Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who wins?
Kirtland by 17+ 3 5.45%
Kirtland by 8-16 15 27.27%
Kirtland by 1-7 12 21.82%
Rootstown by 1-7 20 36.36%
Rootstown by 8-16 4 7.27%
Rootstown by 17+ 1 1.82%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-14-17, 09:59 AM
Varsity

HornetFanatic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirtland Fan View Post
Like I posted in the Moggy vs. Kirtland thread, Kirtland's achilles heel all year long has been it's pass defense and special teams. Both weaknesses almost came back to bite Kirtland against Moggy. If Rootstown has a good passing game, Kirtland may be in trouble this weekend.

Should be a good game.
I can't disagree with you regarding Kirtland's pass defense. jmog states that Rootstown passes the ball better than Mogadore. That may very well be, but I can't find any objective measures to support that. If they do, and they may, it's probably not by much. I'm curious, has Rootstown faced any team this year that puts up over 400 yards of offense every game (369 rushing)? If so, how did they perform? They probably use about 5-6 backs every game (the bulk of the yards coming from Torok/Neibecker) to achieve that. Week 9-12, Kirtland has rushed for more yards than Rootstown's rush/pass combined.

Week 9-12

Rootstown
Rushing - 826
Avg Rushing - 206 per game (I'm guessing 90% Kaut)
Passing - 449
Avg Passing - 112
Avg Total - 318

Kirtland
Rushing - 1568
Avg Rushing - 392
Passing - 251
Avg Passing - 63
Avg Total - 455

Maybe the question is, Can Kirtland stop the pass and can Rootstown stop the run? Kirtland will need to keep on eye on Conner, Moore & Sibbio as far as receivers go. A good pass rush may help their d-backs
Old 11-14-17, 10:26 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornetFanatic View Post
I can't disagree with you regarding Kirtland's pass defense. jmog states that Rootstown passes the ball better than Mogadore. That may very well be, but I can't find any objective measures to support that. If they do, and they may, it's probably not by much. I'm curious, has Rootstown faced any team this year that puts up over 400 yards of offense every game (369 rushing)? If so, how did they perform? They probably use about 5-6 backs every game (the bulk of the yards coming from Torok/Neibecker) to achieve that. Week 9-12, Kirtland has rushed for more yards than Rootstown's rush/pass combined.

Week 9-12

Rootstown
Rushing - 826
Passing - 449
Avg Passing - 112
Avg Total - 318

Kirtland
Rushing - 1568
Avg Rushing - 392
Passing - 251
Avg Passing - 63
Avg Total - 455

Maybe the question is, Can Kirtland stop the pass and can Rootstown stop the run? Kirtland will need to keep on eye on Conner, Moore & Sibbio as far as receivers go. A good pass rush may help their d-backs
Week 3 & Week 10 , Rootstown gave up 154 yards rushing against East Canton and Mogadore (both playoff teams), Rootstown won both games. Those were the 2 highest rushing outputs any of their opponents had all year. Twice during the regular season they held opponents to negative rushing yards.

Let's look at Kirtland's pass defense now. Week 9, Cuyahoga Heights put up 318 yards passing and lost to Kirtland. Week 12, Mogadore put up 222 yards and lost to Kirtland. Both playoff teams.Twice during the regular season Kirtland held opponents to negative rushing yards.

Rootstown, thru 12 weeks, is averaging 121 yards passing per game. Their biggest passing output was week 8, 193 yards.

Kirtlands smallest rushing output was week 3, 280 yards and their largest was week 10, 534 yards.

Like I said, this should be FUN!
Old 11-14-17, 11:15 AM
All Region

pcbuck is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Week 9-12

Rootstown
Rushing - 826
Passing - 449
Avg Passing - 112
Avg Total - 318

Kirtland
Rushing - 1568
Avg Rushing - 392
Passing - 251
Avg Passing - 63
Avg Total - 455

Outstanding work on the stats.
I agree with jmog that Rootstown has a better passing attack than Mogadore. Let's look at the QB position: Rosato from Mogadore is a first year starter and 5-9 150 while S Steger from Rootstown is a 2 year starter and is 6-3 215. Mogadore has a very good QB but he can't make all the throws that Steger can.
Powertrain gives an unbiased opinion of the Rovers QB earlier in this thread.

Rootstown's closest game this year is 17 points against Mogadore. They haven't trailed all year. They frankly don't have great passsing statistics because they haven't had to throw.
Old 11-14-17, 11:29 AM
All American

jmog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbuck View Post
Outstanding work on the stats.
I agree with jmog that Rootstown has a better passing attack than Mogadore. Let's look at the QB position: Rosato from Mogadore is a first year starter and 5-9 150 while S Steger from Rootstown is a 2 year starter and is 6-3 215. Mogadore has a very good QB but he can't make all the throws that Steger can.
Powertrain gives an unbiased opinion of the Rovers QB earlier in this thread.

Rootstown's closest game this year is 17 points against Mogadore. They haven't trailed all year. They frankly don't have great passsing statistics because they haven't had to throw.
The Rootstown RB has been so good they have never had to pass. Any objective person that has seen both Mogadore and Rootstown would tell you Rootstown passing attack is better than Mogadore’s.

Best comparison is like Mogadore back in 1996 we had Chuck Moore at RB, all state offensive player of the year so no one knew our QB. Our QB then throws for 500+ and like 7 TDS in the state championship game to beat St. Henry. Rootstown is similar.
Old 11-15-17, 09:40 PM
All American

Kirtland Fan is on a distinguished road
Based on what everyone is posting, this is sure to be a high scoring game, with the winner being the last team to get the ball.

45 degrees, 7 mph wind and 10% chance of rain. Pretty decent weather for November in NE Ohio, so weather shouldn't be a factor.
Old 11-16-17, 04:35 AM
All Region

Bluestreak1980 is on a distinguished road
From what I have read this game sounds pretty even. I will give the Hornets the edge due to a ton of experience in this position. Kirtland 38 Rootstown 34
Old 11-16-17, 07:46 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreak1980 View Post
From what I have read this game sounds pretty even. I will give the Hornets the edge due to a ton of experience in this position. Kirtland 38 Rootstown 34
I hope that you are right, but I can see this game being a one-score victory for either team. I knew a little about Moggy, but nothing about Rootstown (other than what's been posted on these threads).

As far as experience, Kirtland's coaches certainly have more playoff experiences, but Kirtland's advantage, IMO, is it's depth. If Maxpreps website is correct, Kirtland has 83 on its roster (ridiculous) and Rootstown only has 25 players? I don't doubt the Kirtland roster, but I question the Rootstown roster. LaVerde does a pretty good job of rotating in players, so that might make a difference.

However, to me, the game will be won or lost by whether Kirtland does a better job stopping Rootstown passing or whether Rootstown does a better job stopping Kirtland's running game. If Kirtland needs a field goal to win at the end of the game, that's bad news for Kirtland because of Kirtland's inconsistent kicking game. In fact, because of the questionable kicking game, it wouldn't surprise me to see Kirtland go for 2 after every touchdown.
Old 11-16-17, 08:13 AM
All Region

Kirtland fan, in the Record Courier preview in August Rootstown had 45 players on the roster.
Old 11-16-17, 09:21 AM
All Region

big medicine is on a distinguished road
Any guesses why D V1 semi final brackets not released with others ?
Old 11-16-17, 09:26 AM
All American

serpico is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by big medicine View Post
I think the Region 22 game has the state a little flummoxed. Liberty Benton is near Findlay and Jeromesville is way the hell over by Ashland.

If LB wins I think it gets the Coldwater/Marion Local winner. If Jeromesville wins I think it gets Kirtland/Rootstown.

That's my guess, anyway.

Last edited by serpico; 11-16-17 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-16-17, 09:37 AM
All Ohio

Andy27 is on a distinguished road
Anyone know if Rootstown is selling presale tickets at the school and how much they are?
Old 11-16-17, 10:24 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirtland Fan View Post
I hope that you are right, but I can see this game being a one-score victory for either team. I knew a little about Moggy, but nothing about Rootstown (other than what's been posted on these threads).

As far as experience, Kirtland's coaches certainly have more playoff experiences, but Kirtland's advantage, IMO, is it's depth. If Maxpreps website is correct, Kirtland has 83 on its roster (ridiculous) and Rootstown only has 25 players? I don't doubt the Kirtland roster, but I question the Rootstown roster. LaVerde does a pretty good job of rotating in players, so that might make a difference.

However, to me, the game will be won or lost by whether Kirtland does a better job stopping Rootstown passing or whether Rootstown does a better job stopping Kirtland's running game. If Kirtland needs a field goal to win at the end of the game, that's bad news for Kirtland because of Kirtland's inconsistent kicking game. In fact, because of the questionable kicking game, it wouldn't surprise me to see Kirtland go for 2 after every touchdown.
looks like 80 for Kirtland (more likley in the 70's) and 45 for Rootstown
Old 11-16-17, 10:32 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by big medicine View Post
if you notice, DIII is also not released. OHSAA rebrackets at this point, they are probably just waiting to see the results of this weeks games (why, I don't know)
Old 11-16-17, 10:36 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post
I think the Region 22 game has the state a little flummoxed. Liberty Benton is near Findlay and Jeromesville is way the hell over by Ashland.

If LB wins I think it gets the Coldwater/Marion Local winner. If Jeromesville wins I think it gets Kirtland/Rootstown.

That's my guess, anyway.
makes sense. what we will not see is Reg 21 vs Reg 24 in the semi-final game
Old 11-16-17, 11:50 AM
All American

Quote:
looks like 80 for Kirtland (more likley in the 70's) and 45 for Rootstown
It seems like practically every male goes out for football in Kirtland (given the popularity of Coach LaVerde and the success of the program over the past 10 years), so the 83 wouldn't surprise me if it were accurate. Only about 30 players actually see regular playing time, however. 45 makes more sense for Rootstown. 25 is more like D7 rosters. Heck, D7 Cuyahoga Hts has 47 on their roster!
Old 11-16-17, 11:57 AM
All American

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post

That's my guess, anyway.
I agree, however it makes scouting a little difficult for the schools involved. Guess OHSAA does not care about that.
Old 11-16-17, 12:01 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
I agree, however it makes scouting a little difficult for the schools involved. Guess OHSAA does not care about that.
Maybe 20 years ago. With the hudle and the digital era that argument is stale.

Of course this is the holdup but then again the state doesn't always make sense. They bypassed a Coldwater/LCC matchup.....45 miles apart, a few years ago for two long drives for all of the final 4 but then again that was to ensure one public team would be in the finals..........

I see Kirtland winning out.
Old 11-16-17, 01:10 PM
All Region

big medicine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
if you notice, DIII is also not released. OHSAA rebrackets at this point, they are probably just waiting to see the results of this weeks games (why, I don't know)
I figured they were maybe holding off naming D III to up the odds of getting a public school in the finals.
Old 11-16-17, 01:16 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy27 View Post
Anyone know if Rootstown is selling presale tickets at the school and how much they are?
Rootstown is selling presale tickets at the main office of the high school. The price is $8. Also Solon HS is charging $3 for parking.
Old 11-16-17, 01:30 PM
All American

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post

Of course this is the holdup but then again the state doesn't always make sense. They bypassed a Coldwater/LCC matchup.....45 miles apart, a few years ago for two long drives for all of the final 4 but then again that was to ensure one public team would be in the finals..........

Than why do schools still send scouts to the games for? Plus you can't watch someone's HUDL account unless you have a password.
Old 11-16-17, 02:12 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post

What I didn't realize until now is that you have a great sense of humor! Kirtland winning out, eh?
Old 11-16-17, 03:18 PM
All Region

denbigfish is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Rootstown is selling presale tickets at the main office of the high school. The price is $8. Also Solon HS is charging $3 for parking.
If I'm not mistaken, since it's a State playoff game, the state mandates the charge for parking, not the school. Get there early and you can probably dodge the cost if that is a concern. There are numerous areas to park without a long walk. Solon stadium is a very good venue.
Old 11-16-17, 03:50 PM
All American

Quote:
Kirtland fan, in the Record Courier preview in August Rootstown had 45 players on the roster.
Thanks, that makes more sense than 25.
Old 11-16-17, 03:55 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
Than why do schools still send scouts to the games for? Plus you can't watch someone's HUDL account unless you have a password.
Coaches for the teams ask each other for electronic copies of tapes of games, and everyone pretty much cooperates with everyone else. Voice has a point. In the electronic age in which we live, driving to scout teams is not as critical as it once was. That said, last that I checked, Kirtland still sends out scouts.
Old 11-16-17, 07:51 PM
All District

sepirate86 is on a distinguished road
Rovers by more than 20, not even close.
Old 11-16-17, 08:21 PM
All District

CJK84 is on a distinguished road
Like thavoice, I also see Kirtland as the favorite to win it all.

The MAC representative in the state final, if ML or CW gets that far, will be a team that has not faced a smashmouth opponent all season - the MAC has become a passing league with numerous qb's putting up big numbers. Defenses focus extensively on limiting passing yards.

Stopping Kirtland's highly successful old-school rushing offense will be difficult for any team - only one week of prep and little or no previous experience throughout the season.
Old 11-17-17, 02:05 PM
Freshman

kirt88 is on a distinguished road
Calpreps has Rootstown by 2. I feel that is closer to the truth than Drew +4. But one thing you can't over look..... experience. This is Rootstown first time to the big show. Kirtland, well....... Even with Rootstown favored by 2, I still feel it will be somewhat of an upset if Rootstown wins. GO HORNETS!!!
Old 11-17-17, 03:48 PM
Varsity

OHSSA released the State Semi Final bracket, 21 vs 23 and 22 vs 24

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-17, 08:57 PM
All World

afwpatfire is on a distinguished road
Kirtland 17
Rootstown 0

3rd
Old 11-17-17, 10:28 PM