of having to watch 4 girls Hiland-Toronto games. Just awful. Truly most of those games could have been 200+ to zip. Such was the disparity in skill. It was hard to explain to people who werent there how 92-4 actually represented serious restraint. The boys played a sectional game against E Liverpool Christian in 07 and it was something like 35 to 0 after 1 and 50 to 4 at half. So, for those situations, this is an overdue good idea.

But I still think you will see some scores that are ugly in girls basketball because I think coaches of superior teams will play hard for a half with 1s and 2s and there will be some 75-2 halftimes. But a running clock helps end the misery for all.
Old 10-31-17, 05:15 PM
All Ohio

Blue Jay Fan is on a distinguished road
There is no shot clock in HS so a vastly superior team can essentially control the margin.
Old 11-13-17, 10:08 AM
Junior Varsity

arnie palmer is on a distinguished road
OHSAA behind the times as usual. We have been using this in North Carolina for the last 2 seasons for both regular season and tourneys.

More simlified as well, any time lead gets to 40 points in the second half, then clock runs rest of the game (even if it gets under 40 at any time during the game).