Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Elder Panthers

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-14-17, 02:22 PM
All American

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Very good point, Pboy. I had completely forgotten about that whole incident. They will start caring eventually. As older generations continue to die out, older Catholics who follow along the Archdiocese and Church no matter what they say or do, I think public opinion will play a bigger and bigger role for the Archdiocese. They will lose people, donations will drop, etc. etc. But then again maybe not, the Archdiocese has time and time again shown, as you said, they don't live in the real world.
Old 11-14-17, 02:49 PM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
So, I am being told what a "Christian" response should be. V&R claims to be a "Christian". He comes to Price Hill 4-5 times a year in order to enjoy one of the main activities held in the neighborhood and then he criticizes and insults the neighborhood that hosts that activity. Real nice. On top of that he says:

"I was afraid my car wasn't going to be there when I got back."

Give me a break. What do you drive a 1968 Nova and are afraid that you will come back to find that someone had popped your door lock with a coat hanger and is under your dashboard with two wires in his hand to hotwire your car? What hysterics? Typical suburban paranoia. If you want your car to be there when you get back, do what CPD tells us all the time, "don't leave your keys in the car and lock your car doors". Almost all of the cars stolen in the City are found parked with the keys in the ignition, and are usually running at the time they are stolen.

Keep in mind that there is a member of the Elder Community (Alumni or current students) living on nearly every street in Price Hill. There are a few exceptions on short streets like Ross and others. You, V&R, and others like you are insulting the homes and communities of people you profess to care about. How, rude, how unchristian and, often, how misinformed.

Please don't say I "have blinders on". I read the crime reports and talk to our neighborhood officer every month. I know what the deal is and what needs to be worked on and good people are actively doing just that.

I don't come into the neighborhood in which you choose to reside and insult and criticize it. That would be unchristian of me. Please do not do it to the hundreds of members of the Elder Community that choose to live in Price Hill.

Last edited by Purplemojo; 11-14-17 at 03:09 PM.
Old 11-14-17, 03:17 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent and Regina View Post
Last year for the X game, I got the game a little late and had to park on Harris. I was afraid my car wasn't going to be there when I got back. I park on Suire and that street is in great shape. Price Hill has good parts and bad parts. But the folks who send their Sons and Daughters to Elder and Seton have to send their kids through the bad parts.
One other thing V&R, what did you see on Harris that made you "afraid my [your] car wasn't going to be there"? Because you saw a gutter askew? Because you saw some paint peeling? Maybe you saw a lawn that wasn't mowed to your satisfaction? That doesn't seem right. Because you saw peeling paint you thought that somehow meant that someone was lurking in the bushes ready to hotwire your car? Maybe you saw someone, or a group of people, who did not look like you. Maybe that is what caused you to worry about your precious vehicle.

It must be easy to be a "Christian" in the suburbs.
Old 11-14-17, 03:38 PM
All World

Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
So, I am being told what a "Christian" response should be. V&R claims to be a "Christian". He comes to Price Hill 4-5 times a year in order to enjoy one of the main activities held in the neighborhood and then he criticizes and insults the neighborhood that hosts that activity. Real nice. On top of that he says:

Give me a break. What do you drive a 1968 Nova and are afraid that you will come back to find that someone had popped your door lock with a coat hanger and is under your dashboard with two wires in his hand to hotwire your car? What hysterics? Typical suburban paranoia. If you want your car to be there when you get back, do what CPD tells us all the time, "don't leave your keys in the car and lock your car doors". Almost all of the cars stolen in the City are found parked with the keys in the ignition, and are usually running at the time they are stolen.

Keep in mind that there is a member of the Elder Community (Alumni or current students) living on nearly every street in Price Hill. There are a few exceptions on short streets like Ross and others. You, V&R, and others like you are insulting the homes and communities of people you profess to care about. How, rude, how unchristian and, often, how misinformed.

Please don't say I "have blinders on". I read the crime reports and talk to our neighborhood officer every month. I know what the deal is and what needs to be worked on and good people are actively doing just that.

I don't come into the neighborhood in which you choose to reside and insult and criticize it. That would be unchristian of me. Please do not do it to the hundreds of members of the Elder Community that choose to live in Price Hill.
I actually agree with you here. I park on Harris every Home game and have never worried about my car getting stolen or broken into. In fact, I've had my car broken into 2x the past yr in Hyde Park. There might be some rough looking people walking around, but they're no threat.
Old 11-14-17, 03:46 PM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
You take things said about PH waaaaay too personal Mojo. It's okay to take off the purple colored glasses and call a spade a spade every once in awhile.
Old 11-14-17, 04:06 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
You take things said about PH waaaaay too personal Mojo. It's okay to take off the purple colored glasses and call a spade a spade every once in awhile.
Helping Elder is just a pleasant side-affect. I believe in our City and its neighborhoods. I believe that the Catholic Church and all of its member parts are good for society and good for general human welfare. I do what I can and it is hard enough to have a positive outcome when people are pulling with you. Its nearly impossible when people, usually the uninformed, are throwing obstacles in your way.

In some ways, I am very much a social justice warrior. Not in the snowflake/PC way, but in real justice in the way our local government works for all of the people in all of the neighborhoods and in the attitudes of people I deal with. I love people. I work with the under-served professionally and in my volunteer work. It is, I assure you, not all focused in Price Hill.

Now that I have explained and defended myself, I am sure I will be criticized for just doing that by some of those fake "Christians" who enjoy holding out the perceived superiority of their neighborhoods and their choices.

Last edited by Purplemojo; 11-14-17 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11-14-17, 04:10 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
I agree, but people who think they're in real danger in the area right around Elder are being silly.
Old 11-14-17, 04:23 PM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
I agree, but people who think they're in real danger in the area right around Elder are being silly.
I agree, it's completely overblown by outsiders. But let's not act like it's a good neighborhood either.
Old 11-14-17, 06:04 PM
All Region

ELDERfbfan is on a distinguished road
If it is true that the archdiocese is taking money from Elder/X and giving it to LaSalle, is it to prepare for the eventual closure of Elder? Propping up a smaller school in a "safer" neighborhood with the migration of families further west and north of the traditional westside and away from Elder? They closed Mercy and combined it with McCauley could this be the long term plan for a merger of Elder/LS or LS/St.X?

If that is not the case/plan, then why would an organization try and salvage a school (LaSalle) that is in such financial ruin with decreasing enrollment (similar to Mercy) knowing full well that they will not be able to pay back Elder? It makes you wonder, if the rumor is true. I know pboy said he got an answer from the office manager, who I am sure is privy to all the workings/dealings that goes on at the archdiocese, that it is not true but it still makes you skeptical of the situation....
Old 11-14-17, 07:19 PM
All American

I may be wrong, but it was my understanding the Archdiocese wasn't the driving force behind the Mercy McCauley merger. I was under the impression that was the Sisters of Mercy, HQ'd in North Carolina.
Old 11-14-17, 07:28 PM
All Region

ELDERfbfan is on a distinguished road
Yea I think you're right about that, just thought they were part of the archdiocese.
Old 11-14-17, 07:33 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDERfbfan View Post
If it is true that the archdiocese is taking money from Elder/X and giving it to LaSalle, is it to prepare for the eventual closure of Elder? Propping up a smaller school in a "safer" neighborhood with the migration of families further west and north of the traditional westside and away from Elder? They closed Mercy and combined it with McCauley could this be the long term plan for a merger of Elder/LS or LS/St.X?

If that is not the case/plan, then why would an organization try and salvage a school (LaSalle) that is in such financial ruin with decreasing enrollment (similar to Mercy) knowing full well that they will not be able to pay back Elder? It makes you wonder, if the rumor is true. I know pboy said he got an answer from the office manager, who I am sure is privy to all the workings/dealings that goes on at the archdiocese, that it is not true but it still makes you skeptical of the situation....
I think you're reading far too much into the situation, which might not even be true. Elder won't let themselves be bled dry to the point of insolvency.
Old 11-14-17, 08:38 PM
All American

Vincent and Regina is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Nice. Well, consider this. He has the perception that Elder is "unsafe" while entertaining the possibility of sending his kids to Campbell Co which he perceives as "safe". He could send his kids to Elder where they will never attend school with a single adjudicated felon, or even a serious misdemeanor or Campbell County were they would be attending class with at least a dozen of them.

Perhaps I was too harsh on V&R, but the facts are that the areas around Elder and Seton are safe and getting safer, but I guess I would not expect anyone who lives in Ft. Thomas to know that. V&R apparently loves Elder so much that he moved across the river and will be sending his kids to a public school over there rather than Elder. OK?
Wow didn't know I moved. I have never lived in Ft Thomas. You paint with broad brush. Assuming I live in Ft Thomas because I live in Campbell County is like assuming you live in Deer Park because you live in Hamilton County. I like to hunt from my back deck, and Ft Thomas doesn't provide me that opportunity.
Old 11-14-17, 08:46 PM
All World

Quote:
Wow didn't know I moved. I have never lived in Ft Thomas. You paint with broad brush. Assuming I live in Ft Thomas because I live in Campbell County is like assuming you live in Deer Park because you live in Hamilton County. I like to hunt from my back deck, and Ft Thomas doesn't provide me that opportunity.
Nobody cares. And as usual, the point goes way over your head. Maybe you should start going to Camel games, no use for half hearted alumni
Old 11-14-17, 08:58 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDERfbfan View Post

I am guessing Elder pools their endowment with others to get a better interest rate. I am betting LaSalle borrows from this instead of invest in it.
Old 11-14-17, 09:02 PM
All American

Quote:

I lived in Cincinnati and I would read the crime stats too. I can tell you Price Hill has more crime than other neighborhoods on the westside.

I can tell you people who take care of their property value it more than people who don't. The people who live on Suire value their property, I can't say the same for the ones who live on Harris. I am going to tell you have blinders on because you do. When things change slowly you don't notice them. Since I come and go Price Hills I notice the little changes because they have become big.
Old 11-14-17, 09:13 PM
All World

Quote:
I lived in Cincinnati and I would read the crime stats too. I can tell you Price Hill has more crime than other neighborhoods on the westside.

I can tell you people who take care of their property value it more than people who don't. The people who live on Suire value their property, I can't say the same for the ones who live on Harris. I am going to tell you have blinders on because you do. When things change slowly you don't notice them. Since I come and go Price Hills I notice the little changes because they have become big.
I come and go as much as you, it's the same. Anyway, enjoy those thrilling Campbell County v Dixie Heights games.
Old 11-14-17, 09:32 PM
Junior Varsity

Cincinnati_Kid is on a distinguished road
As a recent graduate, I can tell you that none of my friends or I ever felt unsafe walking to and from football games. The only people who think you're going to get robbed or worse by making a trip into Price Hill are the same people who wanted to level OTR 10-15 years ago. That, and eastsiders who gets their kicks on mocking the westside. Price Hill is an old neighborhood that has seen a decline, but as long as Elder and Seton are around, the immediate area will not become so unsafe that I would tell my future kid that he's not attending Elder.

If anything, I would tell him he's not attending because of the cost, as others have mentioned. By the time I would have a kid that is high school age, tuition will probably be close to $15,000. At that price, Three Rivers or Oak Hills are looking pretty enticing, plus they are only about 5 minutes away. There's a lot of things I could do with my family for $15,000, or $11,000 in today's dollars for that matter.
Old 11-14-17, 09:39 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
As a recent graduate, I can tell you that none of my friends or I ever felt unsafe walking to and from football games. The only people who think you're going to get robbed or worse by making a trip into Price Hill are the same people who wanted to level OTR 10-15 years ago. That, and eastsiders who gets their kicks on mocking the westside. Price Hill is an old neighborhood that has seen a decline, but as long as Elder and Seton are around, the immediate area will not become so unsafe that I would tell my future kid that he's not attending Elder.

If anything, I would tell him he's not attending because of the cost, as others have mentioned. By the time I would have a kid that is high school age, tuition will probably be close to $15,000. At that price, Three Rivers or Oak Hills are looking pretty enticing, plus they are only about 5 minutes away. There's a lot of things I could do with my family for $15,000, or $11,000 in today's dollars for that matter.
Elder's too dangerous, but these same parents would let their kid go to UC and walk around Clifton in the middle of the night.
Old 11-14-17, 09:49 PM
All American

Quote:
I come and go as much as you, it's the same. Anyway, enjoy those thrilling Campbell County v Dixie Heights games.
I am going to say that you couldn't pass a background check. You have a weird obsession with where other people are going to send their kids to school. This thread was started to try and get Elder enrollment up, and you are trying to get my kids not to go there.

Please stay away from sharp objects, I don't think you can handle them safely.
Old 11-14-17, 11:54 PM
All World

Quote:
I am going to say that you couldn't pass a background check. You have a weird obsession with where other people are going to send their kids to school. This thread was started to try and get Elder enrollment up, and you are trying to get my kids not to go there.

Please stay away from sharp objects, I don't think you can handle them safely.
You brag about going to all the football games, but when it comes down to it, you don't have what it takes to make the most important decision. You're a bad alumni.
Old 11-15-17, 07:55 AM
All American

Quote:
Elder's too dangerous, but these same parents would let their kid go to UC and walk around Clifton in the middle of the night.
1) The number of police that patrol Clifton and Price Hill are drastically different. Even though they aren't technically allowed to patrol off campus anymore, Clifton also has UC Police rolling around the area.
2) Parents have significantly less say. 18 year old HS graduate John Doe doesn't need mom and dad's permission to attend, live and walk around UC. They have ultimate authority over 14 year old Visitation graduate John Doe.
Old 11-15-17, 08:11 AM
All Yappi

EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
1) The number of police that patrol Clifton and Price Hill are drastically different. Even though they aren't technically allowed to patrol off campus anymore, Clifton also has UC Police rolling around the area.
Furthermore, the reason the UCPD was patrolling off campus pre-Sam Dubose is because Santa Ono was concerned about parents not wanting their kids to attend UC because the areas near campus where many students live weren't perceived to be safe.
Old 11-15-17, 09:08 AM
All World

Quote:
1)

2) Parents have significantly less say. 18 year old HS graduate John Doe doesn't need mom and dad's permission to attend, live and walk around UC. They have ultimate authority over 14 year old Visitation graduate John Doe.
Should depend on if they're paying the tuition or not:
Old 11-15-17, 10:11 AM
All American

trey2k is an unknown quantity at this point
When tuition is this high, it's very normal for people to think about alternatives to education. People aren't "bad alumni" if they see a $12k price tag, and look for cheaper options that may be just as good from an educational perspective.

ALOT can be done with $50-60k...and if you have multiple kids, it's probably adding another decade to your working career. It's gotten to the point where people are FORCED to look at other options, even if they WANT to go to Elder.
Old 11-15-17, 10:19 AM
All American

Quote:
Should depend on if they're paying the tuition or not:
But you don't know if they are or aren't.
Old 11-15-17, 10:35 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey2k View Post
When tuition is this high, it's very normal for people to think about alternatives to education. People aren't "bad alumni" if they see a $12k price tag, and look for cheaper options that may be just as good from an educational perspective.

ALOT can be done with $50-60k...and if you have multiple kids, it's probably adding another decade to your working career. It's gotten to the point where people are FORCED to look at other options, even if they WANT to go to Elder.
Trey, I agree. Even if you assume most kids only pay $9,000 because of scholarships that's $36,000 over 4 years. Investing that over the course of 4 years, even using conservative numbers, you're missing out on another few thousand in returns.
Old 11-15-17, 11:14 AM
All World

Quote:
Trey, I agree. Even if you assume most kids only pay $9,000 because of scholarships that's $36,000 over 4 years. Investing that over the course of 4 years, even using conservative numbers, you're missing out on another few thousand in returns.
If it's about the $, I get it. I can't fault someone in that regard. However, if you're willing to pony up any $ for tuition at another school, you're a worthless piece of trash. If you're sending your kid to X, Summit, Cov Cath, Moe, Brossart, whatever, you're garbage IMO.
Old 11-15-17, 12:26 PM
All District

Buck_98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
How can you get a write off for a donation to an entity that's tax exempt?
Old 11-15-17, 04:34 PM
All American

Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If it's about the $, I get it. I can't fault someone in that regard. However, if you're willing to pony up any $ for tuition at another school, you're a worthless piece of trash. If you're sending your kid to X, Summit, Cov Cath, Moe, Brossart, whatever, you're garbage IMO.
What if those schools are better fits for their child? Are you this passionate about XU alums sending their kids to XU?