Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-19-17, 09:13 AM
All Region

Jet19 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwwarrior09 View Post
I'm seeing on social media Mechanicsburg beat Graham 13-7 in their jamboree game tonight.
Riverside beat Northeastern 21-7 in their jamboree game. I wasn't able to make it, but I know Riverside was a pretty good football team last season. NE has Kenton Ridge week 1 and NE hasn't beat them since 2009. KR is filling a lot of holes this season too including a soph QB who has never taken a varsity snap. I am hoping NE can finally get over the hump against KR this season (Not a big ref blamer but the zebras helped KR in last years 22-20 game) and I think NE should be able to beat Northwestern in week 2 setting up a good week 3 matchup against Plains. NE vs Plains will be a good game to use as a measuring stick to see how good they are.
Old 08-19-17, 03:45 PM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
In another jamboree update, it looks like Urbana beat West Liberty 31-28.
Old 08-21-17, 07:51 AM
All Region

wls_color is on a distinguished road
WLS has some work to do, it sounds like Mechanicsburg does as well.

West Jefferson is the favorite in the north heading in to Week 1 - there's no debate at this point (could possibly go 10-0 this year).

Week 1, who you got?

Grove City Christian @ CATHOLIC CENTRAL
CEDARVILLE @ MECHANICSBURG
Pleasant @ GREENON
GREENEVIEW @ Arcanum
SOUTHEASTERN @ Northwestern
Westfall @ MADISON PLAINS
Kenton Ridge @ NORTHEASTERN
Ben Logan @ FAIRBANKS
Graham @ WEST LIBERTY-SALEM
Columbus Crusaders @ WEST JEFFERSON
TRIAD @ Indian Lake
Old 08-21-17, 07:54 AM
All Region

Quote:
In another jamboree update, it looks like Urbana beat West Liberty 31-28.
Was actually 41-38
Old 08-21-17, 08:58 AM
All American

El Indio is on a distinguished road
I think CC lost to Ansonia and SE beat East Clinton.
Does anyone have anymore scores?
Old 08-21-17, 11:49 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by wls_color View Post
WLS has some work to do, it sounds like Mechanicsburg does as well.

West Jefferson is the favorite in the north heading in to Week 1 - there's no debate at this point (could possibly go 10-0 this year).

Week 1, who you got?

Grove City Christian @ CATHOLIC CENTRAL
CEDARVILLE @ MECHANICSBURG
Pleasant @ GREENON
GREENEVIEW @ Arcanum
SOUTHEASTERN @ Northwestern
Westfall @ MADISON PLAINS
Kenton Ridge @ NORTHEASTERN
Ben Logan @ FAIRBANKS
Graham @ WEST LIBERTY-SALEM
Columbus Crusaders @ WEST JEFFERSON
TRIAD @ Indian Lake
Central over Grove City Christian
Mechanicsburg over Cedarville
Pleasant over Greenon
Greeneview over Arcanum
Southeastern over Northwestern
Madison Plains over Westfall
Northeastern over Kenton Ridge
Ben Logan over Fairbanks
West Liberty over Graham
West Jefferson over Columbus Crusaders
Indian Lake over Triad
Old 08-21-17, 11:52 AM
All Region

Fairbanks beat Lakewood 45-0. Unless there is another Lakewood I don't know about, that's a Dvision I team. They went 0-10 last season...but beating a DI school 45-0 is impressive no matter who it is.
Old 08-21-17, 11:57 AM
All Region

My week 1 picks:

Catholic Central over Grove City Christian
Pleasant over Greenon
Kenton Ridge over Northeastern
Fairbanks over Ben Logan
WLS over Graham
Indian Lake over Triad
Old 08-21-17, 12:51 PM
Varsity

WJ-OSU-STEELERS is on a distinguished road
I assume Fairbanks scrimmaged Hebron Lakewood located out by Buckeye Lake, they play in the Licking County league (Newark Catholic, Heath, Licking Heights, etc). They are a division III or IV team. They have a strong baseball and softball tradition but have struggled in football over the years.
Old 08-21-17, 01:06 PM
All Region

Quote:
My week 1 picks:

Catholic Central over Grove City Christian
Pleasant over Greenon
Kenton Ridge over Northeastern
Fairbanks over Ben Logan
WLS over Graham
Indian Lake over Triad
Who you got in the Greeneview vs Arcanum game?
Old 08-21-17, 01:57 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet19 View Post
Who you got in the Greeneview vs Arcanum game?
Missed that one!

Greeneveiw over Arcanum
Old 08-21-17, 01:57 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ-OSU-STEELERS View Post
I assume Fairbanks scrimmaged Hebron Lakewood located out by Buckeye Lake, they play in the Licking County league (Newark Catholic, Heath, Licking Heights, etc). They are a division III or IV team. They have a strong baseball and softball tradition but have struggled in football over the years.
That makes a helluva lot more sense. Haha.
Old 08-21-17, 02:48 PM
Varsity

WJ-OSU-STEELERS is on a distinguished road
Still an impressive showing by Fairbanks and Madison Plains in their respective scrimmages last week. Both teams have to feel good about their chances this year. In the OHC South, Greeneview has a new coach and in the North, WLS and Mechanicsburg lost a lot from last year.
Old 08-21-17, 03:18 PM
Junior Varsity

OHC is on a distinguished road
Ohio Heritage Conference 2017

I got the chance to watch the Mechanicsburg / Graham scrimmage on Friday. Mechanicsburg will definitely have a tough road this year with the top teams in the OHC South and North, but they should roll fairly easy over the lower tier teams. Their running game is going to be what they need to rely on, even though the QB has improved quite a bit from being the backup last year. To be fair, Graham is a huge team that is going to be much better than they have been in recent years, and I would not be surprised if WLS has a tough time with them on week 1. WLS has a very small and inexperienced QB that cannot run the ball at all, and they only have one good RB. The defensive line and LB's are strong, but they are going to struggle big time in the secondary. I haven't seen any other teams this offseason other than Fairbanks, who should be better than last year, but it should be an interesting year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by OHC; 08-21-17 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-21-17, 04:19 PM
All Region

Anyone know what Ben Logan did in their scrimmage?
Old 08-21-17, 05:19 PM
All Yappi

The most interesting week one games are probably Central, SE and NE. Grove City Christian had a really bad record last year, but they also played a lot of brutal games against MSL teams. Boys basketball blew up there with transfers last year, so that's always a distinct possibility. SE should be interesting to see how they transition to what I assume will be more of a spread offense. Both of those teams struggled a lot last year, and NW has 18 starters back. NE may be due for a win over KR. They were close last year, and it sounds like KR may be a bit young this year.

I'd be fairly surprised if any of the other games ended up closer than two TDs. I can see there being at least four blowouts.
Old 08-21-17, 06:19 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ-OSU-STEELERS View Post
Still an impressive showing by Fairbanks and Madison Plains in their respective scrimmages last week. Both teams have to feel good about their chances this year. In the OHC South, Greeneview has a new coach and in the North, WLS and Mechanicsburg lost a lot from last year.
I read that Coach Kasner is staying on the staff at Greeneview as OC. So the coaching change might not hit Greeneview very hard. Losing some good players will though.
Old 08-21-17, 06:21 PM
All Region

Quote:
The most interesting week one games are probably Central, SE and NE. Grove City Christian had a really bad record last year, but they also played a lot of brutal games against MSL teams. Boys basketball blew up there with transfers last year, so that's always a distinct possibility. SE should be interesting to see how they transition to what I assume will be more of a spread offense. Both of those teams struggled a lot last year, and NW has 18 starters back. NE may be due for a win over KR. They were close last year, and it sounds like KR may be a bit young this year.

I'd be fairly surprised if any of the other games ended up closer than two TDs. I can see there being at least four blowouts.
I didn't know Northwestern had that many starters back. I just had a feeling they were down because of the coaching change. I went to the NE vs NW game last season and it wasn't very competitive. NE lost their best OL-DL and WR though too.
Old 08-21-17, 07:07 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Anyone know what Ben Logan did in their scrimmage?

I have watched the past two BL scrimmages against River Valley and North Union (when I stated previously that I haven't seen any other scrimmages, I was referring to OHC teams). Ben Logan is in some big trouble this season. Their O and D lines are terrible, and the QB and WR's are nowhere close to last year. Their D-line cannot stop anything up the middle, and the O-line cannot protect at all. The QB will be running for his life for most of the season. My prediction is that they will probably beat Fairbanks, Upper Scioto Valley, Tecumseh and Graham. Close games will be Northwestern, WLS, Urbana and Indian Lake. I see Johnathon Alter beating them easily, and Bellefontaine running them off of the field. 6-4 is my prediction. 7-3 if they have a really good season.

Old 08-21-17, 10:49 PM
All Region

Quote:
Was actually 41-38
Was that 41-38 all varsity? And is Urbana better or WLS just getting in tune?
Old 08-21-17, 10:51 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHC View Post
I have watched the past two BL scrimmages against River Valley and North Union (when I stated previously that I haven't seen any other scrimmages, I was referring to OHC teams). Ben Logan is in some big trouble this season. Their O and D lines are terrible, and the QB and WR's are nowhere close to last year. Their D-line cannot stop anything up the middle, and the O-line cannot protect at all. The QB will be running for his life for most of the season. My prediction is that they will probably beat Fairbanks, Upper Scioto Valley, Tecumseh and Graham. Close games will be Northwestern, WLS, Urbana and Indian Lake. I see Johnathon Alter beating them easily, and Bellefontaine running them off of the field. 6-4 is my prediction. 7-3 if they have a really good season.

I don't know much about River Valley but I know North Union is tough. You really think Northwestern is going to be better than Tecumseh?
Old 08-21-17, 11:38 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
I don't know much about River Valley but I know North Union is tough. You really think Northwestern is going to be better than Tecumseh?

Not necessarily better than Tecumseh. I just think that Northwestern will match up better with what Ben Logan's weaknesses are. Either way, if BL can go 6-4 they should feel lucky. They were completely manhandled on both sides of the ball by North Union, who looked very good, and a River Valley team that ran the ball at will up the middle.
Old 08-22-17, 07:02 AM
All Region

Quote:
Was that 41-38 all varsity? And is Urbana better or WLS just getting in tune?
No, I think Urbana was up like 31-24 after first string came off. Tough to say. WLS gave up some big plays. If you take away a couple of missed assignments, WLS probably rolls in that game. But that's a a part of football.
Old 08-22-17, 04:31 PM
All Yappi

I'm not putting much stock in the WLS jamboree result. I've heard in the past few years that MP has played fairly "even" in early scrimmages against WLS (I think a tri-scrimmage? I can't remember who used to be the third team in those). The regular season results tell me WLS would have plowed MP in a real game in all of those years. WLS seems to be a team that's usually getting in "tune" in the pre-season and the first few weeks of the season, IMO.

Last edited by nwwarrior09; 08-22-17 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-22-17, 04:36 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I didn't know Northwestern had that many starters back. I just had a feeling they were down because of the coaching change. I went to the NE vs NW game last season and it wasn't very competitive. NE lost their best OL-DL and WR though too.
They were pretty uncompetitive against almost everybody last year. I think they'll be modestly better this year, and put up a decent record next year with a bunch of third year varsity players and the assumptuous return of the CBC two crossover game format.

Two teams that weren't all that great the previous year, new coaches, and system changes/tweaks probably results in a week one tossup IMO. I could see a really sloppy game here with 1-2 major miscues being the difference.

Last edited by nwwarrior09; 08-22-17 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-22-17, 04:48 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHC View Post
Not necessarily better than Tecumseh. I just think that Northwestern will match up better with what Ben Logan's weaknesses are. Either way, if BL can go 6-4 they should feel lucky. They were completely manhandled on both sides of the ball by North Union, who looked very good, and a River Valley team that ran the ball at will up the middle.
No offense to any of the CBC MRD teams, but most will have to field pretty good teams by their standards to win 6-7 games with their current three crossover game format. The track record across the board is pretty awful in those matchups in recent history. Unless BL, IL, etc. is fairly strong, odds say they'll go 0-3 or 1-2 in those games unless the KTD teams are down across the board, as they were last year. NW is 5-24 this century against Tecumseh, KR and Shawnee, with four of those wins being against KR. If BL is way down, I would almost guarantee Tecumseh will win fairly easily against them, as they likely will against NW.

Last edited by nwwarrior09; 08-22-17 at 05:17 PM.
Old 08-22-17, 06:36 PM
Freshman

bawlhawk is on a distinguished road
It's not surprising to hear Ben Logan is down. They lost a boatload of arguably the best senior classes to come through the school in quite a while and lost probably their best defensive minded coach from their staff.
Might be payback time from some of the schools that BL ran the scores up on the past few years.
Old 08-24-17, 01:42 AM
Varsity

roughriderpride is on a distinguished road
Even though Kasner has stepped down as head coach but is still on the staff at Greenview I believe, I think they are still the team to beat on their side.

Team Strength- DL, Secondary, WRs/RBs.

Team weakness- Must Replace 4 Of 5 OL, Need New QB

Rams returners-

Offensive Starters- 5
Defensive Starters- 7
2016 JV Record- 4-3
Starting Quarterback Returning- no
Top Running Back Returning- yes
Top Receiver Returning- no
Top OL Returning- no
Top Defender Returning- no

Top Players:

Jacob Green- 6'1" 210 Senior- RB/LB
Griffin Mangan- 5'9" 180 Senior- RB/LB
Tyler Robinette- 5'10" 170 Senior- WR/DB

I think that MP and Fairbanks shoot it out for 2nd place.

As for the other league?
WJ returns the most on both sides of the ball especially a much better swarming and tackling defense.
On offense, a much improved qb in Lambert who had a lot of off season work.
I believe the riders return 5-6 on both sides of the ball.

Burg-
Team Strengths:
Athleticism, Togetherness

Team Weaknesses:
Inexperience

Returning players:

Offensive Starters- 3
Defensive Starters- 3
2016 JV Record- 7-1
Starting Quarterback Returning- no
Top Running Back Returning- yes (Knapp)
Top Receiver Returning- no
Top OL Returning- no
Top Defender Returning- no

Top Players:

Cannon Propst- 215 Senior (OL/DL)
Dustin Knapp- 190 Senior (RB/LB) *
Joey Mascadri- Junior (WR/DB)

Have to wait and see what the new qb will be like after 4 years!
Not sure if they are gone with Hurst or Myers, probably Myers, he is a sr. 6' 200.

WLS-
Team Strengths:
Work-Ethic, Unity

Team Weaknesses:
Depth, Youth

Top Players

Trevor Burden- 6'4" 270 Senior (OL/DL)
Braden Miller- 5'10" 190 Senior (RB/LB)
Levi Moell- 5'7" 150 Senior (WR/DB)

A dark horse this year- Triad
Triad only has 19 kids on the team but returns 17 starters!

Team Strengths:
Size, Depth, Speed

Team Weaknesses:
Youth, Inexperience, Strength

Cardinal Returning Players

Offensive Starters- 9
Defensive Starters- 8
2016 JV Record- 3-3
Starting Quarterback Returning- yes
Top Running Back Returning- yes
Top Receiver Returning- yes
Top OL Returning- yes
Top Defender Returning- yes

Top Players:

Andy Martin- 5'9" 170 Senior (RB/OLB)
Riley Louck- 6'0" 225 Junior (OL/DL)
Dylan Rice- 5'9" 165 Junior (RB/DB)

Their qb should be Jordan Simonell So. 6-2 195.

I'm picking wj this year because each season they entered a new league they won that league the same year in football.
Old 08-24-17, 03:04 PM
Varsity

Cville-OMW is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the updates and info, especially since this is first year in OHC for WJ, although we have had some battles with OHC teams in the past.

WSL I am still not quite ready to put WJ at the top of the North until they prove some things on the field, but I will say I like the intensity they have put forth so far.

I am going to take a shot at these, although some are admittedly pretty blind

CATHOLIC CENTRAL over GCC - Grove City looks pretty small and had tough year last year, and even with low numbers it seems CC finds ways to win some games

MECHANICSBURG over Cedarville - Burg at home and even with inexperience, the last 4 years and confidence carries them through

Pleasant over GREENON - Pleasant too much for Greenon

GREENEVIEW over Arcanum - pick up key road win, stay as primary contender in South

SOUTHEASTERN over Northwestern - no sure here

Westfall over MADISON PLAINS - plains seems to be up and down team

Kenton Ridge over NORTHEASTERN - not sure here

FAIRBANKS over Ben Logan - pick up home win to start the year right

WEST LIBERTY-SALEM over Graham - not a wrastlin match

WEST JEFFERSON over Crusaders - need to come out swinging

TRIAD over Indian Lake - based on roughriderpride prediction
Old 08-24-17, 04:49 PM
Freshman

Moacmama is on a distinguished road
in case you guys haven't heard, Pleasant vs Greenon was cancelled due to the deaths of two Greenon students this week.