Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-29-17, 06:27 PM
All Region

buckeye53 is on a distinguished road
You guys look past Stow, like it sounds like you are, and you'll be sitting in your living room on Week 12. They wouldn't be coming to visit, if they didn't deserve to be here.
Old 10-29-17, 06:59 PM
All Yappi

MentorGrad2002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
Mentor Cardinals Football 2017

Nobody is looking past stow. And if they need motivation from message board people to get up for this then stow has lost already. Nobody commenting contributes to the on field play or the teams thoughts anyways

2 of the guys talking about mentor vs the privates are private school guys who love watching mentor lose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-17, 07:35 PM
All Region

MENTORFBALL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye53 View Post
You guys look past Stow, like it sounds like you are, and you'll be sitting in your living room on Week 12. They wouldn't be coming to visit, if they didn't deserve to be here.
Huh? Show me one quote from a Mentor poster saying we're looking past Stow.
Old 10-29-17, 09:02 PM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Stow had a very good season. Only loss was to Wadsworth, an offensive juggernaut that could make a lot of noise in DII. They have a super QB with the ability to beat a defense with his arm or legs. Mentor's defense has underperformed this year to put it nicely. They won't overlook anyone. Mentor is more likely to lose to Stow than they are to beat Ignatius/Eds.

If Mentor takes care of the ball (8 turnovers against Solon/Euclid in Weeks 8 and 9), I think they will score plenty. But will the defense do enough? I hope so.
Old 10-29-17, 09:11 PM
All Yappi

Offensively, Mentor did some damage this year to be sure.

Massillon: 49 points (most allowed all season)
St Ignatius: 31 points (2nd most allowed all season)
Glenville: 38 points (3rd most allowed all season)
Strongsville: 42 points (most allowed all season)
Brunswick: 62 points (2nd most allowed all season)
Medina: 49 points (most allowed all season)
Shaker: 45 points (most allowed all season)
Solon: 38 points (most allowed all season)
Euclid: 61 points (most allowed all season)
Elyria: 55 points (2nd most allowed all season)

The only time it wasn't the top two was Glenville (38 points). Euclid scored 39 and St Eds scored 41.
Old 10-29-17, 09:22 PM
All Yappi

Defensively, here is how Mentor compared:

Massillon: 14 points (2nd lowest score of the season)
St Ignatius: 41 points (highest score of the season)
Glenville: 15 points (2nd lowest of the season)
Strongsville: 27 points (4th lowest of the season)
Brunswick: 0 points (lowest score of the season)
Medina: 14 points (5th highest score of the season)
Shaker: 27 points (6th highest score of the season)
Solon: 34 points (highest score of the season)
Euclid: 59 points (2nd highest score of the season)
Elyria: 6 points (lowest score of the season)

Against arguably the three best teams on the schedule (St Ignatius, Euclid, and Solon) - those opponents had the highest or 2nd highest point total of the entire season against Mentor. They did have some bright spots in dominating performances against Massillon, Glenville, Brunswick, and Elyria. Take those for what they are worth. Against the good DI teams on the schedule, Mentor's defense appeared to be the path of least resistance. Don't expect anything to change in the playoffs. Stow scored 49+ in four games this year. If Mentor follows that trend against good DI teams, the Cardinals will need to score in the 50's to win this one on Friday.
Old 10-30-17, 09:52 AM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Congratulations to Mentor for winning the GCC title!!

Mentor-Stow will be a much closer, much more interesting game than Mentor's blowout win of a few years ago. Solon has played both teams. I believe Mentor will outscore Stow in a close decision - something like 41-38.

GCC!!!
Old 10-31-17, 10:27 AM
Freshman

monteboard is on a distinguished road
I don't think it will be as high scoring as anticipated. When Stow played a respectable opponent (No shade intended), they would held them to season lows or close to season lows

Mentor Lake Catholic 18 (2nd lowest)
Solon 14 (2nd lowest (First lowest was Shaker when their QB was hurt)
Wadsworth 41 (tied lowest (Not saying a whole lot, but Wadsworth is legit)
Hudson 23 (tied 2nd lowest, which Hudson scored on the last play of the game)

And obviously we know they can definitely put up points, scoring 28+ or more in all games but one. Obviously I'm going to root for my high school.
I say 28-24 Stow
Old 11-02-17, 10:46 PM
All American

CardzFan1 is on a distinguished road
McDougle could be the x-factor. He had a great season -- when given the chance to play, he produced. After not playing early in the year, he ended up with 678 yards on only 64 carries -- over 10 yards per touch. He needs to get the ball.
Old 11-03-17, 08:54 AM
All Yappi

Since 2000, Mentor has a 10-1 record in Week 11. Mostly lopsided blowouts during that time. That includes being 10-0 at home. The only blemish in the first round was at Lakewood Stadium against St Edward in 2010, the eventual state champion and one of the best teams of the 2000's. I do admit that of all of Mentor's Week 11 games, tonight's against Stow makes me nervous. This is probably the second biggest Week 11 challenge Mentor has had during this stretch.

Give McDougal 20+ carries = win. I think it will be as simple as that.
Old 11-03-17, 08:57 AM
All District

Milbarge
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post
Since 2000, Mentor has a 10-1 record in Week 11. Mostly lopsided blowouts during that time. That includes being 10-0 at home. The only blemish in the first round was at Lakewood Stadium against St Edward in 2010, the eventual state champion and one of the best teams of the 2000's. I do admit that of all of Mentor's Week 11 games, tonight's against Stow makes me nervous. This is probably the second biggest Week 11 challenge Mentor has had during this stretch.

Give McDougal 20+ carries = win. I think it will be as simple as that.
Not to take away from the fact that St. Edward was a great team in 2010 but the game was played days after the passing of Brandon Shima.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-17, 09:58 PM
All Yappi

Mentor gets a nice, comfortable win against Stow tonight: 49-17. I didn't expect a running clock at all in this game. Mentor's defense kept Stow off the scoreboard in the second half. Good for them. It was a break, but not bend type of effort. Stow got some early scores and actually led the game, 10-7. Mentor poured it on in the 2nd quarter and then kept the momentum going in the second half.

The offense looked particularly strong when it mixed in more of the running game. McDougal did not get the carries I was calling for (20+), but Edmond had a nice game. Between the two of them, I would say the RB's were averaging 7 or 8 yards a carry. Tatarunas shook off a bad early turnover and had a strong game. He made some nice throws tonight.

Mentor is now 11-1 in Week 11 games in the 2000's. None of them are really ever that close. Without looking it up, I think the closest game was in 2012 against WGH.
Old 11-04-17, 08:07 AM
All Yappi

I very rarely question what players are on the field for Mentor. Triv might get criticized for some things, but not for keeping talent on the sideline. With that said, I still have NO IDEA why McDougal isn't the feature back. He might be the second or third most talented RB at Mentor I have seen. And yet, he gets very limited touches. I would guess that 75% of his touches result in a first down or score.

So many people in the stands week after week are asking, Where is #22? Where is McDougal? If you want to hang with Eds or Ignatius, Elijah needs the ball! If he doesn't get at least 15-20 carries and the Cards loses a close one next week, it will go down as one of the biggest "What ifs?" for Mentor in recent history.
Old 11-04-17, 08:27 AM
All Ohio

falguin is on a distinguished road
C'mon Mentor! You can and should win this game.
Old 11-04-17, 01:28 PM
All American

[QUOTE=cardzfan1234;6899392]Mentor gets a nice, comfortable win against Stow tonight: 49-17. I didn't expect a running clock at all in this game. Mentor's defense kept Stow off the scoreboard in the second half. Good for them. It was a break, but not bend type of effort. Stow got some early scores and actually led the game, 10-7. Mentor poured it on in the 2nd quarter and then kept the momentum going in the second half.

The offense looked particularly strong when it mixed in more of the running game. McDougal did not get the carries I was calling for (20+), but Edmond had a nice game. Between the two of them, I would say the RB's were averaging 7 or 8 yards a carry. Tatarunas shook off a bad early turnover and had a strong game. He made some nice throws tonight.

Mentor is now 11-1 in Week 11 games in the 2000's. None of them are really ever that close. Without looking it up, I think the closest game was in 2012 against WGH.[/QUOTE
Old 11-04-17, 01:30 PM
All American

[QUOTE=CardzFan1;6900447]
Quote:
Mentor gets a nice, comfortable win against Stow tonight: 49-17. I didn't expect a running clock at all in this game. Mentor's defense kept Stow off the scoreboard in the second half. Good for them. It was a break, but not bend type of effort. Stow got some early scores and actually led the game, 10-7. Mentor poured it on in the 2nd quarter and then kept the momentum going in the second half.

Mentor is now 11-1 in Week 11 games in the 2000's. None of them are really ever that close. Without looking it up, I think the closest game was in 2012 against WGH.[/QUOTE
Old 11-11-17, 10:33 AM
All Yappi

Username and password for spectrum online is needed

If anyone could pm me theirs I'd be really grateful

I want to watch the replay! Really replays should be free. It's amateur sports for god sakes. This ohsaa tv deal sucks

Old 11-11-17, 11:02 AM
All Yappi

Great win over Eds. I didn't expect it at all especially with the defense stepping up. Really hoping they can keep it going and that it isn't a one game anomaly

Ignatius is definitely the favorite. Would be nice if mentor could peak at the right time for once like Ignatius has in winning some of their state titles

Old 11-11-17, 11:35 AM
All District

wildcatway is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentorGrad2002 View Post
Great win over Eds. I didn't expect it at all especially with the defense stepping up. Really hoping they can keep it going and that it isn't a one game anomaly

Ignatius is definitely the favorite. Would be nice if mentor could peak at the right time for once like Ignatius has in winning some of their state titles

It will be a great game. Based on what happened last night, no one is a favorite. The Cats Defense is playing the best it has all year. The Mentor Offense will test them all night though. Granted, Eds was dealing with some injuries on Offense, but if Mentor can continue to play the D they did last night, things could get very interesting.
Old 11-14-17, 11:56 AM
All Yappi

Ryan Jacoby was recently offered by Oregon. Noah Potter also added Oregon to his long list of suitors including Ohio state.

Very cool to have two juniors who are big time D1 college recruits. One on each line is very rare for a program like Mentor

Old 11-14-17, 01:10 PM
All Yappi

Great for Jacoby and Potter. By the end of this it seems they will likely get offers from most of the major programs.

Any news on where Tatarunas stands? I haven't heard anything besides some kind of offer from Robert Morris. If it ends up being his best offer, getting a full scholarship at an FCS school is nothing to bat an eye toward. That would be a great opportunity for him to play football and come out of college debt free.

I imagine the other seniors on the team with college potential will end up playing at DII or DIII schools.
Old 11-17-17, 10:08 PM
All American

Quote:
Great for Jacoby and Potter. By the end of this it seems they will likely get offers from most of the major programs.

Any news on where Tatarunas stands? I haven't heard anything besides some kind of offer from Robert Morris. If it ends up being his best offer, getting a full scholarship at an FCS school is nothing to bat an eye toward. That would be a great opportunity for him to play football and come out of college debt free.

I imagine the other seniors on the team with college potential will end up playing at DII or DIII schools.
FCS schools rarely give full rides. Still be a good opportunity with financial aid to basically go free.
Old 11-17-17, 10:10 PM
All Ohio

IgnatianAMDG is on a distinguished road
Good game Mentor fans. Will be rooting for you guys the entire way. Bring the title back to NEO!
Old 11-18-17, 12:02 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnatianAMDG View Post
Good game Mentor fans. Will be rooting for you guys the entire way. Bring the title back to NEO!
Thanks, it was another great game in this rivalry. The last times Mentor beat Eds/Ignatius in back-to-back weeks, they weren't able to finish the job. Hopefully Mentor can find a way to advance to Canton.
Old 11-18-17, 12:29 PM
All Yappi

EagleSE
Congrats to the Cards on running the Catholic school gauntlet again (three times this decade). My original thoughts after the Cards win over St. Eds was that Eds offense didn't play well. But now I'm thinking this is the best Cards defense I have seen in a long, long time. I have to go back to the 2003 team to find a Cardinal defense this tough. And this year's version might be better.

Best of luck to Mentor this next Friday !!
Old 11-18-17, 12:31 PM
All Region

DB 04 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Thanks, it was another great game in this rivalry. The last times Mentor beat Eds/Ignatius in back-to-back weeks, they weren't able to finish the job. Hopefully Mentor can find a way to advance to Canton.
Congrats to you guys! I hope you guys win the hardware this year! 2 more games!
Old 11-18-17, 12:37 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleSE View Post
Congrats to the Cards on running the Catholic school gauntlet again (three times this decade). My original thoughts after the Cards win over St. Eds was that Eds offense didn't play well. But now I'm thinking this is the best Cards defense I have seen in a long, long time. I have to go back to the 2003 team to find a Cardinal defense this tough. And this year's version might be better.

Best of luck to Mentor this next Friday !!
Easy there. Thanks for the compliment, but this defense is not nearly as good as you claim. It is much closer to being the dreaded 2012 defense than the 2003 group that completely dominated game after game. That group would have shutout the Wildcats offense I saw last night. Just my thoughts.

The first half was the "regular season" Mentor defense - St Ignatius moved the ball at will. On their first five possessions of the game, Ignatius had three TD's, one missed FG, and one interception thrown into the endzone. Hardly ever faced a 3rd and long. There was very little push back.

With that said, the defense did its job in the second half. The final drive of the game wasn't pretty as they allowed Ignatius to get in field goal range with limited time. Mentor's defense has played much better in the playoffs than they did all season. That is a huge reason they are where they are. I won't deny that. You can't overlook how the running game has helped the defense. Fewer possessions and less time out on the field gives the defense the opportunity they need to look like they have.

IMO, Mentor had better defenses in 2006 and 2011. But I will go with this "playoff defense" is possibly the 3rd best Mentor defense since 2003.

Last edited by cardzfan1234; 11-18-17 at 10:42 PM.
Old 11-18-17, 02:39 PM
All Yappi

I think you mean dreaded 2012 defense cardz. 2011 was decent.

This defense isn't the greatest but they have played great in the playoffs. I hope it continues. But 02 and 03 defenses were way better. It's not even close

Old 11-18-17, 08:21 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentorGrad2002 View Post
I think you mean dreaded 2012 defense cardz. 2011 was decent.

This defense isn't the greatest but they have played great in the playoffs. I hope it continues. But 02 and 03 defenses were way better. It's not even close

The secondary has trouble when it faces a good quarterback who throws the ball down the field. Although Laganke surprised me when he turned around to find the ball for an INT at the end of the first half.
Old 11-18-17, 10:16 PM
All American

Maple Stang is on a distinguished road
Congratulations to Mentor!!!!! Chalk one up for the PUBLICS!!!