Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-29-17, 10:19 PM
All District

Cville-OMW is on a distinguished road
Good luck to OHC playoff bound teams..........Greenview, BURG & WJ

Hope they can represent OHC well.
Old 10-30-17, 08:02 AM
All Region

wls_color is on a distinguished road
I don't think that the OHC teams who made the playoffs could have possibly asked for a better draw. They all avoided the MAC and all got teams who I think they match-up well against.

I look for Mechanicsburg to be in the game with Spencerville. The Bearcats are probably a slight favorite, but we have seen the Burg destroy that conference over the last few seasons, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Indians go in to Spencerville and celebrate the W.

Greeneview should have no problems at CHCA.

West Jefferson should be the favorite at Bethel Tate. The Tigers have had a very weak schedule, they have played no one close to WJ.

I look for the OHC to go 2-1 or 3-0 this week.

Feels odd not talking about the Tigers in Week 11...but nonetheless,l best of luck to the Roughriders, Rams and Indians!
Old 10-30-17, 08:15 AM
All American

El Indio is on a distinguished road
Good luck to the playoff teams! It's a shame that WLS didn't get in. They could have made some noise in that region.

Hopefully the OHC commish will make changes to scheduling so this doesn't happen again.

Go OHC!
Old 10-30-17, 08:43 AM
All Ohio

tonka is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wls_color View Post
I don't think that the OHC teams who made the playoffs could have possibly asked for a better draw. They all avoided the MAC and all got teams who I think they match-up well against.

I look for Mechanicsburg to be in the game with Spencerville. The Bearcats are probably a slight favorite, but we have seen the Burg destroy that conference over the last few seasons, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Indians go in to Spencerville and celebrate the W.

Greeneview should have no problems at CHCA.

West Jefferson should be the favorite at Bethel Tate. The Tigers have had a very weak schedule, they have played no one close to WJ.

I look for the OHC to go 2-1 or 3-0 this week.

Feels odd not talking about the Tigers in Week 11...but nonetheless,l best of luck to the Roughriders, Rams and Indians!
I am not so sure about that. CHCA is 2-1 against Greeneview in the past 3 seasons and has had much more success in the playoffs than the Rams. I think playing at CHCA certainly doesn't help things either. The Rams will be tested versus the speed of the Eagles. If they can control the clock and limit possessions, I think they have a good chance of winning but I dont think I would say they should have no problems.
Old 10-30-17, 09:16 AM
All American

19AL63 is on a distinguished road
Being 10-0 and seated 6th says you played a very weak schedule, so in my opinion we really do not know how good Greeneview really is, but we are about to find out this Friday.
Old 10-30-17, 09:44 AM
Junior Varsity

oleballcoach45 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19AL63 View Post
Being 10-0 and seated 6th says you played a very weak schedule, so in my opinion we really do not know how good Greeneview really is, but we are about to find out this Friday.
G-View is 10-0 but played a tremendously weak schedule! The South portion of the OHC is BAD they also played the NE which is a team that could not play well enough to run two plays back to back well! Their closest game came at Burg and really Burg could have just as easily walked away with the win. WJ also did not have any games of challenge. The OHC is not a tough league... The north and the south should be drawn up again and the terrible teams like Greenon, NE, CC, C-Ville, Triad, SE, MP should all be together! it is not ok that because the league wanted three crossover games, these teams going into the Playoffs have not been able to have three non-league that would prove to be challenging and point worthy! WLS is sitting at home like the teams named above and they went 8-2! Seriously! WLS and NE and C-Ville are all on the same page... not a chance but because of the leagues amazing thought doing away three non league games to start the season and provide points instead of having FOUR teams rep the OHC there are only 3... Which is still really good but isn't right that the league prevented WLS from the post season. Rant over!
Old 10-30-17, 12:39 PM
All District

Bluehawg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleballcoach45 View Post
G-View is 10-0 but played a tremendously weak schedule! The South portion of the OHC is BAD they also played the NE which is a team that could not play well enough to run two plays back to back well! Their closest game came at Burg and really Burg could have just as easily walked away with the win. WJ also did not have any games of challenge. The OHC is not a tough league... The north and the south should be drawn up again and the terrible teams like Greenon, NE, CC, C-Ville, Triad, SE, MP should all be together! it is not ok that because the league wanted three crossover games, these teams going into the Playoffs have not been able to have three non-league that would prove to be challenging and point worthy! WLS is sitting at home like the teams named above and they went 8-2! Seriously! WLS and NE and C-Ville are all on the same page... not a chance but because of the leagues amazing thought doing away three non league games to start the season and provide points instead of having FOUR teams rep the OHC there are only 3... Which is still really good but isn't right that the league prevented WLS from the post season. Rant over!

I want to say first I agree with a lot of what you said with a few corrections. First and foremost the only people that kept West Liberty out of the playoffs was themselves. They are a good team however and it is a shame there wasn't another out of conference game to help boost their points but all of these teams knew that 8-2 would not get them into the playoffs and they lost to to both Burg and WJ. A close one to the Burg but a not so close one in a playoff clinching/saving game. Win and your in, these teams knew that. That being said the OHC should absolutely have a 3rd non league game. As for West Jeff not being tested, they beat both West Lib and the Burg which are both highly regarded teams. Not going to say anything more about that because at this point it doesn't matter. Playoffs are here!!! We will find out if there any good soon enough.
Old 10-30-17, 01:11 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleballcoach45 View Post
I agree with some of your "rant" but I disagree with splitting the conference up based on the current state of football at each school. This is small school football and things will change. When the conference was formed in 2001, Cedarville and Southeastern were the cream of the crop. For year's Greeneview was the laughing stock of the OHC. Catholic Central still holds the 3rd best overall conference record in OHC history (and it's really not close). It won't be long and the current top dogs will be down and the current "bad" teams will be back up. And such is the cycle with small school football.

As for the current 3 crossover game complaint - I agree, I don't like it. However, a win over Kenton Ridge for WLS instead of a win over Cedarville would have taken WLS to 13.29. Still not enough to make a difference this year, but a lot closer (they finished at 11.31). Here is the 8th seeds total Harbin score from the last 10 years in WLS' region:

2016: 10.600
2015: 15.423
2014: 11.824
2013: 11.950
2012: 12.300
2011: 12.800
2010: 13.400
2009: 17.050
2008: 13.200
2007: 14.050

In a more normal year (or 6 out of the last 10 seasons), 13.29 would be enough to get in. Only once was 11.31 enough to get in.

The Harbin system is designed to identify the best, most battled tested 8 teams in each region and let them battle it out for a shot at a trip to the state semifinals. After looking at how some other states do it, I truly believe that Ohio has the best system. Only in Ohio can you go 8-2 - smash 7 out of 10 opponents and not come close to making the playoffs. To get in the playoffs, you have to schedule schools that are going to win football games. You can't be satisfied beating up 5 win teams a division lower than you or 3 win teams a division higher than you.

Furthermore, just for S&G's, I wanted to see what would have happened if WLS had played and beaten an 0-10 D1 school instead of a 1-9 D7 school. Oak Hills won the contest to be my lab rat. WLS finishes at 10.90. Less points than they would have gotten beating a 1 win D7 school - that's 2nd level points. Let's say WLS beats a 1 win Middletown team (D1 again) - 11.56 points, not a lot better than scheduling Cedarville. Morale of that story, you can't schedule weak schools just because they're larger. WLS would have gotten more points beating Riverside (12.03) than a 1 win Division 1 team. Second level points > First Level Points.

It's time for the AD's to step up. The MAC gets so many teams in the playoffs because they beat 7, 8 or 9 win teams in their OOC schedules. You can't sneak into the playoffs with a mediocre schedule, unless you're in D7.
Old 10-30-17, 06:10 PM
All American

AHS2007 is on a distinguished road
I believe the Greenview vs CHCA game will be tough for Greenview to win. CHCA did play a good schedule. I saw them play Fenwick and they gave them a good game just coming up short. Fenwick finished 6-4 in D-IV and finished 9 in the region. Fenwick finished 3rd in the GCL Coed behind Alter and CJ.
Old 10-30-17, 09:51 PM
All District

Cville-OMW is on a distinguished road
OHC will be well represented as indicated above all teams got a pretty favorable draw for week 11!!! Would like to have seen WLS get in too, but that region appears to be a meat grinder including a couple of teams who know a little bit about playoff football in ML and CW
BURG will have their hands full, but their winning culture should help them at least get into week 12.

WJ appears to have possibly gotten the best possible draw with how everything fell into place, but definitely won't be looking past anyone as it is lose and go home at this point.

I think Gview has the toughest task, at least on paper for week 11, as CHCA has played a pretty tough schedule and has been battle tested over the past few years. However Gview has also played some tough playoff games and did take it to CHCA not too long ago.

As far as the league, there is no easy way to split up the league as many have pointed out small school football sees many ups and downs. WJ can attest to that as we are coming off 2 4-6 seasons!!! The key is to keep the down years at a minimum (1-2 years) if possible and NOT allow the program to accept or learn to lose. I do like reducing the crossover games to only 2 and permit teams to beef up their OOC games. As I indicated earlier there appears to be some quality teams looking for week 1 and week 2 games that would certainly boost a team points if they can win those OOC games.
Old 10-31-17, 05:20 AM
All District

skittlz is on a distinguished road
Yes CHCA will be a lot for Greenview to handle. Nothing against them but CHCA lost to a descent D4 team in the GCL and a 10-0 D4 Wyoming who could go a ways into D4 playoffs. I just don't see it but anything can happen in hs football.
Old 10-31-17, 05:41 AM
All District

Down The Road is on a distinguished road
Looking at one of the ranking systems that I feel is pretty accurate it has -
West Jeff a 14 point favorite over Bethel - Tate, I believe WJ wins by more than the 14 probably more like 28+ there has been a lot of picking at the OHC for strength of schedule you all need to look at small school football on the east side of Cincinnati (minus CCHA) West Jeff is the favorite to win R20
Greeneview a 7 point under dog to CCHA, on paper I can buy into the Rams being being the underdog. When you plug those schedules into a formula thats what it should tell you but the game is played on the field. I believe Greeneview is diverse enough and physical enough to pull out the win
the Burg a 5 point underdog to Spencerville. Spencerville's coach came over from Delphos Jefferson who the Burg played the last two years so there is some similarity with what they do, I think the Burg should compete well in this game. we will have to see if there is enough to go on the road and pull out a W or not.
Old 10-31-17, 10:21 AM
All District

skittlz is on a distinguished road
Not saying anything about the OHC being weak. I actually believe the OHC is becoming one of the stronger small school conferences. However, I do believe that CHCA had a tougher schedule than Greeneview. That's why I have them with the W in this game. You're right though its played on the field not by statistics. And I am surprised though that they are only a 7 point favorite over Greeneview.

As far as the other two games...

WJ & Burg I believe both win with pretty solid confidence.
Old 10-31-17, 03:34 PM
All American

AHS2007 is on a distinguished road
I like WJ and Mechanicsburg to move on and Greenville to lose in a close game.
Old 11-05-17, 02:17 PM
All District

roughriderpride is on a distinguished road
http://westjeffersonathletics.com/20...manship-award/

The West Jefferson team, known to some people as "ONE OF THE DIRTIEST & NO CLASS TEAMS IN HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL" looks like the riders football team for the (4th) time have received the sportsmanship award.
Congratulations to the players, coaches and program!
Old 11-05-17, 02:18 PM
All District

As for last weeks game!
Kind of expected it, the starters were in till 41-6 and then the jv's got to play pretty much the whole 2nd half of the game.
Their starters outscored our jv team 12-6.
The jv team has got a lot of playing experience this season and will help them come next season.
Congrats to Bethele Tate on a great season and they were great guests!

On to this week!
Expected Reading to win that game, they just played a better schedule!
This game should be a better match up and maybe a little closer.
I would still have wj as the favorite as the road team in Xenia.
Xenia is like 44 min from wj but takes like 55 min to drive cause you are on back roads pretty much the whole time
Old 11-05-17, 02:19 PM
All District

Yes, Xenia's field is not at the school, it's in the middle of town.
Old 11-05-17, 03:20 PM
All American

StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
Xenia is probably the worst playoff venue I've ever been to. Congrats on your sportsmanship award. Anna is now out of the playoffs so you have no MAC school to worry about.
Old 11-06-17, 05:20 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateChampion2012 View Post
Xenia is probably the worst playoff venue I've ever been to. Congrats on your sportsmanship award. Anna is now out of the playoffs so you have no MAC school to worry about.
Madison was picked by Ohio high on JJ to win region 20 with CHCA close behind!
They beat Anna "A MAC Team" last week, so why would anyone even be thinking about a MAC team?
Madison was obviously better then a "MAC" team so someone will have to worry about them and have to go through them to win the regional.
Old 11-06-17, 12:36 PM
All Region

Best of luck to the lone OHC team remaining moving forward. I like their odds this week and frankly their odds to come out of the region at this point.
Old 11-06-17, 01:12 PM
All Ohio

tonka is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Best of luck to the lone OHC team remaining moving forward. I like their odds this week and frankly their odds to come out of the region at this point.
I think they will win this week relatively easily and then lose by about 10 to CHCA next week. It's great to have West Jeff back competing for regional championships.
Old 11-06-17, 01:18 PM
All Region

Too early for a preview for next year? Haha.

OHC South

Catholic Central (3-7)
- Lose 9 seniors
- Key losses include Kelly (QB), Catanzaro (LB), DeWitt (RB), Lyons (OL/DL)

Cedarville (1-9)
- Lose 6 seniors
- Key losses include Collin Martin (OL/DL)
- Key returners include Colby Cross (QB), Hunter Neir (OL), Caleb Harding (OL), Hayden Lee (OL), Brandon Pollock (RB)

Greeneview (10-0)
- Lose 8 seniors
- Key losses include Jake Green (RB), Griffin Mangan (RB), Tyler Tackett (OL), Hunter Grim (OL), Tyler Robinette (WR),
- Key returners include Clay Payton (RB), Nick Clevinger (QB), Collin Wilson (WR)

Greenon (3-6)
- Lose 10 seniors
- Key losses include Cooper Chaffin (QB), Zach Wilson (OL), Derek Brown (RB)
- Key returners include Levi Morrison (OL/LB), Josh Johnson (OL), Ryan Stockdale (WR), Luke Downing (WR), Cade Rice (RB/QB)

Madison Plains (5-5)
- Lose 16 seniors
- Key losses include Ryan Bevington (RB), Dustin Burgoon (WR), Connor Jones (RB/WR), Chris Coil (LB)
- Key returners include Jarrett Valery (QB), Isaac Puckett (RB/WR)

Southeastern (4-6)
- Lose 5 seniors
- Key losses include Hayden Toops (WR), Tyler King (RB), Mitch Hennigan (OL/DL)
- Key returners include Hunter Davis (QB), Charlie Bertemes (WR), Max DeLong (WR), Hayden McKee (LB)
Old 11-06-17, 01:54 PM
All Region

OHC North

Fairbanks (5-5)
- Lose 8 seniors
- Key losses include Beau Sloan (RB), Chase Litzke (RB), Trevor Chippas (LB)
- Key returners include Jacob Nicol (QB), Braeden Fairchild (WR), Charlie Scheiderer (LB), Tyler Beem (WR)

Mechanicsburg (8-2)
- Lose 6 seniors
- Key losses include Dustin Knapp (RB/LB), Cannon Propst (OL/DL), Justin Hunt (TE/CB), Kameron Young (WR/DB)
- Key returners include Logan Hurst (QB), Joey Mascadir (RB/WR), Keith Beboute (WR/DB), Chad Deere (NG), Kix Thiel (OL/DL), Caden Coleman (OL/DL(, Mack DeLong (WR/LB)

Northeastern (1-9)
- Lose 13 seniors
- Key losses include Dylon Hand (RB), Tanner Stratton (TE/DE), Cody Wal (WR/LB), Michael Rice (OL/DL), Jacob Yarnell WR)
- Key returners include Mac Davis (QB), Max Queen (RB/CB), Nick Brown (RB/CB), Codey Taylor (LB)

Triad (1-9)
- Lose 5 seniors
- Key losses include Camron Athcison (WR/DE), Andy Martin (RB/LB)
- Key returners include Jordan Simonelli (QB/DB), Jacob Jenkins (RB/LB), Isaiah Burce (TE/LB), Jacob Simonelli (WR/DB), Riley Louck (OL/DL), Dylan Rice (RB/DB)

West Jefferson (10-0)
- Lose 13 seniors
- Key losses include Lance Lambert (QB/DB), Ethan Higgins (RB/LB), Caleb Vanhook (WR/DB), Justin Gately (WR/DB), Cole Howard (OL/LB)
- Key returners Gabe Jones (RB), Wyatt Dillion (RB/DB), Hunter Braithwaite (DL), Luis Carmona (OL/DL)

West Liberty-Salem (8-2)
- Lose 8 seniors
- Key losses include Levi Moell (WR/DB), Braden Miller (RB/LB), Thomas Allen (WR/DB), Tevon McNutt (OL/DL), Trevor Burden (OL/DL), Raajh Roland (OL/DL)
- Key returners include Trevor Woodruff (QB/LB), Major Startton (QB/LB), Cameron Miler (WR/DB), Eddie Kolota (RB/LB), Konner Smith (WR/LB), Thad Lawrence (OL/DL), Dominic Blair (OL/DL), Tyler Smith (WR/LB)
Old 11-06-17, 01:59 PM
All Region

Interesting going through all of that.

I believe next season that Southeastern will battle Greeneview for the south crown (Cedarville should be better).

As for the north, Mechanicsburg is the favorite based on what I can tell. West Jeff has a lot back, but so does WLS and Fairbanks. I also think Triad will be MUCH better - their line is what will determine their success next year. The North should be really, really good next year. I think the south takes a step back.
Old 11-06-17, 02:57 PM
Freshman

Grevw fan is on a distinguished road
Greeneview only has 6 seniors not 8
Old 11-06-17, 03:32 PM
All District

WJ-OSU-STEELERS is on a distinguished road
Very nice rap up/preview for 2018. It is hard to believe that the OHC South could 'take a step back'. I could see there not being at team as strong as Greeneview but it would be difficult to have as down of a year as the OHC South had this year. MP losing 16 seniors is a very large class to replace.

Hopefully the league looks to change the 3 crossover games to 2. I hope SCC and Cedarville can increase the number of kids they get out for football. You simply can not field a competitive varsity team with only 20 kids. If the OHC North is to improve, the non conference schedule for each team must get tougher.
Old 11-06-17, 03:36 PM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
Given their numbers this year I somewhat wonder if Central will even be able to field a team next year with losing that many seniors.

I think in the south Central and Plains both definitely take a step back. I think Greenon's going to start to spring forward a bit.
Old 11-13-17, 09:12 AM
Freshman

OHCStrong is on a distinguished road
Congrats to West Jefferson on advancing to the Regional Finals. It wasn't pretty, but you got the job done! Best of luck on Friday!
Old 11-14-17, 01:26 PM
All Region

Jet19 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Too early for a preview for next year? Haha.

OHC South

Catholic Central (3-7)
- Lose 9 seniors
- Key losses include Kelly (QB), Catanzaro (LB), DeWitt (RB), Lyons (OL/DL)

Cedarville (1-9)
- Lose 6 seniors
- Key losses include Collin Martin (OL/DL)
- Key returners include Colby Cross (QB), Hunter Neir (OL), Caleb Harding (OL), Hayden Lee (OL), Brandon Pollock (RB)

Greeneview (10-0)
- Lose 8 seniors
- Key losses include Jake Green (RB), Griffin Mangan (RB), Tyler Tackett (OL), Hunter Grim (OL), Tyler Robinette (WR),
- Key returners include Clay Payton (RB), Nick Clevinger (QB), Collin Wilson (WR)

Greenon (3-6)
- Lose 10 seniors
- Key losses include Cooper Chaffin (QB), Zach Wilson (OL), Derek Brown (RB)
- Key returners include Levi Morrison (OL/LB), Josh Johnson (OL), Ryan Stockdale (WR), Luke Downing (WR), Cade Rice (RB/QB)

Madison Plains (5-5)
- Lose 16 seniors
- Key losses include Ryan Bevington (RB), Dustin Burgoon (WR), Connor Jones (RB/WR), Chris Coil (LB)
- Key returners include Jarrett Valery (QB), Isaac Puckett (RB/WR)

Southeastern (4-6)
- Lose 5 seniors
- Key losses include Hayden Toops (WR), Tyler King (RB), Mitch Hennigan (OL/DL)
- Key returners include Hunter Davis (QB), Charlie Bertemes (WR), Max DeLong (WR), Hayden McKee (LB)
Thanks for this info!
Old 11-14-17, 01:39 PM
All Region

Jet19 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwwarrior09 View Post
Given their numbers this year I somewhat wonder if Central will even be able to field a team next year with losing that many seniors.

I think in the south Central and Plains both definitely take a step back. I think Greenon's going to start to spring forward a bit.
I can't remember a year where everyone didn't say this about Central. It is so hard to tell in small school football. Some people don't stick with it and life happens sometimes.