Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-29-18, 03:11 PM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Darius Bazley reportedly set to forego college for NBA G-League

It was just a matter of time! Good luck to the young man.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...gue/470850002/

https://sports.yahoo.com/projected-t...193725979.html

Last edited by Irish60; 03-29-18 at 03:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-18, 03:21 PM
Junior Varsity

braygatron4 is on a distinguished road
This is crazy, I didn't even know (1) you could even do this and (2) the G-League had their own separate draft in October...Do they enter the regular draft after one year in the G-League or are they just a member of whatever organization drafts them in the G-League draft?

This is the beginning of the end of college basketball. All the one-and-dones are going to start following in his footsteps. Unless they start paying the college athletes, this may become the new norm for the one-and-dones.
Old 03-29-18, 03:29 PM
All Ohio

Youknow is on a distinguished road
I get chasing the money, but what happens if it doesnt work? Now you are another dude with no education because you've been cake walked through high school and now have 0 eligibility for college.
Old 03-29-18, 03:31 PM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youknow View Post
I get chasing the money, but what happens if it doesnt work? Now you are another dude with no education because you've been cake walked through high school and now have 0 eligibility for college.
Would that be any different than if he spent a year in college and then entered the 2019 draft?
Old 03-29-18, 03:34 PM
All American

oxat622
Quote:
Originally Posted by braygatron4 View Post

This is the beginning of the end of college basketball. All the one-and-dones are going to start following in his footsteps. Unless they start paying the college athletes, this may become the new norm for the one-and-dones.
And as a huge follower of college basketball, I'm good with this. Ben Simmons made it no secret he was wasting his time in college. I want my college basketball players to at least be interested in earning a degree.

As a Princeton alum, I have to know, in the 2019 NBA draft, will he be announced as from Princeton High School or the Fort Wayne Mad Ants? This is important.
Old 03-29-18, 03:35 PM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
I'll preface this by saying I don't think he makes it to the NBA.

You go overseas to play basketball where even someone like Bazley can make a few hundred grand a year.
Old 03-29-18, 03:35 PM
All World

kingpin2010 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This is crazy, I didn't even know (1) you could even do this and (2) the G-League had their own separate draft in October...Do they enter the regular draft after one year in the G-League or are they just a member of whatever organization drafts them in the G-League draft?

Players have done this before, most notably Gianis' brother. They do enter the NBA draft after the year in the G-League, the only players the parent team controls are the players it assigns from their main roster and those it has signed to the new 2-way contracts. The rest of the roster can be signed by any NBA team at any time.

I don't foresee a huge amount of players choosing to do this since they haven't already, and the pay is horrible (19-26,000).
Old 03-29-18, 03:38 PM
All American

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxat622 View Post
And as a huge follower of college basketball, I'm good with this. Ben Simmons made it no secret he was wasting his time in college. I want my college basketball players to at least be interested in earning a degree.

As a Princeton alum, I have to know, in the 2019 NBA draft, will he be announced as from Princeton High School or the Fort Wayne Mad Ants? This is important.
Maybe 40 years ago a college degree was worth something but today a college degree isn't really worth much.
Old 03-29-18, 03:38 PM
All World

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Or the beginning of a new era in college bball.
Old 03-29-18, 03:41 PM
All World

Quote:
From what I have read his salary will be around $30,000 but does not have to pretend that he is going to classes and just concentrate on bball.
Old 03-29-18, 03:41 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider6309 View Post
Maybe 40 years ago a college degree was worth something but today a college degree isn't really worth much.
Not quite

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...cord/96493348/
Old 03-29-18, 03:46 PM
All American

oxat622
Quote:
This doesn't change anything about my argument.
Old 03-29-18, 03:49 PM
All American

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin2010 View Post
That's cherry picked data. Ive met a lot of people that say the worst thing they did was go to college. Massive debt for an average job. I have a degree and I'm pretty dumb
Old 03-29-18, 03:52 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
Or the beginning of a new era in college bball.
Agreed. The one-and-dones have ruined college basketball. The most talked about players in college basketball most years are Freshmen. The years of a 4 year star player building up name recognition in college baseball have been nearly forgotten. Maybe this could change things where a 4 year degree and development of more stable players could make the game more interesting again. And just maybe, there will be enough success stories coming through college basketball that it will convince some kids that there really is value in building your game at a lower level rather than fizzling out of the NBA because they weren't really ready.
Old 03-29-18, 03:59 PM
All World

Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This is a VERY ignorant statement.

Of course the value of any education, be it a college degree, certification, apprenticeship, or whatever, is based on the value of said industry (both current and future projections) and what YOU as an individual are able to actual learn from that education. The value of any piece of paper saying you are qualified in that career is really only based on how intelligent the person holding it actually is.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-18, 04:02 PM
All World

Quote:
That's cherry picked data. Ive met a lot of people that say the worst thing they did was go to college. Massive debt for an average job. I have a degree and I'm pretty dumb
All cherry picked I guess, but not your extreme cherry picked anecdote

https://www.usnews.com/news/articles...l-grads-widens

https://www.cornerstone.edu/blogs/li...h-school-grads

https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=77

https://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2016/mo...arter-2016.htm
Old 03-29-18, 04:03 PM
All Ohio

Look Ma No Hands is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
Would that be any different than if he spent a year in college and then entered the 2019 draft?
Not really.
However, now, if you think you're a one-and-done, and you're not ready for the nba after a year, you can stay in school. You can't choose college after doing the G league.

Also, if you have a career ending injury in your first year, and you're on an athletic scholarship, you can still get a degree and have a life. If you're in the G league, and have a career ending injury, you're toast.
Old 03-29-18, 04:08 PM
All Ohio

The whole one-and-done thing is a waste.
The NCAA talks about the STUDENT-athlete. What kind of EDUCATION are these one-and-doners getting?
Even more, after their college season is over, are you trying to tell me these kids are going to classes. HAHAHAHA.
The pretense that these kids are getting an education is a joke.

It's really bad, when the man at the front of the phrase "student-athlete," Duke's Coach K, is loading up his roster with one-and-done guys.

Let's just be honest and let these kids go right to the NBA from high school.
BTW, whose rule is "one-and-done?" The NBA's? They just want to use one year of college to evaluate these kids? And save some money by not drafting them for a year?
Old 03-29-18, 04:11 PM
All American

oxat622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Look Ma No Hands View Post
The whole one-and-done thing is a waste.
The NCAA talks about the STUDENT-athlete. What kind of EDUCATION are these one-and-doners getting?
Even more, after their college season is over, are you trying to tell me these kids are going to classes. HAHAHAHA.
The pretense that these kids are getting an education is a joke.

It's really bad, when the man at the front of the phrase "student-athlete," Duke's Coach K, is loading up his roster with one-and-done guys.

Let's just be honest and let these kids go right to the NBA from high school.
BTW, whose rule is "one-and-done?" The NBA's? They just want to use one year of college to evaluate these kids? And save some money by not drafting them for a year?
I agree with what you're saying, but what is K going to do? Not recruit the best players in the country?
Old 03-29-18, 04:17 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxat622 View Post
I agree with what you're saying, but what is K going to do? Not recruit the best players in the country?
"If you can't beat them...."

But hard for him to act like the academian now.
Crap, he has the top 3 recruits in the nation rolling in next year renting a dorm room for a year.
Old 03-29-18, 04:23 PM
All World

serpico is on a distinguished road
Quote:
"If you can't beat them...."

But hard for him to act like the academian now.
Crap, he has the top 3 recruits in the nation rolling in next year renting a dorm room for a year.
Coach K isnt making them leave Duke after a year. Im sure if he had his wish theyd stay four years. Not sure why you think this is on him - the one and done thing is an NBA creation.
Old 03-29-18, 05:11 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post
Coach K isnt making them leave Duke after a year. Im sure if he had his wish theyd stay four years. Not sure why you think this is on him - the one and done thing is an NBA creation.
Don't get me wrong. I'm as big a Coach K fan as there is.
And he's not making them leave, but he knows that they are.

It used to be that Coach Cal was considered a villain for making a living on one-and-doners.... while Coach K seemed to espouse the more traditional "student-athlete." I have to believe that Coach K struggles with the one-and-done" situation, but he struggles more with not being able to compete for a national title.

But its a farce. What does 2/3 of a year of school do for someone?
Old 03-29-18, 05:29 PM
All Ohio

Yeoman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Don't get me wrong. I'm as big a Coach K fan as there is.
And he's not making them leave, but he knows that they are.

It used to be that Coach Cal was considered a villain for making a living on one-and-doners.... while Coach K seemed to espouse the more traditional "student-athlete." I have to believe that Coach K struggles with the one-and-done" situation, but he struggles more with not being able to compete for a national title.

But its a farce. What does 2/3 of a year of school do for someone?
Maybe he'd have more success if he took a pass on the guys that were only going to be there a year? Three of the four teams currently competing for a national title have no one-and-done players at all, and the entire final four put together doesn't have as many as Duke or Kentucky get every year.
Old 03-29-18, 06:07 PM
All World

With Bazley going to the NBA G - League his de commitment this late puts the Orangeman in a bad spot. Wonder if the NBA will change the rules so the players have to decide sooner.
Old 03-29-18, 06:12 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Good ridden to these one and done athletes. Let them go pro right away.... I prefer 4 year athletes anyhow.... maybe we can clean up the College game and get back to the basics.

Last edited by vamp2syd; 03-29-18 at 06:41 PM.
Old 03-29-18, 06:27 PM
All American

The Dock is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
With Bazley going to the NBA G - League his de commitment this late puts the Orangeman in a bad spot. Wonder if the NBA will change the rules so the players have to decide sooner.
Won't someone please think of the schools that make millions of dollars on the backs of unpaid athletes?!
Old 03-29-18, 06:35 PM
All Ohio

Yeoman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I don't think this has anything to do with chasing the money. The max salary in the g-league without an NBA contract is $26k and until that first year is up and he's draft-eligible he can't sign an NBA contract.
Old 03-29-18, 06:53 PM
All District

HardCorps is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
At least in college he would look good versus some occasional scrubs.
Old 03-29-18, 07:14 PM
All Region

Man Up is on a distinguished road
Well it’s s little obvious someone got to him and his family, maybe some slime sneaky agent telling his family this and that.

Or perhaps, his family might need financial help now, any money is better than nothing. Have no idea what is happening with this young man and the decision they have made.

We really have no idea what goes through a young mans mind and how they have arrived at this decision.

At the end of the day, it’s his business and his family business and they’ll have to live with that good or bad, whatever the case I hope it works out for him.

Last edited by Man Up; 03-29-18 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Add
Old 03-29-18, 07:19 PM
All American

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
No kid is guaranteed to be a one and done. If you go to college and can play in the league then yep you leave. A lot of kids go to college and find out they aren't ready. Good thing for them is they can stay in school. Bazley doesn't have that option now. Does anyone think a kid that aberaged 15 pts a game in HS doesn't need some college to prepare him for the NBA? Who is telling this kid to skip college?