Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-03-17, 07:57 AM
All World

sportsprophet is on a distinguished road
Lavar Ball homeschooling kid

Is he ruining his kid Lamelos future. He just a soph and his dad is pulling him out of HS his last 2yrs and just "training".
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...o-distractions
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-17, 10:02 AM
All Yappi

thePITman is on a distinguished road
Deprive your kid of a childhood so that you can say you had another child play college basketball.
Old 10-03-17, 11:08 AM
Cooling Off

canofchew is on a distinguished road
Every parent should be like Lavar, Your kids would be a lot more successful. Lavar is my role model
Old 10-03-17, 11:19 AM
Moderated User

OperationFootball is an unknown quantity at this point
I think Lavar Ball is a big dummy. Its not like that LeYellow kid was getting an education at Chino Hills anyway. Only problem I really have with this is now he cant go play high school football. What's the point of high school if youre not playin ball with your brothers?
Old 10-03-17, 11:19 AM
Freshman

AlderFbdad60 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by canofchew View Post
Every parent should be like Lavar, Your kids would be a lot more successful. Lavar is my role model
you've got to be kidding me? I wouldnt trade anything for my high school experience. Especially at Alder
Old 10-03-17, 12:50 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
I'm betting that Chino Hills is doing their happy dance right now getting rid of that guy. Probably would want the kid back but not if it means his Dad is around.
Old 10-03-17, 07:14 PM
All American

Bball216 is on a distinguished road
Lavar is an A HOLE
Old 10-03-17, 11:11 PM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
I'd bet the new coach at Chino Hills has to be ecstatic. I believe this is the 3rd or 4th straight year they've had a new coach, and he just managed to resolve the problem behind the revolving door.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to LaMelo from here, as I tend to believe he's never going to be eligible to play at UCLA with his dad giving him his own "signature shoe". This looks like the makings of a basketball Todd Marinovich. My guess is in a couple years he goes to China and never makes it back to the NBA.
Old 10-04-17, 06:02 AM
All District

hvs1717 is on a distinguished road
I can't stand Ball. I think he is a loud mouth and says and does some really dumb stuff that make things more difficult for his sons. But his first two kids seem to have turned out ok. Lonzo was a top draft pick and seems to be a pretty grounded kid. He has avoided all of the bs that comes along with his dad in the press. LiAngelo isn't nearly the player that his brothers are but he is on full scholarship to UCLA and you never hear anything negative in the press about him either. Ball may have the persona of an idiot in public but based on how his kids are turning out he may be doing something right.
Old 10-04-17, 08:00 AM
All Region

bass10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ball is an out of control whack job. His kids turned out to the tune they can play basketball at a very high level, as far as everything else in life who knows how they'll end up? One out of three so far is making millions so that makes up for a lot if they lack life skills. If I was the coach of his sons I'd do back flips up and down Cali when he pulls them.
Old 10-04-17, 01:16 PM
All Ohio

member1 is on a distinguished road
Why should anybody really care what choice he makes for his kids. Their his kids. Seems like at least two of them have turned out OK to this point.

Hey Ball, keep doing what you want with your kids and cashing the checks along the way!
Old 10-04-17, 01:41 PM
All American

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
LaGoat knows what he's doing.
Old 10-05-17, 01:02 PM
All Region

bass10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by member1 View Post
Why should anybody really care what choice he makes for his kids. Their his kids. Seems like at least two of them have turned out OK to this point.

Hey Ball, keep doing what you want with your kids and cashing the checks along the way!
If nobodys to care then stay out of the limelight. If everything you do you do for pub then the pub has the right to chime in. If you publicly bash good people when you're the real idiot then once again people care. He could take his kids to Africa for schooling for all I care but don't bash good people for your idiotic reasoning.
Old 10-05-17, 02:40 PM
Freshman

Snowman8 is on a distinguished road
If this is what his son wants, then I can respect the decision, even though like bass10 said you shouldn't bash others to make your point. Then again, after bursting into a locker room to undermine a coach in front of his entire team, pulling his son from school because he can't take 50 shots per game and not cross half court doesn't seem too far-fetched.

Lavar is a guy who had his team walk off and forfeit an AAU game because he didn't agree with a call (that he was wrong about) when his team was winning in the second half. And yet he had a line of people in BBB gear signing up for autographs at the Laker's pre-season game. At least basketball has a new villain.
Old 10-05-17, 10:54 PM
All Ohio

Andy27 is on a distinguished road
Levar is a raging idiot. Any college or pro coach that lets him near their team should be fired.
Old 10-06-17, 11:01 AM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
I have no issue with what decision he, as a parent, makes on behalf of his children. He may be a blowhard, but his kids seem pretty grounded. Besides, there are plenty of examples of parents who have home schooled their kids on to successful athletic careers. The Williams sisters, Bryce Harper and Time Tebow, to name a few. I suspect that a good many Olympic caliber gymnasts, ice skaters and top level tennis players have been home schooled or tutored as well. It certainly is no guarantee of success, and I suspect there are far more examples of kids who did NOT become the next big thing.

My problem is not that he did it, but how he chose to do it. There was no need to throw the school and the coach under the bus on the way out the door. Just because you have the "bully pulpit" doesn't mean you have to act like a bully with it!

On a related note, my gut feeling is that LaMello will never play a minute of college ball for UCLA or any other university. Lavar is pushing his 3 Baller Brand and, understandably, wants he and his kids to cash in. I suspect this move to pull LaMello out of school will open the door for him to personally and directly benefit from the business. Lavar has already hinted that he has issues with NCAA rules regarding kids making money while in school, and I suspect this is a step towards the family business making his son ineligible for amateur sports. If so, then I can't blame Lavar. You have to strike while the iron is hot. He has the public's attention right now; and you cannot predict that this will be the case in 2-3 years.
Old 10-06-17, 04:34 PM
All World

Chop Stix is an unknown quantity at this point
Lavar Ball had 4 new transfers ready to go for this year's team, which would've made them the most dominant team in the history of HS basketball surpassing Oak Hill's '06 team.

They likely would've had to play their home games a half hour away at Citizens Business Bank Arena with an 11,000 seat capacity.
Old 10-06-17, 05:46 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop Stix View Post
Lavar Ball had 4 new transfers ready to go for this year's team, which would've made them the most dominant team in the history of HS basketball surpassing Oak Hill's '06 team.

They likely would've had to play their home games a half hour away at Citizens Business Bank Arena with an 11,000 seat capacity.
And ?

Just sharing fun facts, or is there some larger significance there for you ?
Old 10-06-17, 10:42 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Only weirdos homeschool their kids.
Old 10-08-17, 07:46 AM
All American

Bball216 is on a distinguished road
I wonder if Sonny Johnson has reached out to him.
Old 10-09-17, 10:20 AM
Cooling Off

canofchew is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Only weirdos homeschool their kids.
*only smart people homeschool their kids
Old 10-09-17, 05:32 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by canofchew View Post
*only smart people homeschool their kids
(He's just being a d-bag and trying to insult me. One of his little b1tches is likely to join in )

Well, that kind of depends upon the motivating factors.

If Lavar wants the best for his child educationally, and takes him to the libraries, museums, etc almost as often as the gym, it might be a good thing. I'm guessing that Ball's goals would not be mine, though. I hope I'm wrong, for his kid's sake.
Old 10-10-17, 06:31 AM
All District

hvs1717 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
(He's just being a d-bag and trying to insult me. One of his little b1tches is likely to join in )

Well, that kind of depends upon the motivating factors.

If Lavar wants the best for his child educationally, and takes him to the libraries, museums, etc almost as often as the gym, it might be a good thing. I'm guessing that Ball's goals would not be mine, though. I hope I'm wrong, for his kid's sake.
So far LaVar has come out and said, "the only two subjects he will be taking are math and english." His reasoning was so that LaMelo can count all of his money and he won't sound like a moron while giving interviews. I hope he just being an and will give LaMelo a more rounded education but we will see.
Old 10-10-17, 07:23 AM
All American

Taco MacArthur can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvs1717 View Post
So far LaVar has come out and said, "the only two subjects he will be taking are math and english." His reasoning was so that LaMelo can count all of his money and he won't sound like a moron while giving interviews. I hope he just being an and will give LaMelo a more rounded education but we will see.
Ironic given how moronic Lavar sounds every time he opens his mouth.
Old 10-24-17, 02:52 PM
Varsity

x8xohiolegendx7x is on a distinguished road
Lavar is a d-bag. But its their life so whatever
Old 10-24-17, 02:57 PM
All Region

SLAGuy is on a distinguished road
Definitely. He has the right to make this choice. He's been working this angle before any of his kids were born. Sure was lucky that he had three boys instead of three girls. All the time and effort would have been wasted.