Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-17-18, 06:53 AM
All Ohio

BrutusBuckeye90 is on a distinguished road
Andre Gordon Headed to Huntington Prep

https://www.daytondailynews.com/spor...GE9jXvh0v29CM/
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-18, 08:04 AM
All District

NewJacketCity is on a distinguished road
While I'm disappointed that I'm not going to get to see him play next year. I'm happy for the opportunity he's been given. With a strong AAU season, followed by the exposure he's gonna get next winter in playing with Huntington Prep, I think the offers from power 5 schools are gonna come rolling in.

HP has the #15 and #20 ranked Juniors-to-be in the country Jaemyn Brakefield and Cashius McNeilly. So we know that there's gonna be a lot of eyes on these and HP and in turn Andre. They also have a PF named Emmanuel
Okpomo that's being recruited by OSU.
Anyway, best of luck to Dre, I'll be following and rooting for him in the future.
Old 04-17-18, 08:09 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJacketCity View Post
While I'm disappointed that I'm not going to get to see him play next year. I'm happy for the opportunity he's been given. With a strong AAU season, followed by the exposure he's gonna get next winter in playing with Huntington Prep, I think the offers from power 5 schools are gonna come rolling in.

HP has the #15 ranked Soph. in the country Jaemyn Brakefield. So we know that there's gonna be a lot of eyes on this kid and HP.

Anyway, best of luck to Dre, I'll be following and rooting for him in the future.
Agreed. This is a huge opportunity for him. He'll get National Exposure on a weekly basis playing for them. I think this is a great move.
Old 04-17-18, 10:56 AM
Junior Varsity

baselinet2baseline is on a distinguished road
Absolutely a great move for him... this is starting to be the new trend for area top prep stars. Why not go prep?
Old 04-17-18, 04:16 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by baselinet2baseline View Post
Why not go prep?
I think a better question would be, "why go prep?"

The reality is that most of these players getting recruited to go to prep schools are already DI college recruits who will get their college years paid for.

Does the prep school help them get recruited to a better college?
Does the prep school help them get to the NBA?
Does the prep school help them get drafted higher by the NBA?

I've never seen any evidence that these prep schools help the star players making the move. It just seems like they play a more prestigious schedule with far more talent around them so they don't have to always be "the man" on their team.
Old 04-17-18, 04:31 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
I don't like this at all.

Why not play your senior year at Sidney and then go to a 5th year prep school the following year..... ?
Old 04-17-18, 04:45 PM
All American

BusinessEnd
I don't think he made the move to HP for exposure. I think it comes down to two main points:

1. Similarity to college basketball environment from the talent of the other players to the travel to the academic side of getting work done on the road.

2. Unlimited basketball skill work - no dead periods, no four man limits, virtually unlimited access to gyms & trainers

I think it was a basketball improvement decision. Once he decided to concentrate on basketball I started wondering if he would be at Sidney when the 18-19 season started.
Old 04-17-18, 09:48 PM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessEnd View Post
I don't think he made the move to HP for exposure. I think it comes down to two main points:

1. Similarity to college basketball environment from the talent of the other players to the travel to the academic side of getting work done on the road.

2. Unlimited basketball skill work - no dead periods, no four man limits, virtually unlimited access to gyms & trainers

I think it was a basketball improvement decision. Once he decided to concentrate on basketball I started wondering if he would be at Sidney when the 18-19 season started.
Excellent post. I don't think this move does much to change his caliber of offers; his play this spring/summer for C2K will determine that. Going to Huntington Prep will definitely make him more prepared to play as a freshman wherever he goes IMO.

I don't necessarily love these types of moves, but the game schedule (volume), travel (and academics on the road), training development, practice competition and caliber of average opponent will do a lot more to bridge his gap to college ball than another year at Sidney would.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-18, 06:32 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post

Why not play your senior year at Sidney and then go to a 5th year prep school the following year..... ?
He would be a High School graduate. You can play at a Prep School after already graduating from another High School????
Old 04-18-18, 07:26 AM
Junior Varsity

baselinet2baseline is on a distinguished road
This is the new trend in High School sports across the globe. Unfortunately, it hurts high schools across America. Andre is doing what's best for him in the long run, any fan or supporter of a community should feel some way but its about the big picture for him.
Old 04-18-18, 07:34 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Because you can practice against D1/NBA level competition at every position, for multiple players, every single day.

Last edited by Taco MacArthur; 04-18-18 at 08:17 AM.
Old 04-18-18, 07:35 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post

Why in God's green earth would he do that if there are no academic issues?
Old 04-18-18, 07:38 AM
All American

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutusBuckeye90 View Post
He would be a High School graduate. You can play at a Prep School after already graduating from another High School????
Yes you can go to a college prep school after high school.
Old 04-18-18, 07:55 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwwarrior09 View Post
Excellent post. I don't think this move does much to change his caliber of offers; his play this spring/summer for C2K will determine that. Going to Huntington Prep will definitely make him more prepared to play as a freshman wherever he goes IMO.

I don't necessarily love these types of moves, but the game schedule (volume), travel (and academics on the road), training development, practice competition and caliber of average opponent will do a lot more to bridge his gap to college ball than another year at Sidney would.

From someone who knows someone really close to him, this was absolutely the case. Andre knew he could stay in Sidney and get his college paid for and play D1 basketball. This move was precipitated by a visit to HP's facilities and he fell in love with the place. Even a few months ago I know Andre's plan was to stay in Sidney and even to play at a more local D1. I think Andre is seeing that there's a big world out there and this was simply an opportunity that he couldn't pass up. That maybe he didn't just want to stay local, but to broaden his horizons and see what all kind of opportunities may be out there for him while becoming the best player he can be by playing D1 caliber competition day in and out not only in games but practices. Best of luck to Andre, he'll have a lot of support from his hometown moving forward.

Last edited by NewJacketCity; 04-18-18 at 08:08 AM.
Old 04-18-18, 09:35 AM
All Ohio

lat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
From someone who knows someone really close to him, this was absolutely the case. Andre knew he could stay in Sidney and get his college paid for and play D1 basketball. This move was precipitated by a visit to HP's facilities and he fell in love with the place. Even a few months ago I know Andre's plan was to stay in Sidney and even to play at a more local D1. I think Andre is seeing that there's a big world out there and this was simply an opportunity that he couldn't pass up. That maybe he didn't just want to stay local, but to broaden his horizons and see what all kind of opportunities may be out there for him while becoming the best player he can be by playing D1 caliber competition day in and out not only in games but practices. Best of luck to Andre, he'll have a lot of support from his hometown moving forward.
But I hope this doesn’t expose him and also hurt his recruiting process. To many times times the big fish in a small pond wants to get in the big pond and gets eaten alive
Old 04-18-18, 09:53 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by lat View Post
But I hope this doesn’t expose him and also hurt his recruiting process. To many times times the big fish in a small pond wants to get in the big pond and gets eaten alive
Obviously there's a potential risk here, that being said the coaches at Harvest Prep obviously believe in his ability to compete at the level that they play at or they wouldn't have brought him in. Beyond that he's gonna play the best of the best in the AAU circuit this spring and summer so if he's exposed it's gonna happen before he gets to HP.
Old 04-18-18, 09:57 AM
All Region

spirit454 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Obviously there's a potential risk here, that being said the coaches at Harvest Prep obviously believe in his ability to compete at the level that they play at or they wouldn't have brought him in. Beyond that he's gonna play the best of the best in the AAU circuit this spring and summer so if he's exposed it's gonna happen before he gets to HP.
Is he going to Harvest Prep or Huntington Prep?
Old 04-18-18, 09:59 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit454 View Post
Is he going to Harvest Prep or Huntington Prep?
Huntington Prep
Old 04-18-18, 11:27 AM
All American

member1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Huntington Prep
Is there any truth to the rumor that the young man may have been too old to participate in OHSAA activities his senior year, which led him to move on?

If this is not the case it would be good to get that cleared up. I have heard it from a couple of sources and I would hate for it to be false and people are spreading the misinformation.

Good luck Mr. Gordan. You have been a pleasure to watch!
Old 04-18-18, 11:48 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by member1 View Post
Is there any truth to the rumor that the young man may have been too old to participate in OHSAA activities his senior year, which led him to move on?

If this is not the case it would be good to get that cleared up. I have heard it from a couple of sources and I would hate for it to be false and people are spreading the misinformation.

That's totally false. He'll turn 19 this fall. OHSAA rules state a HS player is ineligible once they turn the age of 20.
Old 04-18-18, 11:51 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by member1 View Post

Not 100% sure but I know his birthday is in September. So I guess the question is, will he be turning 18/19 in September not sure what the requirements are for oshaa
Old 04-18-18, 12:45 PM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
Unless something's changed, the rule should be that you can't turn 19 before either August 1st or September 1st.

Old 04-18-18, 01:03 PM
All American

BusinessEnd
You can compete in OHSAA sanctioned sports until the day you turn 20. Rule was changed several years ago.
Old 04-18-18, 01:10 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwwarrior09 View Post
Unless something's changed, the rule should be that you can't turn 19 before either August 1st or September 1st.

As BusinessEnd posted, the rule changed a couple years ago. Your eligibility ends the day of your 20th birthday, even if it is in the middle of a season.
Old 04-18-18, 01:56 PM
All Ohio

Than this is absolutely not the reason cause he will turn 19 in September
Old 04-18-18, 03:12 PM
Varsity

Localfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:

The reality is that most of these players getting recruited to go to prep schools are already DI college recruits who will get their college years paid for.

I've never seen any evidence that these prep schools help the star players making the move. It just seems like they play a more prestigious schedule with far more talent around them so they don't have to always be "the man" on their team.
At Prep schools you can work on you game more and they have no "no contact" period. Prep school is training you for 1 and done. Meaning 1 year of college then go Pro
Old 04-18-18, 03:34 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Localfan View Post
Prep school is training you for 1 and done. Meaning 1 year of college then go Pro
lol no it isn't. Even at many prep schools most kids aren't 1 and done.
Old 04-19-18, 07:22 AM
All American

Zezzo! is on a distinguished road
Quote:

In my experience coaching hi-level prep and high school ball, going prep can open up your recruitment not necessarily bigger schools but more of the same level of what you have before you went prep. Some players may get bigger offers because of where they go, who they playing with or they get better. I had a high school player that committed to a D1 as a sophomore, after his junior year he came to me and said he was going prep(Oak Hill) to play better competition to prepare him for the next level. I told him it absolutely makes sense and that he'll play elite D1 competition 44 of 50 games as opposed to playing 22 games in Ohio where he'd play maybe 2 teams with one elite D1 player. So it depends, maybe Gordon went prep to better prepare him for the next level, if so not a bad move. No knock on Sidney at all but Sidney's schedule and a elite prep schedule is.....well.
Old 04-19-18, 07:25 AM
All American

Zezzo! is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by baselinet2baseline View Post
This is the new trend in High School sports across the globe. Unfortunately, it hurts high schools across America. Andre is doing what's best for him in the long run, any fan or supporter of a community should feel some way but its about the big picture for him.
This is not a new trend it's been going on for years.....
Old 04-19-18, 07:46 AM
All Region

spirit454 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezzo! View Post
This is not a new trend it's been going on for years.....
The new trend is that more and more players think they are at that level.