Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-04-17, 09:43 PM
All Yappi

Yellow_Jacket06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Yellow_Jacket06 Send a message via Yahoo to Yellow_Jacket06
We can only pray they hold a legitimate QB competition and Meyer doesn't simply legacy the position to the senior.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-17, 09:56 AM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19AL63 View Post
I hope JT is getting a good education with a degree he can earn a good living, because he will not be making his living being a QB in the NFL.
Urban will probably hire him as a coach
Old 01-05-17, 03:49 PM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
As for JT Barrett... Don't ever under estimate the strength of a veteran QB in NCAA football. How many titles has 'Bama won with mediocre QBs under center? The key is along the lines and OL is where tOSU really struggled this year, they made many players look bad at tines. Kid was voted captain as a Soph so the players are big believers in him. I look forward to seeing him play another year in Columbus then probably becoming a coach and maybe some day running the show in Columbus.
Old 01-05-17, 03:56 PM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
Urban will probably hire him as a coach
I know I would.

Have you ever heard about him in the locker room? And he commands respect like Don Corleone when he walks in. At pressers he already sounds like Meyer or Saban. Let this guy lose on the recruiting trail and he will run circles around some of the best in the biz. Only thing he might not be top notch in is Xs and Os but he can leave that up to the geeks like Herman. Now as a QB he has limitations and is probably not a NFL guy but neither was Troy Smith but what does he do these days?
Old 01-05-17, 04:39 PM
All Yappi

Yellow_Jacket06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Yellow_Jacket06 Send a message via Yahoo to Yellow_Jacket06
Tyquan returning for his senior year is huge for leadership of the defense. The front is still going to be nasty.
Old 01-05-17, 04:42 PM
All Yappi

If true that is shocking. He doesn't have much to gain by coming back, but I'm certainly all for it
Old 01-05-17, 08:29 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
As for JT Barrett... Don't ever under estimate the strength of a veteran QB in NCAA football. How many titles has 'Bama won with mediocre QBs under center? The key is along the lines and OL is where tOSU really struggled this year, they made many players look bad at tines. Kid was voted captain as a Soph so the players are big believers in him. I look forward to seeing him play another year in Columbus then probably becoming a coach and maybe some day running the show in Columbus.
I get the point on Barretts leadership and I accept it's a big factor. But, his inability to accurately throw the ball downfield is a real limitation and opening up the competition for QB is appropriate under the circumstances.

I do disagree with your statement that Bama won with "mediocre" QB's. McCarron is a solid NFL back-up QB who is likely to get a big contract and a shot at starting when his current contract is up. Playing in the NFL means he isn't "mediocre". The better example is Meyer's national title win with Tebow at QB. Now that's a mediocre QB! I suspect that Meyer looks at Barrett like he did Tebow placing a huge amount of value on locker room presence & "leadership".
Old 01-05-17, 11:02 PM
All Yappi

kent16 is on a distinguished road
Tebow mediocre QB .. In the NFL sure, but in the gimmick Florida O he wasn't anything close to mediocre
Old 01-06-17, 07:07 AM
All American

WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
Wow, is he kidding?
Old 01-06-17, 09:34 AM
All Yappi

Tebow was 10x the college QB that Barrett is
Old 01-06-17, 10:22 AM
All World

irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
Barrett is a very good college QB and as others mention his command of the TEAM is excellent. Urban puts him right there with Tebow.

Anyone discrediting Tebow needs their head examined. Heisman and two national titles. Arguably the top college QB in the modern era.
Old 01-07-17, 11:53 AM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
Barrett is a very good college QB and as others mention his command of the TEAM is excellent. Urban puts him right there with Tebow.

Anyone discrediting Tebow needs their head examined. Heisman and two national titles. Arguably the top college QB in the modern era.
Let me rephrase, as a PASSING QB Tebow was mediocre. IMO of course. I loved the way he played the game and rooted for him to succeed in the NFL but he had a lot of the same limitations that Barrett has when it comes to seeing the field and throwing the ball downfield accurately.

But my main point was that McCarren was NOT a mediocre QB and I would Take AJ over Tebow or Barrett in a heartbeat with respect to passing the football.
Old 01-07-17, 05:34 PM
All Ohio

falguin is on a distinguished road
McCarren is turning out to be a good pro.
Old 01-07-17, 09:24 PM
All American

Noah Brown to the NFL. I'm ok with that. I hope Curtis comes back.
Old 01-07-17, 10:08 PM
All World

irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
Let me rephrase, as a PASSING QB Tebow was mediocre. IMO of course. I loved the way he played the game and rooted for him to succeed in the NFL but he had a lot of the same limitations that Barrett has when it comes to seeing the field and throwing the ball downfield accurately.

But my main point was that McCarren was NOT a mediocre QB and I would Take AJ over Tebow or Barrett in a heartbeat with respect to passing the football.
Makes sense. I still say it is tough to surpass experience and moxy. Hopefully Wilson can do a better job using Barrett's skillset to the Buckeye's advantage.
Old 01-07-17, 10:56 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
Noah Brown to the NFL. I'm ok with that. I hope Curtis comes back.
Yeah, hoping Samuel gives it another year and Gibson comes back. Either way, Victor needs to be the man on the outside.

As to Noah Brown, he probably doesn't feel like spending another year blocking for Barrett sweeps
Old 01-09-17, 10:44 AM
Cooling Off

Jim Lahey can only hope to improve
Curtis Samuel will be entering the draft. Jeeze.

On the flip side: Gibson is flying into Ohio today, from FL.
Old 01-09-17, 12:18 PM
All American

Torrence Gibson to UC? Has been confirmed that he is not enrolled at OSU for this semester.
Old 01-09-17, 12:19 PM
All American

Big time bummed about Curtis leaving, although I don't blame him. He was going to be huge next year if they were to make another CFP run.
Old 01-09-17, 01:51 PM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Penn state is the favorite now.no offense
Old 01-09-17, 03:59 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
There hasn't been a Noah Brown sighting since the Oklahoma game...
Old 01-09-17, 03:59 PM
Cooling Off

That's because Barrett is a bad passing QB.
Old 01-10-17, 09:10 AM
All Yappi

Wow, amazing how people pile on, especially on JT Barrett, after a loss. I'm not happy as to how he performed late, but the guy has two of the top five passing yardage seasons, the top passing efficiency season, 2 of the top 5 passing yardage seasons and the second highest career per game passing yardage in OSU history, and had the highest career completion percentage coming into the season.

With Barrett, Burrow and Martell, I'm not concerned about the QB position. I'm more concerned with them finding an OC that can run plays to actually get guys open and recruiting some dynamic receivers
Old 01-10-17, 10:19 AM
All Yappi

He can't throw it further than 7 yards
Old 01-10-17, 10:35 AM
All Yappi

Well, he averages 12 yards a completion over his career. He also holds the OSU record for TD passes in a season.

Like I said earlier, I'm not happy with his recent performances, but he's not the stiff he's being portrayed to be.
Old 01-10-17, 10:39 AM
All Yappi

In 2014 every time he'd basically do a forward handoff to Jalin or someone else that went for 50 yards he'd get credit for a 50 yard pass completion. But that doesn't mean he can throw the ball downfield.

He knows it too. That's why you see him holding on to the ball forever. He can't throw it unless someone is wide wide open. Then the receivers and o-line end up getting blamed because people can't look objectively at what Barrett really is
Old 01-10-17, 10:54 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
That's because Barrett is a bad passing QB.
Brown is not that fast, and Barrett can't "throw him open" or be accurate on time anymore. Bad pairing.

The games in which Barrett looked good throwing the ball, after the injury to Braxton, were I think against some weaker teams. We've never really seen it again from him.
Old 01-10-17, 10:57 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
In 2014 every time he'd basically do a forward handoff to Jalin or someone else that went for 50 yards he'd get credit for a 50 yard pass completion. But that doesn't mean he can throw the ball downfield.

He knows it too. That's why you see him holding on to the ball forever. He can't throw it unless someone is wide wide open. Then the receivers and o-line end up getting blamed because people can't look objectively at what Barrett really is
Yeah, I think if YAC was separated out of Barrett's passing stats, the result would look pretty sad.
Old 01-10-17, 12:01 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Wow, amazing how people pile on, especially on JT Barrett, after a loss. I'm not happy as to how he performed late, but the guy has two of the top five passing yardage seasons, the top passing efficiency season, 2 of the top 5 passing yardage seasons and the second highest career per game passing yardage in OSU history, and had the highest career completion percentage coming into the season.

With Barrett, Burrow and Martell, I'm not concerned about the QB position. I'm more concerned with them finding an OC that can run plays to actually get guys open and recruiting some dynamic receivers
Did you not watch the games? It seems you did not.

Also, you're forgetting Haskins who may be the best QB on the roster right now.
Old 01-10-17, 12:02 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
Brown is not that fast, and Barrett can't "throw him open" or be accurate on time anymore. Bad pairing.

The games in which Barrett looked good throwing the ball, after the injury to Braxton, were I think against some weaker teams. We've never really seen it again from him.
Brown has the body to shield away DBs. Barrett just needs to learn to throw the ball.

You're correct. The only good passing game he had in '14 against a defense with a pulse was MSU.