Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-28-17, 11:04 PM
All Region

4GX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmpipeBDogs View Post
Joyce, Eichenberg, and Toppin were excellent for the Wildcats.

Fattah was fabulous for the Eagles
Don't know what to make of this-- by my view (and I was clearly wrong), Ed should have won this game handily-- this result contradicts all that I've seen YTD...

Two explanations present themselves:
1) Ig is an schizophrenic team, that is capable of extraordinary highs (X, Ed) and ridiculous lows (Moe)-- if so, like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get...
2) Conspiracy theorists are claiming that Ed (and to a lesser extent, X) were sandbagging, and-- knowing that a second same-season matchup is inevitable in only a few weeks-- they both did not show any of their cards in the Ig matchup, and held back (as perhaps Ig did too), in hopes of surprising the other side in the matchup that really counts in the playoffs-- making these first two games only a little more revealing than an NFL exhibition game...

Not sure what to make of this-- but, I like where Ig came out in these two games better than where Ed and X did-- regardless of the alleged chess match machinations.

P.S.-- A key defender for X who did not play against Ig (Bacevich-- who is similar to Eichenberg in his effect on the game) is now back, as of last night...
Old 10-28-17, 11:27 PM
All Yappi

Wildcat97
Cats beat 4 teams that otherwise went undefeated. Only "low" was a turnover laden game to Moe.

I didn't see X holding back last week. This week, does a sandbagging team onside kick with almost a quarter left?

I never thought this game would be anything but close.
Old 10-28-17, 11:35 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat97 View Post
Cats beat 4 teams that otherwise went undefeated. Only "low" was a turnover laden game to Moe.

I didn't see X holding back last week. This week, does a sandbagging team onside kick with almost a quarter left?

I never thought this game would be anything but close.
Not saying it's entirely credible-- but X threw the majority of their passes to their #4 receiver-- and threw only a modest number to their top three receivers-- including almost none to their receiver who leads in catches this season. Also, X had no success running up the middle, but had a fair amount of success (on limited attempts) on outside runs-- yet it seemed X only tried to run outside about 4-5 times-- very odd. Also, X never tried keeping a running back in to help pick up the blitzes from Eichenberg, et al-- despite the success that he was having rushing the QB. Again, it could be like the second gunman and the grassy knoll, but I'm just passing along the theory.
Old 10-28-17, 11:42 PM
All Yappi

Wildcat97
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4GX View Post
Not saying it's entirely credible-- but X threw the majority of their passes to their #4 receiver-- and threw only a modest number to their top three receivers-- including almost none to their receiver who leads in catches this season. Also, X had no success running up the middle, but had a fair amount of success (on limited attempts) on outside runs-- yet it seemed X only tried to run outside about 4-5 times-- very odd. Also, X never tried keeping a running back in to help pick up the blitzes from Eichenberg, et al-- despite the success that he was having rushing the QB. Again, it could be like the second gunman and the grassy knoll, but I'm just passing along the theory.
how often does X play well up here? My memory seems to remember that most matchups here or in Canton have gone one way (same with Moe). Ignatius/Eds seem to play better when traveling to Cin than when the reverse happens
Old 10-29-17, 12:52 AM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You don't realize that the Moeller, X, and Ed's games were all part of an elaborate conspiracy to keep Elder out of the playoffs, and it worked perfectly as Elder fans are havings fits over scheduling, the Harbins, and life in general.

Last edited by arizonawildcat; 10-29-17 at 02:13 AM.
Old 10-29-17, 05:45 AM
All World

tom 48 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Could one of the reasons be that the team that won the game did so because it was motivated to, in some small way, make up for the championship game last year? Your "conspiracy theory" does two things: it strengthens the claim of private school arrogance by implying that there is some sort of divine right that these two teams meet in the title game again; and it seeks to diminish the accomplishments of Ignatius for that game performance. Also, it pretty much says that your coach deliberately put his team in a disadvantageous situation. Conspiracy theories are fine for politics, but are not practical for high school football, especially between two friends such as Specht and Kyle.
Old 10-29-17, 07:33 AM
All District

wildcatway is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Don't know what to make of this-- by my view (and I was clearly wrong), Ed should have won this game handily-- this result contradicts all that I've seen YTD...

Two explanations present themselves:
1) Ig is an schizophrenic team, that is capable of extraordinary highs (X, Ed) and ridiculous lows (Moe)-- if so, like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get...
2) Conspiracy theorists are claiming that Ed (and to a lesser extent, X) were sandbagging, and-- knowing that a second same-season matchup is inevitable in only a few weeks-- they both did not show any of their cards in the Ig matchup, and held back (as perhaps Ig did too), in hopes of surprising the other side in the matchup that really counts in the playoffs-- making these first two games only a little more revealing than an NFL exhibition game...

Not sure what to make of this-- but, I like where Ig came out in these two games better than where Ed and X did-- regardless of the alleged chess match machinations.

P.S.-- A key defender for X who did not play against Ig (Bacevich-- who is similar to Eichenberg in his effect on the game) is now back, as of last night...

No sandbaging. Both defenses are legit, and the fact that the senior class from Eds is now 0-4 against the senior class from Ignatius should tell you all you need to know. One bad game does not reflect on how good a team can be on any other night. It is rare to go undefeated.
Old 10-29-17, 07:47 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom 48 View Post
Could one of the reasons be that the team that won the game did so because it was motivated to, in some small way, make up for the championship game last year? Your "conspiracy theory" does two things: it strengthens the claim of private school arrogance by implying that there is some sort of divine right that these two teams meet in the title game again; and it seeks to diminish the accomplishments of Ignatius for that game performance. Also, it pretty much says that your coach deliberately put his team in a disadvantageous situation. Conspiracy theories are fine for politics, but are not practical for high school football, especially between two friends such as Specht and Kyle.
To be clear-- I don't subscribe to the Conspiracy Theory-- I think Ig beat X (and Ed) fair and square.
Old 10-29-17, 07:53 AM
All District

wildcatway is on a distinguished road
The best prize of this game is the number 1 seed. A rematch with Mentor was avoided in week 2 of the playoffs. Eds and Mentor will have to battle in week 2 to earn a rematch with us, assuming of course that they win in week 1.
Old 10-29-17, 07:55 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
You don't realize that the Moeller, X, and Ed's games were all part of an elaborate conspiracy to keep Elder out of the playoffs, and it worked perfectly as Elder fans are havings fits over scheduling, the Harbins, and life in general.
Yep, ^ THIS^...
Old 10-29-17, 07:59 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat97 View Post
how often does X play well up here? My memory seems to remember that most matchups here or in Canton have gone one way (same with Moe). Ignatius/Eds seem to play better when traveling to Cin than when the reverse happens
Not sure how that could be (at least for X vs Ig), as X still leads the all-time series (which alternates between Cincy and Parma)-- even with an 0-2 record in title games in Canton. There have not been more games in Cincy.

Last edited by 4GX; 10-29-17 at 08:17 AM.
Old 10-29-17, 08:07 AM
All District

catmancando
Really nice win for the Wildcats. Two teams separated by the Eagles’ fumbled punt, I think Ignatius’ coaching deserves a lot of credit, specifically for the screen pass that was called on the Cats’ late TD possession.

Clearly this was a game dominated by defense, and my impression was that the Eagle O was slightly more likely to bust a big play and the Ignatius D was slightly more likely to concede one, so I wasn’t optimistic when it was 10-10. Hence why I think that play call (I believe on 3rd and long in their own zone) was so pivotal.
Old 10-29-17, 08:31 AM
All District

catmancando
For what it’s worth:
http://highschoolsports.cleveland.co...47-yard-drive/

“Nobody was holding back anything,” St. Ignatius coach Chuck Kyle said.
Old 11-04-17, 06:15 PM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat is on a distinguished road
BTW, congrats to the soccer Cats for making it to the final four for the umpteenth time in a row, beating University School today 1-0 in double OT.
Old 11-12-17, 09:54 PM
All Ohio

Wildcats1886
Looks like Ignatius is digitizing old game films and making them available for order.

http://www.ignatiuswildcats.com/films

I've always thought they should just post all the annual highlight tapes and full state championship films on youtube. It's always great to scratch a little bit of that nostalgia itch.

Here is the 1992 game if folks haven't seen it:

Old 11-12-17, 10:36 PM
All Yappi

Wildcat97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcats1886 View Post
Looks like Ignatius is digitizing old game films and making them available for order.

I've always thought they should just post all the annual highlight tapes and full state championship films on youtube. It's always great to scratch a little bit of that nostalgia itch.

Here is the 1992 game if folks haven't seen it:

was there with my Dad......great memories of a time and man gone by
Old 11-12-17, 10:56 PM
All Ohio

IgnatianAMDG is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Agreed. No idea why they don't put all of their games on a dedicated youtube channel. Not only does it preserve the school's history, it acts as free advertising.
Old 11-12-17, 11:00 PM
All World

eaglepride is on a distinguished road
Nice. Thanks for posting. That was my freshman year and recognize so many names.
Old 11-13-17, 11:27 AM
Junior Varsity

NEOhioFootball is on a distinguished road
Will Ignatius be the home team against Mentor in Bedford? I assume they will, but I never understood why in 2016 Ignatius was the home team against St. Edward in the Regional finals even though St. Eds ended up 2nd in the region and Ignatius was fourth in the region in the final computer standings that year.
Old 11-13-17, 12:30 PM
All Ohio

Wildcats1886
Yes, Ignatius will be the home team.

In 2016, Ignatius took over the top part of the bracket because they beat #1 seeded Solon the week before.
Old 11-13-17, 01:03 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Yes, Ignatius will be the home team.

In 2016, Ignatius took over the top part of the bracket because they beat #1 seeded Solon the week before.
That explains it. Thanks.
Old 11-13-17, 01:42 PM
All Ohio

Wildcats1886
Looks like Detroit Catholic Central and GlenOak are off the schedule for next year:

http://www.ignatiuswildcats.com/news...le/show/855790
Old 11-13-17, 01:48 PM
Freshman

ESPN 990 is on a distinguished road
Kyle, Triv on-air Monday 11/13

www.espn990.com

Coach Kyle 2:05pm
Coach Triv 2:25 pm
Old 11-13-17, 08:57 PM
All District

catmancando
Quote:
Looks like Detroit Catholic Central and GlenOak are off the schedule for next year:

http://www.ignatiuswildcats.com/news...le/show/855790
A bummer on both fronts, though that’s a good eight-game schedule as it is (though, if they can’t replace those two with viable, quality, two-year opponents, next year could be rough if they also have to replace Hoban and Euclid). In my ideal scenario, they’d be replaced by Warren Harding and Massillon. Or Whitney and Boardman. Here’s to Rory working some magic!
Old 11-14-17, 12:43 PM
All American

Cleveland, TN
Could anyone list the starters and main rotation players on offense and defense for the 'cats?
Old 11-14-17, 05:05 PM
All American

bluengold
Offense depth chart

QB Alexander – Hall
RB Floyd (jr) – Welcsh (soph); (Bobinski injured)

OT Kinnard
G Pen
C Meguerditchian
G Jamieson
T Corte
OL Abbott (jr)
OL Everett (jr)

TE Wells (jr) – Daugstrup (soph) – Cannon (jr)
WR C. Kennedy
WR Snyder
WR Drummond (jr)
WR Pike
WR Drobnick (injured)

Defense depth chart

DL McMahan (jr)
DL Gill
DL Andrich
DL Wells (jr)
DL Kinnard
DL Burns
DL Engel

LB Eichenberg (jr)
LB Keirn
LB Joyce
LB Grosel

DB Toppin
DB Elad (jr)
DB Cmiel (soph)
DB Sands
DB Scelza (jr)
DB Viancourt
DB Velotta (jr)
DB Wetula (jr)

PK/P Trickett
Holder Szubski

Heights – weights are listed on the roster in the Ignatius athletics website.

Lots of depth as all of these have playing time in meaningful game situations
Old 11-14-17, 05:53 PM
All Region

Wildcatwarrior is on a distinguished road
Just to add two guys that work their butts off and would likely start for many teams that did not have Trickett on the roster.
K Alessandro
P Otter

Last edited by Wildcatwarrior; 11-14-17 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Sp.
Old 11-14-17, 06:00 PM
Junior Varsity

Scott Springer (HS football reporter for cincinnati.com) said without qualification that Colerain v. St. X is the D1 state championship game. https://www.cincinnati.com/videos/sp...-14/107676908/

No doubt this will be a tremendous game between between two loaded, powerhouse teams and the winner may well be the favorite to hoist the trophy in Canton. And of course St. Xavier is the defending state champs having overcome a mid-season loss to Ignatius to win the championship in double OT last year. However, in addition to ignoring five DI teams who are still alive (Mentor, Olentangy Liberty, Whitmer, Pick Central, and Pick North), Springer's claim ignores a certain team from the north that beat St. X by 14 just a few weeks ago.

Of course I know it was an away game and St. X was dealing with injuries in that loss, but to say the Colerain/St. X game is definitively the state championship is a bit short-sighted.

The point being is that there is going to be some great football over the next few weeks, even outside of Hamilton County.

(BTW I am a big fan of Springer, he does a great job covering football and all HS sports.)