Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who will win the Suburban League American?
Aurora 4 22.22%
Barberton 1 5.56%
Copley 1 5.56%
Highland 2 11.11%
Kent Roosevelt 1 5.56%
Revere 1 5.56%
Tallmadge 8 44.44%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-09-17, 05:58 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Akron District:
Tallmadge 3, Canton South 2
Old 05-09-17, 08:05 PM
Go Buckeyes

Tallmadge will face Springfield at Canal Park on May 17th at 7PM.
Old 05-09-17, 08:11 PM
Go Buckeyes

Wadsworth 12, Highland 2
Aurora 10, Western Reserve Academy 0
Old 05-09-17, 10:58 PM
All Ohio

Hitnrun is on a distinguished road
Here's hoping both Tallmadge and Springfield enjoy their experience of playing at Canal Park, as have so many high schools teams throughout this Spring baseball season. All, but Copley of course. After 5 straight years of Copley playing at Canal Park, enjoying the experience and memories as a team, our new Copley coach simply said it was too expensive, and passed on the opportunity to continue the Canal Park tradition at Copley. But, the boys did get to play one of two games scheduled at that old home of the former Akron/Canton minor league team, known as Thurman Munson stadium. Must have been a pretty good $$ deal. Lost one due to rain out, so hope coach gets his deposit back on that one. Just one last dagger from the new coach directed to the team he has led into the abyss of sub 500, lifeless baseball. When parents ask why the boys weren't headed to Canal Park this year, its all apparently about the apparent "lack" of money available now, and the decision not to spend any available $ on a Canal Park trip. What's funny, is that during the past 7 years, the former coach always sang the praises of the local sports booster club, bragging he pretty much got everything he asked for. The land of Copley, where never a school, police, fire, or any other proposed levy go down to defeat, where kids from all athletic programs do multiple fund raisers to apparently raise monies for their respective sports (3 for baseball alone), where teachers contracts are always approved on time, where home owners pay exorbitant taxes, where property values sky rocket year to year, where the phrase "pay to play" is never uttered in mixed company. Yet in the wonderful world of Copley, the baseball team has no money? The outfield on the diamond hasn't been cut in weeks, the foul poles are falling down, the wind screens on the fences are shredded and barely usable, as is the condition of the dugouts. The field is easily the worst in the Suburban League. But, the last kick in the pants for the boys was the coach denying them a nice afternoon of baseball at Canal Park, because he didn't want to spend the money, which we assumed via fund raisers, that the boys actually earned toward the trip and or other field improvements. Guess all that $ just got added to the large overall athletic budget, so others less fortunate than the baseball team might use, it lol Pretty low class, considering how hard the boys worked at fund raising (apparently for the other athletic teams, but certainly not baseball).
Old 05-10-17, 07:21 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
oohhhh boy......the kid's summer coach is going to have his hands full this season....

And btw, this next game at Canal Park for Tallmadge and Springfield is being played there, I'd think, because the facility bid to host the games. Kind of luck-of-the draw meets hard work. If you guys win the next two, you'll win the right to play in Barberton!!!!.

I loved minor league games at Thurman Munson in the early '90's. It was great when they got a rally going, and the fans would "rumble" their feet on the old aluminum bleachers. If you find your team playing there some time in the future, I'll hope you can find a way to enjoy yourself.....doesn't seem likely, though...

Last edited by cabezadecaballo; 05-10-17 at 07:32 AM.
Old 05-10-17, 08:29 AM
All Ohio

BlueDevil Backer is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitnrun View Post
Here's hoping both Tallmadge and Springfield enjoy their experience of playing at Canal Park, as have so many high schools teams throughout this Spring baseball season. All, but Copley of course. After 5 straight years of Copley playing at Canal Park, enjoying the experience and memories as a team, our new Copley coach simply said it was too expensive, and passed on the opportunity to continue the Canal Park tradition at Copley. But, the boys did get to play one of two games scheduled at that old home of the former Akron/Canton minor league team, known as Thurman Munson stadium. Must have been a pretty good $$ deal. Lost one due to rain out, so hope coach gets his deposit back on that one. Just one last dagger from the new coach directed to the team he has led into the abyss of sub 500, lifeless baseball. When parents ask why the boys weren't headed to Canal Park this year, its all apparently about the apparent "lack" of money available now, and the decision not to spend any available $ on a Canal Park trip. What's funny, is that during the past 7 years, the former coach always sang the praises of the local sports booster club, bragging he pretty much got everything he asked for. The land of Copley, where never a school, police, fire, or any other proposed levy go down to defeat, where kids from all athletic programs do multiple fund raisers to apparently raise monies for their respective sports (3 for baseball alone), where teachers contracts are always approved on time, where home owners pay exorbitant taxes, where property values sky rocket year to year, where the phrase "pay to play" is never uttered in mixed company. Yet in the wonderful world of Copley, the baseball team has no money? The outfield on the diamond hasn't been cut in weeks, the foul poles are falling down, the wind screens on the fences are shredded and barely usable, as is the condition of the dugouts. The field is easily the worst in the Suburban League. But, the last kick in the pants for the boys was the coach denying them a nice afternoon of baseball at Canal Park, because he didn't want to spend the money, which we assumed via fund raisers, that the boys actually earned toward the trip and or other field improvements. Guess all that $ just got added to the large overall athletic budget, so others less fortunate than the baseball team might use, it lol Pretty low class, considering how hard the boys worked at fund raising (apparently for the other athletic teams, but certainly not baseball).
Just curious.....I was under the impression that all monies fundraised gets turned into the Athletic Office and managed there. Isn't former HC now the AD? And doesn't he have a say in the funds and how spent?

I would think more control over that than the HC.
Old 05-10-17, 10:00 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
The "deal" to play at Canal Park is that you have to buy $2,000 in tickets to a Ducks game. The school's then responsible to either make the effort to sell the tickets and recoup the $2,000 or eat it (or the balance). You can also try to sell them for a profit and pocket the balance as a fundraiser. In return, a senior on the team gets a $500 scholarship. For many, in the heart of a season, it is not worth the effort. As I understand it, Progressive charges $950.

Given that scenario, a school passing on the "deal" is understandable.

Last edited by clarkgriswold; 05-10-17 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-10-17, 01:52 PM
Go Buckeyes

Current Standings (5/10):
Code:
Team		LG	All	RF	Avg	RA	Avg
Aurora		(10-2)	(15-3)	153	(8.5)	52	(2.9)
Tallmadge	(8-4)	(18-5)	171	(7.4)	90	(3.9)
Kent Roosevelt	(7-5)	(14-9)	120	(5.2)	114	(5.0)
Highland	(7-5)	(11-12)	112	(4.9)	149	(6.5)
Copley		(5-7)	(8-11)	81	(4.3)	111	(5.8)
Barberton	(4-8)	(6-12)	93	(5.2)	125	(6.9)
Revere		(1-11)	(4-18)	100	(4.5)	173	(7.9)
The league standings are final with all the league games having been completed. There are still several tournament and non-conference games that will change the final overall records.
Old 05-10-17, 04:20 PM
Freshman

Ottomatic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitnrun View Post

Blah, Blah, Blah. I'll tell you what I tell my youngest...You know what helps?...Crying about it.

You do have a point on the windscreens. The reason I know that is the 4 years my son played there I was a part of the parent volunteers that put the screens up each Spring. Funny you would talk about the field because you helped with early season field clean up and prep exactly zero times. They do need replaced so I'll reach out to the AD to see how I can help to get them replaced. Even though I don't have a kid on the team.

As for Canal Park...waste of money. Copley played there 4 years in a row (not 5). The first year it was cool and many of the players and families went to the RubberDucks game we were given the tickets to sell. Each year less people went and no one wanted to sell the tickets. Sometimes it just gets old and doing something different is the right thing to do.

When I saw the schedule come out this year I thought Thurmon Munson was a nice touch. I wasn't surprised Canal Park wasn't on the schedule considering the program had to eat about $1500 each of the previous 2 years since no one wanted to sell the tickets and they weren't forced to do it.

Maybe if you would ever offer to help things would improve. Fat chance that ever happens. It is interesting that you never mention the Quad batting cages that were put in last year. Those cost $25k-$30k to put in so replacing wind screens may have had to wait a season or two. But that wouldn't support your ridiculous argument.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-10-17, 06:57 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Blah, Blah, Blah. I'll tell you what I tell my youngest...You know what helps?...Crying about it.

You do have a point on the windscreens. The reason I know that is the 4 years my son played there I was a part of the parent volunteers that put the screens up each Spring. Funny you would talk about the field because you helped with early season field clean up and prep exactly zero times. They do need replaced so I'll reach out to the AD to see how I can help to get them replaced. Even though I don't have a kid on the team.

As for Canal Park...waste of money. Copley played there 4 years in a row (not 5). The first year it was cool and many of the players and families went to the RubberDucks game we were given the tickets to sell. Each year less people went and no one wanted to sell the tickets. Sometimes it just gets old and doing something different is the right thing to do.

When I saw the schedule come out this year I thought Thurmon Munson was a nice touch. I wasn't surprised Canal Park wasn't on the schedule considering the program had to eat about $1500 each of the previous 2 years since no one wanted to sell the tickets and they weren't forced to do it.

Maybe if you would ever offer to help things would improve. Fat chance that ever happens. It is interesting that you never mention the Quad batting cages that were put in last year. Those cost $25k-$30k to put in so replacing wind screens may have had to wait a season or two. But that wouldn't support your ridiculous argument.

Otto bringing the high heat itt

As far as things like windscreens being put up, that's usually on the seniors' parents to line that kind of thing up. It seems like you mentioned a bunch of Copley kids graduated last year. Probably no one stepped up to fill the void.....
Old 05-11-17, 08:17 AM
All Ohio

Wind screens are basically a ripped up mess. Not enough pieces to cover the complete outfield. Have needed to be replaced but have been told no finances available for a new wind screen. Nothing to do with the parents, as they showed in good numbers prior to start of season to help prepare the field. They just didn't have the materials needed to complete the job. School grounds staff as far as we know are responsible for mowing the field. The outfield hadn't been mowed, and looked like a cow pasture. But, to give credit to the coach, seems he's the only one who spends anytime working on the facilities. But, he's only one man, with apparent limited finances.
Old 05-12-17, 11:32 AM
All Ohio

BlueDevil Backer is an unknown quantity at this point
Let's try and get away from the negativity surrounding Copley Baseball and the Coach and move to something more worthy of discussion.

Season has concluded and all the teams have been seen. Any opinions on all league selections? Let's hear your opinions of what you've seen from your own teams and other Suburban League teams?

To start throwing out names:

Arslanian - Aurora
Fromwiller - Aurora
Jon. Blue - Aurora
Stawicki - Aurora
Rose - Aurora
Coady - Aurora
Elsawy - Aurora
Boyd - Tallmadge
Burick - Tallmadge
Sc. Seeker - Tallmadge
Gergely - Tallmadge
Glasser - Tallmadge
Taylor - Tallmadge
Miller - Highland
Budzinski - Highland
Fisher - Highland
Keller - Highland
Oriti - Highland
Ambro - Highland
Gray - Kent
Rubish - Kent
Common - Kent
Kaderle - Kent
McKown - Kent
Hays - Copley
Correia - Copley
Moses - Copley
Benson - Copley
Nedolast - Copley
Licarrdi - Revere
Baumgardner - Revere
Fink - Revere
Amentini - Revere
Land - Revere
Chisnell - Barberton
Saunders - Barberton
Hood - Barberton

Last edited by BlueDevil Backer; 05-21-17 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-12-17, 02:09 PM
All Ohio

Chisnell from Barberton good choice
Old 05-12-17, 07:20 PM
Go Buckeyes

Revere 6, CVCA 5
Old 05-15-17, 07:18 PM
Go Buckeyes

Tallmadge 7, Massillon 6

Suicide squeeze by Tallmadge in the bottom of the 7th to win it.
Old 05-17-17, 12:38 PM
Varsity

sporty123 is on a distinguished road
When will the all suburban teams be named?
Old 05-19-17, 09:10 AM
All Ohio

Seems Yappi gets that info out when available. Don't see anything in the paper, or other local news outlets. Could also refer to teams individual baseball twitter accounts.
Old 05-19-17, 01:26 PM
Varsity

BulldogBaseball is on a distinguished road
Suburban League coaches meeting in Sunday at 12:30. We will make our all league selections then.
Old 05-28-17, 05:51 PM
All Ohio

Anybody have any updated info on Suburban or any other N.E. Ohio all league selections?
Old 05-30-17, 01:59 PM
All District

SLAGuy is on a distinguished road
How do they pick all league? Slotted spots based on final standings? Hard to believe that Barberton or Revere would have any players above honorable mention.
Old 05-30-17, 02:45 PM
All Ohio

I believe the amount of first team, second team, honorable mention selections awarded to each team depends on the final standing order. First place three 1st teamers, and so forth. Also I believe individual coaches can choose/nominate whomever they want from their team to fill their allotted team's spots available.
Old 05-30-17, 06:46 PM
Varsity

Highland had 2 first team, 2 second, and, I believe, 2 honorable mention
Old 05-30-17, 08:47 PM
All Ohio

Where were you able to get that info regarding the Highland players.
Old 05-31-17, 08:41 AM
Varsity

I know some of those families
Old 05-31-17, 09:07 AM
All Ohio

Congrats to those kids at Highland.
Old 05-31-17, 10:54 AM
Varsity

reggiejackson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post

hahaha. Great stuff!
Old 05-31-17, 01:44 PM
Freshman

FanofCopley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sporty123 View Post
Highland had 2 first team, 2 second, and, I believe, 2 honorable mention
I believe Copley had the exact same number on the 1st, 2nd and HM teams.
Old 05-31-17, 02:20 PM
All District

SLAGuy is on a distinguished road
Wasn't Copley at the bottom of the league?
Old 05-31-17, 03:53 PM
All Ohio

I believe Copley finished 5th.
Old 07-16-17, 02:46 AM
Freshman

thekid97 is on a distinguished road
C