Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-30-17, 11:58 AM
All Yappi

zeeman is on a distinguished road
tOSU will get in if they run the table. They still have to play at Iowa (wont be easy) Mich St (never easy) and TSUN which would love nothing better than to beat them. Then an undefeated Wisky in the championship game. Can it be done? Yes, but if they dont play well they can lose any of those games. If they win out they are definitely in with two top five wins.

Alabama/Georgia if it happens and Auburn will have something to say to both teams will be a huge game. If Georgia loses a close game to Bama and ND has the same record how do you put ND in over Georgia who beat them at ND?

ND still has several tough ones left and if they run the table I see them leapfrogging Clemson who has generally looked OK but has a terrible loss.

Miami and TCU are pretenders and if Oklahoma wins out (I dont think they will) they will have a legitimate argument against tOSU

My prediction being an tOSU homer is:

1. Bama
2. tOSU
3. Georgia
4. ND

These games would be epic! There is a ton of football to be played though so anything can happen and probably will.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-17, 12:21 PM
All American

CincyHSFootballFan is on a distinguished road
I thought OSU would be a lock if they win out but I am doubting it now. As tough as you think MSU and Michigan will be, Oklahoma, goes to top 10 OK St. this weekend and then has TCU and ends at West Virginia. They will play a top 15 game then in Big XII championship and their demolishing of OSU in Columbus plus a more difficult schedule would be hard for the committee to ignore.
Old 10-30-17, 12:23 PM
All American

There is a legit argument and personally I agree with it, that Penn State deserves to be ranked ahead of Ohio State this week.
Old 10-30-17, 12:27 PM
All American

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHSFootballFan View Post
There is a legit argument and personally I agree with it, that Penn State deserves to be ranked ahead of Ohio State this week.
Let's hear it.
Old 10-30-17, 12:39 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Let's hear it.
Penn State has already demolished Michigan, they looked the better team Saturday night, blew the game losing by one point on the road. That is their only loss. How much is home field advantage worth?

Meanwhile Ohio State fans argue they should be ranked ahead of a team with one loss that they were destroyed by at home.

I think most nuetral observers who watched Saturday night came away pretty impressed by Penn State and you can't argue if they felt PSU was the better team.

So the argument is PSU has one loss, by one point on the road. On a neutral field or at home they would be viewed as the favorite and better team. So rank them accordingly.
Old 10-30-17, 12:42 PM
All American

Just because you lose to a team, does not assume you should be ranked behind them. I would argue Penn State is the better team, they choked away a game on the road and lost by a point. I would still have them ranked ahead of OSU.
Old 10-30-17, 01:00 PM
Cooling Off

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Most neutral observers came away impressed with PSU? They were held to 283 yards of total offense compared to OSU's 529. The Buckeyes also dominated first downs. Held the Heisman frontrunner to 44 yards on 21 rushes(and one of those was for 36). All of this with 2 turnovers while PSU had 0. Not sure how anyone could look at this game objectively and say they came away impressed with Penn State or that they are clearly better than the Buckeyes. I'd actually argue that aside from the first quarter or so Ohio State looked like the better team.
Old 10-30-17, 01:00 PM
All Region

Max Grumbleman is on a distinguished road
My Top 10 based on résumé:

1. Georgia
2. Notre Dame
3. Oklahoma
4. Iowa State
5. Miami
6. Ohio State
7. TCU
8. UCF
9. Wisconsin
10. Washington State
Old 10-30-17, 01:08 PM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
Most neutral observers came away impressed with PSU? They were held to 283 yards of total offense compared to OSU's 529. The Buckeyes also dominated first downs. Held the Heisman frontrunner to 44 yards on 21 rushes(and one of those was for 36). All of this with 2 turnovers while PSU had 0. Not sure how anyone could look at this game objectively and say they came away impressed with Penn State or that they are clearly better than the Buckeyes. I'd actually argue that aside from the first quarter or so Ohio State looked like the better team.
+1

The only area that impressed me the most for Penn State was that they had 0 turn overs. I wanted to say special teams too but then again they gave up a blocked punt so while still better than tOSU it didn't impress me that much.
Old 10-30-17, 01:14 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Grumbleman View Post
My Top 10 based on résumé:

1. Georgia
2. Notre Dame
3. Oklahoma
4. Iowa State
5. Miami
6. Ohio State
7. TCU
8. UCF
9. Wisconsin
10. Washington State
What?
Old 10-30-17, 01:25 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
The block punt, while not a turnover technically was the key to Ohio States comeback, so not a turnover but just as big. Also nearly 200 return yards by Penn State and very conservative play calling by PSU.
Old 10-30-17, 01:36 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
What?
Sorry, wrong one. My mistake.

1. Georgia
2. Iowa State
3. Notre Dame
4. Oklahoma
5. Miami
6. Ohio State
7. TCU
8. UCF
9. Wisconsin
10. Clemson

Iowa State has the best two wins of any team currently. They are such good wins that they overcome their 2 losses.

UCF simply has the résumé. Memphis is a Top 20 win, and with their unbeaten record it puts them in the Top 10.

The rankings are not meant to predict, but describe. This, in my view, is a fair and accurate representation of the current landscape.
Old 10-30-17, 01:52 PM
All American

I'll give you that Iowa State's 2 losses came in the beginning of the year, which the committee does take into account. Alright, not nearly as ridiculous as I initially thought.
Old 10-30-17, 02:03 PM
All American

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Bama doesn't have any good wins yet. Will be interesting to see them play Auburn and Georgia
Old 10-30-17, 02:24 PM
All Region

LSU is better than Auburn, I think. But I expect Saban to have his guys ready and would not be surprised if it's a 48-10 type of blowout.
Old 10-30-17, 02:29 PM
All American

14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
What's the logic in Notre Dame and Clemson ahead of OSU?
Clemson has one loss, and many, many better wins.

ND has one loss ( and a really good loss) and better wins.

The Buckeyes have beaten no one. They've had two big games this season, both at home, and favored in both. Oklahoma beat Ohio State by 15 points, and it wasn't that close. I'm sorry, the big ten is terrible. How Wisconsin is in the top 5 in the rankings is laughable. This is the falacy of divisions within conferences. Wisconsin may lose 4 games if they were in the east division.

There is no doubt in my mind the Buckeyes will be in the top 4 tomorrow night when the first playoffs listings are announced. The networks and committee needs the ratings numbers.

Now I do think ND will lose again, they always do.
Old 10-30-17, 02:32 PM
All American

14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Penn State has already demolished Michigan, they looked the better team Saturday night, blew the game losing by one point on the road. That is their only loss. How much is home field advantage worth?

Meanwhile Ohio State fans argue they should be ranked ahead of a team with one loss that they were destroyed by at home.

I think most nuetral observers who watched Saturday night came away pretty impressed by Penn State and you can't argue if they felt PSU was the better team.

So the argument is PSU has one loss, by one point on the road. On a neutral field or at home they would be viewed as the favorite and better team. So rank them accordingly.
Don't be shocked if Penn State loses again this weekend at MSU. Their offense was exposed Saturday. They hit a few big plays and it just goes to show you who a play or two in a weak conference can make good teams appear great. Lots of flaws on that team.
Old 10-30-17, 02:33 PM
All Yappi

tOSU will be a lock if they win out because of the Benjamin's. Same reason Bama gets in even if they lose to Georgia IMO. No way the committee takes teams like TCU, Wisky or Miami if they have the same resume. The country wants to see Bama, tOSU, ND and a Georgia or Clemson. Those teams draw the eyes. Also the statement about PSU being ranked ahead of tOSU is laughable and reek of someone who just doesn't like them. No basis in fact and dispel the argument about head to head. tOSU dominated PSU offensively and defensively, mistakes cost tOSU dearly. Penalties, turnovers and special teams kept that game close. Once again the only team that would have an argument against tOSU is Oklahoma if both finish 12-1 but if that happens they will keep them both and take the one SEC team. Gotta have the ratings.
Old 10-30-17, 02:37 PM
All Yappi

The elite college teams are always going to get the nod in the committee's eyes. More people got a rush watching tOSU get crushed last year, the public wants to see teams they hate just as much as they want to see their teams. Like it not, you cant argue with the star factor of Bama, tOSU, ND and Georigia. It would be the highest rated playoff yet.
Old 10-30-17, 02:39 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Don't be shocked if Penn State loses again this weekend at MSU. Their offense was exposed Saturday. They hit a few big plays and it just goes to show you who a play or two in a weak conference can make good teams appear great. Lots of flaws on that team.
OSU has an elite defensive line. Shutting down Barkley is not easy. But I guess if anyone else can it would be Dantonio.
Old 10-30-17, 02:50 PM
All Yappi

Penn State will probably beat MSU but I see it playing out like their Iowa game as it will be low scoring.

Also watch out for Urban Meyer and start taking tOSU in Las Vegas. You would think that tOSU will go into this one with a hang over but traditionally he loves to run up the score and impress the human voters when it benefits his team. Again, style counts in this sport and he would love to get JT some gaudy stats too.
Old 10-30-17, 04:04 PM
All American

WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
Quote:
What better wins does Clemson have? Their schedule has been garbage to this point and they lost to Syracuse.
Old 10-30-17, 04:38 PM
All American

KingKong24 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Ohio State was clearly the better team. Penn State couldn’t stop them all day. Ohio State turnovers, penalties, and poor kickoff coverage made the score what it was. As far as the Oklahoma game the offense was terrible and has obviously improved dramatically since that game. I would pick Ohio State to beat Oklahoma by 14 if they played today. Jesse Palmer said the same thing Saturday and they pay to hear his opinion.
Old 10-30-17, 04:51 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
What better wins does Clemson have? Their schedule has been garbage to this point and they lost to Syracuse.
That Auburn and @ Va Tech wins are very good at this point. Their only tough one remaining is this weekend at NC State and they really are just a good team and not a great one. At South Carolina might be tough as it is a rivalry game...
Old 10-30-17, 06:00 PM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enoughfish82 will become famous soon enough
Quote:

Dude.
Old 10-30-17, 06:12 PM
All American

Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
Quote:

ND has one loss ( and a really good loss) and better wins.
What wins of Clemson and ND's were better than the PSU win?

Also, isn't Clemson's loss way worse than OSU's? And ND's is on par with OSU's?(based on your own rankings where OU is in the top 5.)
Old 10-31-17, 06:33 AM
All Ohio

boiler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Grumbleman View Post
Sorry, wrong one. My mistake.

1. Georgia
2. Iowa State
3. Notre Dame
4. Oklahoma
5. Miami
6. Ohio State
7. TCU
8. UCF
9. Wisconsin
10. Clemson

Iowa State has the best two wins of any team currently. They are such good wins that they overcome their 2 losses.

UCF simply has the résumé. Memphis is a Top 20 win, and with their unbeaten record it puts them in the Top 10.

The rankings are not meant to predict, but describe. This, in my view, is a fair and accurate representation of the current landscape.
Iowa beat Iowa St in week 2.
Old 10-31-17, 06:37 AM
All Ohio

boiler is on a distinguished road
Alabama's schedule so far has been very weak. Yes they played FSU when they were ranked #3 but now they are not in the top 25. So far, Alabama has not played anyone currently in the top 25.
Old 10-31-17, 07:08 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
What wins of Clemson and ND's were better than the PSU win?

Also, isn't Clemson's loss way worse than OSU's? And ND's is on par with OSU's?(based on your own rankings where OU is in the top 5.)
Notre Dame has three top 25 wins, to Ohio States 1. ND lost by 1 point to possibly the #1 team when the rankings come out. A pretty big difference over OSU's resume.

I would not say Clemsons loss is "way" worse, it was on the road, three point loss on a short week as well.

Clemson does not have the wins yet, however starting this week they get into the heart of their schedule.

Oklahoma does have better wins already, so I will go with many of the prognosticators and predict ND 3, Oklahoma 4. Clemson or OSU for 5th tonight.
Old 10-31-17, 07:26 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler View Post
Alabama's schedule so far has been very weak. Yes they played FSU when they were ranked #3 but now they are not in the top 25. So far, Alabama has not played anyone currently in the top 25.
They are undefeated and been dominant, I think Georgia should be one, however until they lose, no one else will be ranked ahead of Bama. Bama closes out their regular season with 3 top 25 games. Then they will get Georgia. Their resume will be their at the end of the day.