Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #91  
Old 01-21-18, 09:56 AM
Carl Rick Carl Rick is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 02-28-09
Posts: 2,628
Carl Rick is on a distinguished road
Dear Strongsville,
Sean O'Toole.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 01-21-18, 10:53 AM
mustang fan mustang fan is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-26-03
Posts: 1,960
mustang fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by svilleresident92 View Post
...Oh well, wait 'til next year.
What's happening then?
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 01-23-18, 02:35 PM
MustangNation17 MustangNation17 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 04-25-17
Posts: 19
MustangNation17 is on a distinguished road
For those of you wanting O'Toole, can you tell me just exactly what he has done that has impressed you so much? You're seeing a big name out there and falling in love with the idea, but come on, Ignatius certainly had the talent year after year and only twice did they ever make it out of districts. Well respected? Yes. But certainly did not overachieve, which is what we need with the talent level we have right now.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 01-24-18, 06:14 PM
Myron Myron is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 05-14-01
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 1,459
Myron is on a distinguished road
O’Toole always had tough, successful teams at Euclid, which—like Strongsville—is a public school.
But with his kid at Gilmour, and playing there, I’m not sure he’d want to leave at this point. I’m sure that Gilmour education is coming very affordable to the O’Toole family
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 01-24-18, 09:07 PM
VilleBooster VilleBooster is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 02-25-17
Posts: 20
VilleBooster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangNation17 View Post
For those of you wanting O'Toole, can you tell me just exactly what he has done that has impressed you so much? You're seeing a big name out there and falling in love with the idea, but come on, Ignatius certainly had the talent year after year and only twice did they ever make it out of districts. Well respected? Yes. But certainly did not overachieve, which is what we need with the talent level we have right now.
Mickey Mouse would be a better situation than this sh!tshow we have now. We're in la-la-land if we think someone the caliber of O'toole, or any coach for that matter would touch this job at this point. What a joke the program has become. Collins wouldn't be 2-10 with this group!
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 01-25-18, 08:47 AM
mustang fan mustang fan is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-26-03
Posts: 1,960
mustang fan is on a distinguished road
District's problems and challenges go well beyond just one individual...Board and Administrator's performance lead in this regard...As a result, the district (in just about every aspect) is pretty much in a free-fall decline with no bottom in sight. Athletically, a few bright spots remain, but, they are limited in number and getting farther in between.
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 01-25-18, 09:32 AM
summit county player summit county player is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-05-07
Posts: 101
summit county player is on a distinguished road
Strongsville would be lucky to have O'toole. Yeah he won 2 districts at Ignatius which is pretty good considering they have to beat St.Ed's to get out.
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 01-25-18, 10:27 PM
svilleresident92 svilleresident92 is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 07-07-13
Posts: 36
svilleresident92 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang fan View Post
What's happening then?
Nothing, just reciting the usual failed year, Browns mantra.
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 01-25-18, 10:30 PM
svilleresident92 svilleresident92 is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 07-07-13
Posts: 36
svilleresident92 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleBooster View Post
Mickey Mouse would be a better situation than this sh!tshow we have now. We're in la-la-land if we think someone the caliber of O'toole, or any coach for that matter would touch this job at this point. What a joke the program has become. Collins wouldn't be 2-10 with this group!
Coach Collins basically got screwed over in the O'Toole love fest although he did not have an impressive record. At least Darren was about 30 years younger that this old dude who probably won't be back next year anyways if he survives this season.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 01-26-18, 11:45 AM
mustang fan mustang fan is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-26-03
Posts: 1,960
mustang fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by svilleresident92 View Post
Coach Collins basically got screwed over in the O'Toole love fest although he did not have an impressive record. At least Darren was about 30 years younger that this old dude who probably won't be back next year anyways if he survives this season.
A coach's age is not an issue with me.

Collins' varsity coaching record here my not be "impressive", however, as I indicated in post #37 of this thread, he did coach a boys Strongsville JV basketball team to an undefeated season about a dozen years ago...No juniors playing down...A couple of freshman playing up actually...The squad was better than a number of varsity teams around. With that being said, I think the issue of a less than stellar varsity coaching record at Strongsville for Collins has more to do with player talent than his ability to coach.

The manner in which the district leadership handled Collins' departure and Guilfoyle's hiring should be of no surprise to anyone that is familiar with the Board/Administration here...Its action is pretty much on par with the way they conduct the district's business in general. Bottom line for Collins, and I reiterate (post #52 of this thread), he should be glad he is out of here.
Reply With Quote
  #101  
Old 01-28-18, 10:00 PM
bengals wrestling bengals wrestling is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 09-24-15
Location: Brunswick
Posts: 122
bengals wrestling is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Rick View Post
Dear Strongsville,
Sean O'Toole.
Dear Strongsville,
I am coaching my sons at a far better school than Strongsville academically, with a better basketball program than Strongsville, and getting paid far more than you could ever think of offering. Call me when you can win more than 5 games in a season an I "MIGHT, JUST MIGHT" recommend one of my assistant coaches. But as for me, thanks but no thanks.
Sean O'Toole
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 01-28-18, 10:38 PM
bluengold bluengold is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-14-01
Posts: 1,832
bluengold
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals wrestling View Post
Dear Strongsville,
I am coaching my sons at a far better school than Strongsville academically, with a better basketball program than Strongsville, and getting paid far more than you could ever think of offering. Call me when you can win more than 5 games in a season an I "MIGHT, JUST MIGHT" recommend one of my assistant coaches. But as for me, thanks but no thanks.
Sean O'Toole
Dave Pfundstein is the coach at Gilmour
O'Toole is AD and asst coach
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 01-28-18, 11:42 PM
bengals wrestling bengals wrestling is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 09-24-15
Location: Brunswick
Posts: 122
bengals wrestling is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold View Post
Dave Pfundstein is the coach at Gilmour
O'Toole is AD and asst coach
Saw a couple of Gilmore games this year, including today's. Yes, I know that O'Toole is an assistant, but one could not tell by watching the game. He's the head coach.
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 01-29-18, 01:16 PM
Myron Myron is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 05-14-01
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 1,459
Myron is on a distinguished road
Right on cue—I heard there might be some trouble in paradise (again)(and other than 2-11) with the new coach??
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 01-29-18, 02:07 PM
mustang fan mustang fan is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-26-03
Posts: 1,960
mustang fan is on a distinguished road
Myron,

Are you able to elaborate further as to your comments from post #84? If not, how about sending me a private message instead?
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 01-30-18, 11:00 PM
svilleresident92 svilleresident92 is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 07-07-13
Posts: 36
svilleresident92 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron View Post
Right on cueóI heard there might be some trouble in paradise (again)(and other than 2-11) with the new coach??
Correction, now 2-12.
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 01-30-18, 11:04 PM
Carl Rick Carl Rick is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 02-28-09
Posts: 2,628
Carl Rick is on a distinguished road
Strongsville long term solution = Sean O'Toole
He will not stay at Gilmore long term unless he officially moves to the #1 chair.
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 01-31-18, 03:07 PM
FlannMann87 FlannMann87 is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 01-31-18
Posts: 48
FlannMann87 is on a distinguished road
There are two sides to every coin. Now a news story about the coach being a bully? What qualified coach is going to want to take over a school district right in Ed's and Ignatius's backyard? Not to mention the over bearing parents with unrealistic expectations. You would have to give O'toole more then Kirk Cousins to bail out the mess in Strongsville.
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 01-31-18, 04:17 PM
NotCharlesBarkley NotCharlesBarkley is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 12-11-13
Location: Lorain
Posts: 81
NotCharlesBarkley is on a distinguished road
http://fox8.com/2018/01/30/i-team-lo...tigated-twice/
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 01-31-18, 05:57 PM
Myron Myron is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 05-14-01
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 1,459
Myron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlannMann87 View Post
There are two sides to every coin. Now a news story about the coach being a bully? What qualified coach is going to want to take over a school district right in Ed's and Ignatius's backyard? Not to mention the over bearing parents with unrealistic expectations. You would have to give O'toole more then Kirk Cousins to bail out the mess in Strongsville.
Huge mess. Being a “bully” was a big part of the complaint about Lynch as I recall. So that makes two out of three coaches this decade (one of whom is a class act and Ohio Hall of Fame coach) who are labeled as bullies, and the third (also a class guy) gets fired for not having a good enough record.
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 01-31-18, 07:15 PM
MustangNation17 MustangNation17 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 04-25-17
Posts: 19
MustangNation17 is on a distinguished road
Its ridiculous that you can attempt to absolutely destroy a man's life by attacking him this way. I don't necessarily agree with his coaching philosophy, but he is NOT a "bully". There are a handful of kids/parents that want him gone because their own egos have been bruised this season. Their kids aren't playing as much as they think they should. Some kids quit because of that. Remember that we live in an age where you cant even look at a kid wrong or he will go running to his parents and sue the school. This is a case where, and very typical of this community lately, that the parents feel they run the system. This is a nice man who has hundreds and thousands of faithful supporters from his past that will say he has never done anything like this. And we are to believe that all of a sudden he throws kids around and swears at them? Congratulations Strongsville, you will get your wish and run this poor man out of town. Along with that, you've created an environment that NO qualified coach would ever touch with a ten foot pole!
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 02-01-18, 09:04 AM
mustang fan mustang fan is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-26-03
Posts: 1,960
mustang fan is on a distinguished road
Welcome to Strongsville Mr. Guilfoyle...I'm guessing that the coaching situation here is quite a bit different from what you have experienced previously...Take solace in knowing that (unless you are relieved of your duties prior to season's end) you can walk away from this disaster of a program and school system at season's end...And for those players (and parents, if applicable) that went to the administration concerning Guilfoyle's performance and/or actions, I hope that they (players and parents) were just as critical and scrutinizing of their own performance as well.
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 02-01-18, 09:37 AM
Myron Myron is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 05-14-01
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 1,459
Myron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang fan View Post
Welcome to Strongsville Mr. Guilfoyle...I'm guessing that the coaching situation here is quite a bit different from what you have experienced previously...Take solace in knowing that (unless you are relieved of your duties prior to season's end) you can walk away from this disaster of a program and school system at season's end...And for those players (and parents, if applicable) that went to the administration concerning Guilfoyle's performance and/or actions, I hope that they (players and parents) were just as critical and scrutinizing of their own performance as well.
Exactly.

I know a guy who has lived in five different locations this century, and his neighbors are always, in his view, jerks and idiots because they hate him. At some point, and with that track record, maybe the neighbors arenít the problemómaybe Itís this guyís abrasive personality.

This will be three coaches run out in a 7-year period. At some point, and with that track record, it ainít the coaching thatís the problem...
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 02-01-18, 12:55 PM
FlannMann87 FlannMann87 is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 01-31-18
Posts: 48
FlannMann87 is on a distinguished road
Strongsville is still an attractive teaching district. Rumors last yr was that there were no open teaching positions to attach to the coaching job. You will not get an experienced guy to come into this situation. Hopefully with a teaching position attached you can get a young guy who is looking for his 1st gig. I imagine a younger person might be a better fit for the type of kids you have at Strongsville.
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 02-01-18, 02:00 PM
Look Ma No Hands Look Ma No Hands is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 10-04-06
Posts: 838
Look Ma No Hands is on a distinguished road
OK. So you hire a nice, young coach.
Then he doesn't win.
And on top of that, he doesn't play your son.
How can that be.....

So you run to the BOE and say, "This young coach can't get enough out of our kids. Our teams are getting bullied by the rest of the league ..."

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 02-01-18, 02:20 PM
mustang fan mustang fan is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-26-03
Posts: 1,960
mustang fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlannMann87 View Post
Strongsville is still an attractive teaching district. Rumors last yr was that there were no open teaching positions to attach to the coaching job. You will not get an experienced guy to come into this situation. Hopefully with a teaching position attached you can get a young guy who is looking for his 1st gig. I imagine a younger person might be a better fit for the type of kids you have at Strongsville.
As info, from post #14 of this thread...
"...Perhaps, in order to get this coaching vacancy filled, the district will have to go so far as to create a teaching position and allow all of the years of teaching experience to transfer in as was the case in securing football coaches Laird and Cirino..."

And, from post #27 of this thread...
"...Even though the district habitually pleads poor, it has in the past created teaching positions to fill coaching vacancies.."
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 02-01-18, 02:21 PM
MustangNation17 MustangNation17 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 04-25-17
Posts: 19
MustangNation17 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Look Ma No Hands View Post
OK. So you hire a nice, young coach.
Then he doesn't win.
And on top of that, he doesn't play your son.
How can that be.....

So you run to the BOE and say, "This young coach can't get enough out of our kids. Our teams are getting bullied by the rest of the league ..."

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

Finally!! Someone has a good grasp on the way things go in this town! Here's the potential problem with hiring a teacher or young first time coach. You hire only teachers as the middle school coaches, and some of them know literally nothing about the sport they are coaching.
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 02-01-18, 02:53 PM
MustangNation17 MustangNation17 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 04-25-17
Posts: 19
MustangNation17 is on a distinguished road
Well there you have it. The people have gotten their way, and Coach G was fired! And then you replace him with someone who is a great motivational speaker, but doesnt actually know squat about basketball. The only reason they are winning this year is because the freshmen have some talent.
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 02-01-18, 02:56 PM
TBone 22 TBone 22 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-17-12
Location: East Side
Posts: 185
TBone 22 is on a distinguished road
Joe Guilfoyle is an Outstanding Man. He is old school, is not there to coddle, he is there to teach. Unfortunately, there are people like the woman/mother I watched on Fox 8 news, speaking anonymously, who are the problem. If these boys can't take a little criticism now, how are they going to handle the real world.
Joe is a Great Coach. But most of all he is a Great man.
Good Luck Joe in All of your future endeavors.
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 02-01-18, 03:02 PM
MustangNation17 MustangNation17 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 04-25-17
Posts: 19
MustangNation17 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone 22 View Post
Joe Guilfoyle is an Outstanding Man. He is old school, is not there to coddle, he is there to teach. Unfortunately, there are people like the woman/mother I watched on Fox 8 news, speaking anonymously, who are the problem. If these boys can't take a little criticism now, how are they going to handle the real world.
Joe is a Great Coach. But most of all he is a Great man.
Good Luck Joe in All of your future endeavors.

And rumor has it the mother in the interview was actually the wife of the assistant coach who STARTED the fight with Guilfoyle.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Barberton: A Coaching Legacy frecriss Barberton Magics 16 06-18-17 07:07 PM
High School Camp - featuring NCAA Head Coach Kevin Ward - Army West Point Coach McCormick Wrestling 13 09-22-16 11:25 AM
Will the MAC sweep the lower three divisions again? BlueJayFan Football 104 12-05-15 06:55 PM
Ohio chapter of the National Wrestling Hall of Fame - Inductees Refman Wrestling 1 09-08-15 08:17 PM
Thoughts and prayers for former Rittman head coach John Grandetti MagicRim Girls Basketball 2 11-12-14 03:01 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:17 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz