Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-05-17, 07:12 PM
All Ohio

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
PTC: Metro/County 2017-2018 thread

Alright, looks like Basketball season is already underway. Many folks who are done with football are already practicing. Any thoughts on the upcoming season?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-17, 12:07 PM
Varsity

Bubbly Bulldog is on a distinguished road
I'm interested to see how Norton is with the departure of Swartz. I know he was tough on the kids but he did get results! Coventry has a ton of athletes so they should be a favorite to win the Metro. Not sure how the rest of the pack will be. Not to much noise yet but the scrimmages should give us more of an idea of who has a few players
Old 11-06-17, 12:15 PM
All Ohio

Even with Coventry's athleticism. I will consider the defending ptc champion, in this case Woodridge, the favorite, until Coventry knocks them off. They deserve that much for winning the championship last season. However I consider Woodridge's edge to be razor thin at best. Coventry brings back everybody from last year with the exception of Burkhart. Hogg, Sibley, Vanadia, Williams are our returning starters, Wallace is our returning 6th man shooter off the bench.

Coventry/Woodridge actually split the series last year, but because Coventry had a loss to Streetsboro, Woodridge was able to snag the championship for themselves.
Old 11-06-17, 03:02 PM
All Region

CometsB&G is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
Even with Coventry's athleticism. I will consider the defending ptc champion, in this case Woodridge, the favorite, until Coventry knocks them off. They deserve that much for winning the championship last season. However I consider Woodridge's edge to be razor thin at best. Coventry brings back everybody from last year with the exception of Burkhart. Hogg, Sibley, Vanadia, Williams are our returning starters, Wallace is our returning 6th man shooter off the bench.

Coventry/Woodridge actually split the series last year, but because Coventry had a loss to Streetsboro, Woodridge was able to snag the championship for themselves.

Drew Williams returned to his home district of Kenmore/Garfield, Wallace is more than ready to step in, Wagner or Skaggs next man up, Wagner coming off football injury & may be slow out of gate but a shooter, Skaggs is that kid everyone loves to have, scrappy & plays good hard defense, hopefully Zittle is ready to contribute & gives us some more height. Woodridge lost a lot, Lydic will win them games but a back to back PTC title Iím not sure of that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-07-17, 01:13 AM
All Region

SLAGuy is on a distinguished road
Seems that the PTC might be down a little this year. Can Coventry overcome Woodridge?
Old 11-07-17, 07:39 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAGuy View Post
Seems that the PTC might be down a little this year. Can Coventry overcome Woodridge?
We did take a game from them last year. Most of that team is back.
Old 11-07-17, 11:44 AM
Varsity

Bubbly Bulldog is on a distinguished road
How about Field Springfield and Cloverleaf is there any hope any of them can compete for the league?
Old 11-07-17, 12:17 PM
All Yappi

thePITman is on a distinguished road
Just confirming this year's basketball members:

Metro Cloverleaf
Metro Coventry
Metro Field
Metro Norton
Metro Ravenna
Metro Springfield
Metro Streetsboro
Metro Woodridge
County Crestwood
County Garfield (Garrettsville)
County Lake Center Christian
County Mogadore
County Rootstown
County Southeast
County Valley Christian
Old 11-07-17, 12:52 PM
All Region

Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometsB&G View Post
Drew Williams returned to his home district of Kenmore/Garfield, Wallace is more than ready to step in, Wagner or Skaggs next man up, Wagner coming off football injury & may be slow out of gate but a shooter, Skaggs is that kid everyone loves to have, scrappy & plays good hard defense, hopefully Zittle is ready to contribute & gives us some more height. Woodridge lost a lot, Lydic will win them games but a back to back PTC title Iím not sure of that

Williams transferred again? 3rd time?
Old 11-07-17, 02:15 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan22 View Post
Williams transferred again? 3rd time?

Yes, East freshman year, 1/2 year Coventry sophomore year transfer rule, Coventry junior year, & Kenmore/Garfield senior year, I donít think he has to sit this year because of going back to home district but I could be wrong

Old 11-07-17, 02:21 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbly Bulldog View Post
How about Field Springfield and Cloverleaf is there any hope any of them can compete for the league?

I donít think any of those 3 will compete but I think Streetsboro will compete for title

Old 11-07-17, 02:54 PM
All Ohio

I think it will be Coventry, Norton, Streetsboro, woodridge at the top again. I don't think Ravenna will get its act together this season. Leaf, Field, and Springfield, and Ravenna will be bottom four. Although I will be keeping an eye on the Spartans with Coach Cole.
Old 11-15-17, 01:15 AM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Heard tonight that Tallmadge handled Woodrige fairly easily. Not sure if Woodridge was missing any players but Tallmadge was missing two starters and a third that has a shot at starting. Plus a 4th player that has a shot to start missed alot of the time tonight due to injury.

Knowing what Tallmadge was missing, I'm really surprised by this. Anyone know how much Woodridge lost due to graduation?
Old 11-15-17, 10:13 AM
All Ohio

msd1300 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Heard tonight that Tallmadge handled Woodrige fairly easily. Not sure if Woodridge was missing any players but Tallmadge was missing two starters and a third that has a shot at starting. Plus a 4th player that has a shot to start missed alot of the time tonight due to injury.

Knowing what Tallmadge was missing, I'm really surprised by this. Anyone know how much Woodridge lost due to graduation?
Woodridge returns POY Mason Lydic, graduates their other 4 starters plus one.
(King, Clark, Jones, Nelsen, Howard)

Streetsboro I believe has also lost two 1st team All-League players from last season in Jones and Benson. (Transfers, Bedford)

Coventry graduates Dusty Burkhart.
Old 11-15-17, 01:45 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by msd1300 View Post

Streetsboro I believe has also lost two 1st team All-League players from last season in Jones and Benson. (Transfers, Bedford)

Williams also transferred from Coventry to Kenfield.
Old 11-15-17, 01:54 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by msd1300 View Post

Thanks. That probably explains it. Losing that many quality players is going to take a little while to get everyone playing well together. Having Lydic back is a major plus but those are some big shoes to fill for Woodridge.
Old 11-16-17, 12:33 PM
Junior Varsity

BulldogDad14 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post

Just a scrimmage and not too surprised for a couple reasons..........
3 Woodridge starters are football players and have been on the court for less than a week. Also the projected starting PG was not available for the scrimmage. Woodridge had 9 players. It wasnt as if Tallmadge(been on the court since Nov 1(without their football players of course) blew the Dogs off the court. 1st Qtr Tallmadge 16-11, 2nd Qtr Tallmadge 12-10, 3rd Qtr Tallmadge 17-15, 4th Qtr Tallamdge 11-4, 5th Qtr Tallmadge 13-10, 6th Qtr Woodridge 16-9, 7th Qtr Woodridge 14-8, 8th Qtr Woodridge 12-6. Much work to be done for sure to compete for the PTC Metro Title. Should be a fun year to watch.
Old 11-16-17, 02:36 PM
All World

BigWorm can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAGuy View Post
Is it possible to be "down" more than normal?
Old 11-16-17, 03:27 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWorm View Post
Is it possible to be "down" more than normal?
I dunno, the ptc has been up in the last 3 years. It has been just divided between the haves and the have-nots, talent-wise. Coventry, Norton, Woodridge, Streetsboro, have had decent teams. But the bottom half of the league could use some work. So have you heard anything from your mancrush, Coach Cole?
Old 11-16-17, 05:42 PM
All World

kingpin2010 is on a distinguished road
What's Lake Center supposed to be like this year? I know next to nothing about them and we (McDonald) play them on a Saturday in December (I believe in some form of showcase event). It looks like they had a solid team last year just looking at results
Old 11-19-17, 11:19 AM
Varsity

PTC Junky is on a distinguished road
Lake Center had a coaching change mid-season last year, did the interim coach wind up with the job?
Old 11-20-17, 07:23 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
I dunno, the ptc has been up in the last 3 years. It has been just divided between the haves and the have-nots, talent-wise. Coventry, Norton, Woodridge, Streetsboro, have had decent teams. But the bottom half of the league could use some work. So have you heard anything from your mancrush, Coach Cole?
I actually ran into him yesterday, update forthcoming....
Old 11-20-17, 12:02 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
I actually ran into him yesterday, update forthcoming....
This'll be good...
Old 11-22-17, 02:45 PM
All World

So I ran into Coach Cool at the Christmas Tree Festival at John S Knight Center. Coach is very optimistic about this year's Spartans. Anyways I ran into coach right by Santa. Apparently he had just got his picture taken on Santa's lap all he wants for Christmas is a district title. Coach was palming a melon sized ornament in each hand the whole time we were talking. Man for being a short man he really has big fingers. You know what they say about big fingers? Big gloves fools get yo mind outta da gutter.

Coach says he has a lot of depth cuming back on this Spartan team. He says that the league is pretty top heavy. He did mention his frustration with Coventry's recruiting and how it has upset the balance of the league. He is worried that Coventry will try to poach players from his youth system. "It is a sad day when you have to recruit your own 3rd graders to remain in the program". He said that Woodyridge has lost a lot but they will be Springfield's biggest competition. I was surprised he did not even mention other teams in the league, he seemed more worried about finishing the candy can he was tonging during our whole conversation. I asked about Field and before I could even finish the sentence he hit me with "Bro, Field, cmon man"? I told him that the conversation was on record, he replied, "Print it Brotien Shake". He also stated that Lake Center is about the dirtiest team that he has ever seen. He said their play on the court is more like Lake Not-Centered Christian if you know what I mean!!!!

Anyways he has setup this really cool social media account where you can follow all of the adventures of him and the players on his team. I went home and checked it out and was delighted to see the positive interactions he has had with the players both on and off of the court. I saw them at an Ugly Christmas party with red solo cups (diet cola i presume ), doing a Spartan race at the school, high school bonfires with the cheer squad, and just hanging out and playing video games. If the shaggy hair kid can shoot like he clips threes in 2k, they will be unstoppable. I was promised a followup to our conversation...
Old 11-22-17, 03:01 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
So I ran into Coach Cool at the Christmas Tree Festival at John S Knight Center. Coach is very optimistic about this year's Spartans. Anyways I ran into coach right by Santa. Apparently he had just got his picture taken on Santa's lap all he wants for Christmas is a district title. Coach was palming a melon sized ornament in each hand the whole time we were talking. Man for being a short man he really has big fingers. You know what they say about big fingers? Big gloves fools get yo mind outta da gutter.

Coach says he has a lot of depth cuming back on this Spartan team. He says that the league is pretty top heavy. He did mention his frustration with Coventry's recruiting and how it has upset the balance of the league. He is worried that Coventry will try to poach players from his youth system. "It is a sad day when you have to recruit your own 3rd graders to remain in the program". He said that Woodyridge has lost a lot but they will be Springfield's biggest competition. I was surprised he did not even mention other teams in the league, he seemed more worried about finishing the candy can he was tonging during our whole conversation. I asked about Field and before I could even finish the sentence he hit me with "Bro, Field, cmon man"? I told him that the conversation was on record, he replied, "Print it Brotien Shake". He also stated that Lake Center is about the dirtiest team that he has ever seen. He said their play on the court is more like Lake Not-Centered Christian if you know what I mean!!!!

Anyways he has setup this really cool social media account where you can follow all of the adventures of him and the players on his team. I went home and checked it out and was delighted to see the positive interactions he has had with the players both on and off of the court. I saw them at an Ugly Christmas party with red solo cups (diet cola i presume ), doing a Spartan race at the school, high school bonfires with the cheer squad, and just hanging out and playing video games. If the shaggy hair kid can shoot like he clips threes in 2k, they will be unstoppable. I was promised a followup to our conversation...
When you talk to him next, can you ask him his take on Streetsboro and Norton? Im dying to hear it.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk