Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-20-18, 08:31 PM
All District

Akronite is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit454 View Post
I have no issue with kids going to private schools for an education they may feel is better.
Humor me with this question.
How full would the catholic schools be if they did away with sports? As a student you still attend the private school but the public district in which you live would provide you with the high school sports opportunity. I would not be surprised if the private school enrollments would decline drastically.
I think the question to ask is ďif parents were offered vouchers to get their kids out of the schools they have to send their kids to, how many would use them?Ē

Take athletics out of the equation and ask how many families would jump at the chance to get their kids into a different school environment
Old 04-20-18, 09:22 PM
All World

Bball216 is an unknown quantity at this point
I find it funny how the public school supporters feel that every decision a private school makes is sports related. They risk closing or losing money just to stay in a lower sporting division or kids only attend these schools to play sports. Believe it or not most students attend these schools for the education. Maybe if some of these urban public schools had a solid educational structure parents would not pay the kings ransom to have their kids go to private school.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Sport Forums smart
Old 04-20-18, 10:18 PM
All Region

spirit454 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bball216 View Post
I find it funny how the public school supporters feel that every decision a private school makes is sports related. They risk closing or losing money just to stay in a lower sporting division or kids only attend these schools to play sports. Believe it or not most students attend these schools for the education. Maybe if some of these urban public schools had a solid educational structure parents would not pay the kings ransom to have their kids go to private school.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Sport Forums smart
How many of the 15 kids on the roster would be enrolled at your private school if it did not have basketball?
Old 04-21-18, 06:20 AM
All Ohio

bass10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
How many of the 15 kids on the roster would be enrolled at your private school if it did not have basketball?
zero
Old 04-21-18, 06:24 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
Since 80% of the public schools in Ohio have some form of open enrollment I would argue a "normal high school" are those that get their student athletes from more than one district.

Those that get them from within their district with a couple possible exceptions are not the norm.
For sake of your argument because I know the privates love to throw out the "open enrollment equalizer". Lets take some D1's, Stow, Green, North Canton, Cuyahoga Falls, Hudson, Wadsworth, Jackson. Can you or anybody tell me 2 open enrolled kids on their basketball teams?? I honestly don't know but I'd say maybe 2 but probably zero?
Old 04-21-18, 06:26 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYaSometime View Post
This. /\ /\ /\

Bass10 has a very narrow view instead of the whole picture. Schools have evolved from the "our district only" model. Sign of the times. Can get with the program or get left behind. Eighty percent is a hefty majority.
Sounds good and fits perfectly for StV, but because 80% of the schools have OE doesn't mean they are getting athletes, unfortunately for privates biggest come back that's not what OE is about and is not the big equalizer you all pretend it to be.
Old 04-21-18, 06:48 AM
All World

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Since 80% of the public schools in Ohio have some form of open enrollment I would argue a "normal high school" are those that get their student athletes from more than one district.

Those that get them from within their district with a couple possible exceptions are not the norm.
Their is a big difference getting 1 or 2 kids who are OE and sit on the bench compared to a private school like a CCA or ASVM. OE schools that have a majority of athletes from another school district is a very small minority.
Old 04-21-18, 07:28 AM
All Ohio

Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
How many of the 15 kids on the roster would be enrolled at your public school if it did not have basketball? Probably Zero. Students and parents love extra curricular activities, especially athletics.
Old 04-21-18, 08:36 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan22 View Post
How many of the 15 kids on the roster would be enrolled at your public school if it did not have basketball? Probably Zero. Students and parents love extra curricular activities, especially athletics.
I agree here but I think what he was trying to prove is that they are there for basketball not academics whatsoever.
Old 04-21-18, 08:39 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan22 View Post
My question was directed at ALL private schools, not just one. I accept and encourage the parents who want to benefit from a private education or an education with a religious backing to enroll and pay for their kids to receive it. In your question, if HS sports were to be removed from all schools in the state, the public halls would be even fuller than they are now.
Old 04-21-18, 09:09 AM
All Region

Bobby77 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
My question was directed at ALL private schools, not just one. I accept and encourage the parents who want to benefit from a private education or an education with a religious backing to enroll and pay for their kids to receive it. In your question, if HS sports were to be removed from all schools in the state, the public halls would be even fuller than they are now.
I donít think anyone would argue that some parents send their kids to Catholic schools for sports. Strong sports equal strong enrollment. There is a correlation to athletic success and the vitality of the school. Goes for Edís, Iggy, SVSM, Hoban, Moeller, St. X, LaSalle, etc. is that the issue? Parents making a choice that is athletic based?
Old 04-21-18, 09:22 AM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass10 View Post
For sake of your argument because I know the privates love to throw out the "open enrollment equalizer". Lets take some D1's, Stow, Green, North Canton, Cuyahoga Falls, Hudson, Wadsworth, Jackson. Can you or anybody tell me 2 open enrolled kids on their basketball teams?? I honestly don't know but I'd say maybe 2 but probably zero?
I don't live up that way. I don't know anything about those kids. Down the where I live (Dayton area) open enrollment is alive and well in all sports.
Old 04-21-18, 09:25 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
Their is a big difference getting 1 or 2 kids who are OE and sit on the bench compared to a private school like a CCA or ASVM. OE schools that have a majority of athletes from another school district is a very small minority.
How do you know they sit the bench? There is no requirement they sit the bench. The year tri village won state they had several OE students that contributed. Heck one starter lived in Indiana.
Old 04-21-18, 09:31 AM
All Region

Bobby77 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I don't live up that way. I don't know anything about those kids. Down the where I live (Dayton area) open enrollment is alive and well in all sports.
The coaches of public schools in Southern Ohio do not whine and make excuses like the Northeast Ohio coaches do. The fans may be a different story but the coaches in NE Ohio consistently use the community vs AAU thing well before they play and it usually gives an advantage to privates before they play. Doesn’t seem to be the case with Dayton/Cincy schools.

Last edited by Bobby77; 04-21-18 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-21-18, 09:45 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I realize you have a little bias against private, religious based schools but I think you be surprised about how many people actually attend those schools because of the spiritual side of their curriculum. Many are alumni themselves and want to continue the tradition.
That is again if you are considering ALL private schools. St. X has what.....1400 boys in the school? Iggy about the same. Moeller about 900? If they were there just for sports most aren't getting playing time. So why do they stay?

Your argument would hold more water if you stuck to couple of schools that always get mentioned in this debate and say they go there for sports only.
Old 04-21-18, 10:29 AM
All World

Quote:
How do you know they sit the bench? There is no requirement they sit the bench. The year tri village won state they had several OE students that contributed. Heck one starter lived in Indiana.
Tri-Village is 80 %? Deer Park which is closed enrollment and maybe a few of the bigger OE public schools have a few transfers or OE students that might start but they are in the minority. For every Deer Park their are 10 Marion Locals or Fort Loramie's that still have a majority if not all of their starters that are "home grown".
Old 04-21-18, 10:47 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Tri-Village is 80 %? Deer Park which is closed enrollment and maybe a few of the bigger OE public schools have a few transfers or OE students that might start but they are in the minority. For every Deer Park their are 10 Marion Locals or Fort Loramie's that still have a majority if not all of their starters that are "home grown".
No, tri village is not 80%. But then again neither is ML or FL.

http://www.ohsaa.org/Sports-Tourname...ll-Division-IV
http://www.ohsaa.org/Sports-Tourname...l-Division-III

Looks like a lot of teams have OE kids on their rosters. And there is no way to measure starters because for every ML or FL you name that has homegrown starters I can name an OE that has a non-local as a starter.
Old 04-21-18, 01:32 PM
All District

Football Fan 1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass10 View Post
Why donít look at John Glennís 2016 D2 state championship and look at their roster and see where they came from? Open enrollment was an equalizer there.

Copley seemed to have some open enrollment this past season.

I can give you additional examples if youíd like
Old 04-21-18, 01:50 PM
All World

Quote:
No, tri village is not 80%. But then again neither is ML or FL.

http://www.ohsaa.org/Sports-Tourname...ll-Division-IV
http://www.ohsaa.org/Sports-Tourname...l-Division-III

Looks like a lot of teams have OE kids on their rosters. And there is no way to measure starters because for every ML or FL you name that has homegrown starters I can name an OE that has a non-local as a starter.
To compare an OE school with 1 or 2 OE athletes on its roster to a private school is ridiculous. Plus some OE schools are adjacent counties some are are state - wide. However as Deer Park proved as a closed school district their is always a way to take " advantage " of the rules. However most public schools especially smaller publics are not going to bend the rules just to win a state championship.
Old 04-21-18, 02:30 PM
All American

C'Town216 is on a distinguished road
Prime example on the football spectrum is what Rotsky does to get kids into his program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-18, 06:00 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
To compare an OE school with 1 or 2 OE athletes on its roster to a private school is ridiculous. Plus some OE schools are adjacent counties some are are state - wide. However as Deer Park proved as a closed school district their is always a way to take " advantage " of the rules. However most public schools especially smaller publics are not going to bend the rules just to win a state championship.
In basketball just a couple kids make a huge difference. Like 70% of public schools have statewide open enrollment and only about 10% are adjacent districts.

Yes, we all know deer park's story. Maybe because you live in MAC-land and we know things are pretty different up there but you seem to be giving public schools more credit that they probably deserve. Would they go to the lengths of deer Park? Most probably wouldn't but don't kid yourself that the smaller public schools don't benefit from OE in athletics. And don't kid yourself that the coaches don't welcome them with open arms either.
Old 04-22-18, 12:39 PM
All World

Quote:
You are talking about a very small % of the total school enrollment. Private schools need students to survive. There is several schools in NE Ohio competing for the same kids. Sure some kids attend a school for sports - it happens at public schools as well. Private schools do not however dictate policy or make it so the enrollment numbers are down just so they can be in lower athletic divisions - that is crazy. These schools would not risk being in the red or even closing just to compete in a lower division like many on here seem to think. Say a basketball program has 45 kids in it for 3 teams - that is only 10% of the enrollment at a school like VASJ. You think the operation of the school revolves around 10% of the enrollment. Schools like VASJ, Lake, Benny, NDCL and others would LOVE to have enough kids every year to be D1 without any CBP or funny math. The schools would gladly welcome more students and increased revenue in trade to compete at a higher level. The economy is tough and school is not getting any cheaper on the private side. It's harder and harder to keep your numbers up. That is why what is going on at VASJ is so impressive. The truth is when it's all said and done the vast majority of students at private schools are there for the education and don't even participate in any sports.
Old 04-22-18, 01:36 PM
All World

D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You are talking about a very small % of the total school enrollment. Private schools need students to survive. There is several schools in NE Ohio competing for the same kids. Sure some kids attend a school for sports - it happens at public schools as well. Private schools do not however dictate policy or make it so the enrollment numbers are down just so they can be in lower athletic divisions - that is crazy. These schools would not risk being in the red or even closing just to compete in a lower division like many on here seem to think. Say a basketball program has 45 kids in it for 3 teams - that is only 10% of the enrollment at a school like VASJ. You think the operation of the school revolves around 10% of the enrollment. Schools like VASJ, Lake, Benny, NDCL and others would LOVE to have enough kids every year to be D1 without any CBP or funny math. The schools would gladly welcome more students and increased revenue in trade to compete at a higher level. The economy is tough and school is not getting any cheaper on the private side. It's harder and harder to keep your numbers up. That is why what is going on at VASJ is so impressive. The truth is when it's all said and done the vast majority of students at private schools are there for the education and don't even participate in any sports.
The private schools I know have over a 90% participation rate in students doing at least one extracurricular sport. Guess SW Ohio is very different from NE. Maybe we need separate region tournaments and scratch the state title.
Old 04-22-18, 02:54 PM
All World

That is a ridiculously high number. Nowhere near that number. You have several kids that play 2 and 3 sports just so the school can field a team. In fact a majority of the kids DON'T play sports of any kind.
Old 04-22-18, 04:46 PM
All Region

Quote:
I realize you have a little bias against private, religious based schools but I think you be surprised about how many people actually attend those schools because of the spiritual side of their curriculum. Many are alumni themselves and want to continue the tradition.
That is again if you are considering ALL private schools. St. X has what.....1400 boys in the school? Iggy about the same. Moeller about 900? If they were there just for sports most aren't getting playing time. So why do they stay?

Your argument would hold more water if you stuck to couple of schools that always get mentioned in this debate and say they go there for sports only.
I have never said anything about every student at the school. My remarks are about the athletes on most rosters. Focus on the 15 varsity roster players.
Old 04-22-18, 05:34 PM
All Region

Quote:
That is a ridiculously high number. Nowhere near that number. You have several kids that play 2 and 3 sports just so the school can field a team. In fact a majority of the kids DON'T play sports of any kind.
Again, all of the talk about rules and changing them is about the kids on the rosters and not the total enrollment.
Old 04-22-18, 05:46 PM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I have never said anything about every student at the school. My remarks are about the athletes on most rosters. Focus on the 15 varsity roster players.
Because if I focus exclusively on my very narrow parameters, I can support my preconceived conclusions.

Last edited by Irish60; 04-22-18 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-22-18, 05:50 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Your comment was if the all schools did not have athletics the halls at public schools would be more full than they already are. Clearly you were suggesting that the majority of kids attend private schools for sports and if they didn't exist at any schools in the state why would parents pay for a private education?

And 15 kids won't fill the halls much anyway.
Old 04-22-18, 07:48 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
Because if I focus exclusively on my very narrow parameters, I can support my preconceived conclusions.
Wrong. It's because the OHSAA does not care or have authority over a student at any school that is not on a roster.
Old 04-22-18, 07:57 PM
All Region

Quote:
Your comment was if the all schools did not have athletics the halls at public schools would be more full than they already are. Clearly you were suggesting that the majority of kids attend private schools for sports and if they didn't exist at any schools in the state why would parents pay for a private education?

And 15 kids won't fill the halls much anyway.
What I clearly was suggesting is that EVERY private school has a portion of their rosters in maybe more than one sport that would not attend that private school if it did not offer sports. Those kids would then be at the schools based in their residence.