Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-29-18, 03:11 PM
Irish60 Irish60 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-17-14
Posts: 1,863
Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Darius Bazley reportedly set to forego college for NBA G-League

It was just a matter of time! Good luck to the young man.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...gue/470850002/

https://sports.yahoo.com/projected-t...193725979.html

Last edited by Irish60; 03-29-18 at 03:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 03-29-18, 03:21 PM
braygatron4 braygatron4 is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-30-17
Posts: 37
braygatron4 is on a distinguished road
This is crazy, I didn't even know (1) you could even do this and (2) the G-League had their own separate draft in October...Do they enter the regular draft after one year in the G-League or are they just a member of whatever organization drafts them in the G-League draft?

This is the beginning of the end of college basketball. All the one-and-dones are going to start following in his footsteps. Unless they start paying the college athletes, this may become the new norm for the one-and-dones.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-29-18, 03:29 PM
Youknow Youknow is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 10-06-15
Posts: 615
Youknow is on a distinguished road
I get chasing the money, but what happens if it doesnt work? Now you are another dude with no education because you've been cake walked through high school and now have 0 eligibility for college.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-29-18, 03:31 PM
Irish60 Irish60 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-17-14
Posts: 1,863
Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youknow View Post
I get chasing the money, but what happens if it doesnt work? Now you are another dude with no education because you've been cake walked through high school and now have 0 eligibility for college.
Would that be any different than if he spent a year in college and then entered the 2019 draft?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-29-18, 03:34 PM
oxat622 oxat622 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 08-25-05
Location: Oakley
Posts: 1,458
oxat622
Quote:
Originally Posted by braygatron4 View Post

This is the beginning of the end of college basketball. All the one-and-dones are going to start following in his footsteps. Unless they start paying the college athletes, this may become the new norm for the one-and-dones.
And as a huge follower of college basketball, I'm good with this. Ben Simmons made it no secret he was wasting his time in college. I want my college basketball players to at least be interested in earning a degree.

As a Princeton alum, I have to know, in the 2019 NBA draft, will he be announced as from Princeton High School or the Fort Wayne Mad Ants? This is important.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-29-18, 03:35 PM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 4,040
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youknow View Post
I get chasing the money, but what happens if it doesnt work? Now you are another dude with no education because you've been cake walked through high school and now have 0 eligibility for college.
I'll preface this by saying I don't think he makes it to the NBA.

You go overseas to play basketball where even someone like Bazley can make a few hundred grand a year.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-29-18, 03:35 PM
kingpin2010 kingpin2010 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-27-10
Location: McDonald, OH
Posts: 4,103
kingpin2010 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by braygatron4 View Post
This is crazy, I didn't even know (1) you could even do this and (2) the G-League had their own separate draft in October...Do they enter the regular draft after one year in the G-League or are they just a member of whatever organization drafts them in the G-League draft?

This is the beginning of the end of college basketball. All the one-and-dones are going to start following in his footsteps. Unless they start paying the college athletes, this may become the new norm for the one-and-dones.
Players have done this before, most notably Gianis' brother. They do enter the NBA draft after the year in the G-League, the only players the parent team controls are the players it assigns from their main roster and those it has signed to the new 2-way contracts. The rest of the roster can be signed by any NBA team at any time.

I don't foresee a huge amount of players choosing to do this since they haven't already, and the pay is horrible (19-26,000).
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-29-18, 03:38 PM
Raider6309 Raider6309 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 04-12-15
Location: Athens
Posts: 1,789
Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxat622 View Post
And as a huge follower of college basketball, I'm good with this. Ben Simmons made it no secret he was wasting his time in college. I want my college basketball players to at least be interested in earning a degree.

As a Princeton alum, I have to know, in the 2019 NBA draft, will he be announced as from Princeton High School or the Fort Wayne Mad Ants? This is important.
Maybe 40 years ago a college degree was worth something but today a college degree isn't really worth much.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-29-18, 03:38 PM
Stirred not Shaken Stirred not Shaken is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 12-05-14
Posts: 2,613
Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by braygatron4 View Post
This is the beginning of the end of college basketball. All the one-and-dones are going to start following in his footsteps. Unless they start paying the college athletes, this may become the new norm for the one-and-dones.
Or the beginning of a new era in college bball.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-29-18, 03:41 PM
Stirred not Shaken Stirred not Shaken is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 12-05-14
Posts: 2,613
Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youknow View Post
I get chasing the money, but what happens if it doesnt work? Now you are another dude with no education because you've been cake walked through high school and now have 0 eligibility for college.
From what I have read his salary will be around $30,000 but does not have to pretend that he is going to classes and just concentrate on bball.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-29-18, 03:41 PM
kingpin2010 kingpin2010 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-27-10
Location: McDonald, OH
Posts: 4,103
kingpin2010 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider6309 View Post
Maybe 40 years ago a college degree was worth something but today a college degree isn't really worth much.
Not quite

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...cord/96493348/
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-29-18, 03:46 PM
oxat622 oxat622 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 08-25-05
Location: Oakley
Posts: 1,458
oxat622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider6309 View Post
Maybe 40 years ago a college degree was worth something but today a college degree isn't really worth much.
This doesn't change anything about my argument.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-29-18, 03:49 PM
Raider6309 Raider6309 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 04-12-15
Location: Athens
Posts: 1,789
Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin2010 View Post
That's cherry picked data. Ive met a lot of people that say the worst thing they did was go to college. Massive debt for an average job. I have a degree and I'm pretty dumb
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-29-18, 03:52 PM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 50,071
Yappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
Or the beginning of a new era in college bball.
Agreed. The one-and-dones have ruined college basketball. The most talked about players in college basketball most years are Freshmen. The years of a 4 year star player building up name recognition in college baseball have been nearly forgotten. Maybe this could change things where a 4 year degree and development of more stable players could make the game more interesting again. And just maybe, there will be enough success stories coming through college basketball that it will convince some kids that there really is value in building your game at a lower level rather than fizzling out of the NBA because they weren't really ready.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-29-18, 03:59 PM
Philly_Cat Philly_Cat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-11-13
Posts: 3,353
Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider6309 View Post
Maybe 40 years ago a college degree was worth something but today a college degree isn't really worth much.
This is a VERY ignorant statement.

Of course the value of any education, be it a college degree, certification, apprenticeship, or whatever, is based on the value of said industry (both current and future projections) and what YOU as an individual are able to actual learn from that education. The value of any piece of paper saying you are qualified in that career is really only based on how intelligent the person holding it actually is.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-29-18, 04:02 PM
kingpin2010 kingpin2010 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-27-10
Location: McDonald, OH
Posts: 4,103
kingpin2010 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider6309 View Post
That's cherry picked data. Ive met a lot of people that say the worst thing they did was go to college. Massive debt for an average job. I have a degree and I'm pretty dumb
All cherry picked I guess, but not your extreme cherry picked anecdote

https://www.usnews.com/news/articles...l-grads-widens

https://www.cornerstone.edu/blogs/li...h-school-grads

https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=77

https://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2016/mo...arter-2016.htm
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-29-18, 04:03 PM
Look Ma No Hands Look Ma No Hands is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 10-04-06
Posts: 838
Look Ma No Hands is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
Would that be any different than if he spent a year in college and then entered the 2019 draft?
Not really.
However, now, if you think you're a one-and-done, and you're not ready for the nba after a year, you can stay in school. You can't choose college after doing the G league.

Also, if you have a career ending injury in your first year, and you're on an athletic scholarship, you can still get a degree and have a life. If you're in the G league, and have a career ending injury, you're toast.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-29-18, 04:08 PM
Look Ma No Hands Look Ma No Hands is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 10-04-06
Posts: 838
Look Ma No Hands is on a distinguished road
The whole one-and-done thing is a waste.
The NCAA talks about the STUDENT-athlete. What kind of EDUCATION are these one-and-doners getting?
Even more, after their college season is over, are you trying to tell me these kids are going to classes. HAHAHAHA.
The pretense that these kids are getting an education is a joke.

It's really bad, when the man at the front of the phrase "student-athlete," Duke's Coach K, is loading up his roster with one-and-done guys.

Let's just be honest and let these kids go right to the NBA from high school.
BTW, whose rule is "one-and-done?" The NBA's? They just want to use one year of college to evaluate these kids? And save some money by not drafting them for a year?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-29-18, 04:11 PM
oxat622 oxat622 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 08-25-05
Location: Oakley
Posts: 1,458
oxat622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Look Ma No Hands View Post
The whole one-and-done thing is a waste.
The NCAA talks about the STUDENT-athlete. What kind of EDUCATION are these one-and-doners getting?
Even more, after their college season is over, are you trying to tell me these kids are going to classes. HAHAHAHA.
The pretense that these kids are getting an education is a joke.

It's really bad, when the man at the front of the phrase "student-athlete," Duke's Coach K, is loading up his roster with one-and-done guys.

Let's just be honest and let these kids go right to the NBA from high school.
BTW, whose rule is "one-and-done?" The NBA's? They just want to use one year of college to evaluate these kids? And save some money by not drafting them for a year?
I agree with what you're saying, but what is K going to do? Not recruit the best players in the country?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-29-18, 04:17 PM
Look Ma No Hands Look Ma No Hands is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 10-04-06
Posts: 838
Look Ma No Hands is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxat622 View Post
I agree with what you're saying, but what is K going to do? Not recruit the best players in the country?
"If you can't beat them...."

But hard for him to act like the academian now.
Crap, he has the top 3 recruits in the nation rolling in next year renting a dorm room for a year.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-29-18, 04:23 PM
serpico serpico is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-22-07
Posts: 2,551
serpico is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Look Ma No Hands View Post
"If you can't beat them...."

But hard for him to act like the academian now.
Crap, he has the top 3 recruits in the nation rolling in next year renting a dorm room for a year.
Coach K isnt making them leave Duke after a year. Im sure if he had his wish theyd stay four years. Not sure why you think this is on him - the one and done thing is an NBA creation.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-29-18, 05:11 PM
Look Ma No Hands Look Ma No Hands is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 10-04-06
Posts: 838
Look Ma No Hands is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post
Coach K isnt making them leave Duke after a year. Im sure if he had his wish theyd stay four years. Not sure why you think this is on him - the one and done thing is an NBA creation.
Don't get me wrong. I'm as big a Coach K fan as there is.
And he's not making them leave, but he knows that they are.

It used to be that Coach Cal was considered a villain for making a living on one-and-doners.... while Coach K seemed to espouse the more traditional "student-athlete." I have to believe that Coach K struggles with the one-and-done" situation, but he struggles more with not being able to compete for a national title.

But its a farce. What does 2/3 of a year of school do for someone?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-29-18, 05:29 PM
Yeoman Yeoman is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 10-25-11
Posts: 559
Yeoman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Look Ma No Hands View Post
Don't get me wrong. I'm as big a Coach K fan as there is.
And he's not making them leave, but he knows that they are.

It used to be that Coach Cal was considered a villain for making a living on one-and-doners.... while Coach K seemed to espouse the more traditional "student-athlete." I have to believe that Coach K struggles with the one-and-done" situation, but he struggles more with not being able to compete for a national title.

But its a farce. What does 2/3 of a year of school do for someone?
Maybe he'd have more success if he took a pass on the guys that were only going to be there a year? Three of the four teams currently competing for a national title have no one-and-done players at all, and the entire final four put together doesn't have as many as Duke or Kentucky get every year.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-29-18, 06:07 PM
Stirred not Shaken Stirred not Shaken is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 12-05-14
Posts: 2,613
Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
With Bazley going to the NBA G - League his de commitment this late puts the Orangeman in a bad spot. Wonder if the NBA will change the rules so the players have to decide sooner.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-29-18, 06:12 PM
vamp2syd vamp2syd is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-24-02
Location: HH Wayne 35 Moeller 17
Posts: 35,968
vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Good ridden to these one and done athletes. Let them go pro right away.... I prefer 4 year athletes anyhow.... maybe we can clean up the College game and get back to the basics.

Last edited by vamp2syd; 03-29-18 at 06:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-29-18, 06:27 PM
The Dock The Dock is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-05-10
Location: Lancaster(-ish), OH
Posts: 1,287
The Dock is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
With Bazley going to the NBA G - League his de commitment this late puts the Orangeman in a bad spot. Wonder if the NBA will change the rules so the players have to decide sooner.
Won't someone please think of the schools that make millions of dollars on the backs of unpaid athletes?!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-29-18, 06:35 PM
Yeoman Yeoman is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 10-25-11
Posts: 559
Yeoman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youknow View Post
I get chasing the money, but what happens if it doesnt work? Now you are another dude with no education because you've been cake walked through high school and now have 0 eligibility for college.
I don't think this has anything to do with chasing the money. The max salary in the g-league without an NBA contract is $26k and until that first year is up and he's draft-eligible he can't sign an NBA contract.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-29-18, 06:53 PM
HardCorps HardCorps is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 02-22-17
Posts: 200
HardCorps is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
Would that be any different than if he spent a year in college and then entered the 2019 draft?
At least in college he would look good versus some occasional scrubs.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-29-18, 07:14 PM
Man Up Man Up is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 01-02-11
Posts: 315
Man Up is on a distinguished road
Well it’s s little obvious someone got to him and his family, maybe some slime sneaky agent telling his family this and that.

Or perhaps, his family might need financial help now, any money is better than nothing. Have no idea what is happening with this young man and the decision they have made.

We really have no idea what goes through a young mans mind and how they have arrived at this decision.

At the end of the day, it’s his business and his family business and they’ll have to live with that good or bad, whatever the case I hope it works out for him.

Last edited by Man Up; 03-29-18 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Add
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-29-18, 07:19 PM
tcgobucks tcgobucks is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 01-21-11
Posts: 1,047
tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
No kid is guaranteed to be a one and done. If you go to college and can play in the league then yep you leave. A lot of kids go to college and find out they aren't ready. Good thing for them is they can stay in school. Bazley doesn't have that option now. Does anyone think a kid that aberaged 15 pts a game in HS doesn't need some college to prepare him for the NBA? Who is telling this kid to skip college?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Federal League Expansion MATCAT67 Football 830 06-23-18 05:58 PM
How the College Recruiting Process Works ARA 212 Wrestling 0 01-11-18 01:52 PM
Thursday Night (9-14): Canton Central Catholic (0-3) @ St. Thomas Aquinas (1-2) Mr. Slippery Football 118 09-18-17 08:44 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz