Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-23-18, 07:09 PM
Varsity

StowInTheKnow is on a distinguished road
Gilmour Boys Basketball job open

Happened today. Retiring from coaching
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-18, 08:42 PM
All American

C'Town216 is on a distinguished road
Won’t be surprised if O’Tool takes over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-18, 09:51 PM
All Ohio

Over The Hills is on a distinguished road
Coach Pfundstein stepping down is a bummer at GIlmour Academy.

19 years? as head coach at his Alma Mater.

As a player he led GA to the state championship game and runner up finish in 1992 I think.
He will continue to be Dean of Students and the kids love him.

Word is he is burnt and needs a break after so many years of goin hard.
Has young kids so time appears right.
Best of luck to the coach.

Old 04-23-18, 09:57 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by C'Town216 View Post
Won’t be surprised if O’Tool takes over

This is the immediate knee jerk reaction and would say is a possible scenario.

I have no insider info but it seems logical.

This is a great HC job for the right guy.
Joining NCL next year.....already was playing most of the top teams anyway so might as well.

Cupboard is not bare at all.

Old 04-24-18, 06:45 AM
All American

Definitely a pretty good job for the right person, I’m thinking O’Tool would be a great fit because his current status GA and also his track record as the head coach at Euclid and Ignatius. And there are plenty good coaches around the area too that GA can go after. Glad to have them in the NCL.

Old 04-24-18, 07:21 AM
All District

Rusty Anchor is an unknown quantity at this point
He was a class act and will be missed in the coaching community
Old 04-24-18, 07:21 AM
All District

Rusty Anchor is an unknown quantity at this point
Not sure how great of a job it is though...Tough to recruit and get athletes in with the high tuition.
Old 04-24-18, 07:32 AM
All District

NewJacketCity is on a distinguished road
Wonder what kind of coach $25K a year gets you?
Old 04-24-18, 07:57 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Anchor View Post
Not sure how great of a job it is though...Tough to recruit and get athletes in with the high tuition.
They have enough financial aid available that they can meet the needs of anyone they want.
Old 04-26-18, 09:02 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
They have enough financial aid available that they can meet the needs of anyone they want.
Gilmour basically matches the tuition at the other Catholic schools when needed. And they could care less if you play a sport or just take up a seat, it is what all the Prep schools do in CLE these days to keep enrollment figures at a certain level.

Gilmour's biggest challenge is getting urban kids out to the school, same issue Walsh has in Akron. Much closer for a kid in Cleveland or an inner ring 'burb to get to VASJ, Benedictine, St. Ignatius, or CCC, than to Gates Mills.
Old 04-26-18, 12:26 PM
All District

brusharc1986 is on a distinguished road
I'm hearing that VASJ coach Babe Kwasniak is making a run at the job. One of the newspaper guys I have on the payroll told me that he has reached out to him to gauge the level of mutual interest. He is trying to present it as a package deal bringing his 8th grade son as well. I've heard this rumor dating all the way back to when Gilmour AD Sean O'Toole was spotted sitting behind the VASJ bench at a game in the early season. I didn't think much of it at that time since I was reading in the paper about how much Babe loved the new athletic director and the new found support. Seems that the annual tradition of Babe being upset with the AD and the administration has come early this year. We shall see what happens, but it is hard to imagine a guy with so much baggage would be a fit at Gilmour.
Old 04-26-18, 12:34 PM
Varsity

farnsworth420 is on a distinguished road
Babe would be a nice hire for GA.
Old 04-27-18, 04:40 PM
All World

Bball216 is an unknown quantity at this point
Tough job. I can see Sean taking the job possibly. He has a son who will be a senior and a daughter heading there in a year or so. The tough part is getting the kids needed to win into the school and finding those families that can afford it. Joe's had a lot of talent the next few years and an absolutely loaded freshman class heading there. You combine that with SVSM going D1 and Joe's is right back in state contention. Gilmour is losing a lot of talent to graduation. The school is also viewed by most people as being a school of privileged white kids so it is not appealing to inner city kids. The problem has always been attracting talent and finances. They have had some solid teams the last few years and have played solid basketball - they just never have the players to go to that next level. Can't see Babe going to a school like that because of the above reasons - especially with what he has returning the next few years. Gilmour is a nice school with great facilities- but it's not Joe's. Joe's is one of if not the best HS hoops job in Ohio. The tradition is rivaled only by the greatest programs in Ohio history. I could not see Babe at a stuffy school like that. O'Toole coached at Iggy so he is used to that kind of atmosphere, players and alumni. Should be interesting to see who applies.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Sport Forums smart
Old 04-30-18, 09:07 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bball216 View Post
Tough job. I can see Sean taking the job possibly. He has a son who will be a senior and a daughter heading there in a year or so. The tough part is getting the kids needed to win into the school and finding those families that can afford it. Joe's had a lot of talent the next few years and an absolutely loaded freshman class heading there. You combine that with SVSM going D1 and Joe's is right back in state contention. Gilmour is losing a lot of talent to graduation. The school is also viewed by most people as being a school of privileged white kids so it is not appealing to inner city kids. The problem has always been attracting talent and finances. They have had some solid teams the last few years and have played solid basketball - they just never have the players to go to that next level. Can't see Babe going to a school like that because of the above reasons - especially with what he has returning the next few years. Gilmour is a nice school with great facilities- but it's not Joe's. Joe's is one of if not the best HS hoops job in Ohio. The tradition is rivaled only by the greatest programs in Ohio history. I could not see Babe at a stuffy school like that. O'Toole coached at Iggy so he is used to that kind of atmosphere, players and alumni. Should be interesting to see who applies.

Bball, your use of stereotypes here is in poor taste. I can tell you, as someone that has their finger on the pulse of the Cedar Road corridor and more importantly someone who has battled stereotypes all their life, your calling Gilmour stuffy lacks substance and validity.

Despite your hurtful and shameful rhetoric here you do bring up a good point. I can't see why Babe would be interested in doing at a job like Gilmour. He just basically hand picked the new athletic director at VASJ. He has carte blanche seemingly since he has retained his position as basketball coach despite his transgressions. He has dollars rolling in from his speaking engagements as Director of Leadership. I don't get it.

His allegiance with the athletic director Sean O'Toole there withstanding, it really makes no sense. I mean, he is at VASJ, one of the greatest jobs in the state and yet seemingly every off season he makes an overture at a local job. Something doesn't add up to me.
Old 04-30-18, 02:10 PM
Freshman

Carol Danvers is on a distinguished road
I think the younger O'Toole is going to be a junior and CJ Charleston is a quite a talent.
Old 04-30-18, 02:52 PM
All Ohio

Look Ma No Hands is on a distinguished road
If Babe Kwas is "interested" in this job, it is only for one or two reasons. 1) To use for some kind of leverage at VASJ, or 2) He wants to impress people.... "look, GA wants me." In either case, he's not taking the Gilmour Academy job.
Old 04-30-18, 04:26 PM
All World

Arc - for somebody who has his finger on the pulse you are in the dark. You dont think Gilmour and Iggy are viewed by outsiders as rich white schools for privileged kids. I'm not saying all the kids that go their are because I know and have known many at both schools - but that is the opinion. People know what those schools cost and there is automatically an assumption right or wrong that goes with that price tag. If you dont think there is an arrogance at Iggy and that many feel they are better then other schools - your finger is not on the pulse, its elsewhere. Gilmour is a great school with very high academic standards - but please dont kid yourself that a vast majority of those students walking the halls are from very well off families. There are not many people in the inner city or suburbs of Cleveland that can either afford Gilmour or that would feel comfortable there. Just like Joe's, Lake, Ed's, Benny and others are not the right fit for everybody - Iggy and Gilmour are not either. Kids are smart. They know where they fit in and belong - they dont need adults telling them. You are ultimately judged on winning and losing and it's not easy there. This years team was very good and that is about the ceiling you will get there. That will always be the challenge at Gilmour, getting the athletes needed to win.

Old 05-01-18, 02:19 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol Danvers View Post
I think the younger O'Toole is going to be a junior and CJ Charleston is a quite a talent.
This is true.

I think the team will be better next season that it was this year....even without the Sr. forward going off to college.
Depends on who the coach is and if he can get it done.
There is enough talent there to win.

JV was 19-3 against a good schedule....with 4 freshman eating a huge chunk of quality playing time.
Freshman class is quality and deep.
More kids coming this fall.

There are A LOT of good players in the program.
Gonna be fun to watch.
Old 05-01-18, 02:35 PM
All Ohio

I love when people stereotype but really don't know what they think they know.

There are snobs and stuffy type know it alls EVERYWHERE.

Even on Yappi.
Old 05-01-18, 03:07 PM
All American

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
With all due respect, but may I ask why tuition is so high (30k) at Gilmour Academy? And furthermore, how parents could justify that price tag for what is essentially just high school? Because I don't get it.
Old 05-02-18, 08:56 AM
Junior Varsity

FlannMann87 is on a distinguished road
Have to wonder if O'toole had anything to do with the coach stepping down. A lot of comments last year about who was actually coaching the team. Have to wonder how the next guy will handle essentially having his boss sitting next to him every game. Not an ideal situation for a coach.
Old 05-02-18, 10:46 AM
All District

sprtsfan247 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlannMann87 View Post
Have to wonder if O'toole had anything to do with the coach stepping down. A lot of comments last year about who was actually coaching the team. Have to wonder how the next guy will handle essentially having his boss sitting next to him every game. Not an ideal situation for a coach.
If that is the case then why wouldn't O'Toole take the job? It wouldn't make sense for a guy to sit there and try to make all the calls when he has a chance to be the guy.........who makes all the calls.

If he doesn't want to be the HC and hires someone else to be HC then that person be the head coach.
Old 05-02-18, 06:01 PM
All World

O'Toole you have to think is in play. You have a kid who will be a senior and a daughter on her way there. I'm sure their is a HUGE tuition break if you work at the school - if you even pay at all. That alone is attractive because of the education that school would provide your kid. O'Toole is already involved pretty heavy so actually coaching the team is not much more of a stretch. That being said I agree with FlannMann in that any coach who takes the job has to deal with a AD who is considered an elite coach sitting on the bench in games and watching every practice. That is not something many coaches will be comfortable with.
Old 05-02-18, 09:31 PM
All Ohio

MugnMaul78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by brusharc1986 View Post
Bball, your use of stereotypes here is in poor taste. I can tell you, as someone that has their finger on the pulse of the Cedar Road corridor and more importantly someone who has battled stereotypes all their life, your calling Gilmour stuffy lacks substance and validity.

Despite your hurtful and shameful rhetoric here you do bring up a good point. I can't see why Babe would be interested in doing at a job like Gilmour. He just basically hand picked the new athletic director at VASJ. He has carte blanche seemingly since he has retained his position as basketball coach despite his transgressions. He has dollars rolling in from his speaking engagements as Director of Leadership. I don't get it.

His allegiance with the athletic director Sean O'Toole there withstanding, it really makes no sense. I mean, he is at VASJ, one of the greatest jobs in the state and yet seemingly every off season he makes an overture at a local job. Something doesn't add up to me.
He did not pick the VASJ AD, that is a fact. None of the VASJ coaches were involved in the process, the pick was made by the President and Principle. Whether Babe is interested in the job or not, who knows. But with that said, he doesn't owe VASJ anything. Babe has done more for VASJ and donated more to VASJ in the last 8 years than you and your little friends have done in your lifetime combined. The only thing I do know, is that you still have Babe Derangement Syndrome. Yes it is a disease and you still need professional help. Seriously, get some help and move on with your life.
Old 05-03-18, 08:49 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugnMaul78 View Post
He did not pick the VASJ AD, that is a fact. None of the VASJ coaches were involved in the process, the pick was made by the President and Principle. Whether Babe is interested in the job or not, who knows. But with that said, he doesn't owe VASJ anything. Babe has done more for VASJ and donated more to VASJ in the last 8 years than you and your little friends have done in your lifetime combined. The only thing I do know, is that you still have Babe Derangement Syndrome. Yes it is a disease and you still need professional help. Seriously, get some help and move on with your life.
I can hear the sadness in your tone. It is all happening around you. You are slowly realizing the fraudulence of your situation and the sadness is overcoming you. Yet another off season is here and yet another divisive threat is lying at the feet of the administration at VASJ. This time you are even more than sad, you are angry. You are angry that the boys up on Cedar Rd. have called them as they see them and have pegged the poster boy of your gullibility. You see what is happening to the fledgling AD that you and your sidekick Bball216 have lauded on here and in many other venues and you are left to eat your words. Only don't fill up on those words because you will have a buffet of empty assertions to digest in only a short time.

Here is the thing though, you are safe. Gilmour will never hire your coach. You are safe, or stuck if you listen to the administration at VASJ, for the time being. Your masquerade shall continue.
Old 05-03-18, 10:34 AM
All District

frs1930 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bball216 View Post
O'Toole you have to think is in play. You have a kid who will be a senior and a daughter on her way there. I'm sure their is a HUGE tuition break if you work at the school - if you even pay at all. That alone is attractive because of the education that school would provide your kid. O'Toole is already involved pretty heavy so actually coaching the team is not much more of a stretch. That being said I agree with FlannMann in that any coach who takes the job has to deal with a AD who is considered an elite coach sitting on the bench in games and watching every practice. That is not something many coaches will be comfortable with.
I could see GA telling him he can't be the head coach AND the athletic director. They might create some other position for him like dean of students or something, but the winter season is too demanding for the AD to be a full time head coach. Swimming, hockey, wrestling, girls bball... they all need attention from the AD.
Old 05-03-18, 11:24 AM
All Ohio

MugnMaul78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by brusharc1986 View Post
I can hear the sadness in your tone. It is all happening around you. You are slowly realizing the fraudulence of your situation and the sadness is overcoming you. Yet another off season is here and yet another divisive threat is lying at the feet of the administration at VASJ. This time you are even more than sad, you are angry. You are angry that the boys up on Cedar Rd. have called them as they see them and have pegged the poster boy of your gullibility. You see what is happening to the fledgling AD that you and your sidekick Bball216 have lauded on here and in many other venues and you are left to eat your words. Only don't fill up on those words because you will have a buffet of empty assertions to digest in only a short time.

Here is the thing though, you are safe. Gilmour will never hire your coach. You are safe, or stuck if you listen to the administration at VASJ, for the time being. Your masquerade shall continue.
The only sadness I feel is for your wife and kids. I realize it was only 10:00 am when you wrote this incoherent nonsense but drinking this early in the morning is not good. Add that to the long list you need to discuss with your mental health professional.
Old 05-05-18, 08:00 AM
All American

Gilmour Boys Basketball job open

Ok we get it Arch, you don’t like Babe, don’t hijack this thread about the GA job. I’ve admitted on multiple occasions that I don’t like Babe for personal reasons myself and you don’t see me spouting out ridiculous posts especially when it has nothing to do about him in the first place. 🤦
Old 05-09-18, 07:16 AM
All World

You sound surprised.

Old 05-10-18, 02:35 PM
Junior Varsity

FlannMann87 is on a distinguished road
The coaching position is officially posted on OHSAA's website. Does this mean it will not be O'toole? I have heard from very good sources that O'toole has the itch to coach again. I would of thought this was a done deal.