Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-16-18, 09:58 AM
All American

eyes r burning is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProV1 View Post
Opinion...Choosing schools solely on academics is limiting kids. Extra curriculars and social development are critical elements of high school and should be weighed when choosing a school. The relative weight of each depends on the kid. If I'm choosing between two highly rated (academic) public schools, but one is a superior extra curricular or social fit, there is nothing wring with making a decision based on those elements. In fact, I would argue that it is only smart.
I don't disagree when schools are similar as you state. My original post was in reply to a post about punishing a kid moving schools for training purposes.

Listen, sometimes kids don't fit with schools. I get that. By all means, transfer. You're free to do so. At that point, sitting out for a period of time athletically shouldn't matter. It's secondary. It sucks, but you're still free to participate in sports if you choose. You're still getting the benefits of extra curricular education and Social interaction, even with a suspension of competition. There are other activities outside of sports that child can be involved with if your true concern is social interaction and extras.

This new rule is to deter those doing it for strictly athletic purposes. If you look at HS basketball, it's nothing more than AAU teams at the state finals. I'm good with this change if approved.
Old 02-16-18, 09:59 AM
All District

mos07 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Screen View Post
So how many kids transfer by May 15th this year in anticipation of what the vote could possibly be? Over/under 10?
I think number is way OVER 10. I mean if you are even considering transferring, you have to do it.

Letís say the vote fails and you have buyerís remorse. Transfer back or cancel the transfer.... however that works.

If it passes and you did not do it... well then itís too late.

I think this puts anyone debating a transfer in a tough spot. They have to be proactive and submit the paperwork before the looming deadline.....
Old 02-16-18, 10:10 AM
All American

Big D 185 is on a distinguished road
Does anyone have a list of kids that transferred in Ohio and are wrestling or not in college?
I'll bet the number is less than 20%. To count, they should need to stay more than one year in college.
At Moeller, I can only think of 4 kids in the last 10 years and none of them wrestled in college.
Old 02-16-18, 10:57 AM
All District

bulldowg_Wrestling19 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambeau Fields View Post
I'm a fan of the endangered species known as "the 18 year old senior wrestler competing for his native school". Anything that moves us more in that direction gets my support.
Agreed. I still can't believe someone could be eligible to wrestle in the state finals and turn 20 the day after. Blows my mind.
Old 02-16-18, 11:04 AM
All District

bulldowg_Wrestling19 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFan1 View Post
Much better. Surely since 2013 transfers have went up. If you need your kid to go to that school that badly, do what's right and move there.
Old 02-16-18, 11:36 AM
Varsity

4YourHead is on a distinguished road
Just means the recruiting process is going to have to start a little sooner. Some of Ohio recruiting schools may have to close...............
Old 02-16-18, 12:35 PM
All World

Lambeau Fields will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4YourHead View Post
Just means the recruiting process is going to have to start a little sooner. ....
Like...."Middle School Post Season Training at O_______y L______y High School" , for example?
Old 02-16-18, 12:44 PM
All District

tantal is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftAmaniac View Post
If there is an opportunity for a kid to get better and improve himself by going to a different school With better coaches or better training partners or better opportunities why punish him
Because evidently that's what Ohio does. This is a bad rule, and this will make it worse. Great work, OHSAA. Let's put as many restrictions in place to hamstring kids who are trying to get better.
Old 02-16-18, 01:23 PM
All Ohio

severs0801 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyes r burning View Post
In the original post, the poster made it clear that athletics were the priority. There was a situation just down I-71 from me where a team had a transfer come in. That student went from the top school in that area to an average school. It happens and more often than you think. I do think that is rare. Most schools are very close to each other academically. Most transfers are a wash academically, unless inner city to suburb transfers. Inner city to private. Etc....

Then I read the second part Of this and I'm confused what you're trying to say. 99% of transfers, wrestling related, go to college to wrestle? Does that mean that those transfers are strictly wrestling related? That's how I'm reading it, so your first statement is fluff. Academics don't matter because they go to college to wrestle? Please help me out. Maybe I'm the only one confused by what you're trying to say.
My line of thought was if you're transferring because of wrestling the percentage going on college would be high.
Old 02-16-18, 01:53 PM
All District

CoachHoon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It's simple. Transfer before entering HS. If that's not viable, then move towns. If that doesn't work, then you sit.

I know it doesn't work this way, but transferring schools shouldn't be anything about better coaches, teams, partners. Transferring schools should be about academics and safety. If you're moving because of athletics, your priorities are out of whack.
Old 02-16-18, 02:04 PM
Varsity

Irishtony is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Like...."Middle School Post Season Training at O_______y L______y High School" , for example?
Old 02-16-18, 02:05 PM
All District

CoachHoon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suplexer130 View Post
I had a kid move in from Florida due to his parents divorcing and the state made him sit out. To prove change of residency you have to submit a ton of "proof" ranging from utility bills and drivers licenses and even your voter registration showing your current address in the proper district. In this case my wrestler's mother was not registered to vote and because of this the OHSAA denied it. It seems like these exceptions are easy to get approved.....they aren't.
This is strange. I have never had to show this much "proof". In fact, being a registered voter is not required by law so I'm not so sure that the OHSAA could even use that as a reason to deny participation.

The most I have had to show is court documents, that verified a child's custody status.
Old 02-16-18, 02:05 PM
Varsity

Irishtony is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldowg_Wrestling19 View Post
Agreed. I still can't believe someone could be eligible to wrestle in the state finals and turn 20 the day after. Blows my mind.
Old 02-16-18, 02:30 PM
Freshman

Jrob77 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Add another one
Old 02-16-18, 04:05 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
A critical mass of member schools evidently thinks transfers are enough of an issue to have this type of initiative put on the ballot.

While there are transfers in wrestling that involve athletes sitting out the first half of the year (SVSM had three kids this year in that situation, Genoa had one, yes there were others), where this seems to be an issue for member schools is primarily in basketball.

If you look at last year's state basketball tournament, the DIV state champions Lutheran East had a significant amount of their starters/rotation players competing at a different school the previous year. At least to me, that is fundamentally against the spirit of interscholastic athletics.

I think the proposal as written may or may not pass the membership. I do think the proposal as written would serve to deter the mass free agency that is going on in basketball (to what extent I don't know, as there are work-arounds that will for sure be figured out).
The problem with the proposal is that you're essentially forcing all student athletes to be married to their school. In wrestling, and other "individual sports", giving up the post season is everything. Yes, there are those who transfer to form "super teams". It happens. Always has. But what about the vast majority of kids that don't do this? What about kids that may be in situations that do not foster their development? I hope, if it passes, that there are many exceptions that would allow kids in lousy situations to be able to transfer penalty-free.
Old 02-16-18, 04:12 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantal View Post
you're essentially forcing all student athletes to be married to their school. .
The OHSAA does not determine where kids go to school, their parents make that determination when the choose a place of residence.
Old 02-16-18, 04:15 PM
All Region

Blast82.5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
And another one ...

One of my sons wrestled 82 in 8th grade ... was getting into puberty and we were trying like heck to get him up to triple digits for his freshman year, so that we would not be embarrasingly small at 106. People suggested the gray-shirt thing, and as much as I knew that season would be a "throw-away," I could not, in good conscience, hold back a well-adjusted good student. Had to stick to our guns, do the best he could, improve, live to fight another season. All worked out in the end (SC, 3X SP). Definitely the right decision (for us).
Old 02-16-18, 05:22 PM
All District

Quote:
The OHSAA does not determine where kids go to school, their parents make that determination when the choose a place of residence.
Your place of residence does not dictate where you must go to school. There are many different options these days. Parents have choices now, unlike years ago.
Old 02-16-18, 05:24 PM
Varsity

4YourHead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachHoon View Post
You mean someone would ACTUAL TRANSFER because of Athletics???? NO WAY!! I know one kid who did not have to transfer to get better: Kollin Moore
Old 02-16-18, 05:30 PM
All World

The Myth is on a distinguished road
Interscholastic sports should be about the community and the school. If they don't want to play a sport for that school because the school they live by isn't on their level then just participate in AAU or off-season events. Nothing is keeping kids from year round training. This may dilute the talent in high school sports but at least we can get some type of honest community based athletics again.
Old 02-16-18, 05:41 PM
All American

1_beast is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4YourHead View Post
You mean someone would ACTUAL TRANSFER because of Athletics???? NO WAY!! I know one kid who did not have to transfer to get better: Kollin Moore
Who?
Old 02-16-18, 05:50 PM
All District

Smoke Screen is on a distinguished road
Home

WRESTLING
KOLLIN MOORE
Kollin Moore
Class:
RS Sophomore
Hometown:
Burbank, Ohio
High School:
Norwayne
Weight:

02/16/2018

�� Martin, Moore & Ryan | Media Availability

02/11/2018

Rivalry Scuffle Goes to Ohio State, 18-15
Buckeye bonus points enough to garner victory

02/08/2018

NCAA Releases Individual RPI and Coaches Rankings
All eligible Buckeye starters are included in the rankings

02/03/2018

Bonus Points the Difference in 19-18 Road Loss at No. 1 Penn State
Ohio State tastes defeat for first time in 2017-18

01/28/2018

Buckeyes Blast Boilermakers, 35-7, in Top-25 Showdown
Ohio State moves to 12-0, 7-0

CAREER HONORS
• All-American (2017)
• Big Ten Champion (197 lbs. 2017)
• Third Place at NCAA Championships (197 lbs. 2017)
• Big Ten Freshman of the Year (2017)
• AWN All-Rookie Team (2017)

YEAR-BY-YEAR
Summer 2017
• Bronze medalist at the Jr. World Championships
• Qualified for his second Jr. World Team with a 5-0 performance at the Jr. World Team Trials
• Won all five of his matches by either pin or technical fall

2016-17 (Redshirt Freshman)
• Defeated top-seeded Brett Pfarr of Minnesota in the Big Ten finals, 15-11
• Averaged over 18.0 points/match in bouts that didn’t end in a pin
• Pinned fourth-seeded Jared Haught of Virginia Tech in the third place match at NCAAs
• Finished the season 33-4, tying the Ohio State record for total wins by a freshman
• Was 12-2 in duals and 8-1 vs. Big Ten opponents during the regular season
• Won 18 of his last 20 matches to close out the season
• 19 wins via bonus points (six falls, nine major decisions, four technical falls)
• Third place at the CKLV Invitaitonal
• All four of his losses came to the two 197 lbs. NCAA finalists
• Pin of Sully Cauley (Arizona State) clinched the dual vs. the Sun Devils
• Champion at the Eastern Michigan Open and 197B poll of the Journeymen Classic
• 8-4 vs. ranked opponents

Summer 2016
• Made the U.S. Junior World Team and qualified for the UWW Junior World Championships
• Took first place at the UWW Junior World Trials by going 5-0 and scoring a combined 55 points

2015-16 (Redshirt)
• Redshirted and competed in open tournaments
• Finished 25-4 with six major decisions, four technical falls and five falls
• Champion at the Findlay Open with three of five wins coming via bonus points
• Pinned Tyler Mattison of Mercyhurst in the second round (2:01) and Dalton Ishmal of Findlay in the semifinals while also adding a 19-3 tech fall in the opening round
• Second at the Eastern Michigan Open, third at the Penn State Open and fourth at the Michigan State Open
• 4-1 at the Edinboro Open

PRIOR TO OHIO STATE
• OHSAA state champion as a senior at 182 pounds
• Norwayne High School’s first-ever state champ
• 51-0 as a senior in 2014-15
• Won his state finals bout by technical fall, 23-8
• Did not give up an offensive point all season
• Two-time Garfield Heights district champion with an overall career record of 204-11
• One of only 11 Ohioans to ever win 200+ career matches
• The Post's Norwayne Male Athlete of the Year
• Two-time state finalist
• Finished 50-1 at 160 lbs. as a junior
• Only two losses in the last three years of high school were in the state finals
• Second at the NHSCA nationals to earn All-America honors
• Also played football (kicker), soccer and ran track at Norwayne
• Scored 21 goals for Norwayne's soccer team and was named the WCAL Player of the Year
Old 02-16-18, 06:13 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantal View Post
Your place of residence does not dictate where you must go to school. There are many different options these days.
Your place of residence (determined by your parent) absolutely determines your options. Both legally and logistically. If you live in the City of Columbus school district, then Upper Arlington Schools are not amongst your options. Neither are Olentangy Schools, because they are closed enrollment. Cleveland John Adams (open enrollment) or Toledo Central Catholic (parochial) are both legal alternatives but are not options due to logistical purposes. if a parent wants their child to attend one those schools, they can make that possible by moving. Fully within their control.

Regardless, the OHSAA is not determining where any child goes to school. That is not within their power or charter. Thus, the OHSAAA is not "marrying" any child to any school...as you asserted in your earlier post.
Old 02-16-18, 06:14 PM
All District

Mr.wrsln2 is on a distinguished road
How bout..kollin moore-norwayne.easier
Old 02-16-18, 06:22 PM
All American

eyes r burning is on a distinguished road
Who is Kollin? What is a Norwayne?
Old 02-16-18, 06:26 PM
All American

1_beast is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Who is Kollin? What is a Norwayne?
*that states he was a 2x Finalist, when in fact he was a 3x finalist. (A friend told me) Still not sure who it is.
Old 02-16-18, 06:28 PM
All Ohio

roughedge is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Myth View Post
Interscholastic sports should be about the community and the school. If they don't want to play a sport for that school because the school they live by isn't on their level then just participate in AAU or off-season events. Nothing is keeping kids from year round training. This may dilute the talent in high school sports but at least we can get some type of honest community based athletics again.
So what your saying is kids shouldn't be going to Catholic or private schools. Why do you believe a parent should have to send there kid to his home school when there community/coach don't want to put the time into the kids/team to make them better. Transfer rules was find to me.
Old 02-16-18, 06:41 PM
All District

Mr.wrsln2 is on a distinguished road
I think it is in nw.wayne co.not positive though.
Old 02-16-18, 06:52 PM
Junior Varsity

coachmjg is on a distinguished road
Personally, I think if they are trying to make the transfer rule more restrictive then there should be more exceptions. For example, if your school can no longer field a viable team, then you shouldn't be penalized. Yes, I know that's a lot of potential abuse there, but that's just one example.
Old 02-16-18, 07:02 PM
All District

mos07 is on a distinguished road
Folkstyle sucks anyway.... who wants to start training for Fargo?