Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-16-18, 09:32 AM
All American

mailman112 is on a distinguished road
Transfer law decision today

I hope this passes.

COLUMBUS, Ohio – A major change to the Ohio High School Athletic Association’s transfer bylaw could be on the horizon this spring.

Currently, transfer students who do not meet an exception must sit out preseason contests and the first half of the regular-season before becoming eligible to participate. Instead, the proposed change would have students sit out the second half of the regular-season and the OHSAA postseason tournament.

OHSAA member high schools will vote in May on a proposed change to the transfer bylaw, which was among seven items approved by the OHSAA Board of Directors Thursday to go on the ballot during the OHSAA’s annual referendum voting period.

The proposed change, which can only be approved by a majority vote of the OHSAA’s 819 member high schools, changes the sit-out period for transfer students who do not meet one of the established exceptions to the transfer bylaw.

Member schools will vote on all proposed changes from May 1-15, with results announced on May 16. If approved by the membership, the change would become effective immediately and apply to any students who transfer after May 16, 2018.

Changes to the OHSAA Constitution and Bylaws can only come from a majority vote of the member schools.

“Much of the feedback we have received from the membership indicates that the current consequence – sitting out the first half of the regular-season – is not a significant deterrent,” Dr. Dan Ross, OHSAA Executive Director, said. “If a student knows that the end of the regular-season and the tournament will still be available, they are more likely to transfer. We don’t believe that a high number of transfers is good for education-based athletics.”

There are 11 exceptions in the transfer bylaw, the most common being a change of residence into a new school district, which grant immediate eligibility.

For decades, the consequence for transferring without meeting one of the exceptions was ineligibility for an entire calendar year in all sports regardless of which sports the student played at the previous school.

In 2013, the transfer bylaw was changed to its current format, which calls for ineligibility during the first half of the season in the sports that the student played in the previous 12 months prior to the date of transfer.

The OHSAA Board of Directors could add additional referendum voting items during its March 23 meeting. Ballots are mailed to each school in late April and must be received in the OHSAA office by 4 p.m. on Tuesday May 15.

The OHSAA has 26 sanctioned sports during this school year and approximately 400,000 high school student-athletes participate.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-18, 10:00 AM
Junior Varsity

NY_OH Sports is on a distinguished road
Plenty of coaches may agree, my guess is none of the kids do! When will the results be announced?
Old 05-16-18, 10:10 AM
All American

2pm from what I am told
Old 05-16-18, 12:06 PM
Varsity

gableminded is on a distinguished road
I really hope this passes, I'm sure schools like Lasalle and Brecksville won't like this but I think it will be better for sports.
Old 05-16-18, 12:13 PM
All Ohio

TakedownFor2 is on a distinguished road
It passed. 450-244.

Transfers will now sit out second half of the season including post season

Last edited by TakedownFor2; 05-16-18 at 12:27 PM. Reason: changed not to now
Old 05-16-18, 12:24 PM
All Region

Blast82.5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakedownFor2 View Post
It passed. 450-244.

Transfers will not sit out second half of the season.
I think you mean "Transfers will NOW sit out second half of the season."
Old 05-16-18, 12:26 PM
Varsity

escape1 is on a distinguished road
That makes more sense!
Old 05-16-18, 12:27 PM
All Ohio

TakedownFor2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast82.5 View Post
I think you mean "Transfers will NOW sit out second half of the season."
yes thank you
Old 05-16-18, 12:34 PM
All American

I figured it would pass. Great for all High School sports.
Old 05-16-18, 12:48 PM
Varsity

LS2019 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gableminded View Post
I really hope this passes, I'm sure schools like Lasalle and Brecksville won't like this but I think it will be better for sports.
I think its hilarious how every time something happens Lasalle gets dragged into it. If you think this is going to impact Lasalle, with the exception of Skinner recently please name all the others that transferred into lasalle and had sit out.
Old 05-16-18, 01:04 PM
All District

stall it out is on a distinguished road
The recruiting train has just seized up on the tracks... Eds, LaSalle, Legacy, and other private schools, along with Elyria, Brecksville, and Wadsworth are in for a rude awakening.
Old 05-16-18, 01:11 PM
All Ohio

LHS WRESTLING is on a distinguished road
Does this impact open enrollment as well?

My opinion is it will only deter kids who are going to be seniors from transferring...kids will now just transfer at a quicker rate at the lower levels.

I do think you will have more "fudged" addresses now. Again, my opinion only.
Old 05-16-18, 01:17 PM
All District

tantal is on a distinguished road
More crap from OSHAA. Why not just make them sit out the whole year? Or, better yet, make the transfer student not play at all after transferring? What a ridiculous rule. Also, this won't hurt Ed's and the like at all. It will hurt normal athletes looking for better situations, but not the powerhouse schools and the superstar kids. The "crazy parents" will simply move, or find a way around this.
Old 05-16-18, 01:23 PM
All District

SCORE2WIN is on a distinguished road
It could also hurt the public schools. If you have a kid that was even remotely thinking about a private school, now they may go ahead and go to the private school at the beginning of the freshmen year then they can give it a try and see if they like it. If not they can go back to their home school with no penalty at all. So the private schools could use this to their advantage and get the kids in the door and love em up to keep them there.
Old 05-16-18, 01:34 PM
Junior Varsity

executive director is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORE2WIN View Post
It could also hurt the public schools. If you have a kid that was even remotely thinking about a private school, now they may go ahead and go to the private school at the beginning of the freshmen year then they can give it a try and see if they like it. If not they can go back to their home school with no penalty at all. So the private schools could use this to their advantage and get the kids in the door and love em up to keep them there.
That's how it would appear. If the school doesn't workout, it's easy to claim financial hardship and you get your free pass. I see this as an uptick in private school enrollment.
Old 05-16-18, 01:45 PM
Freshman

CBHS.net is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantal View Post
More crap from OSHAA. Why not just make them sit out the whole year? Or, better yet, make the transfer student not play at all after transferring? What a ridiculous rule. Also, this won't hurt Ed's and the like at all. It will hurt normal athletes looking for better situations, but not the powerhouse schools and the superstar kids. The "crazy parents" will simply move, or find a way around this.
Agree, this will hurt the public schools. Private teams are pretty much set-up from the get-go. It'll hurt the living-with-the-coach types, or as you said, the "crazy parents" type.
Old 05-16-18, 02:33 PM
All Region

mataddict is on a distinguished road
“Loss of freedom seldom happens overnight. Oppression doesn't stand on the doorstep with toothbrush moustache and swastika armband - it creeps up insidiously... step by step, and all of a sudden the unfortunate citizen realizes that it is gone.”
Old 05-16-18, 02:35 PM
All District

Crimsonblooded is on a distinguished road
I just think the decision will just be made earlier or parents will move. Besides if you do transfer before your freshman year you still have an option to go back to your home school district.
Old 05-16-18, 02:37 PM
All District

I'd love to see a breakdown of how schools voted. Is that available anywhere? I guess more out of curiosity.
Old 05-16-18, 02:39 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_OH Sports View Post
Plenty of coaches may agree, my guess is none of the kids do! When will the results be announced?
An excellent point. But, you know, it's not really about the kids.
Old 05-16-18, 03:40 PM
Junior Varsity

Down Block is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS2019 View Post
I think its hilarious how every time something happens Lasalle gets dragged into it. If you think this is going to impact Lasalle, with the exception of Skinner recently please name all the others that transferred into lasalle and had sit out.
LS, I think he mentions Lasalle due to the speculation of all the transfers rumored to be coming. Obviously you listed Skinner, who transferred under the now past transfer rule and will only have to sit the first half of the season/points. The others rumored (correctly or not) will most likely not come under the new rule. Regarding current roster, I'm not aware of anyone besides Skinner that transferred in...there are those that have transferred out, but that is a different topic.
Old 05-16-18, 04:06 PM
All Yappi

bucksman will become famous soon enough
If we are to view high school sports as a school-based/community-based activity, I think this is a good rule. The endemic free agency within high school sports - whether it's public or private, I don't care - is not good in my opinion (especially some of the stuff you see in basketball, which was the impetus for the rule IMO). If you want open season free agency, take sports out of the schools and move it to a club model.
Old 05-16-18, 04:23 PM
All Ohio

roughedge is on a distinguished road
There are 11 exceptions in the transfer bylaw, the most common being a change of residence into a new school district, which grant immediate eligibility............

Parents will just moves into districts they want to attend. This is not stopping anything if a parent and child want to transfer. Now if you move what is the range can I move next city over or what is the new rules say on distance.
Old 05-16-18, 05:33 PM
All Ohio

wrestlfan is on a distinguished road
this wont effect st. eds at all. How many wrestlers from eds have EVER come in after their freshman year?
Old 05-16-18, 05:37 PM
All Region

Blast82.5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
If we are to view high school sports as a school-based/community-based activity, I think this is a good rule. The endemic free agency within high school sports - whether it's public or private, I don't care - is not good in my opinion (especially some of the stuff you see in basketball, which was the impetus for the rule IMO). If you want open season free agency, take sports out of the schools and move it to a club model.
100% agree.

I think this is largely the feeling that is behind many peoples' angst when they argue against the pervasive "they are just doing what is best for the kid." Maybe we are beyond the community model, and people are just "rooting for laundry" at the local level as they do at the college/pro level, but that could be accommodated by the club model.
Old 05-16-18, 06:11 PM
All Region

Dead Issue is on a distinguished road
I have watched this sport grow into its own monster over the last 50 years. I can attest to the growing persistence of recruiting. However, I cannot see a simple rule like this having any bearing on the finality of a families decision that aims to be a part of greatness. As stated, most will simply make their decision earlier. Those that decide to move after their freshman year will simply move. Many will roll their eyes, but wrestling with one of the elite programs in the state of Ohio can yield a huge savings in the cost of higher education, not to mention the shear exposure that it brings the athletes. College expenses have sky rocketed in the last 40 years. The parents that view the sport as a priority in the family will seek the best rooms, coaches, and schedules. It will not change. One could argue that a student can get a good education at a number of schools in any given area. The same cannot be said about a wrestling 'education' however. The best all seem to find themselves wrestling in one room. Who are we to judge families looking to "better" their own situation by relocating to a better wrestling school if the education is the same. After high school ends these young men are off to college. The "community" you are speaking about isn't going to take care of them. It really becomes a dog eat dog world. So, I am of the opinion that families should do whats best for them. Relocating for a better situation is a wise decision. The incoming freshman class should choose wisely. Education is important but with all things being equal, their is little reason to go it alone. Seek the best room you can. If you look at the leaders of Ohio {Saint Edwards}, it's not hard to see that iron sharpens iron. The best continue to be drawn to that room because they know that the staff, the schedule, and the practice partners will help them reach the top of the podium. I don't see this rule being a deterrent, It shouldn't be. Families that want the best have always traveled, nothing should change with this rule.
Old 05-16-18, 06:46 PM
Junior Varsity

wayt119 is on a distinguished road
Don’t you have to move 50+ miles to be eligible if you move?
Old 05-16-18, 08:15 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORE2WIN View Post
Absolutely, but I think this goes for open enrollment in public schools too. More options to transfer before freshman year.
Old 05-16-18, 08:17 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayt119 View Post
Don’t you have to move 50+ miles to be eligible if you move?
I think some uncommitted coach started that one!
Old 05-16-18, 08:27 PM
All American

darthmalice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Issue View Post
I have watched this sport grow into its own monster over the last 50 years. I can attest to the growing persistence of recruiting. However, I cannot see a simple rule like this having any bearing on the finality of a families decision that aims to be a part of greatness. As stated, most will simply make their decision earlier. Those that decide to move after their freshman year will simply move. Many will roll their eyes, but wrestling with one of the elite programs in the state of Ohio can yield a huge savings in the cost of higher education, not to mention the shear exposure that it brings the athletes. College expenses have sky rocketed in the last 40 years. The parents that view the sport as a priority in the family will seek the best rooms, coaches, and schedules. It will not change. One could argue that a student can get a good education at a number of schools in any given area. The same cannot be said about a wrestling 'education' however. The best all seem to find themselves wrestling in one room. Who are we to judge families looking to "better" their own situation by relocating to a better wrestling school if the education is the same. After high school ends these young men are off to college. The "community" you are speaking about isn't going to take care of them. It really becomes a dog eat dog world. So, I am of the opinion that families should do whats best for them. Relocating for a better situation is a wise decision. The incoming freshman class should choose wisely. Education is important but with all things being equal, their is little reason to go it alone. Seek the best room you can. If you look at the leaders of Ohio {Saint Edwards}, it's not hard to see that iron sharpens iron. The best continue to be drawn to that room because they know that the staff, the schedule, and the practice partners will help them reach the top of the podium. I don't see this rule being a deterrent, It shouldn't be. Families that want the best have always traveled, nothing should change with this rule.
Well said.