Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-04-18, 11:38 AM
Freshman

Tarkett is on a distinguished road
Dayton Christian is not a fair comparison to Legacy. Legacy does things the right way. Mr. Pink, Magenta, or whatever you want to call him has been a very dedicated parent who truly cares about the program. Legacy set up a club program to avoid conflicts and issues. "Mr. Pink" has only had involvement in the club part of the program, which means he is not on the school program's staff. He has been very diligent to follow rules and do things the right way!
Old 05-04-18, 12:02 PM
All District

stall it out is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkett View Post
Dayton Christian is not a fair comparison to Legacy. Legacy does things the right way. Mr. Pink, Magenta, or whatever you want to call him has been a very dedicated parent who truly cares about the program. Legacy set up a club program to avoid conflicts and issues. "Mr. Pink" has only had involvement in the club part of the program, which means he is not on the school program's staff. He has been very diligent to follow rules and do things the right way!
Your first post is basically saying "trust us." And you're saying not to compare this to Dayton Christian? This is laughable.
Old 05-04-18, 12:55 PM
Junior Varsity

Heisenberg is on a distinguished road
It is what it is. It is a bunch of parents that want to put their kids in the best room they can. Where they can have control over the program. They will tiptoe around the rules wherever possible. They will have great results for a short period of time then the grass will be greener somewhere else. This saga has played out many times before.
Ultimately parents have the right to do whats best for their children whether the masses agree with them or not.
Honestly the only issue I have is the sugar coating that gets used- The whole "we want a parochial education". I'd be happier if people just came out and said- My kids a stud and I want him around other studs.

Old 05-04-18, 01:39 PM
All World

queencitybuckeye is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
I'd be happier if people just came out and said- My kids a stud and I want him around other studs.

Me too, and they should be allowed to do so, and anyone who doesn't like it should find a different activity for their kids.
Old 05-04-18, 02:27 PM
Varsity

LowCrotch is on a distinguished road
Legacy Christian

For the record, I donít know anything about the situation or anyone involved. I just thought I would try to make a funny.
Old 05-04-18, 02:32 PM
All World

jmog is on a distinguished road
This "rounding up the studs" by parents always happens in youth and middle school club teams. Kids travel 1.5-2 hours for practice to a club that they know all the studs will be at.

The parents will be behind the scenes making sure the kids they want there are going to be part of that club and to be honest there is no real issue there.

To believe that this doesn't or wouldn't happen on the HS level is comical. The studs' parents will physically move before HS to the public school where studs are coagulating or transfer in open enrollment or enroll in the private school.

Parents are behind it most of the time for sure.

It just is "harder" at the HS level because it is more regulated. You need to do it before 9th grade because of transfer rules and be ready to stick it out for 4 years.

In GS/JH sometimes that "group" could change from year to year where the studs were congregating.

I am NOT knocking this at all, I just stating reality. My son has placed at OAC multiple times (never won it) and wrestled on quite a few national teams at Virginia Beach, National Middle School Duals, etc.

We have been asked to join some of these GS/MS coagulating stud teams (never was the ring leader myself, just joined a team that was already being rounded up) and I truly will say that my son grew a lot as a wrestler on those teams. I have also been asked about "why don't you guys go to xyz HS next year".

It is what it is and as long as the HS portion is being done under the rules, I see no problems with it.
Old 05-04-18, 03:11 PM
Freshman

Jrob77 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmog View Post
It is what it is and as long as the HS portion is being done under the rules, I see no problems with it.
What if it is not being done "under the rules"?
Old 05-04-18, 03:22 PM
All World

jmog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob77 View Post
What if it is not being done "under the rules"?
Then there obviously is a problem, do we know LC isn't following the rules or is it just rumors/conjecture?
Old 05-04-18, 03:51 PM
All World

queencitybuckeye is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmog View Post
Then there obviously is a problem, do we know LC isn't following the rules or is it just rumors/conjecture?
If someone is successful, they must be cheating. That seems to be the mantra around here.
Old 05-04-18, 04:46 PM
All World

MPhillips will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by queencitybuckeye View Post
If someone is successful, they must be cheating. That seems to be the mantra around here.
This train of thought goes back to the early eighties with STED( I know you are aware.) Probably before that? I wasn't paying much attention to HS recruiting in '83'.
Old 05-04-18, 08:31 PM
Varsity

Legacy Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by queencitybuckeye View Post

Anybody who complains about it is either from another school that is trying to do the same thing, or they donít have a kid in the mix.

So who cares what they complain about?
Old 05-04-18, 09:25 PM
All District

wresfan is on a distinguished road
Anyobe have a lineup
Old 05-05-18, 06:59 AM
Varsity

KYcats is on a distinguished road
I'm sure this is off. I'm not even sure if all these kids will land at LC. If they do LC could make a run in D3. They also have some newer kids in the upper weights not sure of their names.
106 Matt Ellis
113 Logan Attisano
120 Gavin Brown
126 Cameron Lacure
132 Sean Conway
138 Duece Brown
145 Nicolas Alvarez
152 Jake Niffengger
160 Dillon Walker
170 Noah Duke

Last edited by KYcats; 05-05-18 at 07:22 AM.
Old 05-05-18, 08:46 AM
All District

Crab Ride is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYcats View Post
I'm sure this is off. I'm not even sure if all these kids will land at LC. If they do LC could make a run in D3. They also have some newer kids in the upper weights not sure of their names.
106 Matt Ellis
113 Logan Attisano
120 Gavin Brown
126 Cameron Lacure
132 Sean Conway
138 Duece Brown
145 Nicolas Alvarez
152 Jake Niffengger
160 Dillon Walker
170 Noah Duke
Where do you see the Magenta kid fitting in the lineup?
Old 05-05-18, 09:34 AM
Varsity

KYcats is on a distinguished road
I don’t see a Magenta or Pink, but I see another color in the lineup.
Old 05-05-18, 10:22 AM
All District

Crab Ride is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYcats View Post
I donít see a Magenta or Pink, but I see another color in the lineup.
A lot of people seem to be seeing red.
Old 05-07-18, 10:16 AM
Junior Varsity

BigArlie8 is on a distinguished road
All I know is I wish Legacy the best of luck. It brings another group of good wrestlers to the table in D3 and that is just good for the sport. My son has wrestled with all of these boys for awhile now and they are all great kids that just want to compete. I cant wait to see some of the matchups next season. There will be some good wrestling in all of D3.
Old 05-07-18, 12:39 PM
All Ohio

TakedownFor2 is on a distinguished road
I'd be willing to bet that Legacy Christian Academy is not concerned with the thoughts of people on Yappi. They are doing their best to build state champions. If there is an issue I am sure it will be handled with accordingly. But to sit back and continuously throw jab after jab is just (Cue the dead horse MPHILLIPS or Elliot) a waste of time. These families are investing in their child, the same way that kids who goto Eds, Graham, Brecskville, Elyria, LaSalle etc. They are putting their child in the place they feel for them to be most successful.
Old 05-07-18, 06:36 PM
All World

MPhillips will become famous soon enough
This thread was almost gone. It hadn't quite warranted the, 'horse' yet. Folks found the Princeton thread and jumped on that one.
Yappi is a Fickell (Maybe the 2nd best ever in Ohio history.) group.
Old 05-07-18, 07:53 PM
Varsity

luv2wrestle is on a distinguished road
Legacy Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crab Ride View Post
A lot of people seem to be seeing red.

I think theyíre seeing green

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-18, 08:37 AM
All American

Coach Root is on a distinguished road
This doesn't seem all that complicated:

Johnny's dad introduces him to wrestling.
Johnny likes wrestling.
Johnny's dad takes him to a club to get more advanced technique and better partners.
Johnny begins traveling the country with his club.
Johnny gets better.
Johnny has to choose a high school.
Johnny decides that wrestling is a priority.
Johnny's dad says that he can choose his school.
Johnny chooses the high school that will help him accomplish his goals as his father has instilled in him prior.
Johnny picks a school with good partners, a good staff, and a good schedule.
Johnny wins a state title.

Someone in the stands talks about how Johnny should be wrestling at their kids school but got recruited.

I am at a private school now, but I've said the same thing for years... These young men aren't real estate that can be owned. They aren't locked into one location or program simply based on geography. The best wrestlers often have excessive (crazy) parents. Those parents are willing to make the move to help their kids accomplish their goals. Label it any way you want... but that's sacrifice in my book. You either provide these young men with what they need or they will seek it out. I know this will ruffle some feathers, but it's the reality of life. A good crop of partners, a good schedule and a good staff is hard to come by these days. Some schools are focused on hiring within rather than seeking the best candidate. Some schools don't have the funds to travel to the better tournaments. Some schools don't have the depth in the room to push the better kids. And before anyone starts screaming about loyalty... give it a rest. Name one of those loyal programs that are going to pay for a kids college education. That comes out of the families pocket, so why bash them for choosing a situation that they feels helps that problem. We aren't talking about average Joe, we are talking about the better wrestlers, or at least those that aim to be. They are seeking out the best. An eighth grader has a choice to make... he can stay home or look to an open enrollment option. Why bash a kid or family for wanting the most for their kid? There are no guarantees in life, so all you can do is put yourself in the best possible situation.

I'm not privy to the ins and outs of Legacy, I know some of the families involved, but that's the extent. It seems to be a group of dads looking to do things for their kids. They weren't happy with their respective school situation and decided to seek out another opportunity. They looked at their options and decided on Legacy. How is that a bad thing? The only negative I can say is that it's a young program and with young programs it take a few years to get things going as a team. If they are willing to take the risk, why bash them? The sure bet would be Graham... and a lot of these kids are capable of wrestling there as well. They chose Legacy. What's the problem with a group of people trying to build something on their own?

Coach Root

Last edited by Coach Root; 05-08-18 at 09:26 AM.
Old 05-08-18, 10:14 AM
All American

Dionysus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Root View Post
What's the problem with a group of people trying to build something on their own?
No one likes or has respect for cheaters. Illegally recruiting is an OHSAA violation, but unfortunately, it is difficult to prove.
Old 05-08-18, 10:25 AM
All American

mailman112 is on a distinguished road
If any of you think this is a private public thing you are dead wrong! Go ask Elyria and Brecksville just to name two about recruiting. There are more but no reason to get into all the details. IF the new rule passes the public schools will be effected far more then the privates. Stop complaining and keep your kids home. If you build a program they will stay. If you don't they will go elsewhere. Just the facts. Stop crying about recruiting and worry about building a program.
Old 05-08-18, 01:40 PM
All Ohio

craceman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman112 View Post
If any of you think this is a private public thing you are dead wrong! Go ask Elyria and Brecksville just to name two about recruiting. There are more but no reason to get into all the details. IF the new rule passes the public schools will be effected far more then the privates. Stop complaining and keep your kids home. If you build a program they will stay. If you don't they will go elsewhere. Just the facts. Stop crying about recruiting and worry about building a program.
Bam!! Mic Drop!!!
Old 05-08-18, 02:59 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
No one likes or has respect for cheaters. Illegally recruiting is an OHSAA violation, but unfortunately, it is difficult to prove.
I can agree with you with regards to respecting a cheater... but how is it cheating? The way I see it, a group of dads, none of which are on the staff based on what I'm reading, decided to build something. They literally just hired the coach in the last couple of months, while most of the kids have been there for a couple of years. I just don't see how it's an OHSAA violation. I see dads that are wanting workout partners and teammates for their kids. That's what I see...

Coach Root
Old 05-08-18, 03:02 PM
Junior Varsity

executive director is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I can agree with you with regards to respecting a cheater... but how is it cheating? The way I see it, a group of dads, none of which are on the staff based on what I'm reading, decided to build something. They literally just hired the coach in the last couple of months, while most of the kids have been there for a couple of years. I just don't see how it's an OHSAA violation. I see dads that are wanting workout partners and teammates for their kids. That's what I see...

Coach Root
I guess the recruiters need to stick together (lol). You're telling me that you think this is on the up and up? Not picking fights; just asking an honest question.
Old 05-08-18, 03:06 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post

Let me guess...you either:

A) Donít have a child who is currently wrestling; or
B) Your child goes to a school that wants to compete with schools like Legacy.

Right?
Old 05-08-18, 03:15 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by executive director View Post
I guess the recruiters need to stick together (lol). You're telling me that you think this is on the up and up? Not picking fights; just asking an honest question.

I know you were not asking me, but absolutely!

By the way, it happens in every high school sport, academically, for the band, gymnastics, everything. High school is the new college. You send your children where they have the best chance to succeed. I have four kids, none HS aged yet. But I plan to give them every opportunity that I can to put them in the best situation for them. Regardless of geography.
Old 05-08-18, 03:24 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by executive director View Post
Honestly, what I think is meaningless. I thought I would chime in... I'll gladly bow out of this one. My opinion before I go...I think that parents are the driving force in most recruiting situations - not coaches. I also think it's different than everyone wants to believe. The parents give insight on how things are run and how well a certain individual would fit into their sons lineup, etcetera. Parents talk to parents sitting in the stands... at open mats, at events, and in person. It only becomes an issue when the brilliant people on yappi decide to try and tear down programs making their claims. It only hurts the kids.
Do I think Legacy is recruiting? Don't know, don't care. They practiced with us almost every day when I was at Mason. Didn't seem that way to me. It was a bunch of kids looking to work hard. Do I think it's different now? Sure... they have more people involved... Anyone with half a brain knows that parents want to surround themselves with quality people. That's what's happening. That's not a bad thing.
The only issue becomes will they get things running on all 8 cylinders quickly. As quickly as these teams seem to come together...it really does take time to build a sustainable program. They have had great success, but it was at the hands of three individuals the first year and three individuals the second year, with 2 new bodies during their sophomore campaign. Which brings up the biggest concern for the program, at any given point, families can decide to seek out what they perceive to be a "better" option.
Personally, I wish them well. I know some great people sending their sons to Legacy.

Coach Root
Old 05-08-18, 06:42 PM
Freshman

Jrob77 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The way I see it, a group of dads, none of which are on the staff based on what I'm reading, decided to build something.
Is Disalvo a dad? I do believe he was the named head coach last year, and I believe he coached the entire year pretty much in the practice room, and he coached at the the State tournament. I don't believe he is a dad.

Is Mr. Pink allowed to do anything he wants because he is the "club junior high coach" and not technically on the school team's staff? Do you simply have to call anything "club" that might be a violation and that makes it ok? I mean really, is that all you have to do?

And Mr. Root, I do believe LaSalle's name has been repeatedly mentioned in regards to landing a couple existing Legacy wrestlers. Sort of seems interesting that you are on this thread, sticking your nose in Legacy's business, all the while throwing nice compliments in here and there about a few Legacy people that you know.

Just sayin