Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-03-18, 07:52 PM
All American

Myron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit454 View Post
What type of program issues? Are you saying the athletes get into trouble because their coach is not in the building?
Yes, and far more parent issues
Old 05-03-18, 09:33 PM
All Region

spirit454 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron View Post
Yes, and far more parent issues
Troubled kids and parent issues are not solved by having a head coach in the building.

Last edited by spirit454; 05-04-18 at 04:23 AM.
Old 05-04-18, 06:11 AM
All District

tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Troubled kids and parent issues are not solved by having a head coach in the building.
Solved: not neccessarily

Prevented more: absolutely.

I have seen this first hand at a Division 1 inner ring suburban school where 5 football coaches and 2 basketball coaches were in the building (including myself). You cannot deny having coaches in the building cuts down on discipline problems involving players. No, the coach doesn't run down the hallway anytime a football/basketball/whatever player is acting up. But just having the presence of that coach in the building and the players knowing this is a huge deterrent. It's not even debatable IMO
Old 05-04-18, 07:03 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefan23 View Post
Solved: not neccessarily

Prevented more: absolutely.

I have seen this first hand at a Division 1 inner ring suburban school where 5 football coaches and 2 basketball coaches were in the building (including myself). You cannot deny having coaches in the building cuts down on discipline problems involving players. No, the coach doesn't run down the hallway anytime a football/basketball/whatever player is acting up. But just having the presence of that coach in the building and the players knowing this is a huge deterrent. It's not even debatable IMO
Having the players know the coach will deal with any acting up in school is the only need. Being in the building is not needed for that. I've seen it first hand in both basketball and football.
Old 05-04-18, 08:53 AM
All District

tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Having the players know the coach will deal with any acting up in school is the only need. Being in the building is not needed for that. I've seen it first hand in both basketball and football.
Never said it was a NEED for a coach to be in the building. Programs have survived obviously without it. But it is a deterrent. And unfortunately, if the coach has a busy outside job, they won't properly deal with issues that arise in the building.

Not to mention building comaraderie better with kids, grade checks, talking to other teachers about helping kids pass classes, dealing with personal and social issues, the list goes on and on and on and on.........

I can't believe someone is actually trying to argue that having coaches in the buildings isn't beneficial. Amazing
Old 05-04-18, 09:39 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefan23 View Post
Never said it was a NEED for a coach to be in the building. Programs have survived obviously without it. But it is a deterrent. And unfortunately, if the coach has a busy outside job, they won't properly deal with issues that arise in the building.

Not to mention building comaraderie better with kids, grade checks, talking to other teachers about helping kids pass classes, dealing with personal and social issues, the list goes on and on and on and on.........

I can't believe someone is actually trying to argue that having coaches in the buildings isn't beneficial. Amazing
I live in a school district were over half of the coaches are not teachers and 15 of the varsity head coaches are not in the building including football, basketball, soccer. Over the last 20 years these numbers have flexed a little but I have not seen any issues or parent problems based on the job location of the head coach. I have seen head coaches IN and OUT of the building not handle problems as well as other coaches. So in my opinion there is no benefit to job location if all applicant's jobs will allow for the time to coach. Hire the most qualified is what I support. And with today's technology access to grades and communication with a player's teacher is not a problem.