Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Soccer

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-17-17, 01:25 AM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Columbus Crew owner likely relocating team to Austin, TX

Barring New Downtown Stadium, Columbus Crew Will Move to Austin in 2019
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-17, 06:38 AM
Varsity

cinrunner is on a distinguished road
To much pressure from Southern Ohio I guess.
Old 10-17-17, 06:46 AM
All Region

AIK Solna is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinrunner View Post
To much pressure from Southern Ohio I guess.
I agree. An outdated (??) stadium is not the issue here. It is the fact that FC Cincinnati, an extremely well-run organization, has won over a substantial portion of the Crews fan base in just its second year in existence, in spite of being in a lower league. How embarrassing. Instead of re-evaluating how their organization has been run, they have to blame someone else - in this case the stadium. MAPFRE Stadium is more than adequate. Perhaps the Crew realizes that should FC Cincinnati join MLS, it will be the death knell of the Crew organization.
Old 10-17-17, 06:46 AM
Freshman

getagrip is on a distinguished road
The Crew seems to be pretty steady in Columbus. In TX there are already MLS teams in Houston and Dallas. The Austin Aztex Soccer Team tried to make a go of it a couple times but are currently on hiatus according to their website. I wonder what they expect to get from Austin? And how much Columbus would shell out to keep them.
Old 10-17-17, 07:24 AM
All American

Gview
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIK Solna View Post
I agree. An outdated (??) stadium is not the issue here. It is the fact that FC Cincinnati, an extremely well-run organization, has won over a substantial portion of the Crews fan base in just its second year in existence, in spite of being in a lower league. How embarrassing. Instead of re-evaluating how their organization has been run, they have to blame someone else - in this case the stadium. MAPFRE Stadium is more than adequate. Perhaps the Crew realizes that should FC Cincinnati join MLS, it will be the death knell of the Crew organization.

Precourt was moving the team to Austin regardless. This has nothing to do with Cincinnati.
Old 10-17-17, 07:30 AM
All Region

belied dat is on a distinguished road
FC Cincinnati has nothing to do with this move.

Owner is holding city hostage to get a new toy. Sound familiar? Billionaire owners want the public to pay for something else...

He's a venture capitalist. Buy-low, sell-high. He got Crew and stadium extremely cheap (estimated $60-80m). MLS owners don't care about soccer, they care about their ROI.
Old 10-17-17, 08:03 AM
All Region

AIK Solna is on a distinguished road
Whatever the reason, I hope they make the move. It would pave the way for FC Cincinnati to join MLS.
Old 10-17-17, 08:10 AM
All District

steelboot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by belied dat View Post
FC Cincinnati has nothing to do with this move.

Owner is holding city hostage to get a new toy. Sound familiar? Billionaire owners want the public to pay for something else...

He's a venture capitalist. Buy-low, sell-high. He got Crew and stadium extremely cheap (estimated $60-80m). MLS owners don't care about soccer, they care about their ROI.
Don't most investors care about ROI? Let's be honest, how many of the NFL owners REALLY care about football? Owning an NFL team is just a means to wealth appreciation. Just look at America's Team Owner Jerry Jones. He bought the Cowboys in 1989 for $180 Million and now they are the most valuable sports franchise on the planet. Jerry has done some amazing things for football and the NFL (why he is in the HOF), but bottom line it was about the all mighty dollar.
Old 10-17-17, 08:42 AM
All Region

Upper 90 is on a distinguished road
What is this going to do to the Crew DA if it comes to pass? They have built a ridiculous pyramid of money based on that MLS connection.
Old 10-17-17, 09:04 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelboot View Post
Don't most investors care about ROI? Let's be honest, how many of the NFL owners REALLY care about football? Owning an NFL team is just a means to wealth appreciation. Just look at America's Team Owner Jerry Jones. He bought the Cowboys in 1989 for $180 Million and now they are the most valuable sports franchise on the planet. Jerry has done some amazing things for football and the NFL (why he is in the HOF), but bottom line it was about the all mighty dollar.
Yes, but I don't care about the other sports. ROI is important, I'm not negating that. But, the sport is more important. Especially with soccer if we ever want to compete in the world's game.

Part of the reason NFL and owners hid the concussion information. It could hurt their investment. Now...we see the anthem issue potentially hurting their investment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIK Solna View Post
Whatever the reason, I hope they make the move. It would pave the way for FC Cincinnati to join MLS.
This isn't necessarily true. Nothing says MLS wants to be in Ohio. The most important game (to date) in Ohio soccer history drew 1.1m viewers nationwide for the 2015 MLS Cup Final. That's pitiful.

There's major issue in getting a stadium, and having the public pay for it. Does that sound familiar in Cincinnati?

One could even say, MLS had tried in Ohio and it didn't work out. So...let's give another state a shot.

Crew have hurt FCC's chances if they stayed or if they go. Too close proximity if they stay. If they go, FCC loses a close rival (something that was really a selling point).
Old 10-17-17, 10:05 AM
Junior Varsity

ohiosoccer1 is on a distinguished road
FC Cincinnati's presence isn't drawing anything from the Crew. They're two hours away. It's a business decision. No public funded stadium = no Columbus Crew.
Old 10-17-17, 10:23 AM
All American

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiosoccer1 View Post
FC Cincinnati's presence isn't drawing anything from the Crew. They're two hours away. It's a business decision. No public funded stadium = no Columbus Crew.
Yeah, Cincinnati has nothing to do with it. That stadium is small in Columbus. Only around 18,000. They want a new stadium
Old 10-17-17, 10:43 AM
All Region

They want a new stadium that's not 4 miles away from the city AND one that has bells, whistles, and shiny things.

Oh, and he wants the public to fund it.
Old 10-17-17, 11:34 AM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
The mayor of Austin has come out and said there will be no public funding for a stadium there.

If Precourt moves the Crew, on the pretense that Columbus needs to build him a downtown stadium, to Austin where he'll need to build his stadium with private funds, after having declined local investment in Columbus...well I'll hope Austin fails spectacularly, he goes broke, and MLS awards an expansion to the would-be Columbus owners with rights to the Crew trademarks and history.
Old 10-17-17, 12:50 PM
All American

ammtd34 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, they're definitely gone.

http://mls2atx.com/
Old 10-17-17, 01:10 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammtd34 View Post
Yeah, they're definitely gone.

http://mls2atx.com/
That's existed. Just like MLS owning trademarks to two different Austin names. It's been going on for months.
Old 10-17-17, 01:51 PM
All American

ammtd34 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by belied dat View Post
That's existed. Just like MLS owning trademarks to two different Austin names. It's been going on for months.
I know the campaign had existed, I had just never seen Precourt's name on it before. I don't think anyone else had, either. It's a misleading site that says it's owned by supporters, but is actually owned by Precourt.

Last edited by ammtd34; 10-17-17 at 02:43 PM..
Old 10-17-17, 02:32 PM
All Region

Kickin Wing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
The mayor of Austin has come out and said there will be no public funding for a stadium there.

If Precourt moves the Crew, on the pretense that Columbus needs to build him a downtown stadium, to Austin where he'll need to build his stadium with private funds, after having declined local investment in Columbus...well I'll hope Austin fails spectacularly, he goes broke, and MLS awards an expansion to the would-be Columbus owners with rights to the Crew trademarks and history.

We can only hope!

There should be a rule that forces any owner to live in the city... and if you want to move you have to sell your share of the team! Owner cares nothing about Columbus, he lives in LA! I live in Cincy and I'm a FCC fan... but it sucks what he is doing to Crew fans! Hate to say it... but let him move!
Old 10-18-17, 07:58 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbyb View Post
Forbes lists the Columbus Crew franchise worth $118 Million.
The new MLS franchise fee is $200 million.

I think I'd try to buy an existing franchise and move it to Cincinnati before I'd write Garber a $200 million dollar check.

FC Cincinnati Crew
sebby:

You got this spot on. Das Leader in MLS and Prec*nt had this setup the whole time. They knew the plan all along. Buy cheap, move and make bank. Bypass the whole MLS Expansion process, and Prec*nt was an Expansion Team member!

All of this continues to be the main reason why I do not want FCC to spend a dime to get to MLS. It's a cartel. It's hindering the growth of soccer in the US. Quit padding the pockets of Das Leader. US Soccer needs better leadership from above and within each pro league.

Until this happens, I won't be spending a dime for pro soccer OR international soccer in the US. Sucks. It's time to ramp up the protests to get things done for the betterment of the game in the US.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: