Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-12-17, 08:33 PM
All American

SuperD1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglePride01 View Post
I'm not saying the program is beyond criticism, but the finish to this season was heavily influenced by factors outside the control of the coaching staff. Finotti's first state title was with guys who came in under the previous regime as well. He went 3-4 against the Cats in his tenure.
The 2013 game still makes my head hurt. Fonotti should have been 4-3. That being said he won the biggest game of his tenure. The 2012 game was an all time epic HSFB game.
Old 11-12-17, 08:35 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehs View Post
I'm not sold that this would not have been the end of the season regardless of injuries. I feel the point made about the playbook not being overly complex makes it easy to defend against the Eagles. Injuries for sure hurt the offense and the defense played well all season but no defense is perfect all the time.

Finotti did win a state title with upperclassmen brought in under a different regime but they also played two full seasons in his system. He also did not inherit a program that had made 5 straight playoff appearances and threatened to win states in each of those years. 3-4 against Ignatius is frustratingly true. The 2011 games haunt me, I felt that we for sure were the better team in both of those games and came up short. While I did not care as much about the regular season game, the playoff game was a killer, fumbling a snap after a big interception, blowing a 17-3 lead in the second half was rough. He coached a great game in the next year's Holy War, running the flea flicker and winning the 50th matchup.
Wining in 10 was historic. But to say they underachieved in 11 is the understatement of the century. How do you lose with those lines?
Old 11-12-17, 09:06 PM
All Ohio

Wildcats1886
The 2011 Eagles were far and away the most talented team in the state that year. They were better than Ignatius at almost every position, but the Cats had a big advantage in the passing game (both talent at QB and overall execution / sophistication) and at kicker. Ed's was massive on the lines and loaded with great athletes all over the field on D.
Old 11-12-17, 09:25 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcats1886 View Post
The 2011 Eagles were far and away the most talented team in the state that year. They were better than Ignatius at almost every position, but the Cats had a big advantage in the passing game (both talent at QB and overall execution / sophistication) and at kicker. Ed's was massive on the lines and loaded with great athletes all over the field on D.
Kuhar had a massive sack of Williams in the third quarter of the playoff game. I remember Williams limping off the field like it happened last night. I thought the game was over.

Why Ignatius is so good. Why Kyle is so great. What Ignatius does better than everybody else.
Every season they take their 90 or so kids. They’re good kids, they’re disciplined kids. They take those kids, both great, good and average and mold them in to boxes. And on those nice, symmetrical boxes they build championships. A kid gets hurt, they have another box ready to go. It’s an absolutely brilliant strategy that works in a system where execution and discipline along with adequate talent will win far more often than not.

I agree with your comment completely.

Last edited by SuperD1; 11-12-17 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11-12-17, 11:10 PM
All Ohio

IgnatianAMDG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
He coached a great game in the next year's Holy War, running the flea flicker and winning the 50th matchup.
In many ways, that 2012 game seems like the last of an era. A completely and utterly packed Byers field. Great game.
Old 11-13-17, 08:16 AM
All Yappi

EaglePride01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm not sold that this would not have been the end of the season regardless of injuries. I feel the point made about the playbook not being overly complex makes it easy to defend against the Eagles. Injuries for sure hurt the offense and the defense played well all season but no defense is perfect all the time.

Finotti did win a state title with upperclassmen brought in under a different regime but they also played two full seasons in his system. He also did not inherit a program that had made 5 straight playoff appearances and threatened to win states in each of those years. 3-4 against Ignatius is frustratingly true. The 2011 games haunt me, I felt that we for sure were the better team in both of those games and came up short. While I did not care as much about the regular season game, the playoff game was a killer, fumbling a snap after a big interception, blowing a 17-3 lead in the second half was rough. He coached a great game in the next year's Holy War, running the flea flicker and winning the 50th matchup.
And if you remember, it was a freshman Shaun Crawford that picked off that pass. It looked like he was going to take it to the house, but the turf monster ate him up. Of course the fumbled snap occurred a few plays later. Brutal.
Old 11-13-17, 08:18 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcats1886 View Post
Yes, big advantage for the Cats at QB with Williams. And I can't recall the names off the top of my head, but the Ignatius LB corp was really good that year as well. Blake Thomas was another big time player that came up huge in those match-ups.
Old 11-13-17, 02:05 PM
Varsity

ene456 is on a distinguished road
What does the future look like for the Eagles?
Old 11-14-17, 09:18 AM
Junior Varsity

NEOhioFootball is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ene456 View Post
What does the future look like for the Eagles?
From reviewing the roster, it looks like Dzuro, Kent, Castleberry, and Kolesar will return - all talented skill players. Like many schools, it looks like the Eagles will graduate a high number of starters. I would expect the depth of their program will allow them to fill the holes left by the graduating seniors. Not sure how the JV and freshman looked.
Old 11-14-17, 10:59 AM
All Ohio

SSS is on a distinguished road
Good luck to the seniors. I really enjoyed watching this team play.
Old 11-14-17, 11:32 AM
All Yappi

Didn't see any freshman games this year, but the Gold team had a 3-5-1 record (probably the worst record in a few years). Not sure if it's a coaching or talent issue, but they didn't seem to be able to score much with a 20 point game being their highest output. They also didn't give up too many points. Lost a close one to Ignatius at the end of the year. I don't believe the freshman Cats had a great record either.

JV's went 8-1 with a 19-14 loss to Ignatius being their only blemish. That class looks pretty good and I believe a number of those guys will be expected to have roles on varsity next year. Mackenzie Wainwright (already committed to play baseball at OSU) saw some varsity time at receiver late in the year with the injuries to the starters. Jeff Pietrowski also logged varsity minutes this year on the d-line. Twins Logan and Lawson Nash are a couple nice athletes who could line up at skill positions on either side of the ball. Alain Trice could contribute in the offensive backfield with Castleberry. Devin Hightower is another talented athlete who can play either side of the ball at RB or OLB.
Old 11-14-17, 12:51 PM
All American

slammer20 is on a distinguished road
I like what the Eagles have been doing for some time now by having two freshman squads and trying to identify and develop talent by getting more involved in game day action. With a few key juniors returning and some talented sophomores being counted on to contribute in 2018, next season could be very bright for St. Edward.

The Eagles have fared well recently when they return a seasoned QB at the helm, and they have that in Dzuro in 2018. Castleberry can be their big play threat and keep defenses honest allowing the outside receivers to flourish.

The key will be the line play on both sides of the ball in '18.

Congrats on a very good year to this senior class...go Eagles!
Old 11-14-17, 03:01 PM
Junior Varsity

NEOhioFootball is on a distinguished road
Not from St. Edward, but as a fan of HS football in this part of the state, I can say with certainty that anyone who saw Fattah play came away impressed. Quite a player.
Old 11-14-17, 10:29 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioFootball View Post
Not from St. Edward, but as a fan of HS football in this part of the state, I can say with certainty that anyone who saw Fattah play came away impressed. Quite a player.
He's a really good kid too.