Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-15-18, 03:55 PM
All Ohio

McClearn7 is on a distinguished road
Troy D-3 District Rankings (Off-Season #1)

These initial off-season rankings will have the wrestlers ranked at the weights that they competed at last season. I’ll start moving wrestlers around as the off-season progresses, but for now, everyone is listed at last year’s weight.

The team rankings are also based off of the returning wrestlers and do not yet include the incoming freshmen.
I paired the freshmen with the school that they were listed at on the Yappi thread about middle school state placers. If there was more than one possible school listed, I took a guess.
If there are any freshmen listed at the wrong school, feel free to let me know. Also, if there are any other wrestlers who have transferred, decided not to wrestle next year, or graduated (but I mistakenly left them in the rankings), please let me know.

I love doing these rankings, but as it has been pointed out before, they are just for fun. To any wrestlers who read these and feel that they are ranked too low, you may be right.
I am bound to be wrong on many of the rankings, but fortunately they have absolutely no impact on how anyone will finish at any tournament this season or any other year.

* = unsure about participation or availability

# = A second wrestler from the same school ranked at the same weight. I will add an extra wrestler to the rankings at each weight that contains a #.

106-
1. Wyatt Riddle- East Clinton (4th, 2nd state)
2. Kellan Anderson- Covington (6th state)
3. Caleb Schroer- Troy Chr. (5th district)
4. Teagan Hendrix- Greeneview (SQ)
5. Olivia Shore- Miami E. (6th district)
6. Luke Stroud- Mechanicsburg
7. Gabe Sutton- Wayne Trace
8. Jeremy Sturgeon- Bluffton

Incoming Freshmen:
Gavin Brown- Legacy Christian (3rd middle school state 2016)
Logan Attisano- Legacy Christian (4th middle school state)
Jarrett Hornish- Wayne Trace (7th middle school state)

This weight has the potential to be very deep for a second straight year. I’m not sure how many of the previous 106-pounders will stay at the weight, but there looks to be an infusion of freshman talent, so anyone who stays down will make the weight even tougher.

Brown went 5-2 at Super 32 in the high school division last year as an 8th grader. Among his wins were a 1-0 victory over Christopher DiFiore who placed 4th in the state of Florida, a 4-2 win over Indiana state placer Brayden Lowery, and a 3-2 triumph over Garrett Lautzenheiser who finished 4th in D-2 in Ohio this past season.

113-
1. Ethan Turner- Troy Chr. (1st, 3rd state)
2. Chase Caprella- Lima C.C. (SQ)
3. Cael Vanderhorst- Covington (8th state)
4. Max Boaz- Cincinnati Country Day (SQ)
5. Jacob Edwards- River Valley (5th district, 6th district 2017, 5th district 2016)
6. Brian Chmielewski- Coldwater (6th district)
7. Trevor Huber- Versailles
8. Zack Gutknecht- Bethel-Tate

Incoming Freshman:
Hunter Long- Wayne Trace (6th middle school state)

All 6 district placers return from last year, including a state placer and the state champion at this weight. Adding in a middle school state placer will put the state qualification spots at a premium for next season.

120-
1. Drake Carmean- Allen E. (SQ)
2. Trey Sander- Bethel-Tate (7th state)
3. Jacob Poling- Versailles (SQ)
4. Lane McCombs- Southeastern Local (5th district, 6th district 2017)
5. Coleman Hauck- Triad
6. Andrew Hutchinson- Tri-County North
7. Peyton Brown- Milton-Union
8. Joseph Burns- River Valley

Incoming Freshman:
Cameron Lacure- Legacy Christian

Carmean pinned Sander in the district finals and only lost to the wrestlers who finished 2nd and 6th at the state tournament, so I ranked him ahead of Sander for the time being.

126-
1. Devan Hendricks- Greeneview (5th, 6th state)
2. Kaleb Nickels- Miami East (SQ)
3. Tyler Bauer- Wayne Trace (5th district, 6th district 2017)
4. Ethin Hoffman- Arcanum (SQ)
5. Isaac Hernandez- Ottawa-Glandorf (6th district)
6. Jackson Hugentobler- Madeira (SQ 2017)
7. Cael Bey- Versailles (5th district 2017)
8. Kobe Boggs- Coldwater

Incoming Freshman:
Jake Hurst- Mechanicsburg (5th middle school state)

Another impressively deep weight, 126 returns a state placer, 3 other former state qualifiers, 3 former district placers, and a middle school state placer.
Bauer beat Hoffman 10-3 earlier in the year and split two bouts with Nickels, so I gave him the nod over Hoffman despite placing lower at the district tournament.

132-
1. Deuce Brown- Legacy Christian Academy (3rd state)
2. Payton Lane- National Trail (SQ)
3. Johnny Schirmer- Blanchester
4. Evan Ellerbrock- Ottawa-Glandorf
5. Jay Goetz- Spencerville
6. Chase Trainer- Greenon
7. Taylor Stinson- Greeneview
8. Chayse Eby- Tri-County N.

Incoming Freshman:
Nicolas Alvarez- Legacy Christian (5th middle school state)

Brown was awesome at the state tournament finishing 3rd and beating Niko Chilson along the way. However, Lane did post a 3-1 victory over Brown in the sectional semifinals a few weeks prior.

138-
1. Colton Robins- Reading (5th district, 6th district 2017)
2. Travis Howard- Preble Shawnee (6th district)
3. Mike Whittington- Bethel-Tate
4. Isaac Bryant- Mechanicsburg
5. Kameron Cox- Greenon
6. Austin Flick- Covington
7. Ethan Meyer- Parkway
8. Austin Smith- Wayne Trace

Incoming Freshman:
Jake Niffenegger- Legacy Christian

Howard strung together and impressive freshman campaign, posting wins over state placer Drew Price and state qualifier Lucas Freeman. However, Robins was able to best Howard twice at the district tournament (14-9) and (8-0) while finishing as the state alternate at this weight.

145-
1. Joey Caprella- Lima C.C. (5th state)
2. Dylan Schenk- Milton-Union (SQ)
3. Austin Awan- Troy Chr. (6th district)
4. Thomas Foster- Waynesville
5. Nathan Wagner- Versailles
6. Lane Mefford- Indian Lake
7. Frank Magyar- Mechanicsburg
8. Gage Huston- Blanchester

Incoming Freshman:
Will Hash III- River Valley (7th middle school state)

Only a junior last season, Caprella was one of the most improved wrestlers in D-3 last year. Over the course of the season he posted wins over state placers Naeem Russell, Micah Marshall, Chase Sumner (2x), Henry Danishek, and Andrew Hardenbrook (2x).

152-
1. Clayton Schirmer- Blanchester (SQ)
2. Dillon Walker- Legacy Christian Academy (SQ)
3. Kerington Martin- Covington (SQ)
4. Hayden Pummel- Indian Lake
5. Josh Fink- Coldwater (5th district)
6. John Cline- E. Clinton (6th district)
7. Dalton Metzger- Adena
8. Dylan Burns- Arcanum

Walker missed most of last season, but still qualified for the state tournament and finished an overtime bout shy of placement as a freshman. He lost to Schirmer in the opening round of the district tournament before rattling off 5 straight consolation bouts to claim 3rd, including wins over Martin, Fink, and Pummel (avenging a sectional finals loss).

160-
1. Seth Henderson- Miami Valley (SQ)
2. Devin Oligee- (Middletown) Madison (6th district)
3. Ethan Anderson- Allen E.
4. Deontae’ Davis- Cory-Rawson
5. Eric Weber- River Valley
6. Duncan Cooper- Covington
7. Lucas Moore- Troy Chr.
8. Mark Wrasman- (Delphos) St. John’s

Incoming Freshman:
Bruce Hutchinson- (Delphos) St. John (7th middle school state)

I expect Henderson to make the podium in Columbus this coming season after reaching the blood round in 2018. He lost to the 3rd and 6th place finishers by a combined 3 points at the state tournament while also posting a 9-5 win over Derick DuVall.

170-
1. Danny Rosales- Ottawa-Glandorf (7th state)
2. Craig Montgomery- Troy Christian (SQ)
3. Matthew Welker- Miami E. (5th district 2017)
4. Ethan Knapke- Lehman Cath.
5. Tyler Gigandet- Versailles
6. Chase Martin- (Delphos) St John's
7. Ramiro Torres- Blanchester
8. Tristin Alexander- Covington

Rosales defeated Montgomery 3-1 in the blood round of the state tournament last year, and both wrestlers return this season as the highest district placers at this weight. Rosales also bested 8th place finisher Dustin Knapp on 3 separate occasions winning 3-2 at Lima C.C., 3-1 in the district semis, and 3-2 in the 7th place final at the state tournament.

182-
1. Garrett Neth- Allen E. (SQ)
2. Quincy Brown- (Middletown) Madison (5th district)
3. Justin Wieging- (Delphos) St. John’s (6th district)
4. Matthew Moore- Waynesville
5. Desmond Brown- Coldwater
6. Steven Latchford- Blanchester
7. Owen Lewis- Milton-Union
8. Gavin McReynolds- Covington

Incoming Freshman:
Evan Anderson- Allen E. (1st middle school state)

As a sophomore, Neth posted wins over state placers Deron Pulliam and Connor Dixon, and he also reached the blood round of the state tournament.

195-
1. Deandre Nasser- Bluffton (4th state)
2. Levi Morrison- Greenon (SQ)
3. Major Stratton- W. Liberty-Salem (5th district)
4. Gage Kerrigan- Covington (SQ)
5. Matt Schmersal- Ottawa-Glandorf (6th district)
6. Isaac Grilliot- Versailles
7. Dakota Sargeant- Columbus Grove
8. Caden Coleman- Mechanicsburg

Stratton beat Kerrigan 7-1 at Lima C.C. and only lost to state qualifiers Banks and Morrison (the same 2 wrestlers Kerrigan lost to) at the district tournament, which is why I ranked him ahead of Kerrigan despite the fact that he finished below him at Troy.

220-
1. Brenden Dalton- Miami East (SQ)
2. Dylan Sargeant- Columbus Grove (SQ)
3. Nick Baker- Troy Chr. (5th district)
4. Ty Stevenson- Preble Shawnee (6th district)
5. Hayden McKee- Southeastern Local
6. Daron Hickey- Deer Park
7. Andrew Moore- Southeastern
8. Nolan Tobe- Coldwater

Dalton earned victories over state placers Luke Shively, Jake Sage, and Cole Mefford while also claiming a district title here last season.

285-
1. Jeff Meyer- Columbus Grove (SQ)
2. Chase Jordan- Greeneview (5th district)
3. Isaiah Lafontaine- Southeastern (6th district)
4. Brennan Davies- Allen E.
5. Jayden Heltsley- Arcanum
6. Bryce Abner- Preble Shawnee
7. Seth Topp- Riverside
8. Jon Mitchell- Brookville

A rare freshman state qualifier at heavyweight, Meyer will be the highest returning placer at this district at 285 next season. He pinned state alternate Jordan in his qualification bout last year, and finished a match shy of placement in Columbus.

Team:
1. Troy Christian
2. Covington
3. Allen East
4. Miami East
5. Greeneview
6. Ottawa-Glandorf
7. Blanchester
8. Versailles

Legacy Christian will climb substantially in the rankings when their slew of middle school state placers are accounted for, but for now they return Walker and Brown who both made it to state as freshmen last season.

A special thanks to Boro Fan for all the insight into the weights of the wrestlers, Baum’s Page and Jake’s Wrestling for all of the results that they provide, and to any of the other wrestling nerds that actually read these things.

-Max Pearce

Last edited by McClearn7; 05-18-18 at 08:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-18, 07:01 AM
Junior Varsity

AmustangE is on a distinguished road
Great list. A couple of changes you can note:

Chase Caprella (AE) is now at LCC. He enrolled and started classes there 2 weeks ago. His younger brother, Gavin (incoming freshman) will follow at the end of the school year.

Ethan Anderson (DQ in D2) from Lima Shawnee is now at Allen East. He enrolled and started classes at AE on Friday. His brother Evan will follow after the school year.

With Evan Anderson wrestling at Allen East it will be interesting to see if Neth bumps up to 195 or if he decides to stay at 182, forcing Anderson to either jump to 195 or drop to 170. Could be interesting, especially if Ethan moves up to 170, which is where he won the Allen County tournament last year, where he pinned Caleb Welch of Allen East in 4:15 (by far his toughest match considering he dominated the rest of the competition).

Heavyweight should be interesting, as Davies beat both Meyer and Jordan at LCC, then lost to Meyer at both NWC and sectionals, and also Lafontaine at districts. Topp also beat Meyer in an early season tournament last year. Should be an interesting season! (How can it only be May?)
Old 05-16-18, 08:40 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmustangE View Post
Great list. A couple of changes you can note:

Chase Caprella (AE) is now at LCC. He enrolled and started classes there 2 weeks ago. His younger brother, Gavin (incoming freshman) will follow at the end of the school year.

Ethan Anderson (DQ in D2) from Lima Shawnee is now at Allen East. He enrolled and started classes at AE on Friday. His brother Evan will follow after the school year.

With Evan Anderson wrestling at Allen East it will be interesting to see if Neth bumps up to 195 or if he decides to stay at 182, forcing Anderson to either jump to 195 or drop to 170. Could be interesting, especially if Ethan moves up to 170, which is where he won the Allen County tournament last year, where he pinned Caleb Welch of Allen East in 4:15 (by far his toughest match considering he dominated the rest of the competition).

Heavyweight should be interesting, as Davies beat both Meyer and Jordan at LCC, then lost to Meyer at both NWC and sectionals, and also Lafontaine at districts. Topp also beat Meyer in an early season tournament last year. Should be an interesting season! (How can it only be May?)
Thanks for the updates. That's a big help. I adjusted the schools accordingly.
Old 05-16-18, 01:06 PM
Junior Varsity

BigArlie8 is on a distinguished road
I enjoy the rankings to see where most of the kids in the area are but some of the kids you have posted at certain weight classes haven't wrestled that weight one time either ever or in the last year, so it really doesn't do any justice for anyone who looks at the list because most of the names wont either be in the weight classes posted or will move to another school.
Old 05-16-18, 01:28 PM
Junior Varsity

AmustangE is on a distinguished road
I don't think anyone would argue that the rankings are for anything other than entertainment purposes. With that being said, I appreciate anyone who takes the time to look through results from past years to compile some sort of list for us wrestling junkies to read. It's fun, and for my part it serves to remind me of different kids who I may have forgotten about. Kids grow from year to year, and unless your kid is a heavyweight, you really can't know for sure where they are going to land. So, as I did this last year, I'll click on one of these threads as soon as it is posted or updated.

Thanks for your work McClearn7!
Old 05-16-18, 02:32 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigArlie8 View Post
I enjoy the rankings to see where most of the kids in the area are but some of the kids you have posted at certain weight classes haven't wrestled that weight one time either ever or in the last year, so it really doesn't do any justice for anyone who looks at the list because most of the names wont either be in the weight classes posted or will move to another school.
Every high school wrestler that is listed in the rankings wrestled at some point last year at the weight where he is ranked (according to their listed results on Jake's Wrestling).

The middle school state placers are listed at the weight that is closest to where they wrestled at last year's middle school state tournament if they participated.
If they did not participate I went by older results (which could cause some disparity).

As the first paragraph of the rankings indicated "These initial off-season rankings will have the wrestlers ranked at the weights that they competed at last season. Iíll start moving wrestlers around as the off-season progresses, but for now, everyone is listed at last yearís weight."

If anyone has any insight into which weights the wrestlers will compete at next year, I welcome suggestions, and I'll adjust the rankings as the summer progresses.
Old 05-16-18, 03:52 PM
Junior Varsity

BigArlie8 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by McClearn7 View Post
Every high school wrestler that is listed in the rankings wrestled at some point last year at the weight where he is ranked (according to their listed results on Jake's Wrestling).

The middle school state placers are listed at the weight that is closest to where they wrestled at last year's middle school state tournament if they participated.
If they did not participate I went by older results (which could cause some disparity).

As the first paragraph of the rankings indicated "These initial off-season rankings will have the wrestlers ranked at the weights that they competed at last season. Iíll start moving wrestlers around as the off-season progresses, but for now, everyone is listed at last yearís weight."

If anyone has any insight into which weights the wrestlers will compete at next year, I welcome suggestions, and I'll adjust the rankings as the summer progresses.
Donít get me wrong I know the purpose of these rankings and I really do enjoy looking at them. I didnít mean any disrespect, and I think it is awesome how much time you put into this stuff. The first time I saw the post I didnít see the first paragragh because my computer was showing the 160# weight class at the top. I apologize for it seeming like I was complaining.
Old 05-16-18, 04:11 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigArlie8 View Post
Donít get me wrong I know the purpose of these rankings and I really do enjoy looking at them. I didnít mean any disrespect, and I think it is awesome how much time you put into this stuff. The first time I saw the post I didnít see the first paragragh because my computer was showing the 160# weight class at the top. I apologize for it seeming like I was complaining.
That was my mistake. I tried to edit 160 after the news that Ethan Anderson transferred, but cut and pasted it to the wrong spot initially.