Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #121  
Old 10-31-17, 01:25 PM
Saint Columban Saint Columban is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 08-11-11
Posts: 260
Saint Columban is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
I'm not sure Georgia is that much better than Oklahoma. If they played on a neutral field, the line would likely be close to even.
You think the EXACT same thing couldn't be said for usc/ncstate or msu vs penn state?


Quote:
What do you define as a "good" win?
well this explains why you cannot comprehend the idea of comparing schedules and focus entirely on ohios latest win.

Quote:
Why are you finding it difficult to give a straight answer about who has the better win?
again just like your point of putting Georgia against Oklahoma on a neutral field, 3 of notre dames opponents are absolutely capable of beating penn state. so you already explained this to yourself when you couldn't give a straight answer about the worse loss, if you let go of your osu bias long enough to notice.

lol starting to question if im talking to a child
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #122  
Old 10-31-17, 01:33 PM
Neopolitan Neopolitan is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-12-16
Posts: 2,372
Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Columban View Post
You think the EXACT same thing couldn't be said for usc/ncstate or msu vs penn state?
Penn State would be double digit favorites against NC State.

Quote:
this explains why you cannot comprehend the idea of comparing schedules and focus entirely on ohios latest win.
"Good" is subjective. I'm wondering what your definition of a good win is. Why is that difficult to answer?

Quote:
3 of notre dames opponents are absolutely capable of beating penn state, so you already explained this to yourself
Every team is "capable" of beating every team. But Penn State would be favored over all of the teams ND has defeated. You disagree?
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 10-31-17, 01:38 PM
zeeman zeeman is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-22-11
Location: in a galaxy far far away
Posts: 5,212
zeeman is on a distinguished road
Nobody can say with a straight face that tOSU would not be in the top four IF they run the table. They would have two top five wins, undefeated conference record and only loss was to a top five team.

IF all plays out as expected you will see IMHO:

Alabama 13-0 #1 seed (Best wins Georgia and Auburn)
tOSU 12-1 #2 seed (best wins Penn St. Wisconsin) (Worse loss OU)
Georgia 11-1 #3 seed (best win ND Auburn) (Worse loss Bama)
Oklahoma 12-1 #4 seed (best win tOSU and TCU) (Worse loss Iowa St.)

ND out with 0 top five wins (worse loss Georgia) (best win Miami)
Clemson out with no top five wins (best win Auburn) (worse loss Cuse)
Penn State out with no top five wins (best win Michigan) (worse loss tOSU)
Wisconsin out with no top five wins (best win Michigan) (worse loss tOSU)
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 10-31-17, 01:41 PM
CincyHSFootballFan CincyHSFootballFan is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 08-28-06
Posts: 2,218
CincyHSFootballFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
Penn State would be double digit favorites against NC State.



"Good" is subjective. I'm wondering what your definition of a good win is. Why is that difficult to answer?



Every team is "capable" of beating every team. But Penn State would be favored over all of the teams ND has defeated. You disagree?
Listen how about you tell us what your rankings are right now and where you have Ohio State... because your argument is waisted breath and makes zero sense.

After looking at Clemson closer I see why they could be put ahead of OSU, they have two good wins, vs Auburn and vs Virginia Tech. Not saying I don't think OslSU may have a better argument but if you want a legit arguemant it's with Clemson, not ND or Oklahoma for that case.
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 10-31-17, 01:42 PM
fish82 fish82 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-16-05
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 11,493
fish82 will become famous soon enoughfish82 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Columban View Post
a 1 point loss to Georgia is a lot better than 15 to Oklahoma, and that game wasn't as close as the score.
It was 17-13 at the start of the 4th quarter. OU outgained OSU by about 130 total yards.

Looks like a typical 2-score win to me.
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 10-31-17, 01:44 PM
CincyHSFootballFan CincyHSFootballFan is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 08-28-06
Posts: 2,218
CincyHSFootballFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeman View Post
Nobody can say with a straight face that tOSU would not be in the top four IF they run the table. They would have two top five wins, undefeated conference record and only loss was to a top five team.

IF all plays out as expected you will see IMHO:

Alabama 13-0 #1 seed (Best wins Georgia and Auburn)
tOSU 12-1 #2 seed (best wins Penn St. Wisconsin) (Worse loss OU)
Georgia 11-1 #3 seed (best win ND Auburn) (Worse loss Bama)
Oklahoma 12-1 #4 seed (best win tOSU and TCU) (Worse loss Iowa St.)

ND out with 0 top five wins (worse loss Georgia) (best win Miami)
Clemson out with no top five wins (best win Auburn) (worse loss Cuse)
Penn State out with no top five wins (best win Michigan) (worse loss tOSU)
Wisconsin out with no top five wins (best win Michigan) (worse loss tOSU)
No one uses that arguement of wins based off where they were ranked. Lol Alabama currently has a top 5 victory then. Penn State is not a top 5 win. Wisconsin may not be a top 5 win either. A pretty good chance neither are top five wins.
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 10-31-17, 01:51 PM
Crusaders Crusaders is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-06-04
Location: Not Cincinnati
Posts: 33,583
Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Seems unlikely Penn State will lose again this year
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 10-31-17, 01:57 PM
CincyHSFootballFan CincyHSFootballFan is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 08-28-06
Posts: 2,218
CincyHSFootballFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
Seems unlikely Penn State will lose again this year
if Penn State gets back to the top five it will be due to Ohio State and Wisconsin losing. Lets be honest, Wisconsin will plummet if they lose a game before the title game. They have beaten no one. UCF actually has a gripe with where they are ranked compared to Wisconsin. UCF blew out a top 25 team.
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 10-31-17, 02:00 PM
zeeman zeeman is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-22-11
Location: in a galaxy far far away
Posts: 5,212
zeeman is on a distinguished road
More food for thought (except for CHSFF who obviously doesn't)

SOS in combined polls

tOSU plays 5 top 25 teams
ND plays 5 top 25 teams
Bama 4
Clemson 4
Oklahoma 4
Georgia 3
Penn St. 3
Wisconsin 1
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 10-31-17, 02:02 PM
zeeman zeeman is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-22-11
Location: in a galaxy far far away
Posts: 5,212
zeeman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHSFootballFan View Post
No one uses that arguement of wins based off where they were ranked. Lol Alabama currently has a top 5 victory then. Penn State is not a top 5 win. Wisconsin may not be a top 5 win either. A pretty good chance neither are top five wins.
The committee does Einstein. Any rebuttal about my final four if it plays out that way? Or are you just throwing a tantrum?
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 10-31-17, 02:09 PM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 2,172
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHSFootballFan View Post
No one uses that arguement of wins based off where they were ranked. Lol Alabama currently has a top 5 victory then. Penn State is not a top 5 win. Wisconsin may not be a top 5 win either. A pretty good chance neither are top five wins.
If things end the way I think they will this coming week OSU and ND will have the same number of ranked wins: 1. Penn State and USC. But that's for next week's discussion/committee poll.
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 10-31-17, 02:10 PM
Neopolitan Neopolitan is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-12-16
Posts: 2,372
Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHSFootballFan View Post
Lthey have two good wins, vs Auburn and vs Virginia Tech.
This isn't helpful as you still refuse to tell us what a "good" win is in your eyes and whether they are different levels of "good" wins.
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 10-31-17, 02:11 PM
CincyHSFootballFan CincyHSFootballFan is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 08-28-06
Posts: 2,218
CincyHSFootballFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeman View Post
More food for thought (except for CHSFF who obviously doesn't)

SOS in combined polls

tOSU plays 5 top 25 teams
ND plays 5 top 25 teams
Bama 4
Clemson 4
Oklahoma 4
Georgia 3
Penn St. 3
Wisconsin 1
Ok so ranking teams right now.

Ohio State has played 2 of their potential top 25 games and are 1-1.

Notre Dame has played 4 top 25 games and are 3-1.

Case closed for this week.
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 10-31-17, 02:17 PM
Neopolitan Neopolitan is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-12-16
Posts: 2,372
Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
Going to be pretty funny if NC State loses to Clemson & MSU loses to Penn State and all of a sudden Cincy's argument blows up in his face.
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 10-31-17, 02:19 PM
CincyHSFootballFan CincyHSFootballFan is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 08-28-06
Posts: 2,218
CincyHSFootballFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
This isn't helpful as you still refuse to tell us what a "good" win is in your eyes and whether they are different levels of "good" wins.
A top 25 win. Idk what Penn State qualifies for because they lost to the only really good team they have played. I will say I think USC and Penn State are about equal. Also lets not forget Notre Dame is blowing teams out. It's not like 1 point wins.
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 10-31-17, 02:24 PM
Michael Bluth Michael Bluth is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-29-11
Location: The Mailroom
Posts: 15,662
Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
I'm not sure Georgia is that much better than Oklahoma. If they played on a neutral field, the line would likely be close to even.
I'd probably take Oklahoma to beat Georgia on a neutral field
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 10-31-17, 02:25 PM
Descartes Descartes is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-06-16
Location: Trey=YRoevWadeisgood
Posts: 4,583
Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHSFootballFan View Post
A top 25 win. Idk what Penn State qualifies for because they lost to the only really good team they have played. I will say I think USC and Penn State are about equal. Also lets not forget Notre Dame is blowing teams out. It's not like 1 point wins.
USC and Penn St aren't close to equal. Penn St is a top 4 team, but the unfortunate reality is 2 teams from the B10 aren't getting in. Their only path back in is if OSU loses.
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 10-31-17, 02:25 PM
CincyHSFootballFan CincyHSFootballFan is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 08-28-06
Posts: 2,218
CincyHSFootballFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
Going to be pretty funny if NC State loses to Clemson & MSU loses to Penn State and all of a sudden Cincy's argument blows up in his face.
Sure rankings fluctuate week to week, knowledgeable people do not need rankings to see who has beaten a better schedule of teams. Still waiting on your rankings.
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 10-31-17, 02:27 PM
Descartes Descartes is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-06-16
Location: Trey=YRoevWadeisgood
Posts: 4,583
Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
I'd probably take Oklahoma to beat Georgia on a neutral field
Not a chance. UGA would run all over that D. Okie St beats them this week.
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 10-31-17, 02:35 PM
Neopolitan Neopolitan is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-12-16
Posts: 2,372
Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHSFootballFan View Post
A top 25 win.
That's subjective, how'd you come up with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHSFootballFan View Post
Idk what Penn State qualifies for because they lost to the only really good team they have played.
What "really good" teams have NC State & USC beat?
Reply With Quote
  #141  
Old 10-31-17, 02:39 PM
CincyHSFootballFan CincyHSFootballFan is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 08-28-06
Posts: 2,218
CincyHSFootballFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
That's subjective, how'd you come up with that?



What "really good" teams have NC State & USC beat?
They haven't, however USC did beat Stanford so there's that.

Look SOS rankings prove my point. By the way, ND has played a tougher schedule than OSU in ESPN's SOS rankings and end with a tougher schedule. So there are facts to back up my point.

Still waiting on your rankings.
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 10-31-17, 02:55 PM
Neopolitan Neopolitan is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-12-16
Posts: 2,372
Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHSFootballFan View Post
They haven't.
So you "don't know" how good of a win Penn State is because they haven't beat anyone "really good" but you seem confident NC State and USC qualify as good wins. Weird.

Quote:
By the way, ND has played a tougher schedule than OSU in ESPN's SOS rankings and end with a tougher schedule. So there are facts to back up my point.
And ESPN's FPI has OSU #2 and ND #4 - seems pretty silly to cite one part of ESPN's algorithm as evidence for your position, but not mention the algorithm as a whole disproves your point.
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 10-31-17, 03:09 PM
adselder09 adselder09 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-11-07
Posts: 12,678
adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Going by body of work thus far and who's beaten who (all rankings based on AP Poll):
Alabama - beat preseason #3 FSU (now unranked), best win vs. Arkansas or Mississippi?
Georgia - beat #24 Notre Dame (currently #5), beat #17 Miss St (currently #21)
Ohio State - beat #2 Penn St (currently #7), lost to #5 Oklahoma (currently #8)
Wisconsin - 0 ranked wins, best win Purdue or Northwestern
Notre Dame - beat #11 USC (currently #17), beat #14 NC St (currently #20), lost to #15 UGA (currently #2)
Clemson - beat #13 Auburn (currently #16), beat #14 Louisville (currently unranked), lost to Syrcause (unranked)
Penn State - beat #19 Michigan (currently unranked), lost to #6 Ohio State (currently #3)
Oklahoma - beat #2 Ohio State (currently #3), lost to unranked Iowa State (currently #14)
Miami - beat unranked FSU and unranked GT
TCU - beat #6 OK St (currently #11), beat #23 WVU (currently unranked), lost to #25 Iowa State (currently #14)

Best Wins:
Oklahoma - road win @ #2 time of/current #3
Georgia - road win @ #24 time of/current #5
Ohio State - home win #2 time of/current #7
TCU - road win #6 time of/current #11
ND - home win #11 time of/current #17
Clemson - home win #13 time of/current #16
ND - home win #14 time of/current #20
Georgia - home win #17 time of/current #21
*Doesn't include Iowa State who holds two current top 10 wins (both top 10 at the time also)

Best Loss:
ND - at home by 1 current #2
Penn St - on road by 1 current #3
Ohio State - at home by 15 current #8
TCU - on road by 7 current #14
Oklahoma - at home by 7 current #14

Based on the body of work test you should have:
1. Georgia - 2nd best win, undefeated
2. Alabama - by virtue of being undefeated
3. Notre Dame - best loss and two wins vs. Top 25
4. Oklahoma - best win, plus H2H over OSU
5. Ohio State - 3rd best win, 2nd best loss
6. TCU - top 11 road win
7. Clemson - top 16 home win
8. Penn State - 2nd best loss, beat Michigan
9. Wisconsin - played no one
10. Miami - played no one, including FCS

And yes, only use the top 10 ranked AP teams. Oklahoma State sits #11, Iowa State is the only team with two top 10 wins, Washington sitting there with 1-loss. VaTech only loss to Clemson, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 10-31-17, 03:24 PM
fish82 fish82 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-16-05
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 11,493
fish82 will become famous soon enoughfish82 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
Based on the body of work test you should have:
1. Georgia - 2nd best win, undefeated
2. Alabama - by virtue of being undefeated
3. Notre Dame - best loss and two wins vs. Top 25
4. Oklahoma - best win, plus H2H over OSU
5. Ohio State - 3rd best win, 2nd best loss
6. TCU - top 11 road win
7. Clemson - top 16 home win
8. Penn State - 2nd best loss, beat Michigan
9. Wisconsin - played no one
10. Miami - played no one, including FCS

And yes, only use the top 10 ranked AP teams. Oklahoma State sits #11, Iowa State is the only team with two top 10 wins, Washington sitting there with 1-loss. VaTech only loss to Clemson, etc.
I'd be perfectly fine with this as the opening ranking.

At the end of the day, if OSU runs the table, they'll be in the bracket. That much is certain.
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 10-31-17, 03:24 PM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 2,172
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHSFootballFan View Post
They haven't, however USC did beat Stanford so there's that.
It should be noted Stanford hasn't beaten anyone good and have also lost to SDSU and beat 1-7 Oregon State by 1.
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 10-31-17, 03:37 PM
Saint Columban Saint Columban is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 08-11-11
Posts: 260
Saint Columban is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
It should be noted Stanford hasn't beaten anyone good and have also lost to SDSU and beat 1-7 Oregon State by 1.
neither have penn state or army. so whats your point?

osu has only beat 2 teams with winning records. nobody has ever said they cant make it into the playoffs, but the argument all along has been their current resume doesn't touch notre dames.
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 10-31-17, 03:41 PM
WinstonSmith WinstonSmith is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-11-16
Posts: 2,154
WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
That Auburn and @ Va Tech wins are very good at this point. Their only tough one remaining is this weekend at NC State and they really are just a good team and not a great one. At South Carolina might be tough as it is a rivalry game...
I'd categorize those as "good wins," but nothing to point to as a huge-resume booster. Similar to wins over a 2nd tier Big 10 team.
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 10-31-17, 04:01 PM
Auggie's Avatar
Auggie Auggie is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-02-02
Location: The Other Side
Posts: 12,812
Auggie is on a distinguished road
These mid season public playoff ranking are such a folly, they were put in by request from ESPN to boost ratings on a slow sports night.
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 10-31-17, 04:06 PM
Crusaders Crusaders is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-06-04
Location: Not Cincinnati
Posts: 33,583
Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHSFootballFan View Post
if Penn State gets back to the top five it will be due to Ohio State and Wisconsin losing. Lets be honest, Wisconsin will plummet if they lose a game before the title game. They have beaten no one. UCF actually has a gripe with where they are ranked compared to Wisconsin. UCF blew out a top 25 team.
Wisconsin, sure. I doubt Penn State will be rabked outside of the Top 10 tonight and several teams in front of them will lose by the end of the year (Miami/ND/Clemson, Wisconsin/OSU, UGA/Bama).
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 10-31-17, 04:07 PM
Saint Columban Saint Columban is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 08-11-11
Posts: 260
Saint Columban is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish82 View Post
It was 17-13 at the start of the 4th quarter. OU outgained OSU by about 130 total yards.

Looks like a typical 2-score win to me.
a typical 2 score loss to a school that has also lost a game is better than a 1 point loss to an undefeated team?

btw, after the game espn called it a "thumping"

Mayfield admitted "we should have won by more"

even urban meyer said "it was awful"

now imagine how bad that "typical 2 score game" would have been had osu not been 2-0 on turnovers. how ugly would the score have been had that been 2-0 in favor of Oklahoma? if notre dame wins the turnover battle by 2 against Georgia they definitely win. osu still lost.

no way you can claim notre dames loss was worse. what a joke.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Elder Playoff talk ElderHSfan02 Elder Panthers 37 10-24-17 06:49 AM
Week 2 Games of Note - Predictions Cincy_Futbol Boys Soccer 19 08-26-17 04:38 PM
GWOC Predictions?? Wrastlinmachine123 Wrestling 19 08-17-17 09:59 AM
Region 3&4 early playoff predictions High School84 Football 25 08-09-17 01:41 PM
playoff scheduling question pburg Baseball 10 05-15-17 08:37 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:30 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz