Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Professional Football (NFL)

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-13-17, 04:10 PM
All American

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
It's comical.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-17, 09:22 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
But don't you think that's just a part of our culture today? Anyone successful, powerful and rich has to be evil, right? I bet Cowboy fans don't like how he's handled discipline because of Elliott, but is there really any other matters that is out of control? I mean, somebody has to be the bad guy and dole out the punishment. On one hand we want the game to be safer, but we don't want our favorite teams players to get suspended.
As for the draft, who else would announce the draftees? Doesn't the commissioner make sense?
I don't see any other commissioner getting the widespread animosity. Bettman, Silver and Manford seem pretty well liked. Also, rich and powerful doesn't cause it. Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, Mark Cuban and the like aren't hated and are plenty powerful and rich. Goodell's not liked because he comes across as an arrogant puke with bad decision making skills, not because he's rich and powerful.
Old 11-13-17, 10:50 PM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
I don't see any other commissioner getting the widespread animosity. Bettman, Silver and Manford seem pretty well liked. Also, rich and powerful doesn't cause it. Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, Mark Cuban and the like aren't hated and are plenty powerful and rich. Goodell's not liked because he comes across as an arrogant puke with bad decision making skills, not because he's rich and powerful.
NO

Old 11-14-17, 01:59 AM
All Region

domi is on a distinguished road
Bettman does the bidding of the Board of Governors so they keep him on but he's probably more hated by NHL fans than Goodell is by NFL fans.
Old 11-14-17, 08:29 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post
NO

I'll concede I don't know $h!+ about hockey or Gary Bettman.
Old 11-14-17, 01:41 PM
All American

14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
That's because Goddell is the NFL commishoner, the most popular of the pro sports by a mile. Adam Silver does nothing but lip service to the NBA. There is no "control" of that league. Which is why it trails football. David Stern did the heavy lifting for years, and was not widely liked. Silver is a yes man for the stars. It holds basketball back. It's embarassing that head coach Gregg Popavich when on a personal crusade against the president of this country, and not only did the league not do anything, neither did San Antonio administration. Pop lost all my respect with that rant. Stay in your lane.
Old 11-14-17, 02:08 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
That's because Goddell is the NFL commishoner, the most popular of the pro sports by a mile. Adam Silver does nothing but lip service to the NBA. There is no "control" of that league. Which is why it trails football. David Stern did the heavy lifting for years, and was not widely liked. Silver is a yes man for the stars. It holds basketball back. It's embarassing that head coach Gregg Popavich when on a personal crusade against the president of this country, and not only did the league not do anything, neither did San Antonio administration. Pop lost all my respect with that rant. Stay in your lane.
Yep, that's it- just because he's rich and powerful. It has nothing to do with: the CTE stuff he played a role in trying to cover up; his "defend the shield" stance on everything; his inconsistent player discipline; his ridiculous handling of the labor dispute with the officials; the Ray Rice/bountygate/denflategate fiascos...
Old 11-14-17, 03:33 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Did you miss my post or you just gonna ignore it?
Old 11-14-17, 05:31 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Did you miss my post or you just gonna ignore it?
Hope you're not holding your breath Sig.
Old 11-14-17, 05:46 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
You can’t keep your politics separate from your emotions and reason. Pretty weak.
Old 11-14-17, 07:13 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Hope you're not holding your breath Sig.
[dies]
Old 11-14-17, 07:15 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I'll concede I don't know $h!+ about hockey or Gary Bettman.
It's basically a game for fans to boo him now and Bettman handles it pretty well. Much better than Roger at the SB before he handed Kraft the Lombardi trophy. Best NFL moment in the last ten years
Old 11-15-17, 12:40 AM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
On a lighter note I just came across this guys youtube summary of the Panthers/Dolphins & Broncos/Patriots game. It's very funny but it's R rated for salty language:

Old 11-15-17, 04:00 PM
All American

Quote:
Yep, that's it- just because he's rich and powerful. It has nothing to do with: the CTE stuff he played a role in trying to cover up; his "defend the shield" stance on everything; his inconsistent player discipline; his ridiculous handling of the labor dispute with the officials; the Ray Rice/bountygate/denflategate fiascos...
Ha ha, the CTE stuff...do you honestly believe football players couldn't get concussions??? I mean large men running into each other with their heads?? The whole concussion thing is a money grab for former players who don't have money anymore, it's as simple as that. It's like smokers suing the tobacco industry because...what, smoking is bad for you???

Wake up. There is no such thing as a popular NFL commissioner.
Old 11-15-17, 04:01 PM
All American

Quote:
It's basically a game for fans to boo him now and Bettman handles it pretty well. Much better than Roger at the SB before he handed Kraft the Lombardi trophy. Best NFL moment in the last ten years
Bettman is the commishoner of a minor league sports industry. There is little interest in hockey from a national perspective. Seriously, apples to oranges comparison at best.
Old 11-15-17, 04:03 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
You can’t keep your politics separate from your emotions and reason. Pretty weak.
I believe the commishoner's main job is to handle the politics of each sport, and to be a voice for the owners. Other than Jerry Jones, who is a train wreck.
Old 11-15-17, 04:06 PM
All American

Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
You don't see suppressing evidence of the long term repercussions of repeated concussions as a bad thing? Obviously it's the player's decision, but shouldn't they be given all the information necessary to make an informed decision?
Old 11-15-17, 04:21 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
You don't see suppressing evidence of the long term repercussions of repeated concussions as a bad thing? Obviously it's the player's decision, but shouldn't they be given all the information necessary to make an informed decision?
Protect the shield, at all costs...
Old 11-15-17, 04:23 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Ha ha, the CTE stuff...do you honestly believe football players couldn't get concussions??? I mean large men running into each other with their heads?? The whole concussion thing is a money grab for former players who don't have money anymore, it's as simple as that. It's like smokers suing the tobacco industry because...what, smoking is bad for you???

I believe anyone can get concussions leading to brain damage and long term brain functioning issues. Your position in this conversation is concrete proof.

I agree concussions were a foreseeable injury and that there's certainly some assumption of the risk by players. That's a legal argument, not a reason for the NFL to try to cover their collective @$$e$ by denying the problem, ignoring science and covering it up.
Old 11-15-17, 05:02 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
Neo, I played football in jr. high and high school in the 70's and 80's. I know there is an inherent risk of running full speed into someone else with your helmet.
I'm really not sure what "information" needs to be distributed to football players about the risks.
I suppose race car drivers should be told that... driving 150 MPH with 20 other cars trying to win a race...you could get in an accident??
If you are a construction worker and is out in the sun 12 hours a day all summer, you may get skin cancer??
Really?? Are you serious??
Old 11-15-17, 05:03 PM
All American

Quote:
Protect the shield, at all costs...
What CEO doesn't protect their company??
Old 11-15-17, 05:19 PM
All American

Quote:
Neo, I played football in jr. high and high school in the 70's and 80's. I know there is an inherent risk of running full speed into someone else with your helmet.
I'm really not sure what "information" needs to be distributed to football players about the risks.
I suppose race car drivers should be told that... driving 150 MPH with 20 other cars trying to win a race...you could get in an accident??
If you are a construction worker and is out in the sun 12 hours a day all summer, you may get skin cancer??
If NASCAR told their drivers the risk of severe injury in a crash was exponentially lower than their own research showed, would you find that to be unethical?
Old 11-15-17, 05:49 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
CTE isn’t necessarily the result of full speed head trauma, but the accumulation of much more seemingly benign contact.
Old 11-16-17, 07:52 AM
All American

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:

Old 11-16-17, 07:57 AM
All Yappi

Haha the cte stuff. What a miserable pos human 14red actually must be.
Old 11-17-17, 10:11 AM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Wow:

https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/n...tings-decline/

As Roger Goodell, Jerry Jones, and the NFL engage in an ugly internal fight over the future leadership of the NFL, TV partners at CBS, ESPN, Fox and NBC are staring at their own internal conflicts — namely a substantial decline in NFL ratings that is on pace to cost the four networks up to $500 million in lost revenue.

Already several hundred million in lost revenue has been booked in 2017 and it has the league’s top executives and television partners scrambling to figure out what went wrong. How did a league that was setting ratings records in 2015 suddenly see its audience fall by nearly 20% just two years later.

So can someone please explain to me why Jerry Jones is WRONG for not wanting to extend Roger Goodell's contract? I mean what has this commissioner done to deserve an extension and a raise worth tens of millions of dollars?
Old 11-17-17, 10:18 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
Wow:

As Roger Goodell, Jerry Jones, and the NFL engage in an ugly internal fight over the future leadership of the NFL, TV partners at CBS, ESPN, Fox and NBC are staring at their own internal conflicts — namely a substantial decline in NFL ratings that is on pace to cost the four networks up to $500 million in lost revenue.

Already several hundred million in lost revenue has been booked in 2017 and it has the league’s top executives and television partners scrambling to figure out what went wrong. How did a league that was setting ratings records in 2015 suddenly see its audience fall by nearly 20% just two years later.

So can someone please explain to me why Jerry Jones is WRONG for not wanting to extend Roger Goodell's contract? I mean what has this commissioner done to deserve an extension and a raise worth tens of millions of dollars?
Goodell is a tool so I have no problem with him being replaced. I think that only because he is rich and powerful by the way.

The problem with Jerry being at the forefront is that not long ago he was singing Goodell's praises which shows Jerry as the self promoting hypocrite he really is. Tough to take a side when both are so unlikable.
Old 11-17-17, 11:28 AM
All American

WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Wow:

I've been wondering that myself. Very confused at what the rest of the owners are thinking.
Old 11-17-17, 03:36 PM
All American

The commisioner's job can essentially be summed up as "make the league look good."

Has there ever been a commissioner who has made their league look worse than Roger? His entire tenure has been moving from one scandal he blunders to another that he somehow manages to blunder even worse.

The fact the owners, a group of presumably reasonably intelligent men and successful entrepreneurs, couldn't see that the league was financially succeeding in spite of Goodell rather than because of him is astonishing.

The only amazing thing is it's taken this long for one of them to say "why are we paying this guy $50 million a year again? Could we not get someone for a fraction of that price that could manage not to embarrass our league every 3 months?"
Old 11-18-17, 08:42 AM
All Yappi

TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Wow:

He was running the show what those networks agreed to overpay for his league's product.
I'm not a Goodell fan and hope he goes, but Jone's beef with him is personal and stems from the zeke suspension. It's a power struggle.