Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-16-18, 05:43 PM
All American

Paladin1aa is on a distinguished road
New transfer rule

The proposed new transfer rule just passed and is effective immediately. Unless covered by existing rules, transfers now face being ineligible the last half of the season plus playoffs instead of the first half of the season. Should be interesting to see how this works out.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-18, 05:57 PM
All American

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
So for instance , a Soph stud RB from a 5-5 team wants to go to a program that is a perennial power that always makes the play-offs .As a Junior he is the best guy at his New school , BUT he only gets to play the first 5 games of the season.

So what does a coach do ? Does he actually give him the rock 20 + times a game because he's the best he has and won the job , or does he mix in the guy who will be his top RB starting in week 6? Junior season for that transfer is likely very unsatisfactory . This is just one potential scenario and one position .

I think this will do away with kids ring chasing for their Senior Yr. . May be that was the main aim of the new deal .
Old 05-16-18, 05:58 PM
Pecunious

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
silly rule change
Old 05-16-18, 06:02 PM
All American

Not sure silly is the right word , but it will cut down on the rampant musical chairs . Doesn't affect a majority of schools much.
Old 05-16-18, 07:12 PM
All Ohio

Blue Jay Fan is on a distinguished road
What are the exemptions?
Old 05-16-18, 07:14 PM
All District

bsee54321 is on a distinguished road
This transfer change went into effect today 5-16-18, so anybody that transfers without and an allowable exception will be able to play in first 50% percent of games then sit out last 50% plus tournament next school year. All other referendums go into effect on July 1, 2018. July 1 is the start of the new school year according to OHSAA operations.
Old 05-16-18, 07:43 PM
All American

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrycrane View Post
I think this will do away with kids ring chasing for their Senior Yr. . May be that was the main aim of the new deal .
Ya think?

It is kind of a tough call, but I would make sure my week 6 starter is ready to go, but also save some wear and tear on his body by playing the transfer a LOT.
Old 05-16-18, 07:45 PM
Junior Varsity

Carrado is on a distinguished road
What about the player who transferred already and is in the school prior to today? Does he sit 50% the first half or is he free to play under the new rules?
Old 05-16-18, 08:07 PM
All American

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jay Fan View Post
What are the exemptions?
Exception #7 – Anti-Harassment, Anti-Intimidation, Anti-Bullying

The one everyone uses
Old 05-16-18, 08:21 PM
All Region

ferflog is on a distinguished road
What if a student transferred to a new school on May 7 of this year. The new school is a contiguous school district This actually happened. He is a football and basketball player. How is his eligibility affected for the 2018-2019 school year? Oh, and he will be a sophomore.
Old 05-16-18, 08:51 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferflog View Post
What if a student transferred to a new school on May 7 of this year. The new school is a contiguous school district This actually happened. He is a football and basketball player. How is his eligibility affected for the 2018-2019 school year? Oh, and he will be a sophomore.
He's under the old rules.
Old 05-16-18, 11:10 PM
All Region

mtigers96 is on a distinguished road
What are the exceptions? I know the first ruling had exceptions, ie: i believe if you moved into the district by a certain time you could play the whole season.
Old 05-17-18, 05:46 AM
All American

jackson03 is on a distinguished road
I think the rule is perfect. Anyone from power schools who waxed on and on about giving students a chance to shine on a better team and/or get a better education (a better education being highly dependent on which school is receiving the transfers) now has no complaint. They can still get their highlight reel. I'd be fine with giving them more than just 5 weeks -- 6-8 would do, perhaps even all 10. But post-season should be off limits to first year upperclassmen transfers.
Old 05-17-18, 06:24 AM
All American

Again , if you did give some stud QB who wants to throw to jaguars instead of Mules , what is a coach going to do? get the newcomer who he barely knows highlight film for the season and then have to paly ANOTHER QB in the play-offs who sat most of the time? If you think coaches will be down with this you are wrong.

Giving a newcomer who can't play in the play-offs preference so he can put together a nice tape, is a recipe for disaster morale wise . In other words that arrangement is not going to be acceptable in many cases .

A stud left tackle wants to go to Wayne for his SR year like happened a few years ago, what is a coach going to do? Play that kid full minutes so his transfer pays dividends , and he has some cool tape , but then he has to put someone else at that very important position with little to no reps in the play-offs?
Old 05-17-18, 06:45 AM
All Ohio

bop is on a distinguished road
Love it!
Old 05-17-18, 06:53 AM
Freshman

Rock Chalk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsee54321 View Post
This transfer change went into effect today 5-16-18, so anybody that transfers without and an allowable exception will be able to play in first 50% percent of games then sit out last 50% plus tournament next school year. All other referendums go into effect on July 1, 2018. July 1 is the start of the new school year according to OHSAA operations.
I will see how it pans out. I don't think it will change things. Allowable exception is the issue. Player A has 15+ offers and decides to go to a state championship team and claim hardship.
Old 05-17-18, 07:42 AM
All Ohio

chito is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
I will see how it pans out. I don't think it will change things. Allowable exception is the issue. Player A has 15+ offers and decides to go to a state championship team and claim hardship.
Or powerful booster clubs with deep pockets will just hire attorneys to file suit for relief. This won’t change anything for the recruting schools or their mercenaries, they’re skilled at working the system.
Old 05-17-18, 07:52 AM
All District

tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
Get ready to see kids magically start living with "auntie" and "grandma" in these districts, or claim homelessness so they can play wherever. As with any rule change, unless the state somehow does residency checks on every single kid that transfers in the state, people will always find ways around it.
Old 05-17-18, 07:56 AM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
Good rule change. Much needed.
Old 05-17-18, 08:27 AM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Why do transfers need to be deterred any more than students crossing several districts to a private school need deterred? Free choice. Personal family decisions are really none of their business. But...since we are being so democratic, and the majority rules, how about putting the aforementioned private school restrictions, or separate playoffs, up for a vote?
Old 05-17-18, 08:39 AM
Freshman

Killer Nut is on a distinguished road
It does not matter how the transfer rules are worded. Certain schools (and we all know who they are) will work around it and the OSHAA will turn a blind eye like they always do.
Old 05-17-18, 08:44 AM
All Region

spirit454 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
Why do transfers need to be deterred any more than students crossing several districts to a private school need deterred? Free choice. Personal family decisions are really none of their business. But...since we are being so democratic, and the majority rules, how about putting the aforementioned private school restrictions, or separate playoffs, up for a vote?
The choice of attending any school for an education is not deterred or restricted in any way. The stacking of high school sports teams for immediate success is. I personally would love to see the separation of public and private just to shut up the private schools once and for all.
Old 05-17-18, 08:54 AM
Pecunious

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
That's the spirit
Old 05-17-18, 09:12 AM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit454 View Post
The choice of attending any school for an education is not deterred or restricted in any way. The stacking of high school sports teams for immediate success is. I personally would love to see the separation of public and private just to shut up the private schools once and for all.
Yes it is actually. So is art, choir, debate, vocational and a myriad of other programs and sports a particular school offers, excels in, or does not at all.

Question: How many hundreds or thousands of student/athletes transfer in various sports, for various reasons, but who are not star athletes and not stacking teams? Just curious.
Old 05-17-18, 09:16 AM
All District

tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Question: How many hundreds or thousands of student/athletes transfer in various sports, for various reasons, but who are not star athletes and not stacking teams? Just curious.
You just said it: thousands of kids transfer because their parents legit move somewhere else. The problem is seperating kids who transfer because their parents actually moved to another district vs schools and coaches getting kids to transfer because of sports. Unfortunately, this debate won't end for the forseeable future and they will keep altering this rule to appease different people. It's hard to justify punishing kids who actually transfer because their parents wanted to move to a better district
Old 05-17-18, 09:32 AM
All American

I think even a cursory look at these transfers on a case by case basis can show if a kid is transferring for reasons other than solely wanting to join a superior program.

I do believe many families do move to give their kids better opportunity's in various areas , academic atmosphere and support , rigor. Sports programs, Music programs , clubs , community upgrade , a better fit for the family as a whole .

I agree families should be able to move their families where they want to and not have their oldest ones suffer from overzealous transfer rules. The main thing that this new policy will do as I and others have said , is the Sr. yr switch to a new program. I have seen in some cases here in Dublin that a family will leave a certain community to move to Dublin and they have multiple kids in a large age range{ The oldest being a Junior or Senior} and the family wanted Dublin as a community and the schools in general and plan to stay in the community until the younger ones graduate

Should the oldest one be penalized? This is what a hearing would be for I would think .
Old 05-17-18, 09:32 AM
All Region

Quote:
Yes it is actually. So is art, choir, debate, vocational and a myriad of other programs and sports a particular school offers, excels in, or does not at all.

Any kid wanting to be a part of an excelling art program can transfer without issue. If a parent wants their child to change schools to participate in a great choir program or an outstanding vocational program there is nothing that will stop that child from participating and succeeding in those activities.
Old 05-17-18, 09:36 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrycrane View Post
I agree families should be able to move their families where they want to and not have their oldest ones suffer from overzealous transfer rules. The main thing that this new policy will do as I and others have said , is the Sr. yr switch to a new program. I have seen in some cases here in Dublin that a family will leave a certain community to move to Dublin and they have multiple kids in a large age range{ The oldest being a Junior or Senior} and the family wanted Dublin as a community and the schools in general and plan to stay in the community until the younger ones graduate

Should the oldest one be penalized? This is what a hearing would be for I would think .
Would that not fall under one of the exceptions since they actually moved into a school district. With the proper papers filed, this would not be affected buy the new rule.
Old 05-17-18, 09:44 AM
All Ohio

dograt is on a distinguished road
If they moved in, there is no problem! If you change schools without changing residence, this applies.

I have zero problem with it. If you want to move your kid in for any reason, do it by freshman year.
Old 05-17-18, 09:57 AM
All American

Yes moving your kids BEFORE entering 9th grade is always a better plan. Move in's are always eligible immediately ? I suppose they are . OK the thing is I know for a fact that is some families have actually move their whole families and the kids come home every night to the house outside the district . A program or two as some know have been dinged for the false address scam

The OHASSA doesn't have the resources to really investigate so it goes undetected. But the argument would be if an official actually followed a kid home , he or she was just visiting Mom , Dad and he have an apartment address?