Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-13-17, 08:51 PM
All Region

sam the butcher is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkfb View Post
1. Perry - playing for appox 2 1/2 quarters against Iggy (having the lead). Plus beating two teams by a higher margin than the Tigers did. Correct me if wrong.
2. Tigers- If they beat La Salle I would flip them to first.

I think most intelligent people have either Massillon 1 and Perry 2 or the other way around. Who ya got at 3, 4 & 5?
Old 11-13-17, 09:00 PM
All Region

buckeye53 is on a distinguished road
I've got a question for some of the older folks on here. I was looking through a book on the history of high school football in Akron. In the late 30's and early 40's Buchtel and Ellet played against Canton St.Johns. Does anybody have any info on this school, and what became of it ?
Old 11-13-17, 09:06 PM
All Yappi

Maxie has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye53 View Post
I've got a question for some of the older folks on here. I was looking through a book on the history of high school football in Akron. In the late 30's and early 40's Buchtel and Ellet played against Canton St.Johns. Does anybody have any info on this school, and what became of it ?

St. John's High School was located in downtown Canton. Later, Central Catholic High School was constructed between Massillon and Canton to replace St. John's.
Old 11-13-17, 09:30 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie View Post
St. John's High School was located in downtown Canton. Later, Central Catholic High School was constructed between Massillon and Canton to replace St. John's.
Thank You.
Old 11-13-17, 10:52 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye53 View Post
Maxie gave you an accurate but abbreviated version.

St. John was a coed HS operated by St. John the Baptist parish in downtown Canton (corner of 6th and McKinley Ave. NW). The school existed from the fall of 1926-spring of 1945. The school was primarily meant to serve the parish's student population, but children from other parishes were able to attend as space allowed. The first graduating class was 1930.

Mt. Marie Academy of the Immaculate Conception had already been established as an all-girls school. It began in downtown Canton in 1905 before being relocated in 1910 to a new building that was constructed in Reedurban (Perry Twp. in the vicinity of Tuscarawas St. and Perry Dr).

In the spring of 1945, the bishop of the recently created Diocese of Youngstown, declared that a central Catholic high school be established in Stark County.

In the fall of 1945, St. John and Mt. Marie merged to become Canton Central Catholic HS. From the fall of 1945 until the fall of 1950, all girls were housed at the Mt. Marie campus. All boys were housed at the St. John campus until new additions were completed at the Mt. Marie campus. The 5-story portion of Central Catholic is the "old" Mt. Marie building while the 2-story portion, including the gym, is often referred to as the "new building."

Unfortunately, some details of St. John's past have gone unrecorded, but you are correct that football games took place between St. John and Akron city foes Buchtel and Ellet as well as suburban foes Coventry and Springfield.

Last edited by Mr. Slippery; 11-14-17 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-13-17, 11:16 PM
All World

FirestoneFan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to FirestoneFan
Perry
McKinley
Massillon

Jackson

Hoover
Glenoak

Alliance

CCC

Marlington

Louisville

also E Canton, Canton S, Lake
Old 11-14-17, 10:08 AM
All World

THESHADOW14 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post

St. John was a coed HS operated by St. John the Baptist parish in downtown Canton (corner of 6th and McKinley Ave. NW). The school existed from the fall of 1926-spring of 1945. The school was primarily meant to serve the parish's student population, but children from other parishes were able to attend as space allowed. The first graduating class was 1930.

Mt. Marie Academy of the Immaculate Conception had already been established as an all-girls school. It began in downtown Canton in 1905 before being relocated in 1910 to a new building that was constructed in Reedurban (Perry Twp. in the vicinity of Tuscarawas St. and Perry Dr).

In the spring of 1945, the bishop of the recently created Diocese of Youngstown, declared that a central Catholic high school be established in Stark County.

In the fall of 1945, St. John and Mt. Marie merged to become Canton Central Catholic HS. From the fall of 1945 until the fall of 1950, all girls were housed at the Mt. Marie campus. All boys were housed at the St. John campus until new additions were completed at the Mt. Marie campus. The 5-story portion of Central Catholic is the "old" Mt. Marie building while the 2-story portion which also includes the gym is often referred to as the "new building."

Unfortunately, some details of St. John's past have gone unrecorded, but you are correct that football games took place between St. John and Akron city foes Buchtel and Ellet as well as suburban foes Coventry and Springfield.
Missing one key fact.... the Pool is on the 5th floor!
Old 11-14-17, 10:09 AM
All American

Stark Born & Bred is on a distinguished road
Quote:

In the fall of 1945, St. John and Mt. Marie merged to become Canton Central Catholic HS. From the fall of 1945 until the fall of 1950, all girls were housed at the Mt. Marie campus. All boys were housed at the St. John campus until new additions were completed at the Mt. Marie campus. The 5-story portion of Central Catholic is the "old" Mt. Marie building while the 2-story portion which also includes the gym is often referred to as the "new building."

You are a fountain of historical knowledge about Central Catholic, Slip, an absolute fountain. Until I read your post, I never knew Mount Marie started in downtown Canton. I thought it was always at its present location. Their history is our history as those schools merged into what became and is Central Catholic so I feel I should have known that.
Old 11-14-17, 10:25 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark Born & Bred View Post
You are a fountain of historical knowledge about Central Catholic, Slip, an absolute fountain. Until I read your post, I never knew Mount Marie started in downtown Canton. I thought it was always at its present location. Their history is our history as those schools merged into what became and is Central Catholic so I feel I should have known that.
I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere, either in newspaper microfilm or among some materials on file in the alumni office. Most likely, they needed an existing building to tide them over for a few years until they could identify a location, consolidate their funds, and construct the building of their dreams. I'm fairly certain there is a cornerstone on the old building which reads "1910."
Old 11-14-17, 10:27 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by THESHADOW14 View Post
Missing one key fact.... the Pool is on the 5th floor!
Shhhh, not so loud. Now you've ruined it for everyone!

That secret is not imparted until the 1st day of freshman year. Also, one must buy an elevator pass in order to get to the 5th floor and see the pool.
Old 11-14-17, 03:11 PM
All World

Quote:
Shhhh, not so loud. Now you've ruined it for everyone!

That secret is not imparted until the 1st day of freshman year. Also, one must buy an elevator pass in order to get to the 5th floor and see the pool.
all just fun.... but seriously.... CCHS Campus and facilities are something to be real proud of and I hope that the enrollment can take a turn for the good in the near future.

and... is the Girls Gym (original other gym) STILL standing?.... always good venue for talent show but floor boards were just a little too warped for running I always thought
Old 11-14-17, 03:27 PM
All District

JJBulldog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry 67 View Post
No prob Dog. I am just stating, it wasn't Mckinley. Not a big deal. It (Central) ...not the same as Central Cath. ...was the forerunner as you mentioned. Good luck trying to post with these guys. Go Pups. Sports Ill. does the right thing now and then.
It was McKinley alright. They just didn't realize it until WW1
Old 11-15-17, 08:36 PM
All Yappi

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinbiner View Post
I don't think closed enrollment schools are at an advantage athletically. I think open enrollment schools are at an advantage because they can draw kids from anywhere in the state and it's much easier to transfer to an open school as opposed to a closed school.
Hey murphy13. What happened to the conversation you wanted to have?
Old 11-15-17, 08:55 PM
All World

Flood is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Hey murphy13. What happened to the conversation you wanted to have?
Closed enrollments "work harder" and "have better coaching."

Old 11-15-17, 09:45 PM
All World

firewatch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
Closed enrollments "work harder" and "have better coaching."

Not in Stark County
Old 11-15-17, 09:57 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewatch View Post
Not in Stark County
Maybe you missed the post that started this conversation. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy13 View Post
Let's look at the big picture here in stark county first. Keep in mind there maybe some errors in here or some overlooked championships.
Closed enrollment school districts going back the last 27yrs.
NC Hoover
Girls Softball – 1998, 1999, 2006, 2008, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
Girls Basketball - 2002
Uniontown Lake
Girls Softball – 2005
Jackson
Boys Basketball 2010,2017
Baseball 2014,2017
Plain township
Boys Baseball – 1995, 1996
Canton McKinley only draws or drew from CCSD
football 97,98
boys bball 05,06
track and field 97
girls bball 2010
girls volleyball 1991

Championships for closed enrollment since 1990=23(2 football championships)
Open Enrollment
Alliance
track and field 2005
Girls Golf 2009
Canton Local Schools no team titles
Fairless No team titles
Louisville
Boys CC 2010
Marlington
Girls softball 1996
Massillon 0 team titles
Minerva 0
Norhwest 0
East Canton
Boys CC 1998
Track and field 2017
Massillon Perry
Softball 2010
Wrestling 2014
Sandy Valley 0 team titles
Tuslaw 0
Total Championships 8

Closed enrollment 23
Open Enrollment 8

that means that of the 31 titles won by stark schools since 1990 74.2% belong to a school with closed enrollment. 100% of the football titles belong to a school with closed enrollment. 5/5 closed enrollment districts have state championships in that time frame. 7/12 open enrollment schools do not have state titles in that time frame. The numbers in stark county seem to show a strong correlation between closed enrollment districts and athletic success. I also believe that you will find these results typical across the entire state.

I will look football in the future to see if the results match my hypothesis.
Old 11-15-17, 10:12 PM
All Region

Quote:

In the fall of 1945, St. John and Mt. Marie merged to become Canton Central Catholic HS. From the fall of 1945 until the fall of 1950, all girls were housed at the Mt. Marie campus. All boys were housed at the St. John campus until new additions were completed at the Mt. Marie campus. The 5-story portion of Central Catholic is the "old" Mt. Marie building while the 2-story portion, including the gym, is often referred to as the "new building."

Thanks for the story, I love hearing the history of area schools. They played good football, as they won every game they played against Akron city schools. Looking at these old results, it's amazing how so many of these Northern Ohio schools, no longer exist.
Old 11-15-17, 10:16 PM
All Ohio

my2sense is an unknown quantity at this point
Truth is Macn-n-B has been owning this thread since he defined "transfer".

I like the one guy who said "I always root for public schools that don't recruit so I'm for New Albany" LOL
Old 11-16-17, 10:47 AM
All World

For the record... I do not like Mansfield stadium seats... cement gets real cold real fast!

Go Stark County Tigers!
Old 11-16-17, 09:49 PM
Success is Tradition!

just a fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy13 View Post
Let's look at the big picture here in stark county first. Keep in mind there maybe some errors in here or some overlooked championships.
Closed enrollment school districts going back the last 27yrs....

Closed enrollment 23
Open Enrollment 8
that means that of the 31 titles won by stark schools since 1990 74.2% belong to a school with closed enrollment. 100% of the football titles belong to a school with closed enrollment. 5/5 closed enrollment districts have state championships in that time frame. 7/12 open enrollment schools do not have state titles in that time frame. The numbers in stark county seem to show a strong correlation between closed enrollment districts and athletic success. I also believe that you will find these results typical across the entire state.

I will look football in the future to see if the results match my hypothesis.
1. I don't think closed enrollment goes back 27 years (i.e. many of those titles occurred when the concept didn't exist).

2. I don't think you'll find these results across the state given the high rate of championship among private schools that, by default, have "open enrollment".
Old 11-16-17, 10:05 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by just a fan View Post
1. I don't think closed enrollment goes back 27 years (i.e. many of those titles occurred when the concept didn't exist).

2. I don't think you'll find these results across the state given the high rate of championship among private schools that, by default, have "open enrollment".
1. Ohio's Open Enrollment began in 1989.

2. I was under the impression this conversation was merely a comparison of open enrollment as it relates to public schools. I don't see any private school championships included in the totals.

If murphy13 would return to continue the conversation it would help.
Old 11-16-17, 10:53 PM
All Ohio

He will not return because he can't form a cogent response to your facts.
Old 11-16-17, 10:59 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
He will not return because he can't form a cogent response to your facts.
Lol....this from the guy who was asked by 10 different people to name the receivers who are more deserving than Kutcher.

Is that why YOU didn't return to answer our questions?
Old 11-16-17, 11:04 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam the butcher View Post
Lol....this from the guy who was asked by 10 different people to name the receivers who are more deserving than Kutcher.
At least spell the kid's name right. It's 'Kutscher' with an 's' big brain.
Old 11-16-17, 11:07 PM
All Ohio

Triggered. Mackbiner has buried you guys on the open enrollment. I don't waste my time responding to idiots. If you don't like it, so what? Keep begging me to respond tho. It makes you look super smart.

You have been kicked off your own hometown team website for anti-Moore and anti-Massillon comments. Now you want to come on here as Mr Tiger. Go try to sell that crap somewhere else on some lesser websites.
Old 11-17-17, 01:29 AM
All District

Tigerfan65 is on a distinguished road
The anti-Massillon rhetoric is hilarious coming from 2 people who know absolutely nothing about football and as usual never have anything substantial to add to the topics.
The funny thing is I think both of you get off on thinking you piss Massillon fans off when in reality we all just sit back and laugh at your ignorance.
Old 11-17-17, 06:40 AM
All World

murphy13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I don't think closed enrollment schools are at an advantage athletically. I think open enrollment schools are at an advantage because they can draw kids from anywhere in the state and it's much easier to transfer to an open school as opposed to a closed school.
Do you have any data to back up your claim that it is easier to transfer? It seems to me that the open enrollment transfer gets hosed twice. Once in the enrollment total and again when he has to sit out half the season.

Why does this advantage not show up in title results?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-17, 07:55 AM
All District

pup pounder is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone want to comment on why Mckinleys participation numbers are so low post consolidation? If I was a pup fan this would concern me.
Old 11-17-17, 08:30 AM
All Region

Quote:
I don't waste my time responding

Translation: "i said something dumb and have no retort."
Old 11-17-17, 08:32 AM
All Region

Quote:

You have been kicked off your own hometown team website for anti-Moore and anti-Massillon comments. Now you want to come on here as Mr Tiger. Go try to sell that crap somewhere else on some lesser websites.
Not even close Skippy, as usual, you're telling untruths.