Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-30-18, 03:23 PM
All World

Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltfan76 View Post
You have a lot of bitter old men and women on this site that think they should be able to control the lives of other people's children because they play sports. It's sad really.
Not trying to control other people's lives, but nothing wrong with having an opinion on things, even decisions made by people in the public.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Old 03-30-18, 04:10 PM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Several points come to mind:
(1) It's always difficult for someone to be the "first" to do something different. Bazley will be playing in small towns and small arenas next year instead of the palaces of the ACC. It will be a tougher road than imagined. Good luck to the young man.
(2) NBA has been getting a free ride with the one-and-dones. They get to evaluate the players for a year for free. And the fans become familiar with the names; which makes the NBA draft MUCH more popular than when they were drafting HS players. The draft is a HUGE money maker for the league.
(3) If this becomes a trend, and the G-League gets more highly rated HS players, then you'll begin to see more structure with the league in terms of better coaching, better officiating, more money etc.
(4) When the FBI stuff started to come out, the NBA was talking big about expanding the G-League in terms of money, notoriety, etc. It'll be interesting to see if the NBA backs up its big talk.
(5) If I were the NCAA, I'd even consider allowing a player like Bazley, if he chose, to petition to have his amateur status reinstated if he applied within, say, one year to return to college. I haven't thought through it completely, but have him lose one year of eligibility and have him agree to stay at least two years in college to have his eligibility reinstated. Do what you can to keep options open for the kids to develop as athletes and students, as well. Once the kids get a reality check and see the grass isn't necessarily greener on the other side, then a college diploma may look better and better. Both the NCAA and the NBA like to sanctimoniously wax poetically about how they want to do what's "best for the kids". Now, maybe they'll get a chance to prove it!

Last edited by Irish60; 03-30-18 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-30-18, 06:19 PM
All World

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
(5) If I were the NCAA, I'd even consider allowing a player like Bazley, if he chose, to petition to have his amateur status reinstated if he applied within, say, one year to return to college. I haven't thought through it completely, but have him lose one year of eligibility and have him agree to stay at least two years in college to have his eligibility reinstated. Do what you can to keep options open for the kids to develop as athletes and students, as well. Once the kids get a reality check and see the grass isn't necessarily greener on the other side, then a college diploma may look better and better. Both the NCAA and the NBA like to sanctimoniously wax poetically about how they want to do what's "best for the kids". Now, maybe they'll get a chance to prove it!
With decisions come consequences if the NBA does not work out and he wants to get his college degree he can pay for it himself like most Americans have to.
Old 03-30-18, 07:30 PM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
My hope would be that the league would put some of the $ in an account to be used for an education if things don't work out for these kids that skip college.
Old 03-30-18, 08:20 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kballer View Post
My hope would be that the league would put some of the $ in an account to be used for an education if things don't work out for these kids that skip college.
BWUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

Sorry, not laughing at you. Laughing at the idea of the league actually caring about the well-being of it's players to that extent.

Old 03-30-18, 08:31 PM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly_Cat View Post

Sorry, not laughing at you. Laughing at the idea of the league actually caring about the well-being of it's players to that extent.

MLB does it for drafted players- not sure they are more honorable, not sure how that came to be.
Old 03-30-18, 09:18 PM
All American

yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
Bazley’s decision was a topic tonight on ESPN’s Pardon the Interuption. Mike Wilbom thinks he may regret his choice after six months playing in the small empty gyms of the G League.
Old 03-31-18, 07:53 AM
All Ohio

Over The Hills is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeoman View Post
I don't even know whether I really know. I've got my thoughts on the subject, from hearing kids talk, and their parents, but Yappi's not really the place. And I know absolutely nothing about what Bazley thought of it all. As far as this thread's concerned, I think my only point is that Bazley was leaving a sinking ship. If your school's calculus teacher left and they couldn't or didn't replace him, would you ask a budding mathematician to stay anyway because tough times build character? Or would you find her a place where she can take the classes she needs?

----

The short version for public consumption:

There was a coaching change in 2014. The prior coach was a young guy who'd been successful there, won a league title which hadn't happened in a while, was well liked and respected as far as I could tell. But he decided, for personal reasons, to leave coaching. The succession plan didn't work out, and things spiraled down pretty quickly.

Whatever. The year after Bazley left we went 0-23; we haven't won a league game since. It wasn't, and still isn't, a thriving program. Or department for that matter. My thoughts about boys basketball don't explain why the football team's lost 33 games in a row, volleyball's lost their last 53 league games, girls basketball just went 1-19.... It's a mess.

If anybody wants more than that, a public forum's not the place. I'll tell you over a beer.

Whoa.
Thanks for the additional info.
I moved away from SWO in the 90ís but have always kept an eye on stuff.

As a Greenhills HS alum we always loved a good beat down of Finneytown but what you describe is a sad state of affairs.
Good grief.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-18, 08:31 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirred not shaken View Post
with decisions come consequences if the nba does not work out and he wants to get his college degree he can pay for it himself like most americans have to.
+1. If you skip out on the NCAA, you skip out on the NCAA. I had mostly agreed with Irish's points 1-4 but 5 was just...and sorry Irish, but it was dumb.
Old 03-31-18, 09:17 AM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
+1. If you skip out on the NCAA, you skip out on the NCAA. I had mostly agreed with Irish's points 1-4 but 5 was just...and sorry Irish, but it was dumb.
I'm not sure that his #5 is dumb. It actually showed some thought on his part. Whether it's a good idea is debatable, but making a thoughtful argument is never dumb.
Simply calling it dumb WITHOUT being able to debate his point doesn't do anything to 1) make your point credible or 2) establish that you have any qualifications in this discussion to call his point "dumb".
Old 03-31-18, 09:30 AM
All Ohio

Yeoman is on a distinguished road
Quote:

The league might care if the players union twisted their arm. They went to bat for retired players in the last CBA, got them medical insurance, beefed up their pensions. They didn't need to do that--those concessions mattered a lot more to retirees no longer in the union who played back when salaries when low then they matter to the current crop of millionaires. They also asked for, and got, tuition reimbursement for former NBA players who wanted to go back and finish their degrees.

I don't remember what the service requirements are for all this--I think you have to have been in the league for a while to qualify. But I don't think it's completely outrageous to imagine them someday expanding the tuition part of the program to all drafted players.
Old 03-31-18, 09:43 AM
All American

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
MLB does it for drafted players- not sure they are more honorable, not sure how that came to be.
It's not guaranteed, but it is written into a lot of contracts....but not usually the lower round guys. Difference is that baseball has so many more guys than the NBA that it's a lot more of a longshot to make it to MLB than it is to NBA once you're drafted....and an NBA draft pick gets a lot more $$$ upfront, and even if he's the 12th guy on the bench he's making big $$$. A 10th round draft pick will be lucky to get $75-100k signing bonus then will make less than $10k a year in A and AA ball.
Old 03-31-18, 09:55 AM
Freshman

cdub4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Not for all draft picks . A 42nd round draft pick is not getting his college education paid for LOL. Maybe a first rounder.
Old 03-31-18, 11:18 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
I can see your point, but my thought was that since the NBA has been using the NCAA as a testing grounds for players for so long, then it would be poetic justice for the NCAA to come up with something to stick it the the NBA by giving some kids a second chance. By having the athletes have an opportunity to "opt back in", so to speak, before they declare for the NBA draft, then those kids would be on campus for a couple of years at least and increase their chances of completing a college education. Since the line between amateur and professional has become SO clouded anyway, I was just trying to think of ways to ultimately give the athletes more choices and opportunities. It may be dumb idea, but it's not the dumbest one I've seen on these threads!!!! At least my hart is in the right place!
Old 03-31-18, 12:16 PM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
For education proponents, why not just have a forced college savings plan contribution? Similar to an automatic pension investment withdrawal, for kids going the G-League route have a 10-14% paycheck reduction for a college savings investment plan.

If a kid washes out in 2-3 years there should at least be enough money to pay their way through a two year associate's program. If they get (and save) a 5-6 figure shoe company endorsement for 1-2 years, they could pay for a whole lot more than an associate's. If they make it to the NBA, they can defer it to later or transfer to a spouse/child at a later date.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-18, 07:48 PM
All Region

Curious One is on a distinguished road
Best wishes to Bazley for choosing his own path instead of blinding following the “pretend college” crowd! Hopefully, he opens the door for another option for kids!
Old 04-01-18, 06:59 AM
Junior Varsity

Talk some sense is on a distinguished road
Trickle down

One side effect of this becoming a path might be that kids who have really, really, really marginal chances of making a living playing hoops may not work at all in high school since they "don't have to worry" about academically qualifying for college. So their dream / delusion may take away the DI - III route as an option when the reality that the G-league doesn't want them eventually takes hold. At least the NCAA standards prompt some kids to work harder to qualify.
Old 04-01-18, 10:47 AM
All American

At least according to the plan suggested by the NBA, the league will tell the athletes which players it is interested in. So hopefully, there wouldn't be TOO many delusional players missing out, especially in D2 and D3. But I have a hard time seeing the NBA being willing to commit the time and money necessary to scout the AAU circuit!
Old 04-01-18, 10:57 AM
Junior Varsity

Talk some sense is on a distinguished road
Trickle down

I guess what I meant was kids slacking off in school even more before they get a read from the league. Not for the best of the best.
Old 04-01-18, 11:24 AM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk some sense View Post
One side effect of this becoming a path might be that kids who have really, really, really marginal chances of making a living playing hoops may not work at all in high school since they "don't have to worry" about academically qualifying for college. So their dream / delusion may take away the DI - III route as an option when the reality that the G-league doesn't want them eventually takes hold. At least the NCAA standards prompt some kids to work harder to qualify.
Or basically the reasons he's making this move...
Old 04-02-18, 08:15 AM
All American

Bo Kimble is on a distinguished road
I read (sometime in the last 5 yrs) the D/G League had opportunities for players to be enrolled in classes through the University of Phoenix, that partnership may have dissolved but I’m surprised I haven’t seen that mentioned.
Old 04-02-18, 09:19 AM
Junior Varsity

scsweeper19 is on a distinguished road
The other thing to remember about MLB is that you can get drafted out of high school, not like who or where you were drafted and still go to college to improve your daft stock. Now if you do go to college you must stay 3 years before draft eligible again. I think I read somewhere that they were able to hire an agent/adviser and still some how maintain NCAA eligibility. Why is it that the NBA can't do something like this, let kids see if they are good enough to get drafted out of HS, go to workouts, pre-draft combine, ect. if they dont like where they get drafted allow them to go to college but have to stay for 2-3 years. This all falls on both the NBA and NCAA to do what is right for these young men. I know for me if I had a company offer to pay me over a million a year right out of high school, I would never have gone to college.
Old 04-02-18, 01:26 PM
Junior Varsity

just me being me is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youknow View Post
I get chasing the money, but what happens if it doesnt work? Now you are another dude with no education because you've been cake walked through high school and now have 0 eligibility for college.
I agree 100% and who are in these players ears to do this.
Old 04-02-18, 03:20 PM
Varsity

Roy Tucker is on a distinguished road
My guess is that he signs a shoe deal for a princely sum that more than covers 4 years of college if he needs it.
Old 04-02-18, 04:10 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
My guess is that he signs a shoe deal for a princely sum that more than covers 4 years of college if he needs it.
What makes you think he's so great that he will be sought after for a shoe deal? Maybe I'm missing something here.

Old 04-02-18, 04:27 PM
All Yappi

He might get a cheap 1-2 year endorsement with a shoe company hedging a bet just in case he makes it. I wouldn't be surprised if Nike or Adidas pays him 20-30k to wear a star athlete's shoe this coming year. Nobody's going to be signing him for a princely sum unless it looks like he's going to go from the G-League to being a high lottery pick.

Old 04-03-18, 06:58 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
What makes you think he's so great that he will be sought after for a shoe deal? Maybe I'm missing something here.

Have you missed the entire last 9 months of college basketball?
Old 04-03-18, 07:09 AM
All World

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Bazley is ranked as the 8th best prospect in the nation by 247 sports at any position. You don't think shoe companies and agents are not offering him money.
Old 04-03-18, 07:25 AM
All Yappi

Interesting to see how the market plays out here regarding endorsements. I'd imagine that the black market for college stars is going to prove to be worth far more than the G-League market for minor leaguers.

Old 04-03-18, 07:38 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
Bazley is ranked as the 8th best prospect in the nation by 247 sports at any position. You don't think shoe companies and agents are not offering him money.
Not really.