Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-15-18, 07:08 PM
All Ohio

TheFan1 is on a distinguished road
OHSAA game changer for transfers

Toughts?
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...ces/341587002/
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-18, 07:13 PM
All Region

craftAmaniac is on a distinguished road
Horsecrap
Old 02-15-18, 07:17 PM
All District

bigredcoach is on a distinguished road
I agree! You want to move, then sit out tournament time!
Old 02-15-18, 07:33 PM
All American

ShyGuy is on a distinguished road
Starting this post over.

I think the current transfer rules are working for wrestling. I don’t know of any D1 schools in the SW getting a transfer (not even 1) that didn’t meet an exception.

Unless they plan on changing the exceptions, the transfers that did happen in the SW would have still happened under the new proposal.

Last edited by ShyGuy; 02-15-18 at 07:51 PM.
Old 02-15-18, 07:46 PM
All District

Coach JDean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyGuy View Post
I donít think the current transfer rule had much of an affect on wrestling. I canít think of even any transfers that didnít meet the exception benefiting say the top 5-6 D1 teams in the SW. This is assuming the exceptions stay pretty much the same.
True, but if the rumors are true about Skinner, Walker, and Donathan heading to LaSalle next year and help out an already stacked team, I wonder if this ruling could possibly affect that from happening? Maybe that was just "fake news" that I heard. Either way LaSalle should be great again. Coach Root and staff is doing a great job of taking them to the next level.
Old 02-15-18, 08:08 PM
All Ohio

CoachYing is on a distinguished road
Wow that is ridiculous.
Old 02-15-18, 08:31 PM
Varsity

Warriorviking is on a distinguished road
I absolutely love it unless kids parents move to a different school district.
Old 02-15-18, 08:46 PM
All American

eyes r burning is on a distinguished road
Love it.
Old 02-15-18, 08:56 PM
All American

darthmalice is on a distinguished road
But riddle me this, Batman, which sport and team is this in reference to? Super teams sound like basketball.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Last edited by darthmalice; 02-15-18 at 09:07 PM.
Old 02-15-18, 09:44 PM
All Region

Eagle112 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach JDean View Post
True, but if the rumors are true about Skinner, Walker, and Donathan heading to LaSalle next year and help out an already stacked team, I wonder if this ruling could possibly affect that from happening? Maybe that was just "fake news" that I heard. Either way LaSalle should be great again. Coach Root and staff is doing a great job of taking them to the next level.
If I read it right as long as they transfer prior to 5/31/18 date when rule goes into affect they would be ok?
Old 02-15-18, 09:53 PM
All District

Smoke Screen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftAmaniac View Post
Horsecrap
Why?
Old 02-15-18, 10:08 PM
All Yappi

bucksman will become famous soon enough
A critical mass of member schools evidently thinks transfers are enough of an issue to have this type of initiative put on the ballot.

While there are transfers in wrestling that involve athletes sitting out the first half of the year (SVSM had three kids this year in that situation, Genoa had one, yes there were others), where this seems to be an issue for member schools is primarily in basketball.

If you look at last year's state basketball tournament, the DIV state champions Lutheran East had a significant amount of their starters/rotation players competing at a different school the previous year. At least to me, that is fundamentally against the spirit of interscholastic athletics.

I think the proposal as written may or may not pass the membership. I do think the proposal as written would serve to deter the mass free agency that is going on in basketball (to what extent I don't know, as there are work-arounds that will for sure be figured out).
Old 02-15-18, 10:09 PM
All World

Lambeau Fields will become famous soon enough
I'm a fan of the endangered species known as "the 18 year old senior wrestler competing for his native school". Anything that moves us more in that direction gets my support.
Old 02-15-18, 10:31 PM
All American

Pantherontheporch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle112 View Post
If I read it right as long as they transfer prior to 5/31/18 date when rule goes into affect they would be ok?
From the news release on the OHSAA website:
"Member schools will vote on all proposed changes from May 1-15, with results announced on May 16. If approved by the membership, the change would become effective immediately and apply to any students who transfer after May 16, 2018."
Old 02-15-18, 10:35 PM
All Region

craftAmaniac is on a distinguished road
If there is an opportunity for a kid to get better and improve himself by going to a different school With better coaches or better training partners or better opportunities why punish him
Old 02-15-18, 10:48 PM
All American

ShyGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach JDean View Post
During my ďtenureĒ at La Salle, we heard rumors of multiple kids transferring to La Salle each and every year. None came to reality, which led to my first post stating my belief that the current transfer rules deter it enough as it relates to the sport of wrestling.
Old 02-15-18, 11:37 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftAmaniac View Post
If there is an opportunity for a kid to get better and improve himself by going to a different school With better coaches or better training partners or better opportunities why punish him
It's simple. Transfer before entering HS. If that's not viable, then move towns. If that doesn't work, then you sit.

I know it doesn't work this way, but transferring schools shouldn't be anything about better coaches, teams, partners. Transferring schools should be about academics and safety. If you're moving because of athletics, your priorities are out of whack.
Old 02-16-18, 03:43 AM
All American

1_beast is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyes r burning View Post
It's simple. Transfer before entering HS. If that's not viable, then move towns. If that doesn't work, then you sit.

I know it doesn't work this way, but transferring schools shouldn't be anything about better coaches, teams, partners. Transferring schools should be about academics and safety. If you're moving because of athletics, your priorities are out of whack.
Old 02-16-18, 06:06 AM
All District

mos07 is on a distinguished road
I just read through the list of exceptions; they range from bullying to academics, etc.... I really do not see this rule being a deterrent. Simply a headache and a little more paperwork. If a kid really wants to change schools, I think it will still happen without the forfeit of a postseason......
Old 02-16-18, 06:40 AM
Freshman

Jrob77 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Completely support this line of thinking. Seems like the popular thing has become to hold your kid back, possibly even twice if the birth date falls right, and then sort of sit back like a free agent after 8th grade and hand pick your school of choice. I for one believe all of the rules should start being implemented at the beginning of 7th grade as well.
Old 02-16-18, 07:22 AM
All Ohio

severs0801 is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=eyes r burning;6988534]It's simple. Transfer before entering HS. If that's not viable, then move towns. If that doesn't work, then you sit.

I know it doesn't work this way, but transferring schools shouldn't be anything about better coaches, teams, partners. Transferring schools should be about academics and safety. If you're moving because of athletics, your priorities are out of

I can't think of any of them that transferred and went to a school that was worse off academically, 99% of the kids go to college for wrestling.
Old 02-16-18, 07:41 AM
All American

ProV1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob77 View Post
Completely support this line of thinking. Seems like the popular thing has become to hold your kid back, possibly even twice if the birth date falls right, and then sort of sit back like a free agent after 8th grade and hand pick your school of choice. I for one believe all of the rules should start being implemented at the beginning of 7th grade as well.
That is going way to far. While I agree with a sit out rule for transfers in high school, applying it in middle school is beyond silly. First, you donít transfer from 8th grade to a high school. You enroll regardless if it is in your current district or not. Second, school districts donít own the rights to their students. If the point of transfer rules is to limit these super teams, that concept does not even exist in 7th grade. Middle school post season is all individual and who really cares, anyway?
Old 02-16-18, 07:53 AM
All World

Suplexer130 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mos07 View Post
I just read through the list of exceptions; they range from bullying to academics, etc.... I really do not see this rule being a deterrent. Simply a headache and a little more paperwork. If a kid really wants to change schools, I think it will still happen without the forfeit of a postseason......
I had a kid move in from Florida due to his parents divorcing and the state made him sit out. To prove change of residency you have to submit a ton of "proof" ranging from utility bills and drivers licenses and even your voter registration showing your current address in the proper district. In this case my wrestler's mother was not registered to vote and because of this the OHSAA denied it. It seems like these exceptions are easy to get approved.....they aren't.
Old 02-16-18, 09:11 AM
All Ohio

Campolongo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suplexer130 View Post
I had a kid move in from Florida due to his parents divorcing and the state made him sit out. To prove change of residency you have to submit a ton of "proof" ranging from utility bills and drivers licenses and even your voter registration showing your current address in the proper district. In this case my wrestler's mother was not registered to vote and because of this the OHSAA denied it. It seems like these exceptions are easy to get approved.....they aren't.
Same situation with us. We have a kid that was in Maryland last year and had to sit 1/2 season because Mom wasn't a registered voter.
Old 02-16-18, 09:16 AM
All American

Big D 185 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suplexer130 View Post
Unless you're in the country illegally. Then you are not allowed to ask for proof of residency, voter registration or citizenship. Maybe we should create some "Sanctuary Schools" for transfers.
Wait.... Are we saying the laws for playing high school sports are stricter than immigration laws?
Old 02-16-18, 09:18 AM
All American

ProV1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Opinion...Choosing schools solely on academics is limiting kids. Extra curriculars and social development are critical elements of high school and should be weighed when choosing a school. The relative weight of each depends on the kid. If I'm choosing between two highly rated (academic) public schools, but one is a superior extra curricular or social fit, there is nothing wrong with making a decision based on those elements. In fact, I would argue that it is only smart.

Last edited by ProV1; 02-16-18 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-16-18, 09:35 AM
All American

Quote:
I can't think of any of them that transferred and went to a school that was worse off academically, 99% of the kids go to college for wrestling.
In the original post, the poster made it clear that athletics were the priority. There was a situation just down I-71 from me where a team had a transfer come in. That student went from the top school in that area to an average school. It happens and more often than you think. I do think that is rare. Most schools are very close to each other academically. Most transfers are a wash academically, unless inner city to suburb transfers. Inner city to private. Etc....

Then I read the second part Of this and I'm confused what you're trying to say. 99% of transfers, wrestling related, go to college to wrestle? Does that mean that those transfers are strictly wrestling related? That's how I'm reading it, so your first statement is fluff. Academics don't matter because they go to college to wrestle? Please help me out. Maybe I'm the only one confused by what you're trying to say.
Old 02-16-18, 09:42 AM
All District

Smoke Screen is on a distinguished road
So how many kids transfer by May 15th this year in anticipation of what the vote could possibly be? Over/under 10?
Old 02-16-18, 09:45 AM
All District

Ohio Blast is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambeau Fields View Post
I'm a fan of the endangered species known as "the 18 year old senior wrestler competing for his native school". Anything that moves us more in that direction gets my support.
Lambeau I am not a huge fan of the upperweights that you champion but I have got to admit that you are becoming one of my favorite posters.
Old 02-16-18, 09:50 AM
All World

wash.c.h.legend is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Screen View Post
So how many kids transfer by May 15th this year in anticipation of what the vote could possibly be? Over/under 10?

Iíll take the over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk