Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-05-17, 06:54 PM
All World

AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSL View Post
are there any checks-and-balances in the system to not advance crews for poor performance?
It's rare, but there have been tournament games taken from officials in the past.
Old 11-05-17, 08:00 PM
Junior Varsity

MSL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
Believe it or not......

We strive to get better.
I donít think I disputed that at all. But when itís predetermined which crews are going the furthest, it reeks of politics and good olí boys.

And I know the ďthe officials who complain about politics are the ones who think they are better than they really areĒ argument. But itís naive for one to think politics are nonexistent when your performance, except in rare cases, doesnít determine how far you go, as you noted.

Quote:
It's rare, but there have been tournament games taken from officials in the past.
Old 11-05-17, 08:01 PM
All Ohio

Michael Hirn is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure what the deal is but the last month and a half I have seen a ton of kids go in motion and start forward before the ball is snapped.....is this not a false start anymore?
Old 11-05-17, 08:05 PM
All Region

bb9
Quote:
I donít think I disputed that at all. But when itís predetermined which crews are going the furthest, it reeks of politics and good olí boys.

And I know the ďthe officials who complain about politics are the ones who think they are better than they really areĒ argument. But itís naive for one to think politics are nonexistent when your performance, except in rare cases, doesnít determine how far you go, as you noted.
I like to believe advancement in the playoffs is based on a whole body of work rather than how we do in one week. The job of the observers in the playoffs is to assist the crews in getting better for their remaining games and future seasons rather than to grade them on whether they should move on.

And to be honest, there are some observers that I would not want to have making decisions on whether I get playoff games or not.
Old 11-05-17, 08:41 PM
All World

Quote:
It's predetermined due to the rating/voting system that's in place.

Quote:
You will never hear me say or see me type anything to the contrary regarding politics existing. We're no different than your place of business, the government, church.....etc.....

And I do think it is a crutch for an official to cite the good ol boy network as the reason why they don't get assigned games.
Old 11-05-17, 08:42 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hirn View Post
I'm not sure what the deal is but the last month and a half I have seen a ton of kids go in motion and start forward before the ball is snapped.....is this not a false start anymore?
What you describe is illegal motion, not a false start.

That said, the wing officials apparently disagreed with your judgment.
Old 11-05-17, 08:44 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb9 View Post
And to be honest, there are some observers that I would not want to have making decisions on whether I get playoff games or not.
Bingo !!
Old 11-09-17, 08:29 AM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
sidelining warning and eventual penalty question

are these flags ever thrown during the play or just for between play/dead ball situations?

thanks
Old 11-09-17, 09:27 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
sidelining warning and eventual penalty question

are these flags ever thrown during the play or just for between play/dead ball situations?

thanks
It can be either.

After the ball becomes live, nobody is allowed in the restricted area. (25 yd line to 25 yd line.... 2 yards deep)
Old 11-09-17, 11:07 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
It can be either.

After the ball becomes live, nobody is allowed in the restricted area. (25 yd line to 25 yd line.... 2 yards deep)
Thanks

I haven't noticed it being called 'live' til the last couple years

Honestly though, if it's a snap from the 1 or 2 yard line with a team trying to score, doesn't the crew have more important things to worry about?

Both times I've seen it called 'live' it's been when a snap took place inside the 5.
Old 11-09-17, 11:36 AM
All District

zebrastripes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Honestly though, if it's a snap from the 1 or 2 yard line with a team trying to score, doesn't the crew have more important things to worry about?
The powers-that-be, including the football DOD, are adamant that the restricted area is to be enforced and make very clear that if you want to work the postseason, it's not an option.
Old 11-09-17, 11:37 AM
All World

Quote:

On the surface, I do not disagree with you. However, sometimes, the flag is absolutely warranted in this situation.

Quote:
Both times I've seen it called 'live' it's been when a snap took place inside the 5.
We don't know all the details..... prior warnings, what was said, etc.... (see above)
Old 11-09-17, 04:29 PM
All District

See Item #6

http://www.ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Offic...tin-Week12.pdf

Last edited by AllSports12; 11-09-17 at 07:38 PM.
Old 11-10-17, 11:37 PM
All Region

USA70PP is on a distinguished road
Something I've not seen before tonight.
Team kicks off. A little dink up in the air. Kicking team catches the ball , but it is a yard short of the 50. A 15 yard penalty was then walked off against the kicking team. The only word the people in the stands got was that it was interference with catching a kick.
Clarification from someone maybe?
Old 11-11-17, 12:03 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA70PP View Post
Something I've not seen before tonight.
Team kicks off. A little dink up in the air. Kicking team catches the ball , but it is a yard short of the 50. A 15 yard penalty was then walked off against the kicking team. The only word the people in the stands got was that it was interference with catching a kick.
Clarification from someone maybe?
It is kick catch interference if any member of the kicking team catches a free kick that has yet to touch the ground. (Even if no receiver is near the ball)

The crew was correct in assessing a 15 yard penalty against the kicking team
Old 11-11-17, 12:17 AM
All District

Quote:
It is kick catch interference if any member of the kicking team catches a free kick that has yet to touch the ground. (Even if no receiver is near the ball)

The crew was correct in assessing a 15 yard penalty against the kicking team
And yes, the NCAA rule is different (see Alabama/Clemson onside kick from a couple years ago).

To add onto this, in HS a free kick must go 10 yards AND touch the ground (in either order) in order for the kicking team to be eligible to recover it.
Old 11-11-17, 07:28 AM
All Region

Thanks much guys.
Old 11-11-17, 08:16 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebrastripes View Post

To add onto this, in HS a free kick must go 10 yards AND touch the ground (in either order) in order for the kicking team to be eligible to recover it.
Since we're adding things, let's not forget that if a member of the receiving team touches the ball, regardless of it's location, (inside or outside of the 10 yards) that ball is free for any K player to recover......... throw in a few illegal blocks on defenseless players and everyone can see that onside or pooch kicks are a piece of cake to officiate.

There's a reason why we don't officiate from the stands or listen to TV and/or Radio announcers for our rules instruction and interpretation.

Last edited by AllSports12; 11-11-17 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-11-17, 08:29 AM
All Region

^^^
You are correct, "...officiate from the stands...", but this is a good thread for every one of those armchair officials, coaches, announcers and others to read and understand.
Old 11-11-17, 08:34 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA70PP View Post
^^^
You are correct, "...officiate from the stands...", but this is a good thread for every one of those armchair officials, coaches, announcers and others to read and understand.
And exactly why Yappi set it up...... he provided the opportunity and I, along with some of my colleagues just try to provide a little education.
Old 11-14-17, 12:44 PM
All Region

Bugsy8875 is on a distinguished road
Coming with a question related to another thread.

The cut block is legal in HS football. Would we ever see the day when they allow it in space like college and pro? Or maybe not because of the skill level to execute that block in space is a little higher?
Old 11-14-17, 03:12 PM
All Region

bb9
Doubtful, with the emphasis on player safety
Old 11-14-17, 05:20 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy8875 View Post
Coming with a question related to another thread.

The cut block is legal in HS football. Would we ever see the day when they allow it in space like college and pro? Or maybe not because of the skill level to execute that block in space is a little higher?
It's currently illegal outside the Free Blocking Zone and will stay that way.

I would not be surprised if the NCAA and NFL begin to limit the use of this block in the very near future.
Old 11-15-17, 08:54 AM
Freshman

OhFootbllFan is on a distinguished road
What is the rule for a player who was ejected from a game due to targeting, does he have to sit out the next game? It is my understanding that in HS, it is at the discretion of the Ref if they want to eject the player from the game on a targeting call but if they do, what is the rule for the next game? Thanks
Old 11-15-17, 09:06 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhFootbllFan View Post
What is the rule for a player who was ejected from a game due to targeting, does he have to sit out the next game? It is my understanding that in HS, it is at the discretion of the Ref if they want to eject the player from the game on a targeting call but if they do, what is the rule for the next game? Thanks
A Targeting foul does not carry an automatic ejection.

If the player is ejected, whether it bo for targeting or any other flagrant offense, then the OHSAA will hand down any penalties associated with the ejection. Currently in football, that penalty is the player is ineligible for participation for the remainder of that day as well as the next scheduled contest.
Old 11-15-17, 09:59 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
A Targeting foul does not carry an automatic ejection.

If the player is ejected, whether it bo for targeting or any other flagrant offense, then the OHSAA will hand down any penalties associated with the ejection. Currently in football, that penalty is the player is ineligible for participation for the remainder of that day as well as the next scheduled contest.
What about a coach?

What would be the consequences for a coach getting ejected?

Also, in either case, would penalties carry over to the following season?
Old 11-15-17, 01:38 PM
Freshman

GoArrowsGo is on a distinguished road
I was at the Valley View v. Clinton Massie playoff game this past Friday. After Valley View scored their second touchdown, they lined up for the extra point. The kicked was botched but the play was called dead for Valley View committing an illegal shift penalty. The official then proceeded to turn to the Valley View sideline and yell...you want to decline this penalty right. Valley view was not allowed an opportunity to retry the PAT.

My two questions are.

1. The official turned to the Valley View sideline in error correct? If Valley View committee an illegal shift on the PAT there would be no reason for the official to ask VV anything as the Clinton massie coaching staff would decide whether to accept or decline the penalty.

2. If the play was called dead, whether Clinton Massie accepted or denied the penalty. Why was Valley View not allowed to retry the PAT?
Old 11-15-17, 02:33 PM
All World

Quote:
What about a coach?

What would be the consequences for a coach getting ejected?

Also, in either case, would penalties carry over to the following season?
The penalties with regards to suspensions are the same.

While some suspensions carry over to the next year, (ejection during a final game) there are situations where the suspension will be enacted at the start of the next sport season.

That can happen for player or coaches
Old 11-15-17, 02:38 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoArrowsGo View Post
I was at the Valley View v. Clinton Massie playoff game this past Friday. After Valley View scored their second touchdown, they lined up for the extra point. The kicked was botched but the play was called dead for Valley View committing an illegal shift penalty. The official then proceeded to turn to the Valley View sideline and yell...you want to decline this penalty right. Valley view was not allowed an opportunity to retry the PAT.

My two questions are.

1. The official turned to the Valley View sideline in error correct? If Valley View committee an illegal shift on the PAT there would be no reason for the official to ask VV anything as the Clinton massie coaching staff would decide whether to accept or decline the penalty.

2. If the play was called dead, whether Clinton Massie accepted or denied the penalty. Why was Valley View not allowed to retry the PAT?
If they asked V V for their decision on a foul that you describe, they messed up.

If the foul was a dead ball foul, they would still have their try available to them
Old 11-15-17, 02:52 PM
All American

serpico is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If they asked V V for their decision on a foul that you describe, they messed up.

If the foul was a dead ball foul, they would still have their try available to them
Is an illegal shift always a dead ball foul, never a dead ball foul, or somewhere in between?