Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-27-17, 06:43 AM
All Region

coltfan76 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by usfldan View Post
Wyoming has a decent-sized Jewish population, and Friday night is the beginning of Yom Kippur. They typically play on Thursday when Rosh Hashanah or Yom Kippur fall on a Friday evening.
I know the Mariemont IH game is Thursday this week.

Winners
IH
Wyoming
Taylor
Madeira
Old 09-27-17, 10:04 AM
Freshman

JustAFan1971 is on a distinguished road
Who is on the coaching hot seat in the CHL? We're through 5 games. Will Hancock ever leave Wyoming? Will Cummins return to big league football? Will Readings Coach finally land a big school job?
Old 09-29-17, 05:08 AM
All Ohio

93 red ls is on a distinguished road
Props to the warriors for giving IH all they could handle.....
Old 09-29-17, 06:34 AM
All American

yappimember67 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93 red ls View Post
Props to the warriors for giving IH all they could handle.....
It was a real good game and Mariemont had their chance to win.

Down 3-0 most of the game, but they were driving late in 4th and fumbled at about the 20 yard line. IH ran some clock and then ended up scoring a TD on some busted coverage. Mariemont scored to make it 10-7 and couldn't recover an onside kick.

Definitely a defensive game as neither offense never really got into a good rhythm. Mariemont didn't help themselves as they turned it over 3 times.

Last edited by yappimember67; 09-29-17 at 10:23 AM.
Old 09-29-17, 07:08 AM
All Ohio

93 red ls is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by yappimember67 View Post
It would a real good game and Mariemont had their chance to win.

Down 3-0 most of the game, but they were driving late in 4th and fumbled at about the 20 yard line. IH ran some clock and then ended up scoring a TD on some busted coverage. Mariemont scored to make it 10-7 and couldn't recover an onside kick.

Definitely a defensive game as neither offense never really got into a good rhythm. Mariemont didn't help themselves as they turned it over 3 times.
that's good to see the "middle of the pack" CHL teams catching up with IH. Madeira had mariemont by 14 in the 3rd qtr last week and let it slip away.
I know the IH madeira game wasn't as close BUT they are making strides.
Old 09-29-17, 10:27 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93 red ls View Post
that's good to see the "middle of the pack" CHL teams catching up with IH. Madeira had mariemont by 14 in the 3rd qtr last week and let it slip away.
I know the IH madeira game wasn't as close BUT they are making strides.
Even that Madeira-IH was 7-3 at half and IH broke it open in the 2nd half.

Mariemont hasn't seemed to be too far behind IH in recent years. They lost by 28 last year, but if I recall correctly they got a bit unlucky in that game by dropping some interceptions and fumbling close to the end zone.

2016 - 42-14 IH
2015 - 21-13 IH
2014 - 28-17 MM
2013 - 7-0 IH
Old 09-29-17, 11:40 AM
All Region

Mariemont played a great game. If they hold on to the ball, they win.
Although I do think if Fiore had stayed healthy, it's a different game.
Old 09-29-17, 08:42 PM
All American

Finneytown loses to Taylor in OT.

Reading beats Madeira 26-14
Old 09-29-17, 08:46 PM
All American

Jerry Maguire is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Finneytown loses to Taylor in OT.

Reading beats Madeira 26-14
Female kicker Delaney Day kicked a game-winning 30yd FG!
Old 09-29-17, 09:54 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Maguire View Post
Female kicker Delaney Day kicked a game-winning 30yd FG!
Wow that's cool.

If I heard correctly, Finneytown fumbled the ball in OT on the 1 yard line and the ball went into the end zone for a touchback. I wasn't at the game, so someone who was would have to confirm that. Not a great way to continue that losing streak.
Old 09-29-17, 10:09 PM
All Region

Yeoman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Wow that's cool.

If I heard correctly, Finneytown fumbled the ball in OT on the 1 yard line and the ball went into the end zone for a touchback. I wasn't at the game, so someone who was would have to confirm that. Not a great way to continue that losing streak.
I was there--the ball went out of bounds after crossing the goal line. I don't know if it was harder than the 2011 Wyoming loss but it was pretty bad. Kids got a standing ovation from the (unusually large because of homecoming) crowd afterwards, at least.

Watching the sideline I think Finneytown's coach might have been ready to let their kicker (Perry) try to win it from 60 in regulation. He might possibly have it in him--he'd just hit his last kickoff between the uprights (but not above the crossbar, obviously--it hit right about at the endline).

Then they lost five yards on third down and the kicker waved him off. 65 would be a no.

Last edited by Yeoman; 09-29-17 at 10:22 PM.
Old 09-29-17, 10:19 PM
All Ohio

tonka is on a distinguished road
Tough loss for Finneytown. Not sure I have ever seen a HS kicker make a 60 yard FG. Most professionals can't make that.
Old 09-29-17, 10:44 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonka View Post
Tough loss for Finneytown. Not sure I have ever seen a HS kicker make a 60 yard FG. Most professionals can't make that.
I can't believe we're even talking about it, and I don't know if he could really hit one under pressure (and the most painful result is probably the most likely--the reason the game was 9-9 in the first place was that Finneytown botched the snap on their extra point).

But he's got a spectacular leg. He hit one from 42 tonight that cleared with ease and he didn't seem to be extending himself at all, and every kickoff was a touchback. And when you've lost 28 straight, why not? It's no worse than a punt and if it goes through we'll never forget it.

This is just his part-time gig of course--he's got 12 goals for the soccer team.
Old 09-29-17, 11:09 PM
All American

Chris Landgrebe was another good kicker from last year. I do know he hit a 50+ FG for Madeira last year. I believe he plays at California now. A 60 yard FG would be very impressive for a high school kicker.
Old 09-29-17, 11:11 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeoman View Post
I was there--the ball went out of bounds after crossing the goal line. I don't know if it was harder than the 2011 Wyoming loss but it was pretty bad. Kids got a standing ovation from the (unusually large because of homecoming) crowd afterwards, at least.

Watching the sideline I think Finneytown's coach might have been ready to let their kicker (Perry) try to win it from 60 in regulation. He might possibly have it in him--he'd just hit his last kickoff between the uprights (but not above the crossbar, obviously--it hit right about at the endline).

Then they lost five yards on third down and the kicker waved him off. 65 would be a no.
What was that one?
Old 09-30-17, 12:32 AM
All Region

Quote:
What was that one?
Finneytown drove deep into Wyoming territory--I think they were inside the 5 with about a minute left--down 21-16 and a touchdown would end a rivalry losing streak that's almost as old as I am. Kevin Johnson was having a huge game and they were cutting them up pretty good on the drive and it felt inevitable, except...

Their center had just gotten hurt and left the game; the backup center (who might have slid over from guard and they put someone in for him, I can't remember some of the details) snapped the ball over the QBs head and Wyoming eventually scooped it (there was some bobbling along the way) and ran it back for a touchdown.

I was sitting in the top row near the press box; when the game ended one of the Wyoming assistants came running out of the box yelling "46! 46! 46!" Or whatever the streak was up to at that point. So I guess it's still a rivalry even if we haven't beaten them in half a century.

There's a Waycross highlight package up on youtube that I can't seem to get to load right now or I'd check the details I can't remember. Maybe you'll have better luck.

Old 09-30-17, 12:38 AM
All Region

Quote:
Chris Landgrebe was another good kicker from last year. I do know he hit a 50+ FG for Madeira last year. I believe he plays at California now. A 60 yard FG would be very impressive for a high school kicker.
I remember reading a Landgrebe quote in the Enquirer that he had hit from 65 in practice and he "was comfortable with anything inside 60."

Perry's good, but he's not that good.

I do think it's pretty cool that even at small schools we're watching kickers knocking them through from 40-49 and nobody's even excited.
Old 09-30-17, 06:13 AM
All World

Chop Stix is an unknown quantity at this point
Very disappointing for Finneytown. Sounds like if they clean up some mistakes they'll have a fighting chance against DP however. Congrats to Taylor and their kicker on a resilient comeback win!

On the topic of kickers, IH had a D1 kicker who missed a chip shot to tie the game at the end of regulation against Finneytown in '04 which led to one of the biggest upsets in CHL history. I believe that was the Braves only regular season loss that year.

I remember around that time (or maybe a few years later) Wyoming had a standout kicker too who was hitting 60 yard FGs in warm ups and had some big in-game kicks too.
Old 09-30-17, 08:01 AM
All American

yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
That may be the ugliest win in Taylor history. I think they had the ball inside Finneytowns 10 three times in the first half without scoring.
Old 09-30-17, 09:35 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by yj_runfan View Post
That may be the ugliest win in Taylor history. I think they had the ball inside Finneytowns 10 three times in the first half without scoring.
Their first three drives were

1. lost on downs at the Finneytown 2
2. lost fumble at the Finneytown 4
3. lost on downs at the Finneytown 5

The only points in the first half came on a Finneytown snap over the quarterback's head, fallen on in the end zone for a safety.
Old 09-30-17, 09:52 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop Stix View Post
Very disappointing for Finneytown. Sounds like if they clean up some mistakes they'll have a fighting chance against DP however.
I wish I could agree but I don't think they're there yet--they couldn't move the ball a lick against a team that was giving up 40+ per game. Hawkins is really good but they're so very small up front and they just can't get people blocked. I think their longest drive might have been the 25 yards that set up the FG; their touchdown came on defense when Hawkins ripped the ball out of a running back's hands and ran it in.

I can see a light at the end of the tunnel maybe. They were running some base flexbone plays--it's really the only thing that worked for them--and if they could get that offense installed I think it really fits their personnel mix--it's designed for undersized offensive lines. Maybe by this time next year they'll be able to generate some drives?
Old 09-30-17, 11:03 AM
All District

Ilsco is on a distinguished road
Agree on the increase in good kickers in the league. I think a lot of that has to do with soccer players regularly kicking for the football teams in the respective coaching staffs getting along. Mariemont had a short kid who played soccer a few years ago who could crush the ball. I remember watching him hit three field goals in a game as a freshman or sophomore all over 40 yards. Langrabe had one of the strongest legs I have ever seen and he was also a very good soccer player. Perry, Lunberg and the kid from Reading Are also very good soccer players and Mariemont's current kicker played soccer until this year . Very cool to see
Old 10-02-17, 01:51 PM
All Region

I guess people have realized that if schools this size want to offer a full array of extracurriculars they can't afford to discourage students from doubling up if they want to. Finneytown had a kicker a few years ago who not only was on the soccer team but marched in the band as well. I don't know how the parents keep up.
Old 10-02-17, 07:56 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilsco View Post
Agree on the increase in good kickers in the league. I think a lot of that has to do with soccer players regularly kicking for the football teams in the respective coaching staffs getting along. Mariemont had a short kid who played soccer a few years ago who could crush the ball. I remember watching him hit three field goals in a game as a freshman or sophomore all over 40 yards. Langrabe had one of the strongest legs I have ever seen and he was also a very good soccer player. Perry, Lunberg and the kid from Reading Are also very good soccer players and Mariemont's current kicker played soccer until this year . Very cool to see
Hans Hinebaugh was the short kid.
Old 10-03-17, 10:54 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeoman View Post
I guess people have realized that if schools this size want to offer a full array of extracurriculars they can't afford to discourage students from doubling up if they want to. Finneytown had a kicker a few years ago who not only was on the soccer team but marched in the band as well. I don't know how the parents keep up.
I think some schools have experienced this problem in recent years. A lot of players avoid playing certain sports because they want to "specialize" in another sport. In Mariemont's case, their teams/programs suffer because their best athletes decide to only play 1 or 2 sports a year. That seems to be a change from the way it was 10 years ago - could be wrong though.
Old 10-05-17, 02:33 AM
All American

Cantrell
Reading had Eric Gilland. He was all state in football and soccer. Conner hit a 46 yard fg in a playoff game. It was raining and a terrible cross wind.
Old 10-05-17, 11:29 PM
All American

Cantrell
On another subject. I think Mariemont will win at home. If fact think think it is a must win game for them. Reading doesn't play well at Mariemont anyway. I still think Reading will make the playoff's with a 6-4 record.
Old 10-06-17, 11:46 AM
All American

Reading @ Mariemont - Mariemont by 21
Finneytown @ Deer Park - Deer Park by 14
Madeira @ Wyoming - Wyoming by 28
Indian Hill @ Taylor - IH by 40+
Old 10-06-17, 11:49 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrell View Post
On another subject. I think Mariemont will win at home. If fact think think it is a must win game for them. Reading doesn't play well at Mariemont anyway. I still think Reading will make the playoff's with a 6-4 record.
A win tonight and Mariemont likely finishes at 7-3. Does that get them into the playoffs? 8-2 didn't last year.

That 1 point loss to Oakwood at the beginning of the season may hurt them.
Old 10-06-17, 01:19 PM
All American

UnTouchableVoL33 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UnTouchableVoL33
Projections

Deer Park 20
Finneytown 14

Wyoming 49
Madeira 12

Indian Hill 41
Taylor 0

Reading 28