Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-08-18, 06:49 PM
All World

MPhillips will become famous soon enough

Last edited by MPhillips; 05-10-18 at 07:47 AM.
Old 05-08-18, 06:50 PM
All District

Crab Ride is on a distinguished road
I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again. High School coaches should not be on here or any forum talking about other kids or other programs. When you’re a coach, especially at a private school and repeatedly say things like I know wrestler X and his family and they are such great people, etc, it can easily be misconstrued.
Old 05-08-18, 07:09 PM
Freshman

TheRealWjjsj is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crab Ride View Post
Iíve said it once and Iíll say it again. High School coaches should not be on here or any forum talking about other kids or other programs. When youíre a coach, especially at a private school and repeatedly say things like I know wrestler X and his family and they are such great people, etc, it can easily be misconstrued.
I remember the days it was Moeller people cried about..

Somebody call the waaahhhmbulance!

Old 05-08-18, 07:46 PM
Freshman

Whatever44 is on a distinguished road
Well I heard that the Dad Coaches tear the tags off of mattresses and pillows. The kids at Legacy Christian are taught to hate puppies. The horror!
Old 05-09-18, 05:41 AM
All District

Backsidetilt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob77 View Post
Is Disalvo a dad? I do believe he was the named head coach last year, and I believe he coached the entire year pretty much in the practice room, and he coached at the the State tournament. I don't believe he is a dad.

Is Mr. Pink allowed to do anything he wants because he is the "club junior high coach" and not technically on the school team's staff? Do you simply have to call anything "club" that might be a violation and that makes it ok? I mean really, is that all you have to do?

And Mr. Root, I do believe LaSalle's name has been repeatedly mentioned in regards to landing a couple existing Legacy wrestlers. Sort of seems interesting that you are on this thread, sticking your nose in Legacy's business, all the while throwing nice compliments in here and there about a few Legacy people that you know.

Just sayin
Either get on the train or watch it go by! Lol
Old 05-09-18, 12:22 PM
All District

TuPac is on a distinguished road
I thought Disalvo was the Thomas Moore coach?
Old 05-09-18, 12:50 PM
All American

Coach Root is on a distinguished road
Quote:
And Mr. Root, I do believe LaSalle's name has been repeatedly mentioned in regards to landing a couple existing Legacy wrestlers. Sort of seems interesting that you are on this thread, sticking your nose in Legacy's business, all the while throwing nice compliments in here and there about a few Legacy people that you know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crab Ride View Post
I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again. High School coaches should not be on here or any forum talking about other kids or other programs. When you’re a coach, especially at a private school and repeatedly say things like I know wrestler X and his family and they are such great people, etc, it can easily be misconstrued.
I'm not going to deny a friendship just because I'm a head coach at a different school. I can still wish them well. There is more to life than wrestling... I've known some of these families for 10-12 years. They are good friends. Why is it wrong to come on here and chime in on what they are building? If you haven't read... I'm not bashing them.

You are entitled to your opinion about my posts or the fact that I post at all. Everyone on here knows who I am. I don't hide behind a screen name, nor do I think that because I'm a coach I should stay off a thread. I know A LOT of coaches that are on yappi daily. I know A LOT of coaches that are posting daily. Many just aren't signing their names.
Yappi is a great source of information.

As stated before I wish Legacy well, not sure why the wrestling community is so insistent on tearing down any program that tries to build themselves up. The sport needs support.

Coach Root
Old 05-09-18, 08:34 PM
All American

darthmalice is on a distinguished road
Agree Coach Root. We all need to focus our attention and unite against the bigger issue( the sport of wrestling is targeted for extinction). The attempt to get rid of Olympic wrestling wasn't enough to stop the feuding of which kid this school or that school has, so Eastern Michigan decides to drop their program and still we are blind to the real threat. We are concerned about fair competition, but there will be fewer opportunities for the kids to compete in college as programs look for more ways to drop the sport. The cost of things and debts of this country is bleeding bad and sports like wrestling will become a scape goat. Then in the future threads like this will be irrelevant. Wrestling community unite.
Old 05-09-18, 11:20 PM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
From my standpoint (as a coach, without a current contract) most who write comments on here are either complimenting other team's wrestlers, promoting a camp they're throwing, trying to fill a schedule or joking with each other. I can't recall many times coaches I know have gotten on here and did anything harmful. You always find yourself rooting for other kids as long as one of yours isn't in the match. Usually it's because you've dealt with said kid as he grew up through wrestling.
Old 05-11-18, 09:24 PM
All District

stall it out is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkett View Post
Dayton Christian is not a fair comparison to Legacy. Legacy does things the right way. Mr. Pink, Magenta, or whatever you want to call him has been a very dedicated parent who truly cares about the program. Legacy set up a club program to avoid conflicts and issues. "Mr. Pink" has only had involvement in the club part of the program, which means he is not on the school program's staff. He has been very diligent to follow rules and do things the right way!
The one parent I spoke to from Legacy wasn't exactly singing Mr. Pinks praises nor did he sound like he really cared about the program. He was irritated that the focus was not on the boys in the room; it was on bringing in others to purposely knock out guys they already have to gain complete control. He said that Pink planned on being on staff and that he'll be talking with every person that he can about it at Legacy until certain people are gone. It sounds like it's about to turn into a three ring circus. Popcorn in lap.
Old 05-16-18, 01:01 PM
All District

With the OHSA ruling today, the incoming freshman are going to have to gamble on their future. Do they risk a year in hopes that this thing takes off like Mr. Pink says? Does another Mr. Purple blow the wind out of the sales with his claims that recruiting has run wild at LC, as Pink and Associates look to recruit over top of his son? A similar situation led to the demise of DC. Things just got a little more interesting.
Old 05-16-18, 01:09 PM
All Ohio

TakedownFor2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by stall it out View Post
With the OHSA ruling today, the incoming freshman are going to have to gamble on their future. Do they risk a year in hopes that this thing takes off like Mr. Pink says? Does another Mr. Purple blow the wind out of the sales with his claims that recruiting has run wild at LC, as Pink and Associates look to recruit over top of his son? A similar situation led to the demise of DC. Things just got a little more interesting.
It would be my understanding that they are all eligible right away as an incoming freshman for the entire year and that you can not be labeled a "transfer" until you start high school.
Old 05-16-18, 01:36 PM
Junior Varsity

executive director is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakedownFor2 View Post
It would be my understanding that they are all eligible right away as an incoming freshman for the entire year and that you can not be labeled a "transfer" until you start high school.
I think stall was saying that the school choice for freshman becomes important, because IF you decide to leave or if things don't work out where you are, then you would lose one of your post seasons.
Old 05-17-18, 01:21 PM
Junior Varsity

getridofspam1 is on a distinguished road
It all depends on who you want to be. You can be a coach who focuses on the elite or you can be a coach who builds a program. Program coaches develop everyone in the room and have a system that makes everyone better. It takes boys and makes them into young men. That is what High School Sports is supposed to be. Coach McCoy is a great example of this.

Great coaches don't need to make excuses for transfer kids because they can take an average kid who works his/her way up through the system to become great. This requires the coach to have a presence at the grade school, middle school and high school level. Transfer kids take away chances from program building kids who have sacrificed through the ranks. They should be rewarded and not sacrificed for the sake of winning.
Old 05-17-18, 06:13 PM
All Region

Eagle112 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by getridofspam1 View Post
It all depends on who you want to be. You can be a coach who focuses on the elite or you can be a coach who builds a program. Program coaches develop everyone in the room and have a system that makes everyone better. It takes boys and makes them into young men. That is what High School Sports is supposed to be. Coach McCoy is a great example of this.

Great coaches don't need to make excuses for transfer kids because they can take an average kid who works his/her way up through the system to become great. This requires the coach to have a presence at the grade school, middle school and high school level. Transfer kids take away chances from program building kids who have sacrificed through the ranks. They should be rewarded and not sacrificed for the sake of winning.

Old 05-17-18, 07:44 PM
All District

Do you mean like when a club coach comes in and only works out with a 120 wrestler instead of the rest of the team? Or are you talking about when parents that aren't even in the high school program yet, decide that they are going to recruit and entire squad overtop of the current team?
Old 05-18-18, 06:22 AM
Junior Varsity

getridofspam1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by stall it out View Post
Do you mean like when a club coach comes in and only works out with a 120 wrestler instead of the rest of the team? Or are you talking about when parents that aren't even in the high school program yet, decide that they are going to recruit and entire squad overtop of the current team?
If a coach is working with 120 wrestlers then that is a pretty impressive number. Especially if they have some sort of personal connection.

My point is I've seen coaches who focus only on the elite and have no idea who the average kids are in their program. They get ignored as well as the middle and grade school kids. I know time is hard to come by but what a huge difference it makes when the High school coach visits a practice with a couple of his high school kids to show moves to these kids or talk to them.

I've also seen many many great coaches like the Jordan's who take the time to try and make a personal connection with all of the kids. I've seen so many great examples of these sorts of coaches but quite honestly I'm getting tired of the few elitist coaches and parents.

Holding your kid back or having them drop two weight classes to me is a sign of weakness that you have to run from the competition to have an advantage. Wrestle at your weight and your age group. Encouraging transfers because you can't develop kids in your room or attract them from your school is a sign of weakness. Having weight loss be a priority over school work is just stupid.
Old 05-18-18, 01:37 PM
All District

Crimsonblooded is on a distinguished road
How about parents that pay for all those camps and give their kid an unfair advantage. They grow up through a club system and have opportunity to wrestle all year long. How is that fair to those kids that do not get support from their parents or have that coach who doesnt want to put in the time let alone the extra. How do we even the playing field. Dont get me started about genetics. We have those kids that want to compete at a high level but dad and mom never had great genetics. It's all cheating in my book. Any kid that turns 18 is an adult and shouldn't be competing against underage children. If your school district has an AD who suggested on dropping wrestling and schedules basketball in the gym 1st and wrestling 2nd and the coach is not committed then how dare you transfer. What does that teach your children. You play the hand your dealt. Not because what the rules say but based on how I feel. It's weekness and a lack of integrity to go against my convictions. I have this platform to blast my opinion to complain instead of discussing wrestling. We need Ohsaa to come up with about 172 new rules. Anybody ever read Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers? Life is so unfair!
Old 05-21-18, 09:33 AM
All District

Question for the educated world of yappi.. what happens if this program is found guilty by the OHSAA for a rules violation? Regret is a terrible thing.
Old 05-21-18, 11:48 AM
All District

D3legend is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealWjjsj View Post
I remember the days it was Moeller people cried about..

Somebody call the waaahhhmbulance!

How the mighty have fallen....
Old 05-21-18, 07:29 PM
All Region

Eagle112 is on a distinguished road
Moeller is a simple issue as they will always be good. They still have all their typical Catholic kids thru the feeder system. They are just getting out Catholiced by LaSalle for the Special Mercinary type kids they used to get which makes a good team great...... This is what Legacy will try to do. Develop “Thier kids” and replace the ones that arent good enough or not progressing with Mercinary kids who can score points. I’m sure some of these kids have been in the club for a couple of years etc and are involved in the program but I have seen it plenty where parents will recruit/seek other kids that can help the team and get their kid that training partner or team title. It’s a double edge sword in those situations where loyalty is more college level of thinking. Too many want the college experience in HS. I guess it’s the experience as most of these kids won’t wrestle viable college matches so get the experience while your still good enough vs your peers.

Last edited by Eagle112; 05-21-18 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-30-18, 11:00 AM
Freshman

Jrob77 is on a distinguished road
Evidently Legacy has a loaded squad this coming season. Do they have any shot at knocking off Genoa in the D3 race?
Old 07-30-18, 11:31 AM
All World

jmog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Evidently Legacy has a loaded squad this coming season. Do they have any shot at knocking off Genoa in the D3 race?
My opinion is that not this year but in a year or two yes.
Old 07-30-18, 12:55 PM
All District

goldberg is on a distinguished road
My kid goes to his home school. He has friends who parents who have left thier school district to go elsewhere to wrestle. Who cares . This is the parents and kids choice, I truly dont get why people get into other peoples business. Good luck legacy Christian. Alot of young talent.
Old 07-30-18, 02:12 PM
All Ohio

chinwhip is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldberg View Post
My kid goes to his home school. He has friends who parents who have left thier school district to go elsewhere to wrestle. Who cares . This is the parents and kids choice, I truly dont get why people get into other peoples business. Good luck legacy Christian. Alot of young talent.
Says the guy with a screen name and 240 posts
Old 08-02-18, 10:50 AM
Freshman

heartsslayer2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Genoa is loaded this year, but 19-20 season LC will absolutely be a force and would be my preseason pick to win D3 at this point.
Old 08-02-18, 10:53 AM
All District

Smoke Screen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsslayer2 View Post
Genoa is loaded this year, but 19-20 season LC will absolutely be a force and would be my preseason pick to win D3 at this point.
Not if all their wrestlers keep leaving at the rate they have been
Old 08-02-18, 02:53 PM
All American

rjewards is on a distinguished road
ugh ugh ugh
Old 08-06-18, 12:25 PM
Junior Varsity

BSR is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Screen View Post
Not if all their wrestlers keep leaving at the rate they have been
Who besides Dillon Walker has left, so far?
Old 08-06-18, 01:15 PM
Freshman

URBANDAWGPOUND is on a distinguished road
Too many coaches worrying about other teams..worry about your own!! Who cares who moved where, etc!! If you spent more time building your own program instead of bitching about others on yappi or twitter(alot of coaches twitter and complain about their neighbors etc!)...then maybe you would get some of these kids?! Cant wait for season to start!!