Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-13-18, 12:32 PM
All Region

spirit454 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals wrestling View Post
All you haters out there, enjoy the one year SVSM moves up to DI, because next year they will be right back in DII.

All they have to do for the 2018-19 school years is keep 36-38 players on the three levels (frosh, JV and varsity) instead of the traditional 45 (15 on each level) and for 2019-20 they are right back in DII.

I can't wait FOR that announcement.
If this is true they are already liars as they are only reporting 33 high school players now. From last year to this year their competitive balance number increased 21 points from 103 to 124. That increase of 21 is a higher number than 168 of the Div 1 schools have as their total competitive balance number.
Old 04-13-18, 12:40 PM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit454 View Post
If this is true they are already liars as they are only reporting 33 high school players now
Since you seem to know so many details about SVSM, can you tell me what parish school is listed as their feeder school? And which APS high school?

Last edited by SeeYaSometime; 04-13-18 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-13-18, 12:44 PM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
If this is true they are already liars as they are only reporting 33 high school players now. From last year to this year their competitive balance number increased 21 points from 103 to 124. That increase of 21 is a higher number than 168 of the Div 1 schools have as their total competitive balance number.
And if you think that statistic means anything, then it shows your complete lack of understanding about the make up of the student populations at urban Catholic high schools.
Old 04-13-18, 01:40 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
And if you think that statistic means anything, then it shows your complete lack of understanding about the make up of the student populations at urban Catholic high schools.
The make up of urban catholic schools is not what matters to this discussion. Understanding the calculations of the competitive balance formula does. An increase of 20 could mean you added 5 kids to your high school roster who had never been in your school before and 4 of them not in catholic schools.

Last edited by spirit454; 04-13-18 at 02:07 PM.
Old 04-13-18, 01:48 PM
All American

FootsWalker is on a distinguished road
D1 Barberton District just went from tough to a lot tougher..........
Old 04-13-18, 01:58 PM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The make up of urban catholic schools is not what matters to this discussion. Understanding the calculations of the competitive balance formula does. An increase of 20 could mean you added 10 kids to your high school roster who had never been in catholic schools before.
10 kids that were not in Catholic education system would give a CB number of 50 wouldn't it for basketball?
Old 04-13-18, 02:05 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
10 kids that were not in Catholic education system would give a CB number of 50 wouldn't it for basketball?
Yes, this was the football coach in me. I will correct.
Old 04-13-18, 09:39 PM
All American

Quote:
The make up of urban catholic schools is not what matters to this discussion. Understanding the calculations of the competitive balance formula does. An increase of 20 could mean you added 5 kids to your high school roster who had never been in your school before and 4 of them not in catholic schools.
You are amusing! More than a little myopic when it comes to the topic. But you do add levity to the thread...
Old 04-14-18, 07:30 AM
All Region

Quote:
You are amusing! More than a little myopic when it comes to the topic. But you do add levity to the thread...
Enlighten me.
Old 04-14-18, 09:13 AM
All American

Quote:
Enlighten me.
You take one fact and make some absolutely meaningless comparison to support your preordained conclusion. You refuse to consider the bigger picture because that may tend to undercut the false premise that you began with. And you cling to your fact because it tells you what you already believe to be the truth. It's called "polishing the turd". It's how a child argues. And it's amusing to me.

Last edited by Irish60; 04-14-18 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-14-18, 09:31 AM
All World

Bball216 is an unknown quantity at this point
People are assuming SVSM is somehow bothered by being D1. Will the road be tougher - absolutely. Some say this years D2 regional final was possibly for the state championship. Maybe that is true - maybe not. SVSM will not have the early round cakewalks they are used to - big deal. The Irish are LOADED heading into next season. With what many D1 teams are losing to graduation it would not shock me at all to see SVSM in Columbus again competing for another gold trophy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Sport Forums smart
Old 04-14-18, 09:43 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bball216 View Post
People are assuming SVSM is somehow bothered by being D1. Will the road be tougher - absolutely. Some say this years D2 regional final was possibly for the state championship. Maybe that is true - maybe not. SVSM will not have the early round cakewalks they are used to - big deal. The Irish are LOADED heading into next season. With what many D1 teams are losing to graduation it would not shock me at all to see SVSM in Columbus again competing for another gold trophy.

I agree with this 100%. The Irish don't view this as being "punished", rather the team sees it as an opportunity. Will they make it to Columbus next year? Who knows? But they'll have a shot. It'll be a tougher road to hoe for sure, but that's a good thing. In my estimation, if they were D1 this year there would have had a decent shot to making it to a match up with Solon. Would they have beaten Solon? Likely not, but that would have been a heckuva game to see!
Old 04-14-18, 12:18 PM
All Region

Quote:
You take one fact and make some absolutely meaningless comparison to support your preordained conclusion. You refuse to consider the bigger picture because that may tend to undercut the false premise that you began with. And you cling to your fact because it tells you what you already believe to be the truth. It's called "polishing the turd". It's how a child argues. And it's amusing to me.
That is false. The dynamics of a catholic school's make up can be exposed by the competitive balance formula. If a child has been in the catholic system since before the 7th grade but new to your school they are placed in a tier. If they have not attended a catholic system before enrolling in your school they are placed in another tier. If a schools total high school enrollment is made up of 90% kids who have grown up being educated in the catholic system is great. If the basketball roster is made up of only 10% of players who have been enrolled in the catholic system before high school, the dynamics and percentages of the entire school system is meaningless to this discussion. Someone thinking 100% of the students enrolled at St V are there for the education or were recruited to provide an education is amusing to me.

Last edited by spirit454; 04-14-18 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-14-18, 03:53 PM
All American

Quote:
That is false. The dynamics of a catholic school's make up can be exposed by the competitive balance formula. If a child has been in the catholic system since before the 7th grade but new to your school they are placed in a tier. If they have not attended a catholic system before enrolling in your school they are placed in another tier. If a schools total high school enrollment is made up of 90% kids who have grown up being educated in the catholic system is great. If the basketball roster is made up of only 10% of players who have been enrolled in the catholic system before high school, the dynamics and percentages of the entire school system is meaningless to this discussion. Someone thinking 100% of the students enrolled at St V are there for the education or were recruited to provide an education is amusing to me.
Stop, huckleberry, you're killing me!!!
Old 04-15-18, 11:28 AM
All American

Orangeman89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Localfan View Post
No problem with kids going there but let's not put the false idea out there that StV is a better educational opportunity than most of the other Summit County schools.
Right, Let correct that and say Akron Public Schools. Yes Kids mostly go there because Lebron went.[/QUOTE]

Still incorrect. Akron Public Schools offer most of the same opportunities suburban and private schools do.
It's the desire and performance of the overall student body that cripples the proficiency numbers of a district like Akron.
Old 04-15-18, 04:16 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeman89 View Post
Right, Let correct that and say Akron Public Schools. Yes Kids mostly go there because Lebron went.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeman89 View Post
Still incorrect. Akron Public Schools offer most of the same opportunities suburban and private schools do.
It's the desire and performance of the overall student body that cripples the proficiency numbers of a district like Akron.
And behavior. It may not be prevalent at Ellet, but the perpoderance of class disruptions by unruly students is a daily happening at the middle and high school levels.
Old 04-19-18, 02:04 PM
All American

Rabbit is on a distinguished road
Moeller and St. V, St. Mary to play 4 year "home and home" starting next season in Cincinnati.
Old 04-19-18, 05:06 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
Moeller and St. V, St. Mary to play 4 year "home and home" starting next season in Cincinnati.
They played during the LeBron years as well. Just two years though, if my memory serves.
Old 04-19-18, 06:44 PM
All District

Bobby77 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
While public school numbers are misleading. A kid attends one district through middle school and “moves” into a new district and the public school is not penalized. A kid that is Catholic and attends public school through middle school and chooses a Catholic high school, the High school is penalized. But if the same kid that is Catholic attends Catholic school through middle school then attends their local public high school that public school does not get enrollment added. About 50% of Catholic middle schoolers attend public high school because of the cost. The rules are not consistent or the same for both sides. May not make a difference but they should be fair.
Old 04-19-18, 06:51 PM
All Region

I have no issue with kids going to private schools for an education they may feel is better.
Humor me with this question.
How full would the catholic schools be if they did away with sports? As a student you still attend the private school but the public district in which you live would provide you with the high school sports opportunity. I would not be surprised if the private school enrollments would decline drastically.
Old 04-19-18, 08:25 PM
All District

Bobby77 is on a distinguished road
The urban Catholics schools would suffer greatly. There is no question that a lot of parents send their kids to private schools for sports and the strong education makes it worth it. For what it is worth they can’t afford to allow everyone to attend for free either so the scholarship talk is exaggerated greatly on here. There simply is not enough Catholic only kids that have parents that can afford 45k for a high school education. Not sure why they would get rid of sports though?
Old 04-20-18, 06:41 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
That will be an interesting match up of styles. Should be very entertaining games.
Old 04-20-18, 07:37 AM
All Ohio

bass10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bball216 View Post

Nobody cares or is assuming it bothers them to be where they should be? Why would they want to play normal high schools, Norton, Canton South, Tallmadge, etc. as they skate thru every district year after year?
Old 04-20-18, 07:59 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass10 View Post
Nobody cares or is assuming it bothers them to be where they should be? Why would they want to play normal high schools, Norton, Canton South, Tallmadge, etc. as they skate thru every district year after year?
So Copley, Hoban and Stow aren't "normal high schools"!?!
Old 04-20-18, 11:47 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
So Copley, Hoban and Stow aren't "normal high schools"!?!
Normal D1 schools, you aren't putting them in a class with Norton, Tallmadge and Canton South are you?
Old 04-20-18, 12:10 PM
All American

Quote:
Normal D1 schools, you aren't putting them in a class with Norton, Tallmadge and Canton South are you?
Not at all. Just trying to figure out what a "normal high school" is. But in the Barberton district this year, Hoban played Highland, Green and Copley. Certainly a little tougher road than the Irish had against Canton South, Tallmadge and Buchtel, but I would have liked St. V's chances. Again, I have NO issue with the Irish being D1. The Districts will be tougher, but my guess is the Irish will be the team to beat. From what I am hearing, the team is excited about playing in the D1 tournament. And they are VERY excited about adding Moeller to the schedule. For years the Irish have strived to challenge themselves as much as possible in the regular season, then play whomever was put in front of them in the playoffs. Next year will be nothing different.
Old 04-20-18, 12:30 PM
All American

FootsWalker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Not at all. Just trying to figure out what a "normal high school" is. But in the Barberton district this year, Hoban played Highland, Green and Copley. Certainly a little tougher road than the Irish had against Canton South, Tallmadge and Buchtel, but I would have liked St. V's chances. Again, I have NO issue with the Irish being D1. The Districts will be tougher, but my guess is the Irish will be the team to beat. From what I am hearing, the team is excited about playing in the D1 tournament. And they are VERY excited about adding Moeller to the schedule. For years the Irish have strived to challenge themselves as much as possible in the regular season, then play whomever was put in front of them in the playoffs. Next year will be nothing different.
Had St V been in the Barberton District & CSU Region this season, they would've certainly been tested at least. Unfortunately a number of those schools lose a lot this year (Stow, Copley, Hoban, Jackson, Solon to a lesser degree), with Green being the lone exception. That said I'm sure the Irish will be a strong favorite next year, with all they have coming back. Still good to see them playing in the D1 tourney though.
Old 04-20-18, 03:08 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
A normal High School is a district that gets their student athletes within their district with a couple possible exceptions. A school that gets their student athletes from multiple districts and sometimes even other states is not a normal high school, you have to agree with that, right?

Of course the Irish pride themselves on challenging themselves throughout the season with a tough schedule, they can do that where many others can only schedule tough when they have a strong class. Normal high schools can't reload every year.
Old 04-20-18, 03:47 PM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
A normal High School is a district that gets their student athletes within their district with a couple possible exceptions. A school that gets their student athletes from multiple districts and sometimes even other states is not a normal high school, you have to agree with that, right?

Of course the Irish pride themselves on challenging themselves throughout the season with a tough schedule, they can do that where many others can only schedule tough when they have a strong class. Normal high schools can't reload every year.
Since 80% of the public schools in Ohio have some form of open enrollment I would argue a "normal high school" are those that get their student athletes from more than one district.

Those that get them from within their district with a couple possible exceptions are not the norm.
Old 04-20-18, 06:05 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
Since 80% of the public schools in Ohio have some form of open enrollment I would argue a "normal high school" are those that get their student athletes from more than one district.

Those that get them from within their district with a couple possible exceptions are not the norm.
This. /\ /\ /\

Bass10 has a very narrow view instead of the whole picture. Schools have evolved from the "our district only" model. Sign of the times. Can get with the program or get left behind. Eighty percent is a hefty majority.