Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-22-18, 08:38 PM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit454 View Post
Wrong. It's because the OHSAA does not care or have authority over a student at any school that is not on a roster.
But they do take those kids into account in determining enrollment figures. You can't look at this in a vacuum. If your point is, "If a private school did not offer basketball, then kids who want to play basketball would not go to that private school."; then so what!?! Say, for example, that if Ellet or Firestone dropped their basketball programs, my guess is that the students who wanted to play basketball would find another public school to attend so they can play basketball. You can make up any hypothetical scenarios you want.
Old 04-22-18, 09:40 PM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
What I clearly was suggesting is that EVERY private school has a portion of their rosters in maybe more than one sport that would not attend that private school if it did not offer sports. Those kids would then be at the schools based in their residence.
Or maybe they would attend another private school that does offer sports. Or they would use OE to attend a public district that is not where they reside because that district has a better athletic program than their home residence.

You're acting like there are only two options.
Old 04-22-18, 10:04 PM
All Ohio

spirit454 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
But they do take those kids into account in determining enrollment figures. You can't look at this in a vacuum. If your point is, "If a private school did not offer basketball, then kids who want to play basketball would not go to that private school."; then so what!?! Say, for example, that if Ellet or Firestone dropped their basketball programs, my guess is that the students who wanted to play basketball would find another public school to attend so they can play basketball. You can make up any hypothetical scenarios you want.
Show me where someone has said that the Ellet or Firestone competitive balance number is high because they have kids one there roster that go to that school for the education. My hypothetical considers the false statement that athletes attend private school for the education. So I tossed out the question if they did not have sports would they attend? According to OHSAA they could still pay the tuition and get the education but play sports for their district school of residence.
Old 04-22-18, 10:06 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
Or maybe they would attend another private school that does offer sports. Or they would use OE to attend a public district that is not where they reside because that district has a better athletic program than their home residence.

You're acting like there are only two options.
I was not providing any options. I was specifically challenging the statement that most athletes attend private schools for the education. If all private schools offered a good education but no sports would the enrollment numbers be the same?
Old 04-22-18, 10:33 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I was not providing any options. I was specifically challenging the statement that most athletes attend private schools for the education. If all private schools offered a good education but no sports would the enrollment numbers be the same?
Of course not. And if public schools didn't offer sports their enrollment would not be the same either.

Really kind of a silly hypothetical scenario.
Old 04-22-18, 10:37 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Show me where someone has said that the Ellet or Firestone competitive balance number is high because they have kids one there roster that go to that school for the education. My hypothetical considers the false statement that athletes attend private school for the education. So I tossed out the question if they did not have sports would they attend? According to OHSAA they could still pay the tuition and get the education but play sports for their district school of residence.
Well I do know a few athletes that do indeed pay for private education but they compete at the local district for a sport not offered at their private school.

So I guess the statement that athlete's attend private schools for the education is not a false statement after all.
Old 04-22-18, 10:58 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Of course not. And if public schools didn't offer sports their enrollment would not be the same either.

Really kind of a silly hypothetical scenario.
Has anyone ever claimed a kid open enrolled to a public school for the education?
Old 04-22-18, 11:01 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Well I do know a few athletes that do indeed pay for private education but they compete at the local district for a sport not offered at their private school.

So I guess the statement that athlete's attend private schools for the education is not a false statement after all.
I can believe a few out of the thousands that play do.
Old 04-22-18, 11:51 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Has anyone ever claimed a kid open enrolled to a public school for the education?
Yes. Is that a serious question?
Old 04-23-18, 07:27 AM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
That happens ALL the time!
Old 04-23-18, 07:30 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
That happens ALL the time!
Quote:
Yes. Is that a serious question?
And this was said to defend them moving to a school for sports?
Old 04-23-18, 08:22 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
And this was said to defend them moving to a school for sports?
I don't know. And frankly, I don't care. I don't get my panties in a wad when a kid goes to another high school like you do. But I do see several of them in starting lineups for various sports so I am sure the availability of that sport also factored into their decision to move.

But here is the key difference between you & I....whatever the reason for a family to move their kid to a private school or OE to another district....it's not my concern. Not my kid. Raising our own kids is hard enough as it is let alone trying to raise other people's kids.
Old 04-23-18, 08:32 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
I don't know. And frankly, I don't care. I don't get my panties in a wad when a kid goes to another high school like you do. But I do see several of them in starting lineups for various sports so I am sure the availability of that sport also factored into their decision to move.

But here is the key difference between you & I....whatever the reason for a family to move their kid to a private school or OE to another district....it's not my concern. Not my kid. Raising our own kids is hard enough as it is let alone trying to raise other people's kids.
My panties are fine and I don't care about our differences. I love every experience about high school sports but hate what I am seeing happen to it as the value of sports success is starting to outweigh the value of the high school sports experience, education and in some ways the sense of community loyalty.(regardless of growing up private or public) We used to watch ESPN to see what college kid gets drafted first. Now we can watch ESPN to see high school kids make their college choice.
Old 04-23-18, 09:24 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
My panties are fine and I don't care about our differences. I love every experience about high school sports but hate what I am seeing happen to it as the value of sports success is starting to outweigh the value of the high school sports experience, education and in some ways the sense of community loyalty.(regardless of growing up private or public) We used to watch ESPN to see what college kid gets drafted first. Now we can watch ESPN to see high school kids make their college choice.
Times change. The experience is for the kids not us adults. If the current model is what works for the kids and their families today, who are we to judge?
Old 04-23-18, 09:37 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Times change. The experience is for the kids not us adults. If the current model is what works for the kids and their families today, who are we to judge?
I'm not judging any person. The current system or model as you call has created an ugly side affect that I would like to see gone. You can judge me all you want to.
Old 04-23-18, 11:18 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I'm not judging any person. The current system or model as you call has created an ugly side affect that I would like to see gone. You can judge me all you want to.
Maybe if the latest proposal for handling transfers passes then maybe you will get your wish.
Old 04-23-18, 11:59 AM
All Ohio

Maybe. I admit that I do like the new proposal. Even though it could directly affect some of the high school programs I support. I think it is a good rule for those who only make moves for a sports team. It will not affect those that move for a better education, which I support.
Old 04-23-18, 12:28 PM
All Yappi

We differ there. I support people having choice and they are free to do whatever they think is best for their kids for any reason....sports, education, band, safety, on way to work, whatever. This idea that the kids are somehow beholden to the local district is asinine.
Old 04-23-18, 03:37 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
We differ there. I support people having choice and they are free to do whatever they think is best for their kids for any reason....sports, education, band, safety, on way to work, whatever. This idea that the kids are somehow beholden to the local district is asinine.
I support people having the choice and freedom to do what they think is best for their kids for any reason also. Nothing I have said takes away any freedom of choice. I also feel the OHSAA and their members have the choice and freedom to make rules and guidelines.
Old 04-23-18, 04:35 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I support people having the choice and freedom to do what they think is best for their kids for any reason also. Nothing I have said takes away any freedom of choice. I also feel the OHSAA and their members have the choice and freedom to make rules and guidelines.
So what rules exactly are you in support of to stop this "problem"? Clearly, you don't like the current set of rules including CB. Sit the second 50% of the season including the tournament? Sit a whole year? Never be allowed to play for the school you move to? What age or grade is the cutoff for your ideal rules? Pre-HS? Any grade? What if they move from Cincinnati to Cleveland due to parents' employment? What if they just move across town to a better neighborhood? How much freedom are you willing to give parents and still satisfy your need to end this plague over Ohio high school sports?
Old 04-23-18, 08:36 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
So what rules exactly are you in support of to stop this "problem"? Clearly, you don't like the current set of rules including CB. Sit the second 50% of the season including the tournament? Sit a whole year? Never be allowed to play for the school you move to? What age or grade is the cutoff for your ideal rules? Pre-HS? Any grade? What if they move from Cincinnati to Cleveland due to parents' employment? What if they just move across town to a better neighborhood? How much freedom are you willing to give parents and still satisfy your need to end this plague over Ohio high school sports?
You should not post after you start drinking.
Old 04-23-18, 09:01 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
You should not post after you start drinking.
Nice try.

Afraid to post your ideas on how to get rid of the "ugly side effect?"
Old 04-23-18, 09:09 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Nice try.

Afraid to post your ideas on how to get rid of the "ugly side effect?"
Fear has never factored into this site. All I said was I support the idea of the transfer rule being voted on in the next 30 days.
Old 04-24-18, 08:21 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Fear has never factored into this site. All I said was I support the idea of the transfer rule being voted on in the next 30 days.
I guess we will see how it unfolds then.
Old 04-24-18, 10:47 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
I guess we will see how it unfolds then.
Waiting is all we can do.
Old 04-25-18, 06:27 PM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
What I clearly was suggesting is that EVERY private school has a portion of their rosters in maybe more than one sport that would not attend that private school if it did not offer sports. Those kids would then be at the schools based in their residence.
To add perspective- one of my kids had no intention of playing any sports at her private high school, but was encouraged to go out for cross country to meet new kids and stay in shape. She also joined the basketball team (they didn't have the numbers for a JV team) and played both sports all 4 years with much success. She went on to play in college on a full ride. We did not choose the school becuase of sports- she had no desire to play in high school initially, but were thankful that at the small, private school she was given the opportunity to "try". Had she been at her huge public high school, she wouldn't have had that opportunity and I wonder had the private school coaches/ADd been concerned about their competitive balance would she have been encouraged to join the teams?
Old 04-25-18, 09:11 PM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kballer View Post
To add perspective- one of my kids had no intention of playing any sports at her private high school, but was encouraged to go out for cross country to meet new kids and stay in shape. She also joined the basketball team (they didn't have the numbers for a JV team) and played both sports all 4 years with much success. She went on to play in college on a full ride. We did not choose the school becuase of sports- she had no desire to play in high school initially, but were thankful that at the small, private school she was given the opportunity to "try". Had she been at her huge public high school, she wouldn't have had that opportunity and I wonder had the private school coaches/ADd been concerned about their competitive balance would she have been encouraged to join the teams?
Congratulations to your daughter and to you as her parent. 👏
Old 04-26-18, 07:34 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Many could point out pros and cons to a lot of situations but when OHSAA makes guidelines for your daughter's school along with 800+ other schools they have to consider thousands of children, not just yours.
It is a special story though to have a girl who never played basketball before, in 4 years earn a D1 scholarship to play basketball.
Old 04-26-18, 07:39 AM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
To clarify- she had played just not club/AAU, jut for fun at her small Catholic grade school and against her brothers everyday in the driveway
Old 04-26-18, 09:23 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
To clarify- she had played just not club/AAU, jut for fun at her small Catholic grade school and against her brothers everyday in the driveway
Ok, so she was an experienced player for her age but did not play AAU in the off season. I completely misunderstood your other post as she had not played before she was asked by the private school coaches.