Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-19-17, 06:17 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
I don't care how many astronomers want to call Pluto a big moon - it will ALWAYS be a planet in my eyes!
C'mon, lotr, get it right! Pluto is now a "dwarf planet", not a "big moon".

And now, we even have kilonovas! What next? Megamonsternovas?

The universe gets stranger and stranger...
Old 10-22-17, 08:13 AM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Now here's something very interesting about what may be causing the unusual dimming of a star which might in turn indicate a factor that contributes to long term climate conditions on earth:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1013091951.htm

The unusual dimming led to a lot of potential explanations, including speculation that alien megastructures built to harvest the star's energy were passing in front of the star and creating the dips in brightness.

A scientific paper recently published by The Astrophysical Journal points to space dust circling the star as the source of the long-term dimming. The paper's findings are based on space observations from NASA's Spitzer and Swift missions, plus ground observations from amateur astronomers at Belgium's AstroLAB IRIS public observatory. All the observations were from October 2015 through December 2016, and from ultraviolet to mid-infrared wavelengths, including visible light.

While I'm disappointed that the dimming is likely NOT caused by Alien superstructures but instead may result from dust, it does remind us that as the solar system moves through space even tiny changes in dust concentration between the earth & sun could lead to observable climate change. Just another example of the insane complexity of the contributing factors to our climate.
Old 10-24-17, 08:38 PM
All Yappi

More great news for SpaceX:

http://spacenews.com/air-force-adds-...gine-contract/

The U.S. Air Force has provided SpaceX with an additional $40.7 million to support continued development of the company’s Raptor engine.

A Defense Department contract announcement Oct. 19 stated that the Air Force was modifying an existing agreement with SpaceX, originally awarded in January 2016, by providing the company with $40.766 million “for the development of the Raptor rocket propulsion system prototype for the Evolved Expendable Launch Vehicle program.”

So what's the "Raptor":

Raptor is a liquid oxygen and methane engine that SpaceX is developing for its BFR launch system. The updated design of the BFR, unveiled by Chief Executive Elon Musk at the International Astronautical Congress (IAC) in Australia Sept. 29, uses 31 Raptor engines in a reusable booster stage and seven engines in the upper “spaceship” capable of placing 150 metric tons into low Earth orbit or carrying out missions to the moon and Mars.
Old 10-27-17, 08:41 AM
All Yappi

Under the title "The More the Merrier" comes this interesting news:

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-N...3711508997909/

India will make its second mission to the moon in 2018, the Indian Space Research Organization announced this week.

The Chandrayaan 2 spacecraft consists of an orbiter, lander and rover configuration "to perform mineralogical and elemental studies of the lunar surface," the ISRO said.
Old 10-27-17, 01:58 PM
All Yappi

I don't want to alarm folks but...........................

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/27/us/mys...rnd/index.html

Astronomers around the world are trying to track down a small, fast-moving object that is zipping through our solar system.

Is a comet? An asteroid? NASA's not sure. The space agency doesn't even know where it came from, but it's not behaving like the local space rocks and that means it may not be from our solar system.

If that's confirmed, NASA says "it would be the first interstellar object to be observed and confirmed by astronomers."

"We have been waiting for this day for decades," Paul Chodas, manager of NASA's Center for Near-Earth Object Studies, said in a NASA news release. "It's long been theorized that such objects exist -- asteroids or comets moving around between the stars and occasionally passing through our solar system -- but this is the first such detection. So far, everything indicates this is likely an interstellar object, but more data would help to confirm it."

They can believe it's a comet or big rock all they want but until I see proof I'm thinking this is a fast moving probe sent by a malevolent species as a vanguard to their invasion fleet approaching from out beyond the Solar System.
Old 10-27-17, 06:51 PM
All World

Quote:
I don't want to alarm folks but...........................
............aliens!!!
Old 10-29-17, 07:48 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
............aliens!!!
Here's more on the upcoming alien invasion:

http://www.sciencealert.com/astronom...e-solar-system

Preliminary observations suggested it to be a comet with a velocity that indicated it was flung out from a nearby star rather than getting caught in the Sun's gravitational pull, as comets from our Solar System would be.

Then things got more confusing.

The initial readings were taken on 18 October from the Pan-STARRS 1 telescope in Hawaii by the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center (MPC). Judging by its orbit, astronomers hypothesised it could be a comet unlike any we've seen before.

"If further observations confirm the unusual nature of this orbit, this object may be the first clear case of an interstellar comet," reported the associate director of the MPC, Gareth Williams.

The object has what's called a hyperbolic orbit, which means it's going fast enough to avoid getting drawn in by the Sun.

Sure it's a "comet", I've seen this movie before!
Old 10-31-17, 08:42 AM
All Yappi

First, here's the latest news for that amazing Jupiter probe Juno:

https://www.space.com/32742-juno-spacecraft.html

Hopefully this probe can start to unravel the mysteries of the Solar Systems biggest planet:

The National Research Council identified a Jupiter orbiter as a scientific priority in 2003 in its decadal survey, "New Frontiers in the Solar System: An Integrated Exploration Strategy." Among the questions raised at the time were:

* Does Jupiter have a central core, which will help narrow down how the planet was formed?

* How much water is in its atmosphere, which helps researchers understand how big planets were created?

* How it is possible that giant weather systems remain so stable?

* What is the nature of the magnetic field and plasma surrounding Jupiter?
Old 10-31-17, 08:45 AM
All Yappi

Second, here's the latest from the bizzare universe of Black Holes and why they always fascinate us:

https://phys.org/news/2017-10-scient...ing-black.html

Check out the cool video embedded in the article and also see what may have inspired the Empire to build the planet busting Death Ray on the Death Star!

They are nature's very own Death Star beams - ultra-powerful jets of energy that shoot out from the vicinity of black holes like deadly rays from the Star Wars super-weapon.

Now a team of scientists led by the University of Southampton has moved a step closer to understanding these mysterious cosmic phenomena - known as relativistic jets - by measuring how quickly they 'switch on' and start shining brightly once they are launched.

How these jets form is still a puzzle. One theory suggests that they develop within the 'accretion disc' - the matter sucked into the orbit of a growing black hole. Extreme gravity within the disc twists and stretches magnetic fields, squeezing hot, magnetised disc material called plasma until it erupts in the form of oppositely directed magnetic pillars along the black hole's rotational axis.

Plasma travels along these focused jets and gains tremendous speed, shooting across vast stretches of space. At some point, the plasma begins to shine brightly, but how and where this occurs in the jet has been debated by scientists.
Old 11-01-17, 08:43 AM
All Yappi

I'm a sucker for scientific theories that purport to claim what aliens should look like:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...k-like-us.html

Researchers from the University of Oxford have shown for the first time how evolutionary theory can be used to predict alien behaviour.

Their theory supports the argument that foreign life forms undergo natural selection, and like us, are evolving to be stronger over time.

Now I will admit to being very skeptical of their proposition largely because the only data they have in support of their theory is how life evolved on earth. But it is a start and you should check out the article if just for the cool pictures & video.
Old 11-01-17, 06:34 PM
All World

^^^ Great topic. I believe we discussed it earlier in this thread.

Will aliens look similar to us? Or nearly unrecognizable to us?

I'm in the second camp. I don't think ET's will closely resemble us. There are too many different types of stars and planets and different conditions for life to evolve under. Different star types, planet composition, gravity, atmospheric pressure, temperatures, magnetism, amounts of liquid water, radiation, oxygen, tectonic plates, daylight, orbit, length of day/year, etc. Different conditions mean different ecological niches which would require different evolutionary paths and result in strange looking life forms, IMO. Life evolving on a planet orbiting around a red dwarf star wouldn't look anything like us.
Old 11-02-17, 04:55 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
^^^ Great topic. I believe we discussed it earlier in this thread.

Will aliens look similar to us? Or nearly unrecognizable to us?

I'm in the second camp. I don't think ET's will closely resemble us. There are too many different types of stars and planets and different conditions for life to evolve under. Different star types, planet composition, gravity, atmospheric pressure, temperatures, magnetism, amounts of liquid water, radiation, oxygen, tectonic plates, daylight, orbit, length of day/year, etc. Different conditions mean different ecological niches which would require different evolutionary paths and result in strange looking life forms, IMO. Life evolving on a planet orbiting around a red dwarf star wouldn't look anything like us.
I'm with you on this Blackhawk. Considering the remarkable diversity of life on just ONE planet there is no reason to think that we won't see that same level of diversity around sentient life. Unless there is something unique about life becoming sentient that governs its form we will likely be shocked at how diverse intelligent life is out in the Galaxy.
Old 11-02-17, 04:58 PM
All Yappi

Dark Matter, the BIG BANG and the birth of the Universe all in one article:

https://www.space.com/38640-dark-mat...ang-kavli.html

The prevailing view of the universe has just passed a rigorous new test, but the mysteries of dark matter and dark energy remain frustratingly unsolved.

A new cosmic map was unveiled in August, plotting where the mysterious substance called dark matter is clumped across the universe. To immense relief — and frustration — the map is just what scientists had expected. The distribution of dark matter agrees with our current understanding of a universe born with certain properties in a Big Bang, 13.8 billion years ago.

The article features a fascinating Q&A with the worlds leaders in astrophysics as they comment on a host of subjects around Dark Matter and the Big Bang!
Old 11-07-17, 06:15 AM
All Yappi

Here's some interesting answers to questions about living in space from someone who has actually lived in space:

http://nypost.com/2017/11/04/what-li...-to-your-body/

No. 1 grossest thing about living in space

Because everyone floats inside the space station, no one is using their feet to move around except during exercise, like stationary cycling and running on a treadmill that they’re strapped to using a harness. As a result, the soles of the astronauts’ feet start to shed from lack of use after the first couple of months. If a crewmate removes his or her socks too quickly, a flurry of dead skin flakes will fill the cabin.
Old 11-07-17, 06:18 AM
All Yappi

Here's the latest news about our nearest Galactic neighbor Proxima Centauri:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1103081823.htm

The lead author of the new study, Guillem Anglada [1], from the Instituto de Astrofísica de Andalucía (CSIC), Granada, Spain, explains the significance of this find: "The dust around Proxima is important because, following the discovery of the terrestrial planet Proxima b, it's the first indication of the presence of an elaborate planetary system, and not just a single planet, around the star closest to our Sun."
Old 11-07-17, 07:35 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Here's some interesting answers to questions about living in space from someone who has actually lived in space:

http://nypost.com/2017/11/04/what-li...-to-your-body/

No. 1 grossest thing about living in space

Because everyone floats inside the space station, no one is using their feet to move around except during exercise, like stationary cycling and running on a treadmill that they’re strapped to using a harness. As a result, the soles of the astronauts’ feet start to shed from lack of use after the first couple of months. If a crewmate removes his or her socks too quickly, a flurry of dead skin flakes will fill the cabin.
Great stuff.

I saw Mark Kelly speak in Denver earlier this year, he alluded to this. He said his favorite audience to speak to consists of 10 year-olds, they love details like this.
Old 11-07-17, 06:26 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
Great stuff.

I saw Mark Kelly speak in Denver earlier this year, he alluded to this. He said his favorite audience to speak to consists of 10 year-olds, they love details like this.
I'll bet that was cool seeing Mark Kelly speak.

Mark's twin brother, Scott, has a new book titled "Endurance" that details his year aboard the International Space Station. I've read excerpts from it and the book stresses how difficult and time consuming even the simplest tasks are...like putting on clothes without the help of gravity or going to the bathroom. It's not easy or glamorous living in space, that's for sure...it's extremely difficult...and gross...I'm sure the gross stuff is what the 10-year olds love to hear!
Old 11-07-17, 07:45 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I'll bet that was cool seeing Mark Kelly speak.

Mark's twin brother, Scott, has a new book titled "Endurance" that details his year aboard the International Space Station. I've read excerpts from it and the book stresses how difficult and time consuming even the simplest tasks are...like putting on clothes without the help of gravity or going to the bathroom. It's not easy or glamorous living in space, that's for sure...it's extremely difficult...and gross...I'm sure the gross stuff is what the 10-year olds love to hear!
They need to start spinning things ASAP! Here's how it's done:

Old 11-07-17, 07:55 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I don't think the Mars trip is feasible until we have ships that produce artificial gravity. The more information we get about living in zero gravity, the more that solidifies in my mind.
Old 11-08-17, 08:31 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
Yeah, I don't think the Mars trip is feasible until we have ships that produce artificial gravity. The more information we get about living in zero gravity, the more that solidifies in my mind.
I agree. Mark Kelly set some kind of endurance record for being in space. In addition to the loss of bone density and muscle tone, one strange side-effect he hadn't anticipated when he got back home was how the nerves in his skin had trouble adjusting to the feel of fabric on Earth. He also said the soles of his feet were particularly painful - not just sore from bearing weight again, but with sharp shooting needle-like pains like they were on fire and being jabbed with ice picks. Took several months for that to go away.

A very interesting presentation - and he's a great speaker also.
Old 11-08-17, 08:44 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Hopefully this is something NASA is putting great effort against. In fact sooner rather then later we need to get a spinning habitat into space and start testing the long term impact of "artificial" gravity on peoples physiological AND psychological health.
Old 11-08-17, 08:48 AM
All Yappi

I thought this was very interesting - a detailed look at how we might fight a war and defend our assets in space:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/mili...role-in-space/

As always Popular Mechanics offers up some great videos, diagrams and stuff like this:

"Kinetic" is the military's favorite euphemism for lethal force via missiles, bullets and the like. In this case, it means destroying a satellite with a weapon that physically smashes into it. Whether the U.S. or other countries are planning to put weapons in orbit—either to kill other satellites or to strike the ground—is classified information. When asked about weapons in space, Raymond simply said, "I'm not going to talk about that." Given the stakes, it's safe to assume that such capabilities are being discussed if not already designed.

But kinetic operations are only a small part of military deterrence. Arguably the most crucial capability, particularly in orbit, is simply knowing where everything is and what it's doing.
Old 11-10-17, 02:31 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Stephen Hawking warns: Humanity may have less than 600 years to leave Earth

Quote:
If humanity doesn't become a truly spacefaring species in the next five centuries or so, we may well go extinct, Stephen Hawking said, according to media reports.

During a video presentation Sunday (Nov. 5) at the Tencent Web Summit in Beijing, the famed cosmologist warned that the ever-rising human population, and its mounting energy needs, could render Earth uninhabitable by the year 2600, according to the British newspaper The Sun.
Read more:
http://www.foxnews.com/science/2017/...ave-earth.html
Old 11-10-17, 02:50 PM
All Yappi

I'd actually be surprised if in 2600 there aren't half as many people as today.
Old 11-10-17, 03:41 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I'd actually be surprised if in 2600 there aren't half as many people as today.
The way birthrates are going this is very possible even without the intervention of a cataclysmic event. Of course as an optimist I'm thinking the population will fall to half because of the enormous exodus to our thriving colonies scattered throughout this part of the galaxy!
Old 11-10-17, 06:11 PM
All Yappi

That may play a part but in the next 100 years the entire world will be industrialized with industrialized replacement rates. 400 years of that will result in a world of much fewer people.

Of course, that makes a lot of assumptions. If UBI is instituted and basically becomes welfare for everyone, we may create an overpopulation problem.
Old 11-12-17, 11:44 AM
All Yappi

Here's something a little different - an article on how critical the location of the asteroid strike was in order to wipe out the dinosaurs.

https://www.livescience.com/60898-as...dinosaurs.html

The scientists now find the asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs happened to hit an unlucky spot — had it landed in about 87 percent of anywhere else on Earth, the mass extinction might not have occurred.

"The probability of the mass extinction occurring was only 13 percent," said study lead author Kunio Kaiho, a geochemist at Tohoku University in Sendai, Japan.

The scientists ran computer models simulating the amount of soot that asteroid impacts would have generated depending on the amount of hydrocarbons in the ground. They next estimated the climate effects caused by these different impact scenarios.
Old 11-12-17, 11:46 AM
All Yappi

And while this story is mostly hyping a new book about a future colony on the Moon it makes for interesting reading:

http://nypost.com/2017/11/11/a-baby-...a-few-decades/

“I tried to be as realistic as possible. I modeled Artemis after resort towns in the Caribbean,” Weir told The Post. “Basically there are two extremely divided groups of people: the tourists and the people who work there. In some cases [the workers] live in shantytowns outside the tourist area. That’s basically the economics of Artemis.”

The moon city’s equivalent workers are people like Jazz, who reside in small quarters in the less-desirable section of town and serve at the whim of the wealthy tourists and retirees.
Old 11-13-17, 04:39 PM
All Yappi

Now this is very interesting. A private company to send a mission to one of Saturn's moons to find life!

https://www.space.com/38741-alien-li...itiatives.html

Breakthrough Initiatives — a program founded by billionaire tech investor Yuri Milner to hunt for alien life and help explore the cosmos — is considering launching a mission that would fly through the plume of water vapor and other material emanating from Enceladus' south polar region, Milner said here yesterday (Nov. 9) at The Economist magazine's inaugural global space summit, called "A New Space Age."

NASA's Saturn-orbiting Cassini spacecraft discovered the plume, and the 100-odd geysers that create it, in 2005. Subsequent observations by the probe revealed that these geysers are blasting stuff out from a potentially habitable ocean of salty liquid water that sloshes beneath the 313-mile-wide (504 kilometers) moon's icy shell.

I've always thought we would find fossils indicating life ONCE existed on Mars but that we would find actual life among the moons of the gas giants.
Old 11-15-17, 09:16 AM
All Yappi

It appears our neighborhood is getting crowded:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/15/s...-ross-128.html

The planet was found circling a star only 11 light years from earth. The star is very stable and doesn't have the eruptions that could periodically sterilize a planet of life. The planet is earth size and solidly located in the living zone. It's an exclusive neighborhood as it's the only planet in the system.

Bottom line is that even if the light speed barrier can never be broken this planet is within reach using sub light propulsion.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: