Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who wins?
West Jefferson by 17+ 0 0%
West Jefferson by 8-16 11 21.57%
West Jefferson by 1-7 14 27.45%
Madison by 1-7 11 21.57%
Madison by 8-16 13 25.49%
Madison by 17+ 2 3.92%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-17, 04:18 PM
All District

NewOldBlood is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestJefferson View Post
well, it seems that the Mohawk faithful are pretty confident in their team. Maybe a little too confident.

I've doubted this WJ team all year, but I will not doubt this game. They will not lose this one.
I don't think the Madison faithful are too confident, only one person has picked them to win by more than a point or two. WJ is 12-0 and trust me, I'm sure you know by now yappi posters almost never represent the players and coaches. Everything I've heard about Madison from the inside is this is a group of well disciplined, focused young men. They will take WJ seriously and will not be overconfident walking into Beaver stadium.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-17, 06:58 PM
All World

cheaptilt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull-to-Trap View Post
I watched Madison for the first time last week. The junior and senior classes have been raised with winning habits and it shows on the field.

You can say you are going to stop the run but a wing-t team is going to get their yards. When Madison brings in the heavies you are not stopping it.

However, the defense is the key to this game. Madison was outclassed athletically by CHCA, a recruiting private school, but Madison's defense was awesome. The D-line is legit and pressures every down. From what I could see everybody tackles. CHCA had several opportunities to break plays open with defenders out of position and athletes in space, but Madison brought it every down with very tenacious open field pursuit and tackling.

But for a few busted, lucky big plays the score would have much more accurately depicted the beating that CHCA took in that game.
Is WJ that much better than CHCA? They better be.

I'll take Madison by two scores...
Why would you have to bring up"a recruiting private school"? I think i remember Svarda and Baumgarder playing for other schools growing up and moving there. Why can't it just be a team has talent. the truth is most schools benefit from families who choose to move so there kids have a better opportunity. With that said GO MOHAWKS I will be there to cheer you on.
Old 11-13-17, 07:16 PM
All District

NewOldBlood is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheaptilt View Post
Why would you have to bring up"a recruiting private school"? I think i remember Svarda and Baumgarder playing for other schools growing up and moving there. Why can't it just be a team has talent. the truth is most schools benefit from families who choose to move so there kids have a better opportunity. With that said GO MOHAWKS I will be there to cheer you on.
You've obviously never read any of Pull-to-Trap's other post. Let's just say he is very pro-public school. I'm pretty sure Svarda's older brother was state championship wrestler at Madison, so I'm guessing he's been there at least through Jr high.

Old 11-13-17, 07:30 PM
All Region

Pull-to-Trap is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheaptilt View Post

Because at the D V level it's a great advantage. Much more than so then at DI or DII. CHCA has a few DI recruits every year. When was the last to come from Madison?

Just saying it was a great effort for Madison to overcome that like they did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-17, 07:47 PM
All District

tomjr608 is on a distinguished road
Down 3 TD's to a playoff team in the first 6 minute of the game then shut that team down and grind your way back to a victory! No my WJ friend the Mohawks are not overconfident of this game and I can assure you have their respect. This is a playoff game and will be a hard fought contest on both sides. We just look forward to the challenge and are honored to be there with you. I can guarantee you will get all these young men have and we look forward to yours! What a game to look forward to.
Old 11-13-17, 07:51 PM
All District

Bluehawg is on a distinguished road
Both teams to this point have proved many doubters wrong. Both teams have overcome adversity to get here and with that they have proved that they belong. I don't think anyone is overlooking anybody. I look for just one hell of a battle from both teams. I myself am counting down the days. Should be one hell of a game!!
Old 11-13-17, 08:04 PM
Varsity

WJ-OSU-STEELERS is on a distinguished road
Congrats to WJ who will be making their 8th Regional Final in the last 12 seasons. At 8pm last Friday night it didn't look too good for the Riders but they regrouped and pulled out a w. I believe WJ faced a wing t offense last season vs Lucas, hopefully that will help some in preparation this week. Middletown Madison has proven they are an excellent team based off of what they have accomplished. With this being their 1st playoff appearance I don't know if Madison truly realize what they have accomplished: beating a MAC team in the first round which has only been done by I believe 3 non-MAC schools and then taking out CHCA, the top small school program in the Cincinnati area over the last 15 years. I know WJ players are often reminded of the schools football tradition and are expected to live up to it and to add to it as well but these Madison players are creating their schools history, it must be an exciting time for all involved. Should be a good game with contrasting styles. Good luck to WJ!
Old 11-13-17, 08:52 PM
All Ohio

Exit 29 is on a distinguished road
I wouldnít say CHCA recruits at an attrocius level. After Moeller, St. X, Elder, Lasalle, Mcnick, Badin get there pick of the litter there isnít a whole lot left. Most of CHCA population comes from Mason where the parents feel the public school is way too big and they choose a small private school with excellent academics. CHCA still gets some studs no doubt but they are best a 3rd or 4th option.

I donít see Madison overlooking anybody, there is still that fell that they are happy to be here and still have something to prove. Madison is here to stay, they have great coaching, a great system all the way down to the pee wee level, and they also are in the buckeye side of the swbl so even on a off year they can still make the playoffs in D5.
Old 11-13-17, 10:59 PM
Varsity

Cville-OMW is on a distinguished road
I just love this time of year, especially when the Riders are still in the hunt. It is a special time of year and the Madison young men and fans will not soon forget the experience which they have proven they are well deserving to be part of!!!

Madison has been a giant killer of sort in winning their 1st two playoff games with Anna having 9 and CHCA 12 prior playoff appearances (all since 2000 I might add). Now before anyone gets too excited, my point is that Madison beat a couple of really good teams with a rich history, which generally means good football teams that are well coached and established winning cultures year in and year out. Madison has started a tradition of their own and hopefully they can continue in the years to come.

As my WJ brethren have indicated WJ has been in similar territory with a regional final game and 19 total playoff appearances (only 8 since 2000). Unfortunately WJ has not had much success in the regional title game by running into the likes of CW, ML and CHCA. CHCA happen to be the last playoff loss WJ had and in a regional final game.

WJ will need to start better than they have the last 3-4 weeks or Madison will put another notch on their guns and send WJ packing with plenty of bruises to show for it. I look for an absolute slobernocker with 2 aggressive, tough teams going toe to toe for the regional title. The winner of the trench war will win the game and lay claim to the regional title!!!!
Old 11-13-17, 11:32 PM
Freshman

Tazhutch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by borntopin View Post
As stated Aaron Thompson played for the Middies and he is a truck. Will be surprised if he isn't playing on Saturdays like his dad did. You meant to put Max Evans who had 5.5 sacks this season and is maybe the best d-lineman in the SWBL imo. Doesn't have the numbers as the other 2 you listed but kid has a motor that wont stop. I watched some film on WJ and they are very impressive. I would not at all say that WJ is the underdog here. Undefeated and they have big mean road graders on the oline. The tailback is big and fast and it will take more than one guy to bring him down. It will be the Mohawks biggest challenge to date and I hope they can bring home another W. Madison 21 WJ 20 in a nail biter. Cant wait for this one. May need to bring the ponchos as they are saying 90% chance of rain as of today.
iza
Old 11-13-17, 11:35 PM
Freshman

Tazhutch is on a distinguished road
Don’t know which weatherman your listening to but the one I’m hearing is a 20 per event chance of rain just saying
Old 11-14-17, 01:39 AM
Varsity

roughriderpride is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOldBlood View Post
Ayron Thompson plays for Middletown, not Middletown Madison.

Ayron Thompson plays for Middletown, not Middletown Madison.

Thanks for catching that for me!
Old 11-14-17, 03:04 AM
Varsity

WJ stats now that their website is updated.
There has been numerous team and individual school records broken so far but I'm not going to post those until the season is over.

QB: Lance Lambert- 126 of 197 (64.0%) for 2608 yards 29 TD's 5 Int's.
95 carries for 470 yards (4.9 avg)
Lambert is avg. 20.5 yards per completion! *

RB: Wyatt Dillion- 109 carries for 731 yards (6.7) & 10 TD's.
6 catches for 155 yards (25.8 avg.) & 3 TD's.

RB: Gabe Jones- 53 carries for 565 yards (10.7 avg.) & 8 TD's.
8 catches for 265 yards (33.1 avg.) & 3 TD's.

FB: Ethan Higgins- 79 carries for 322 yards (4.1 avg.) & 12 TD's.
14 catches for 147 yards (10.5) & 1 TD.

WR: Caleb Vanhook- 36 catches for 993 yards (27.6)* & 10 TD's.

WR: Justin Williams- 22 catches for 391 yards (17.8) & 6 TD's.

Punting:
Justin Williams- 23 punts (38.7) 5 I-20

The wj offense has had 89 plays of 20+ yards this season.

Defense:
3rd down Conversions/Attempts- 44/164 (26.8%)
4th down Conversions/Attempts- 13/44 (29.5%)

Average yards Per Rush- 2.9 yards
Rushing yards per game- 88.2 avg.
+13 on takeaways
TTK Solo Asst Sacks TFL
#8 Ethan Higgins- 84 42 42 1.5 9
#24 Justin Gatley- 79 45 34 1 18
#51 Braithwaite- 40 20 20 4.5 11.5

#10 VanHook- 6 INT's with 2 pick 6's and a fumble return for a td.
Old 11-14-17, 12:49 PM
All American

SouthwestOhioGuy17 is on a distinguished road
Madison-West Jeff

Madison's D-line thrives with continuity, aggressiveness

http://www.journal-news.com/sports/p...c46rfYDRoEzTP/
Old 11-15-17, 12:38 AM
Junior Varsity

yungluca is on a distinguished road
BTW, no one comes to Madison to play football. Our teams before these last two years have been barely over .500 or worse. No one moves here to play football like a private school or anything like that at all. Just wanted to clear that up.
Old 11-15-17, 12:43 AM
All Region

Jet19 is on a distinguished road
Good luck to the Rough Riders!
Old 11-15-17, 07:13 AM
Freshman

OutsideObserver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull-to-Trap View Post
Because at the D V level it's a great advantage. Much more than so then at DI or DII. CHCA has a few DI recruits every year. When was the last to come from Madison?

Just saying it was a great effort for Madison to overcome that like they did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know for a fact that CHCA does not offer tuition assistance for athletes. They will offer financial help for the families that need it, but every family pays a large chunk of change to send their children to the school.

CHCA is appealing because they have many of the same amenities & facilities of DI & DII schools, but provides students the opportunity to be two and three sport athletes.

Watched the game last week and Madison won that game because of discipline, physicality, and coaching. CHCA failed to utilize their speed on the edges and in open space up until the end of the game. Good luck to the Mohawks moving forward. The kids, the families and fans deserve this!
Old 11-15-17, 11:13 AM
Junior Varsity

Roughrider84 is on a distinguished road
D V Region 20 Championship: West Jefferson (11-0) vs Middletown Madison (10-2)

Hopefully last weeks start scared the boys a little. I think they got a little too big headed after their week 11 win and thought they could just waltz through the rest of the playoffs. This team is 100% capable of winning a state title, they just have to get the mental mistakes under control.

The past 2 seasons were not typical WJ seasons as we went 4-6 and just werenít playing WJ football. This year itís been a complete turn around. The offense is averaging nearly 50 points a game while the defense is only giving up 14.. the improvement is amazing and is a real testament to the coaches and players. No matter what happens Friday these boys should be so proud of the season theyíve had. Itís been a pleasure watching them compete every week.

Good luck to my Riders this weekend. Iím excited to see what challenges Madison will bring and how our guys will handle them. So hereís to a good, clean, injury free game for BOTH teams.

RR84
Old 11-15-17, 01:32 PM
All American

Madison-West Jeff

Davis happy to have a role in Madison's historic season

http://www.journal-news.com/sports/p...knNfNsecYnZXO/
Old 11-15-17, 07:40 PM
Moderated User

hoser can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by roughriderpride View Post
WJ stats now that their website is updated.
There has been numerous team and individual school records broken so far but I'm not going to post those until the season is over.

QB: Lance Lambert- 126 of 197 (64.0%) for 2608 yards 29 TD's 5 Int's.
95 carries for 470 yards (4.9 avg)
Lambert is avg. 20.5 yards per completion! *

RB: Wyatt Dillion- 109 carries for 731 yards (6.7) & 10 TD's.
6 catches for 155 yards (25.8 avg.) & 3 TD's.

RB: Gabe Jones- 53 carries for 565 yards (10.7 avg.) & 8 TD's.
8 catches for 265 yards (33.1 avg.) & 3 TD's.

FB: Ethan Higgins- 79 carries for 322 yards (4.1 avg.) & 12 TD's.
14 catches for 147 yards (10.5) & 1 TD.

WR: Caleb Vanhook- 36 catches for 993 yards (27.6)* & 10 TD's.

WR: Justin Williams- 22 catches for 391 yards (17.8) & 6 TD's.

Punting:
Justin Williams- 23 punts (38.7) 5 I-20

The wj offense has had 89 plays of 20+ yards this season.

Defense:
3rd down Conversions/Attempts- 44/164 (26.8%)
4th down Conversions/Attempts- 13/44 (29.5%)

Average yards Per Rush- 2.9 yards
Rushing yards per game- 88.2 avg.
+13 on takeaways
TTK Solo Asst Sacks TFL
#8 Ethan Higgins- 84 42 42 1.5 9
#24 Justin Gatley- 79 45 34 1 18
#51 Braithwaite- 40 20 20 4.5 11.5

#10 VanHook- 6 INT's with 2 pick 6's and a fumble return for a td.
Uh, game will come down to can Jeff block Mad Max Evans the Madison nose guard , who is a beast.
Old 11-15-17, 08:54 PM
All District

F. Ziffel is on a distinguished road
Good luck to the Madison Mohawks. Can't figure how in the world you guys lost to Monroe this year.
Old 11-15-17, 09:28 PM
All District

Bluehawg is on a distinguished road
Winner of this game faces the winner of Wheelersburg vs Johnstown-Monroe
Old 11-16-17, 07:40 AM
All District

borntopin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazhutch View Post
Donít know which weatherman your listening to but the one Iím hearing is a 20 per event chance of rain just saying
Down to 48% chance of rain now (accu weather). Hopefully it stays dry.
Old 11-16-17, 08:48 AM
Junior Varsity

yungluca is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Ziffel View Post
Good luck to the Madison Mohawks. Can't figure how in the world you guys lost to Monroe this year.
Blown coverage on multiple plays and the offense could't get rolling.
Old 11-16-17, 09:01 AM
Freshman

SWOH2032 is on a distinguished road
I would like to see the SWBL team win against West Jefferson. I think this will be a hard hitting game. It should be fun to watch. Good luck to both teams!
Old 11-16-17, 09:35 AM
Varsity

From what I heard last night, the rain is supposed to hold off until overnight.
But the weather stations have millions of dollars worth of equipment and still can't get the forecast right past more then a few hours.

A lot of interesting games this weekend in D-5 besides our game, games that either team can win.
The winner of our game, it doesn't get any easier but can find themselves playing for a state title in week 15.
Like I said, wj cannot have a start like last week, they will have to play like they did at Bethel Tate.
Create turnovers and win the LOS on both sides of the ball.
I don't really see either team getting shut out here but Madison is 1 dimensional.
If, wj can slow them down or get them down and make them throw the ball, definitely the edge goes to wj.
WJ has been able to stay balanced pretty much all season and that will be key for them on play action.
Madison's key to the game, hold onto the ball, no big penalties and control both sides of the LOS. Limit wj's big plays, remember, wj has 89 plays of 20+ yards this season!

Johnstown @ Burg- Burg finally played a good all around team in Columbus Academy last week and found themselves down 13-0 at one point. No running clock in that game for Burg but a good comeback!
Johntown is a run run team with a good D that can control the game, clock and beat Burg.
Pleasant @ Eastwood- Going with Eastwood but not ruling out an upset, this will be their biggest game so far.
Black River @ South Range- Toss up!
Old 11-16-17, 09:56 AM
Varsity

LM Panthers is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutsideObserver View Post
I know for a fact that CHCA does not offer tuition assistance for athletes. They will offer financial help for the families that need it, but every family pays a large chunk of change to send their children to the school.
Thatís hilarious right there. They donít offer tuition assistance but help families financially. Are you present when they determine how much ďassistanceĒ they get. Also, how would you know if someone just out of there good will, gave the family a chunk of cash. Trust me that happens as well.

Iíll be honest and not blow smoke. When public schools are pay to play some families get ďfinancialĒ assistance because that family canít pay the 300 to 600 dollars for their son/daughter who want to play a sport. That ďfinancialĒ assistance usually will come from the Booster club or another family. Now 300to 600 dollars is a lot different than 10 to 15K.
Old 11-16-17, 02:32 PM
All American

Preview

It's Madison vs. unbeaten West Jefferson for a Division V regional title

http://www.journal-news.com/sports/p...kj8ZcafGErw4M/
Old 11-16-17, 05:01 PM
All Region

Jet19 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM Panthers View Post
That’s hilarious right there. They don’t offer tuition assistance but help families financially. Are you present when they determine how much “assistance” they get. Also, how would you know if someone just out of there good will, gave the family a chunk of cash. Trust me that happens as well.

I’ll be honest and not blow smoke. When public schools are pay to play some families get “financial” assistance because that family can’t pay the 300 to 600 dollars for their son/daughter who want to play a sport. That “financial” assistance usually will come from the Booster club or another family. Now 300to 600 dollars is a lot different than 10 to 15K.
Don't get me started. Some of the MAC schools had a special grade between Kg and 1st called some bs, but it was basically just for the school to win at football. MAC schools are pathetic for that in my book. Those great small school teams always know the real of the situation. Some earn it and some it is given to. Good luck West Jefferson!!
Old 11-16-17, 05:35 PM
All Ohio

StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet19 View Post
Don't get me started. Some of the MAC schools had a special grade between Kg and 1st called some bs, but it was basically just for the school to win at football. MAC schools are pathetic for that in my book. Those great small school teams always know the real of the situation. Some earn it and some it is given to. Good luck West Jefferson!!
You don't have a effing clue do you!! Let me educate you. We used to have half day kindergarten classes back when I was in school. We actually started having a full day class when I was in Kindergarten and I was in it. Some kids who weren't quite ready for first grade were put into a grade called "Adjusted 1st Grade" and then they would move on to first grade the next year. We, about 7 years ago, got rid of Adjusted First grade because all of our Kindergarten classes are now all day and it is no longer necessary. Never for any reason was any of this athletically motivated but because they weren't adequately prepared for first grade in Half Day kindergarten or they were just a slow learner. Do your research first...