Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-30-18, 05:58 AM
All American

my2sense is on a distinguished road
Per Joe Scalzo:

The Mck job has attracted more than 30 applications. One challenge is finding a coach certified in the areas where McK has teaching openings.

Hoover has about 12 applicants. Hoover is facing a levy May 8 which if it fails will mean cuts in teaching positions. They want to have a coach in place before the levy. AD Walker was asked if he was a candidate for the coaching position he replied "I don't think so. That's been talked about and several people have asked me about it. At this time I don't foresee that being in the mix. I have a lot on my plate right now with 25 varsity spots."
Old 03-30-18, 09:02 AM
All Yappi

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
Per Joe Scalzo:

The Mck job has attracted more than 30 applications. One challenge is finding a coach certified in the areas where McK has teaching openings.

Hoover has about 12 applicants. Hoover is facing a levy May 8 which if it fails will mean cuts in teaching positions. They want to have a coach in place before the levy. AD Walker was asked if he was a candidate for the coaching position he replied "I don't think so. That's been talked about and several people have asked me about it. At this time I don't foresee that being in the mix. I have a lot on my plate right now with 25 varsity spots."
He said "...25 varsity sports" not "spots".
Old 03-30-18, 10:29 AM
All American

my2sense is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the correction.

The article also listed the ages of his kids, implying that a coaching gig would be even more unlikely.

Last edited by 111411; 03-30-18 at 10:59 AM.
Old 03-30-18, 10:42 AM
All Yappi

IUDOGS is on a distinguished road
Cool Early Predictions for Hoover and McKinley jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post

Thanks for the correction.

The article also listed the ages of his kids, implying that a coaching gig would be even more unlikely.
Oh, by the way, the Canton Repository article was done by Josh Weir.

Any body have any names yet????????

This is IUDOGS signing off.

Last edited by 111411; 03-30-18 at 10:59 AM.
Old 03-30-18, 06:33 PM
All World

Raymo is on a distinguished road
Thats 30 applications in,we need some names...BAM!
Old 04-06-18, 06:15 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymo View Post
Thats 30 applications in,we need some names...BAM!
The Rep has forty names today on the list,any favorites?
Old 04-06-18, 07:46 AM
Varsity

Localfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymo View Post
The Rep has forty names today on the list,any favorites?
Gary Grant
Old 04-06-18, 07:47 AM
All Ohio

WhatsupDoc
Have they posted who applied for the Hoover Job???
Old 04-06-18, 02:38 PM
Junior Varsity

Bigpup330 is on a distinguished road
Very interesting candidate that applied for McKinley Mark Taylor

Mark Taylor is the head coah at St. Benedict's Prep in New Jersey. An inner-city prep school. They are in the top ten in the country every year. They are one of the top basketball high schools in the country. Mark Taylor NOT Larry Taylor. Mark Taylor has revived programs everywhere he's been.. He's one of the the top high school coaches in THE COUNTRY!
Old 04-06-18, 02:51 PM
All Ohio

Look Ma No Hands is on a distinguished road
Tough spot for the AD.
You've got numerous McK basketball legends on that list.
The community will probably put pressure to hire one of those.
But I'm sorry. The community doesn't necessarily really know anything about what it takes to be a good coach and put together a good program.

I've said previously on here, being a legendary athlete doesn't necessarily translate to being a good coach. And Canton McKinley cannot be a place to train someone to be a good head coach.

And Malone says putting a district-wide program together is a priority. Do any of those legends have any experience doing that?

On the other hand, I didn't notice anyone on that list who would be on the "Who's who" of coaching either. Now, I didn't look at the list that closely.

Tough spot for Malone. I wish him the best in getting the right guy. I believe getting McKinley to be what they once were, will raise up basketball in the entire region.
Old 04-06-18, 08:06 PM
All American

Caleb is on a distinguished road
Does anybody know if these ex McKinley players actually have a teaching degree or any type of administration degrees. Have any of then actually been a head coach at the high school level with any success at all? Have any of them even attempted to do the things necessary to be a head coach at McKinley? Or do they think they can just put there name in and get the job because after all they played for McKinley. In todays Rep it sure sounded like Malone is looking for a teacher or administrator when he said the hire will be in the building. That tells me the odds of any ex players being the next head coach are slim to none.
Old 04-06-18, 10:30 PM
Varsity

foul ball is on a distinguished road
Will all you Bulldog fans get off the hiring a legend kick. Because someone was a good player it doesn't mean they can coach. I would venture to say that most of those in mention have no coaching experience at all. Wake up. Find a seasoned coach who is a proven winner. And don't worry about what the community thinks. Their job is to attend the games, not hire and or have any say so in who is employed in the system. Most important. hire a coach who is also a teacher. The two jobs go hand in hand.
Old 04-07-18, 03:37 AM
All American

Orangeman89
One name no one is mentioning is Steve White, formerly of Akron Buchtel.
Successful resume and a teacher. Checks all the boxes.
He's my dark horse pick.
Old 04-07-18, 08:58 AM
All Yappi

BigBulldog is an unknown quantity at this point
I remember years ago reading about Gary Grant coaching in high school and was very happy coaching where he was and wasn't interested in the McKinley coaching opening.Since then he was an assistant coach for San Diego St.

Hire him as a gym class teacher and he will get paid as the Basketball coach as well.

Last edited by BigBulldog; 04-07-18 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-07-18, 11:03 AM
All Yappi

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBulldog View Post
I remember years ago reading about Gary Grant coaching in high school and was very happy coaching where he was and wasn't interested in the McKinley coaching opening.Since then he has moved on to coaching in college.He is currently the assistant coach at San Diego St.
This is major misinformation. According to San Diego State's web site, Grant was an an assistant coach for just one season and that was in 2003/2004.
Old 04-07-18, 11:38 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBulldog View Post
I remember years ago reading about Gary Grant coaching in high school and was very happy coaching where he was and wasn't interested in the McKinley coaching opening.Since then he has moved on to coaching in college.He is currently the assistant coach at San Diego St.

Hire him as a gym class teacher and he will get paid as the Basketball coach as well.This would be a great hire!
Do we know if he is even certified to teach? Is he certified to teach physical education (what you call "gym")? Or do we think anyone can teach "gym?"
Old 04-07-18, 11:46 AM
All Ohio

Oh, and by the way, I'm not a fan of newspapers seeking out the list of applicants for a coaching job at a high school I know its legal. Public records act. But lets say all 40ish names on that list currently have head coaching jobs (I know that's not accurate, just making a point). 39 of those applicants aren't getting that job and will go back to their school to resume coaching. That coach will now be coaching kids (and parents of those kids) who know he was trying to leave them. I just don't think that's necessary in high school. Should it really be anybody's business if you apply for a job? Only because its a "public" school is that information even available. My 2 cents.
Old 04-07-18, 09:29 PM
Varsity

foul ball is on a distinguished road
Hey Look Ma No Hands-

You and a few others are beginning to put some sense into this story. The candidates for a job, whether it's a public school or not, should not be disclosed to ANYONE. Plain and simple for a lot of reasons. The only place they seem to do this is in Stark County because the fans are starving for information and think they are entitled to know who the applicants are. It is none of their damn business. 90% or more of fans have absolutely no idea what to look for in a coach. If they did, they wouldn't be screaming to bring back home town heroes who, in most cases, have no idea of what's involved in running a program and directing all the aspects of the job. At McKinley it's been the same old __ __ __ __ for years. Get a good coach, who knows what he's doing and you'll be making a lot of trips to Columbus almost every year in March.
Old 04-08-18, 04:56 AM
All District

JJBulldog is on a distinguished road
Mark Taylor sounds like the best so far. What a resume! One of the NATION'S BEST COACHES! A NO BRAINER!:
Old 04-08-18, 05:09 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigpup330 View Post
Very interesting candidate that applied for McKinley Mark Taylor

Mark Taylor is the head coah at St. Benedict's Prep in New Jersey. An inner-city prep school. They are in the top ten in the country every year. They are one of the top basketball high schools in the country. Mark Taylor NOT Larry Taylor. Mark Taylor has revived programs everywhere he's been.. He's one of the the top high school coaches in THE COUNTRY!
This is the most crucial hire in Bulldog history. A proven top class builder, developer of talent, and a BIG WINNER who can bring back the fans. The program can die with with unproven sentimental coaches. Malone can be a hero or a zero with his recommendation. Hope for the future of our program he's a hero!
Old 04-08-18, 06:53 AM
All Ohio

WhatsupDoc
It's nice that McKinley gets to see a list of who applied for the job. I've got a feeling the list appling for the Hoover job must be pretty bad they won't publish it.
Old 04-08-18, 09:05 AM
Success is Tradition!

just a fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBulldog View Post
Mark Taylor sounds like the best so far. What a resume! One of the NATION'S BEST COACHES! A NO BRAINER!:
He and his wife grew up in New Jersey, operate successful businesses in New Jersey, and are raising (or raised) their five boys in New Jersey. I don't see any ties to Ohio and, unless they've been reading Og Mandino books, I don't see them moving to Canton.

Last edited by just a fan; 04-08-18 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-08-18, 09:13 AM
Freshman

uconn1999 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBulldog View Post
I haven't posted for a while but felt the need to point this out. There's also a Mark Taylor who has coached at a few northeast Ohio high schools. Although I don't know for sure, it's probably more likely that he's the one who applied. Here's a link to an article from one of his stops:

http://www.starbeacon.com/sports/loc...37ea74d2c.html
Old 04-08-18, 10:23 AM
Success is Tradition!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uconn1999 View Post
I haven't posted for a while but felt the need to point this out. There's also a Mark Taylor who has coached at a few northeast Ohio high schools. Although I don't know for sure, it's probably more likely that he's the one who applied. Here's a link to an article from one of his stops:

Well, that would certainly make a lot more sense.
Old 04-08-18, 10:30 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsupDoc View Post
It's nice that McKinley gets to see a list of who applied for the job. I've got a feeling the list appling for the Hoover job must be pretty bad they won't publish it.
Has the application deadline at Hoover passed yet? Hairston stepped down a week earlier than Blackledge. I never read any articles or postings regarding the application timetable. I'd be surprised if no list is ever published, but if there are truly few to no teaching positions available, it may not be a massive list.
Old 04-08-18, 02:11 PM
All Ohio

WhatsupDoc
Mr Slippery,. If I remember right when the football job opened Hoover had to go with their 3rd or 4th choice. Y2h might know for sure.
Old 04-08-18, 02:17 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by uconn1999 View Post

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted! I'm still excited to see what happens. This is no job for anyone who isn't a proven winner at the head coaching position, that is for sure.
Old 04-10-18, 06:11 PM
Success is Tradition!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Look Ma No Hands View Post
Do we know if he is even certified to teach? Is he certified to teach physical education (what you call "gym")? Or do we think anyone can teach "gym?"
According to the Repository, a teaching certificate isn't required...

"Whether as a teacher or in some other capacity, Malone said the next head coach will be in the building. 'I think that is critical that we have the individual who is interacting with our students on a daily basis in the building, either in a teaching or non-teaching position,' he said."

http://www.cantonrep.com/sports/2018...-bryant-bowden
Old 05-09-18, 10:20 AM
All World

They have a new coach,teacher and hopefully a brighter future for the kids.