Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-08-17, 12:44 PM
All Ohio

tonka is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4GX View Post
I was at that game— at Hamilton, if I recall— it took a world-class game by Richard Hall, one of the two or three (along with Ahmed Plummer and Freddy Jacobs) best players in the history of Wyoming HS to win it— he had over 200 yards rushing (might have been close to 300 yards) in that game— a lot of them, all on his own— including a game-clinching touchdown run that probably covered over 100 yards total, on which (at least) 10 VV players had a chance to tackle him— but couldn’t... Wyo better hope they have somebody that good playing for them this year, if they hope to win a re-match— ands I don’t see him on the roster...

CHL is gonna get another playoff win this week (because they play themselves)— but I expect it will be 1-2 this week, now that the competition level has stepped up, and the pretenders are out of the mix... assuming Wyo manages to repeat their win over IH, then things will get REAL— and we will see...

I root for Wyo— but I’m realistic about what they have done— and will do, when faced with GOOD teams from up north, that actually play SOMEBODY during the season— Wyo has shown that they cannnot measure up, when faced with good teams that regularly play good competition— Alter, VV, DeSales, Massie, Coldwater. When the going gets tough, the Cowboys and Indians (Hill) come up short— because they don’t play anybody during the season, so they tire out in a game that requires more than two quarters of high level of effort.
In all fairness, both Wyoming and Indian Hill tried to schedule a little bit tougher non-conference this year. Wyoming beat CHCA (always makes it to week 12 or 13 in the playoffs) and Taft (playoff team). Indian Hill beat New Richmond (beat Franklin in Region 12) and lost to CHCA. I agree they should try to schedule a bigger team from Dayton or closer to Columbus but it is not always easy to do.

Also, I am not sure VV gets by Massie this week. I see that one as a toss up.
Old 11-08-17, 12:59 PM
All Region

4GX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonka View Post
In all fairness, both Wyoming and Indian Hill tried to schedule a little bit tougher non-conference this year. Wyoming beat CHCA (always makes it to week 12 or 13 in the playoffs) and Taft (playoff team). Indian Hill beat New Richmond (beat Franklin in Region 12) and lost to CHCA. I agree they should try to schedule a bigger team from Dayton or closer to Columbus but it is not always easy to do.

Also, I am not sure VV gets by Massie this week. I see that one as a toss up.
You make some good points--those schedule changes are a step in the right direction— but CHCA is what, Div. V?— and playing the old PHSL (now CPS) teams isn’t going to cut it either— they need to challenge Massie during the season, or Alter, or Alder, or VV, or a (GOOD) MAC team, or, or, or...

You could be right that CM beats VV— but honestly, do you really think it matters— won’t you take WHOMEVER wins that game to beat WHOMEVER wins the Wyo/IH game?
Old 11-08-17, 01:56 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
You make some good points--those schedule changes are a step in the right direction— but CHCA is what, Div. V?— and playing the old PHSL (now CPS) teams isn’t going to cut it either— they need to challenge Massie during the season, or Alter, or Alder, or VV, or a (GOOD) MAC team, or, or, or...

You could be right that CM beats VV— but honestly, do you really think it matters— won’t you take WHOMEVER wins that game to beat WHOMEVER wins the Wyo/IH game?
Yes. CHCA is D5. The problem is small school football in Cincinnati isn't very good so you have to do what you can to schedule the decent teams. Almost all of the really elite players in smaller divisions go to the private Catholic schools and then those schools dominate D1. Even kids that can't play at that level but think they can go there.

I will probably take the winner of CM or VV over Wyoming or IH but I do think they are both better than they have historically been. They finally have some good front 7 players (Oakes and Thornton at IH and Black, Smith and O'Brien at Wyoming). I am not sure that it will be a convincing victory and there is a chance one of the CHL teams could pull it out.
Old 11-08-17, 05:18 PM
All Region

Quote:
Yes. CHCA is D5. The problem is small school football in Cincinnati isn't very good so you have to do what you can to schedule the decent teams. Almost all of the really elite players in smaller divisions go to the private Catholic schools and then those schools dominate D1. Even kids that can't play at that level but think they can go there.

I will probably take the winner of CM or VV over Wyoming or IH but I do think they are both better than they have historically been. They finally have some good front 7 players (Oakes and Thornton at IH and Black, Smith and O'Brien at Wyoming). I am not sure that it will be a convincing victory and there is a chance one of the CHL teams could pull it out.
Yes— as you say, Cincy small schools aren’t very good— so go outside Cincy and start playing the ones that ARE!— if you want to be taken seriously in football.
Old 11-08-17, 05:38 PM
All District

Riverman is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=4GX;6905303]You make some good points--those schedule changes are a step in the right direction— but CHCA is what, Div. V?— and playing the old PHSL (now CPS) teams isn’t going to cut it either— they need to challenge Massie during the season, or Alter, or Alder, or VV, or a (GOOD) MAC team, or, or, or...

You could be right that CM beats VV— but honestly, do you really think it matters— won’t you take WHOMEVER wins that game to beat WHOMEVER wins the Wyo/IH game?[/QU

OSHSAA WEBSITE open dates week 3 Indian Hill, Valley View, and i believe that Massie is looking. They are the game that fans what to see!
Old 11-09-17, 10:10 AM
All Ohio

I think you are likely to see Wyoming play 1 or 2 good non-conference games and a cupcake. They have some talented sophomores and juniors so I wouldn't be surprised if they schedule up next year. I know back in 2000 and 2001 Wyoming scheduled Massie both times and won. CM has gotten a lot better since then but I don't think the Cowboys are afraid of them.
Old 11-09-17, 11:12 AM
All American

yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
The problem is having all the out of conference games in the first three weeks. No matter who they play they will have the next seven weeks against the CHL teams. The teams in better conferences will still have an advantage playing tough games all through the season.
Old 11-09-17, 11:26 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by yj_runfan View Post
The problem is having all the out of conference games in the first three weeks. No matter who they play they will have the next seven weeks against the CHL teams. The teams in better conferences will still have an advantage playing tough games all through the season.
Exactly. All of the small schools in Cincinnati struggle with that. The CHL got it right in putting IH and Wyoming in week 10 but it's even hard to do that. IH played Deer Park the week before. CHCA plays MVCA in week 10 then goes right into the playoffs. That is not ideal at all. Even a school like Goshen in D3 (who I dont really think is that good but they did beat Massie) has to play D5 Blanchester and D6 Williamsburg.

I am not sure there is a good solution because obviously all of these teams need a conference to play in but it really holds back the small school teams from Cincinnati to advance in the state playoffs.
Old 11-09-17, 11:29 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by yj_runfan View Post
You may be right— easy wins week after week do breed complacency— but at least if they HAVE faced at least one really good opponent at some point they are less likely to have that deer-in-the-headlights look when they see a GOOD team for the first time in the playoffs— Colerain deals with this— and I think it helps them tremendously to have had those two tough games against X and LaSalle (in the first two weeks of the season) before winning 8 blowouts in a row against the GMC— they will not be at all taken by surprise or unprepared, when they (likely) face X again next week.

I do think it is a good move (by both Wyo and IH) to put their one tough game of the CHL shedule at the end of the year— so that the challenge of it is fresh for them, as they enter the playoffs...
Old 11-09-17, 11:32 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
You may be right— easy wins week after week do breed complacency— but at least if they HAVE faced at least one really good opponent at some point they are less likely to have that deer-in-the-headlights look when they see a GOOD team for the first time in the playoffs— Colerain deals with this— and I think it helps them tremendously to have had those two tough games against X and LaSalle (in the first two weeks of the season) before winning 8 blowouts in a row against the GMC— they will not be at all taken by surprise or unprepared, when they (likely) face X again next week.

I do think it is a good move (by both Wyo and IH) to put their one tough game of the CHL shedule at the end of the year— so that the challenge of it is fresh for them, as they enter the playoffs...
I agree but how many state titles has Colerain won other than the 2005 team that was loaded with talent?

I could argue they have been knocked out of the playoffs by less talented teams. Maybe that falls on scheduling. Maybe that falls on Bolden. Maybe that falls on players not playing well in cold weather. I don't know. But I would have fully expected Colerain to have advanced out of the region more than they have based on the talent alone.
Old 11-09-17, 12:19 PM
All Region

Quote:
I agree but how many state titles has Colerain won other than the 2005 team that was loaded with talent?

I could argue they have been knocked out of the playoffs by less talented teams. Maybe that falls on scheduling. Maybe that falls on Bolden. Maybe that falls on players not playing well in cold weather. I don't know. But I would have fully expected Colerain to have advanced out of the region more than they have based on the talent alone.
Colerain had another year where they almost certainly would have won it (in the mid-90’s, I believe), but for a late identification of an ineligible (and marginal) player, around the time between the state semi-finals and finals— they were heavily favored to win that year. More importantly, Colerain NEVER looks overmatched in those final 16, final 8, final 4 games— they may lose, but they don’t get blown out— or tire late, and get run down— if anything, I have seen Colerain be behind, and come on strong late in a lot of those games— so I would argue that they are more than prepared— and that is what we are really talking about— being ready enough to meet the challenge— they may not always surmount the challenge— but they are up to it...

Think about this— look at how we are (both) thinking about the likely next round matchup for the CHL team(s) and contrast that with how I am thinking about next week’s likely Colerain game— we both fully expect WHOMEVER wins this week’s CHL tilt to lose (I think by more than 2 TDs) to WHOMEVER wins the VV/CM game— whereas I (even as an X supporter) have no certainty whatsoever about what will happen in the (likely) X-Colerain matchup that is coming next week— I think X can win, and I hope they do— but I sure as heck am not highly confident in that outcome— Colerain is too damn talented — and TOUGH— to think (going into it) that X is just going to run over Colerain (even if the weather IS conducive to the passing game this time)...

I would like to think that Wyo could pose that level of threat to either VV or CM— but, at this point, I just don’t believe it— I’ve seen Wyo when they go upstate to face those GOOD teams (Coldwater-1998, DeSales-2010, VV- multiple times, etc.)— and they are just overmatched— on the lines, and, especially, in endurance for four quarters— they wear down/out— and then they get blown out— their skill players can play with (just about) anybody— but they don’t have the physicality to match up with the really good teams for a whole game... playing some of those kind of tough teams during the season might (eventually) cause Wyo’s squad to recognize the higher bar that they have to step up to, in their off-season and in-season preparation— and get them ready to do so, the next time.
Old 11-09-17, 02:49 PM
All American

yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Colerain had another year where they almost certainly would have won it (in the mid-90’s, I believe), but for a late identification of an ineligible (and marginal) player, around the time between the state semi-finals and finals— they were heavily favored to win that year. More importantly, Colerain NEVER looks overmatched in those final 16, final 8, final 4 games— they may lose, but they don’t get blown out— or tire late, and get run down— if anything, I have seen Colerain be behind, and come on strong late in a lot of those games— so I would argue that they are more than prepared— and that is what we are really talking about— being ready enough to meet the challenge— they may not always surmount the challenge— but they are up to it...

Think about this— look at how we are (both) thinking about the likely next round matchup for the CHL team(s) and contrast that with how I am thinking about next week’s likely Colerain game— we both fully expect WHOMEVER wins this week’s CHL tilt to lose (I think by more than 2 TDs) to WHOMEVER wins the VV/CM game— whereas I (even as an X supporter) have no certainty whatsoever about what will happen in the (likely) X-Colerain matchup that is coming next week— I think X can win, and I hope they do— but I sure as heck am not highly confident in that outcome— Colerain is too damn talented — and TOUGH— to think (going into it) that X is just going to run over Colerain (even if the weather IS conducive to the passing game this time)...

I would like to think that Wyo could pose that level of threat to either VV or CM— but, at this point, I just don’t believe it— I’ve seen Wyo when they go upstate to face those GOOD teams (Coldwater-1998, DeSales-2010, VV- multiple times, etc.)— and they are just overmatched— on the lines, and, especially, in endurance for four quarters— they wear down/out— and then they get blown out— their skill players can play with (just about) anybody— but they don’t have the physicality to match up with the really good teams for a whole game... playing some of those kind of tough teams during the season might (eventually) cause Wyo’s squad to recognize the higher bar that they have to step up to, in their off-season and in-season preparation— and get them ready to do so, the next time.
Wyoming and IH have both had good coaches over the years. Surprising they never figured this out.
Old 11-09-17, 07:15 PM
Varsity

WJ-OSU-STEELERS is on a distinguished road
I was surprised that Wyoming only beat London 10-7 in last weeks 1st round playoff game. London had lost 2 of its last 3 games coming into the playoffs. London is a fairly young team that is on the rise with a young head coach who has turned things around in just a few years. Maybe Wyoming was overlooking the Redraiders. Wyoming-Indian Hill game should be a close one. It's always tough to beat the same team twice in a season, just ask Kettering Alter.
Old 11-09-17, 08:25 PM
All District

Sevens is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnTouchableVoL33 View Post
Wyoming 28-18*

*ended Valley View's 39-game winning streak dating to 1995.

VV 41-23

VV 31-21

VV 34-26

Wyoming 29-12

in my opinion Wyoming has held their own and been in all the games minus 2000
Wyoming also lost to Valley View in 1994 and 1996.
Old 11-09-17, 08:47 PM
All American

UnTouchableVoL33 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UnTouchableVoL33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevens View Post
Wyoming also lost to Valley View in 1994 and 1996.
49-33 Wyoming was up 7 at half but VV fought back

34-14
Old 11-09-17, 09:40 PM
All Region

Quote:
49-33 Wyoming was up 7 at half but VV fought back

34-14
So VV is (at least) 5-2 vs. Wyo in playoffs (I KNEW there were more meetings than just that 1998 one in the ‘90’s)— with one win (driven by a super-human effort by maybe the best RB Wyo has ever had) by Wyo during VV’s dominant period— and another Wyo win more recently vs. a lesser VV team...

This year’s VV team is being talked about by VV fans as being a return to their vintage teams of yore— and they are looking for a win over CM (who has had their number, more recently) as a validation of that belief.
Old 11-09-17, 10:01 PM
All American

Quote:
So VV is (at least) 5-2 vs. Wyo in playoffs (I KNEW there were more meetings than just that 1998 one in the ‘90’s)— with one win (driven by a super-human effort by maybe the best RB Wyo has ever had) by Wyo during VV’s dominant period— and another Wyo win more recently vs. a lesser VV team...

This year’s VV team is being talked about by VV fans as being a return to their vintage teams of yore— and they are looking for a win over CM (who has had their number, more recently) as a validation of that belief.
whats a lesser team mean?
Old 11-09-17, 10:14 PM
All District

MassieFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Let's play the games. At this point all these teams are looking for validation for their records. May the best represent Region 16.
Old 11-09-17, 11:35 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassieFan View Post
Let's play the games. At this point all these teams are looking for validation for their records. May the best represent Region 16.
Old 11-10-17, 12:55 AM
All Region

Quote:
whats a lesser team mean?
The VV teams of the '90's were regularly winning state titles-- that VV team that Wyo beat last year was never considered a title contender... as Wyo then underlined-- by not advancing any further itself...

Wyo had the horses (and the toughness/endurance) to compete with the state's best (and win titles) back in the '70's-- and the league they played in then (the old HCSL) was better, too-- now, I'm not convinced...

VV did too, in the '90's and early 2000's-- lately, not so much-- which is why this team is an important demarcation point for them-- go to the title game, and VV will believe they are back (from 15-20 years ago)-- let Wyo do that, and they TOO will be back-- only it's been 40 years for Wyo...
Old 11-12-17, 12:00 PM
All American

yappimember67 is on a distinguished road
Wyoming gets the 25-0 win over Indian Hill.

Wyoming ran the ball 54 times, throwing 9. Pierson Rogers ran the ball 40 times for 300 yards.

Wyoming faces Clinton-Massie next week, who just beat undefeated Valley View.
Old 11-13-17, 03:34 PM
All District

MooseJaw is on a distinguished road
According to Adam Baum of the Enquirer, Madeira head coach Mike Shafer has resigned.
Old 11-14-17, 10:37 AM
All District

natihsfan is on a distinguished road
Roddy to Madeira, wouldn't have to change his wardrobe
Old 11-14-17, 03:51 PM
All District

BaBa au Rum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by natihsfan View Post
Roddy to Madeira, wouldn't have to change his wardrobe
That's beneath him. Very arrogant man! Not to mention he has only coached at catholic schools and I believe his cert is in some type of theology. I don't see him taking a public school position.
Old 11-18-17, 10:53 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by yappimember67 View Post
Wyoming gets the 25-0 win over Indian Hill.

Wyoming ran the ball 54 times, throwing 9. Pierson Rogers ran the ball 40 times for 300 yards.

Wyoming faces Clinton-Massie next week, who just beat undefeated Valley View.
Same old denouement...