Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Elder Panthers

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-13-18, 12:09 PM
All Yappi

Descartes has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insanity5 View Post
In two years, I think they should be very good and I expect them to be very good. With the starting 5 Freshman, Cluxton, Luebbe and a few more sophs they should have alot of talent.

A note from this year. Brett Marsh did an unbelievable job guarding the other teams big guys they last 3 games. May not be a tougher kid to come through Elder.
He and Harp also shot the ball incredibly well. Elder was playing their best bball of the yr during the Tourney and the Sr leaders deserve a lot of credit for that performance.
Old 03-13-18, 12:21 PM
All Yappi

And of course, it’s vey hard to predict where this team will be in 2-3 yrs. The Frosh team that went unbeaten didn’t even make it as far as this group, which was far less talented. So much of Tournament success depends on matchups. However, this Frosh Class mixed with the better Sophs like Cluxton and Merz will be very deep and talented. It’s hard to know how they’ll matchup with teams outside Cincy, but they’ll be every bit as talented as anyone in the city.
Old 05-17-18, 09:13 AM
Varsity

foreword is on a distinguished road
word on the street is that the current 8th grade westside panthers beat the current freshman team last night at Elder.......
Old 05-17-18, 09:28 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreword View Post
word on the street is that the current 8th grade westside panthers beat the current freshman team last night at Elder.......
Don’t care. There’s a much larger fish still out there, that’s better than any of those kids. Land him with the talent in those two classes and it’s game over. For context, he’s ranked a head of LeBron’s son. Certainly, kids with this kind of hype don’t akways live up to expectations, but even if he’s half as good as advertised, that would be a monstrous team with the two classes in front of him. That’s the kind of team that gets National exposure.

Last edited by Descartes; 05-17-18 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-17-18, 09:31 AM
All American

trey2k is an unknown quantity at this point
8th grade has some kids that could play JV right away...no doubt about it.

Body development would probably hinder them from Varsity right now, but they're going to be very good. Lots of development run-way as well (they're good and young). Will be exciting to watch them develop over the next 4 years. Class in front of them should provide a very strong nucleus for them. Hopefully the class behind them has some guys that can develop as well.
Old 05-21-18, 05:19 PM
Junior Varsity

cincyelder is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreword View Post
Frosh were missing Miller, Walker and Weber so PG duties were left to Keehan and Wandstrat. Also had an 8th grader with the Frosh who didnt make the 8th grade spring team to give them another body. And, most of the Frosh playing hadn't played any basketball since the middle of February except a couple and they were coached by a dad. The 8th grade team had all their guys and been playing and practicing together since February and were coached by their coach.

Not exactly a heads up scrimmage. Im betting you throw the actual first 9 from the Frosh team playing with Bengel and Murphy coaching and the outcome would have been dramatically different.

Last edited by cincyelder; 05-22-18 at 05:14 AM.
Old 05-22-18, 05:34 AM
Junior Varsity

cincyelder is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by trey2k View Post
8th grade has some kids that could play JV right away...no doubt about it.

Body development would probably hinder them from Varsity right now,
Not even close. The basketball that these 8th graders have played in the last 6 months will not prepare them to make JV over any of the current freshman team or play in the GCL. And to hint some are close to ready for Varsity? Sure if you want the Varsity to go 4-18.
Old 05-22-18, 05:42 AM
Varsity

foreword is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyelder View Post
Not even close. The basketball that these 8th graders have played in the last 6 months will not prepare them to make JV over any of the current freshman team or play in the GCL. And to hint some are close to ready for Varsity? Sure if you want the Varsity to go 4-18.
Agreed, GCL basketball is an entirely different animal from what these kids have faced to this point. And even though a lot of them are the same age as some of the freshmen, I can't see them making a dent in JV starting lineup.
Old 05-22-18, 06:11 AM
All Region

voiceoreaso is on a distinguished road
"And even though a lot of them are the same age as some of the freshmen, I can't see them making a dent in JV starting lineup.[/B] "

Really?? Your better than that. Can already see the bitterness started between these 2 classes. Wow.

I would be shocked if the Harp kid isn't moved up to JV next year. His development over the past year has been incredible
Old 05-22-18, 02:12 PM
All American

There are 3 kids that could dress, play, and possibly start on JV right now (agree starting is up for debate). Varsity is definitely a stretch, I will admit....but I said as much in my post.

Harp, Hambleton, and Keller all have the skills to play at that level right now. And can we stop with the "they don't have the physicality to play GCL ball right now." It's meaningless.

The past three GCL players of the year (Haubner and Fleming) weighed 165 soaken wet. You can knock Haubner over with a straw. And he dominated. Not with his size, but with basketball skill and high IQ. What guards in the GCL were these huge physical specimens?

Cluxton probably weighs 105 pounds and he will have no issue making and playing significant minutes next year. Elder's best player, Harp, is also rail thin. If you can play, you can play. Stop with this "GCL ball" crap. The GCL makes up, including tournament, less than 25% of the games played. Who cares. Would you rather have 3 Harps or 1 Harp and 2 "muscle guys" - this is the past problem with their personnel. Get basketball players, and the basketball program gets better.

I'm not saying they're taking spots...I'm saying it's great for the program to have kids good enough to be in the conversation. It's a good thing, not a bad thing. Makes for a better team and program. I'm also hoping mad politics doesn't screw this up. If a kid has JV ability, he belongs on JV. If that takes a spot from a kid who has no chance of competing at the Varsity level, then so be it. Start gelling these really good kids from all classes now and it will pay dividends in 2-3 years.

Last edited by trey2k; 05-22-18 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-22-18, 02:28 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyelder View Post
Frosh were missing Miller, Walker and Weber so PG duties were left to Keehan and Wandstrat. Also had an 8th grader with the Frosh who didnt make the 8th grade spring team to give them another body. And, most of the Frosh playing hadn't played any basketball since the middle of February except a couple and they were coached by a dad. The 8th grade team had all their guys and been playing and practicing together since February and were coached by their coach.

Not exactly a heads up scrimmage. Im betting you throw the actual first 9 from the Frosh team playing with Bengel and Murphy coaching and the outcome would have been dramatically different.
No one is drawing any conclusions from this. Calm down.
Old 05-23-18, 11:06 AM
All Region

Insanity5 is on a distinguished road
I believe kids can play 4 quarters of basketball between classes. I would like to see the better freshman play 2 quarters of Freshman (Hambleton, Keller, Harp) and 2 quarters of JV. And I would like to see the better JV players play (the starting 5) play 3 quarters of JV and minutes on Varsity. Unless they are good enough to start for Varsity.
Old 05-23-18, 12:57 PM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by trey2k View Post
And can we stop with the "they don't have the physicality to play GCL ball right now." It's meaningless.
This mindset has been an issue for Elder in hoops for what has seemed like forever now. You go with skill and talent all day.
Old 05-23-18, 02:30 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insanity5 View Post
I believe kids can play 4 quarters of basketball between classes. I would like to see the better freshman play 2 quarters of Freshman (Hambleton, Keller, Harp) and 2 quarters of JV. And I would like to see the better JV players play (the starting 5) play 3 quarters of JV and minutes on Varsity. Unless they are good enough to start for Varsity.
Absolutely...balancing the "development" minutes is so important. Give them a taste of the next level and see how they perform. Both players and teams get better that way. That's what freshman and JV ball are for.