Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-04-17, 05:00 PM
All District

jayce is on a distinguished road
Deviated Septum

Anyone ever have surgery for a deviated septum? Any thoughts on long the recovery is and how soon you can realistically take a nice cross face without a mask?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-17, 06:14 PM
All American

Yankeefan33 is on a distinguished road
I had it a couple years ago. Speaking from personal experience, I was out for a couple weeks post surgery. I got some splints (metal pieces, splint maybe not the right word) in my nose for like 10 days post surgery. Didn't do much exercising for maybe 3 weeks, but it's probably closer to two.

Don't know about how long until back for wrestling. I do remember when discussing it with a surgeon, recovery/return to working out was discussed, and for me it was 2-3 weeks.
Old 11-04-17, 07:49 PM
All District

That is the same story the doctor described, but I don't think returning to the mat in 3 weeks makes much sense.
Old 11-05-17, 01:52 AM
Varsity

NEohiowrestler is on a distinguished road
Yes had a deviated septum and had rhinoplasty surgery summer after senior year. I wrestled my freshman year in college with a mask. Didn’t wrestle Sophomore year due to a concussion and then wrestled my junior year with no mask. Nose looks better than ever, so 2 Years max... definitely don’t wrestle without a mask within that first year, otherwise it’ll break the fragile cartilage and seal incorrectly.
Old 11-05-17, 01:59 AM
All Ohio

simkon is on a distinguished road
My suggestion is as follows, if the person with the injury is or has a very good (realistic) chance to be a top wrestler and get a division I scholarship then I would say go ahead and wrestle with a mask. If not though I would possibly sit out a year to let it completely heal and err on the side of caution. It is not worth it to wrestle unless you are truly exceptional and one of the best in the state and likely to get a scholarship for DI.
Whatever you decide, the safety and health of the athlete supersedes everything else.
Old 11-05-17, 11:17 AM
All American

CincyCoach is on a distinguished road
I've lived with a deviated septum for about 25 years. If it's not cosmetic, you may want to wait until the competitive wrestling career is over. I mean, if you've ever had the surgery you'll understand you don't want to go through it twice, which is why I've chosen to just live with it! Lol
Old 11-05-17, 09:23 PM
All District

More so an issue of poor sleep quality affecting other parts of life. I guess if he can train 5-6 weeks after surgery and then wrestle with a mask, maybe not so bad?
Old 11-06-17, 10:07 AM
Freshman

Akronviper is on a distinguished road
I personally would wait until you are done Wrestling. Get your nose broke again and you can have the same issue if not worse. The nose is something you can only adjust so many times.
I thought it was funny that the doctor asked if I have ever been hit in the nose, he asked how many times? Like I would say 1 or 2 times haha I just laughed and said idk more than I care to count.
Old 11-06-17, 12:12 PM
All American

ptrsn is on a distinguished road
had this surgery. i lived with it from when i was 16 until i was 30. kind of turned me into a mouth breather though since one side of nose was always closed off. there was no cosmetic problem though. my nose wasn't sideways or anything. took a couple weeks before the breathtaking process of pulling the stints out of the nose that feels like your lungs are coming out with them.
Old 11-06-17, 02:46 PM
All World

MPhillips is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrsn View Post
took a couple weeks before the breathtaking process of pulling the stints out of the nose that feels like your lungs are coming out with them.
That did it for me.
Old 11-06-17, 03:19 PM
All American

CincyCoach is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPhillips View Post
That did it for me.
precisely! He was a little more graphic than I was. But no less accurate! lol
Old 11-06-17, 03:35 PM
All American

rjewards is on a distinguished road
yikes I was never model material to begin with
Old 11-10-17, 11:56 AM
Freshman

FaughtsAndy is on a distinguished road
took a couple weeks before the breathtaking process of pulling the stints out of the nose that feels like your lungs are coming out with them.[/QUOTE]

I also waited till I was in my 30's. I actually enjoyed the stints coming out. It was the first time in about 20 years I took a deep breath thru my nose without restriction. Felt great. A baseball off the face while pitching is what caused mine.
Old 11-10-17, 12:57 PM
All District

Having waited to effectively after your playing days were over, if you could go back, would you get it done right away or wait until you were ready to hang up the shoes?