Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-28-18, 09:47 AM
Unstacked Unstacked is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 02-03-09
Posts: 850
Unstacked is on a distinguished road
Lebanon Inv.

What teams are here this year on the girls side?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 08-28-18, 10:12 AM
Finishtiming Finishtiming is online now
All Region
 
Join Date: 01-25-10
Posts: 370
Finishtiming is on a distinguished road
Boys Teams
29 Teams
723 Entries
Team # Entries
Batavia 10
Cin. Northwest 8
Clinton-Massie 16
Elder 57
Fairfield 29
Fenwick 20
Franklin 12
Hillcrest 7
Immaculate Heart of Mary MS 0
Kings MS 25
Lak. East 28
LaSalle 26
Lebanon 45
Lebanon MS 33
Middletown 5
Moeller 61
Northmont 17
Northmont MS 24
Oak Hills 0
Ross 15
Springboro 36
St. Veronica 13
St. Xavier 70
Sycamore 59
SYCAMORE MS 57
Tre. Edgewood 10
Tre. Edgewood MS 12
Waynesville 28
Winton Woods 0

Girls Teams
29 Teams
331 Entries
Team # Entries
Batavia 4
Cin. Northwest 7
Clinton-Massie 5
Elder 0
Fairfield 26
Fenwick 9
Franklin 4
Hillcrest 0
Immaculate Heart of Mary MS 0
Kings MS 8
Lak. East 27
LaSalle 0
Lebanon 35
Lebanon MS 26
Middletown 3
Moeller 0
Northmont 13
Northmont MS 12
Oak Hills 20
Ross 11
Springboro 34
St. Veronica 5
St. Xavier 0
Sycamore 0
SYCAMORE MS 45
Tre. Edgewood 11
Tre. Edgewood MS 5
Waynesville 21
Winton Woods 0
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-28-18, 10:37 AM
Unstacked Unstacked is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 02-03-09
Posts: 850
Unstacked is on a distinguished road
Whats the schedule look like on Saturday?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-28-18, 10:52 AM
Finishtiming Finishtiming is online now
All Region
 
Join Date: 01-25-10
Posts: 370
Finishtiming is on a distinguished road
HS Girls 8am
HS Varsity Boys (run 10) 8:40
Open Boys 9:20
MS Girls 10:00
MS Boys 10:30
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-28-18, 11:53 AM
Lancermania's Avatar
Lancermania Lancermania is offline
Lancers lead the way!
 
Join Date: 08-23-04
Posts: 8,875
Lancermania is on a distinguished road
Xavier University is running a high school meet on the same day at VOA. Wonder who's left to run at this one.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-28-18, 08:01 PM
EuclidandViren EuclidandViren is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 04-01-12
Posts: 959
EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancermania View Post
Xavier University is running a high school meet on the same day at VOA. Wonder who's left to run at this one.
Lancermania will this be the first time LaSalle is at Lebanon? They have gone to Greenville for what seems like the last 2 decades.

Besides Lebanon, Miamisburg and Greenville also have decent size meets this weekend too.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-29-18, 12:34 AM
Lancermania's Avatar
Lancermania Lancermania is offline
Lancers lead the way!
 
Join Date: 08-23-04
Posts: 8,875
Lancermania is on a distinguished road
When Frank Russo was head coach, they went to Greenvile every year. Now that Derrick Jackson is the new head coach, he picks his own meets that he wants to go to. I went up to Greenville once just to see what it was like, never could undertand the fascination with that meet other than running over a bridge and hearing the girls scream when it bounced up and down or possibly the cannon starts. It was too far to go to a meet for me when there were plenty of other meets nearby. When La Salle hired Jackson he had over 14 years of cross country coaching experience at both the high school and collegiate levels; seven of those years at Thomas More College. While a coach at Thomas More, Jackson grew the program from six participants to 27 while developing the program into a nationally recognized program.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-29-18, 06:00 AM
JAVMAN83 JAVMAN83 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 05-03-10
Location: Somewhere in the ether
Posts: 2,361
JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Derrick is a good man. Was a dedicated student athlete at Wilmington College, and his excellence has evidently continued since those days. I wish him and the Lancers much success.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-29-18, 06:49 AM
ccrunner609 ccrunner609 is online now
All World
 
Join Date: 02-15-10
Posts: 2,912
ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancermania View Post
When Frank Russo was head coach, they went to Greenvile every year. Now that Derrick Jackson is the new head coach, he picks his own meets that he wants to go to. I went up to Greenville once just to see what it was like, never could undertand the fascination with that meet other than running over a bridge and hearing the girls scream when it bounced up and down or possibly the cannon starts. It was too far to go to a meet for me when there were plenty of other meets nearby. When La Salle hired Jackson he had over 14 years of cross country coaching experience at both the high school and collegiate levels; seven of those years at Thomas More College. While a coach at Thomas More, Jackson grew the program from six participants to 27 while developing the program into a nationally recognized program.
greenville was a great meet for decades. It is a very small meet now. LaSalle had to run somewhere north of Dayton at some point to see the competition. When the Troy Inv. stopped letting Cinci teams come LaSalle had to go somewhere....I guess it was greenville.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-29-18, 07:37 AM
Running Man 101 Running Man 101 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-27-11
Posts: 1,153
Running Man 101 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrunner609 View Post
greenville was a great meet for decades. It is a very small meet now. LaSalle had to run somewhere north of Dayton at some point to see the competition. When the Troy Inv. stopped letting Cinci teams come LaSalle had to go somewhere....I guess it was greenville.
Troy has been allowing Cinci schools at their invite. Maybe they did stop at some point.

I have a problem with people criticizing where programs go for meets. There is a variety of reasons for going to certain places. These things ebb and flow depending on your team make-up. I try to schedule two completely new events for my teams every year. Some meets are just more fun than others for the kids and it is not always obvious to parents and outsiders. Sometimes someone new starts managing an event and ruins it, other times they make it better. Some "local" meets race in places were kids run on poor surfaces (ground or to much pavement).
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-29-18, 09:16 AM
ccrunner609 ccrunner609 is online now
All World
 
Join Date: 02-15-10
Posts: 2,912
ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Man 101 View Post
Troy has been allowing Cinci schools at their invite. Maybe they did stop at some point.

I have a problem with people criticizing where programs go for meets. There is a variety of reasons for going to certain places. These things ebb and flow depending on your team make-up. I try to schedule two completely new events for my teams every year. Some meets are just more fun than others for the kids and it is not always obvious to parents and outsiders. Sometimes someone new starts managing an event and ruins it, other times they make it better. Some "local" meets race in places were kids run on poor surfaces (ground or to much pavement).
yea back in the mid-late 90's troy cut out all cinci schools from meet. It was a crazy thing to do, not let someone come to a meet where the regional was held.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-29-18, 09:34 AM
EuclidandViren EuclidandViren is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 04-01-12
Posts: 959
EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrunner609 View Post
yea back in the mid-late 90's troy cut out all cinci schools from meet. It was a crazy thing to do, not let someone come to a meet where the regional was held.
Killed the Troy meet. Helped Mason and Tiffin to both grow in size to become mega meets.

In reality, there were no Mega meets except Tiffin in the 80's and 90's. The mega meet as we know it now is fairly a new concept that grew with the age of the internet.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-29-18, 09:59 AM
ccrunner609 ccrunner609 is online now
All World
 
Join Date: 02-15-10
Posts: 2,912
ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuclidandViren View Post
Killed the Troy meet. Helped Mason and Tiffin to both grow in size to become mega meets.

In reality, there were no Mega meets except Tiffin in the 80's and 90's. The mega meet as we know it now is fairly a new concept that grew with the age of the internet.
troy was a massive meet. Not sure the internet created our trends, more the ability to run a meet with chips and a computer. Hand timing/scoring/results used to be a nightmare.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-29-18, 10:29 AM
Rohbino Rohbino is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-08-07
Location: Hunting Valley
Posts: 1,723
Rohbino is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finishtiming View Post
HS Girls 8am
HS Varsity Boys (run 10) 8:40
Open Boys 9:20
MS Girls 10:00
MS Boys 10:30
That's an early schedule. I have no familiarity with the meet but, if I recall accurately, a few years back it was very hot and there were multiple runs to hospitals by life squads due to heat exhaustion/dehydration. Also, and I could be wrong, but was the meet also canceled one year due to high heat? Perhaps the early start times are a way to try avoid those issues? Late summer/early fall XC meets are always going to have the inherent risk of high temperatures. Actually, with the strange weather we've had in Ohio lately, high temperatures might be a risk at any point during the fall.

The fields for this meet seem very large as well. The boys are being divided up into a varsity race (10 runners per team) and an open meet but the girls are running varsity and open in a combined race. I looked at the numbers of runners in the field from last year in both the girls and boys varsity races and the fields were substantially smaller. It looked like there were 75 girls and 101 boys. This year, after subtracting out the middle school runners listed in Finishtiming's post above, I estimated there to be about 235 girls and 200ish boys running. I didn't even fathom a guess as to how many boys will be in the open race but it will be a very large number. It seems that Lebanon should have limited the field size.

Part of the reason that the size seems like it should have been limited is becase meets that are held at a school venue often can't accommodate such large fields due to tight spaces. As I mentioned earlier I have no familiarity with this event or the venue but in looking at the map it appears to be a very tight course. There doesn't a appear to be a lot of distance between the start and the first turn or, for that matter, the next two turns after that. I would expect a lot of jostling to be going on and slow times for all but the top runners. It looks chaotic.



Quote:
Originally Posted by EuclidandViren View Post
The mega meet as we know it now is fairly a new concept that grew with the age of the internet.
I believe that mega meets also grew out of dual/tri/quad meets falling out of favor. It seems that those are never contested anymore. Along with the mega meets has also come the emphasis of times instead of place. Runners would often rather run a fast time and lose a race instead winning with a slower time.

Last edited by Rohbino; 08-29-18 at 10:57 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-29-18, 10:58 AM
EuclidandViren EuclidandViren is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 04-01-12
Posts: 959
EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrunner609 View Post
troy was a massive meet. Not sure the internet created our trends, more the ability to run a meet with chips and a computer. Hand timing/scoring/results used to be a nightmare.
Unsure if it was a nightmare. But if you didn't have 15-25 parents in the chute area with 2-3 officials it was difficult. I actually loved the Popsicle system because I was able to score the meet faster for my team.
I also loved the excitement of the waiting game at regional and state for the announcer to declare the team the results.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-29-18, 10:59 AM
Unstacked Unstacked is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 02-03-09
Posts: 850
Unstacked is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=Rohbino;

Part of the reason that the size seems like it should have been limited is becase meets that are held at a school venue often can't accommodate such large fields due to tight spaces. As I mentioned earlier I have no familiarity with this event or the venue but in looking at the map it appears to be a very tight course. There doesn't a appear to be a lot of distance between the start and the first turn or, for that matter, the next two turns after that. I would expect a lot of jostling to be going on and slow times for all but the top runners. It looks chaotic.



Where did you find a map of the course?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-29-18, 11:01 AM
EuclidandViren EuclidandViren is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 04-01-12
Posts: 959
EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
Speaking of nightmares and mega races:

826 finishers last year in the Fairmont JV race. Where after 80 yards the field narrows to 10 yards across into the trees.

http://live.finishtiming.com/#/resul...d-xc/results/5

No fair for any kid involved. Unsafe for all involved.

Mason race is very similar to Lebanon and Fairmont. Very narrow very quick. But people still attend these meets when it is not fair to all kids.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-29-18, 11:09 AM
Rohbino Rohbino is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-08-07
Location: Hunting Valley
Posts: 1,723
Rohbino is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstacked View Post

Where did you find a map of the course?
http://www.finishtiming.com/meet_det...id=5A443CEC20A
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-29-18, 11:48 AM
mathking mathking is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-25-10
Posts: 1,548
mathking is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuclidandViren View Post
Speaking of nightmares and mega races:

826 finishers last year in the Fairmont JV race. Where after 80 yards the field narrows to 10 yards across into the trees.

http://live.finishtiming.com/#/resul...d-xc/results/5

No fair for any kid involved. Unsafe for all involved.

Mason race is very similar to Lebanon and Fairmont. Very narrow very quick. But people still attend these meets when it is not fair to all kids.
I don't feel like the Mason meet gets narrow all that quickly. There is a right turn about 200 meters or so into the race, but there is plenty of space to take it wide and then there is a nice long run around the field. It is actually specifically a meet where we talk to kids about setting up your turns, which was really important for us when the district meet was at Watkins. A couple years back our guys team all swung up a few places toward the front when everyone slowed down trying to take the turn tight. It put them in a position to win the meet.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-29-18, 01:02 PM
EuclidandViren EuclidandViren is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 04-01-12
Posts: 959
EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
mathking
I agree using it to get ready for another race like your district race, especially the varsity. But for the JV kids? 400-600 kids? Borderline not safe.

I think a simple solution at Mason would be to start in the corner of the 2nd turn and run diagonally across the big field toward the now starting line. That would give the runners a good 400 meters of a straightaway before the first place where it narrows. Running the race backwards from that point would also help.

Minimally you want 600-800 meters before the first turn or point where the course narrows if you are hosting a mega meet.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-29-18, 01:35 PM
Finishtiming Finishtiming is online now
All Region
 
Join Date: 01-25-10
Posts: 370
Finishtiming is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuclidandViren View Post
Speaking of nightmares and mega races:

826 finishers last year in the Fairmont JV race. Where after 80 yards the field narrows to 10 yards across into the trees.

http://live.finishtiming.com/#/resul...d-xc/results/5

No fair for any kid involved. Unsafe for all involved.

Mason race is very similar to Lebanon and Fairmont. Very narrow very quick. But people still attend these meets when it is not fair to all kids.
We told fairmont this year they had to split up that open race as it was just too many kids. It is now 2 seperate races.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-30-18, 12:50 PM
mathking mathking is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-25-10
Posts: 1,548
mathking is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuclidandViren View Post
I also loved the excitement of the waiting game at regional and state for the announcer to declare the team the results.
I remember the novelty in 2011 with the live results at the state meet. Our assistant principal was at the state meet, the AD was at a volleyball game and the principal was at a soccer game. She texted them that were 4th based on the preliminary live results that flashed on the screen. She later said that she though it was great that we were so happy with 4th when the kids started jumping up and down. I asked her if she had told texted them. She said yes. It was a while later before they found out we won.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-30-18, 09:37 PM
5x26 5x26 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 05-22-17
Posts: 73
5x26 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohbino View Post

Part of the reason that the size seems like it should have been limited is becase meets that are held at a school venue often can't accommodate such large fields due to tight spaces. As I mentioned earlier I have no familiarity with this event or the venue but in looking at the map it appears to be a very tight course. There doesn't a appear to be a lot of distance between the start and the first turn or, for that matter, the next two turns after that. I would expect a lot of jostling to be going on and slow times for all but the top runners. It looks chaotic.






I believe that mega meets also grew out of dual/tri/quad meets falling out of favor. It seems that those are never contested anymore. Along with the mega meets has also come the emphasis of times instead of place. Runners would often rather run a fast time and lose a race instead winning with a slower time.
The start to the first turn is about 210 yards give or take.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-30-18, 11:08 PM
Lancermania's Avatar
Lancermania Lancermania is offline
Lancers lead the way!
 
Join Date: 08-23-04
Posts: 8,875
Lancermania is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finishtiming View Post
We told fairmont this year they had to split up that open race as it was just too many kids. It is now 2 seperate races.
Is Kettering Farimont the best boys team in Dayton this year, even better than Centerville?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-31-18, 12:27 PM
xcountry315 xcountry315 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 06-01-08
Posts: 57
xcountry315 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancermania View Post
Is Kettering Farimont the best boys team in Dayton this year, even better than Centerville?
Fairmont had a very nice showing at Northmont last week, but I'm not sure I'm ready to crown them as the best team in Dayton. Not everybody has opened up with their full squads yet, so time will tell, but based on past results, track prs, etc., I'd say Fairmont is probably the 4-5 best team...

1. Centerville - two individual state qualifiers haven't opened up yet, several more with prs under 17.
2. Beavercreek - Riley B. is a legit front runner (individual qualifier in XC and 800 in track), guys like Ewert and Hess have prs under 17 and had great track seasons.
3. Miamisburg - Very solid front four, led by 4:20 miler Parker Hines

4-7 in no particular order - Springboro, Fairmont, Carroll, Lebanon
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-31-18, 02:16 PM
Rohbino Rohbino is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-08-07
Location: Hunting Valley
Posts: 1,723
Rohbino is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcountry315 View Post
2. Beavercreek - Riley B. is a legit front runner (individual qualifier in XC and 800 in track), guys like Ewert and Hess have prs under 17 and had great track seasons.
There's another Ewert? I assume he's a younger sibling of Ben & Taylor. Does he look like he's going to be as good of runner and as versatile as those two? Great genes in that family!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-01-18, 09:54 AM
Lancermania's Avatar
Lancermania Lancermania is offline
Lancers lead the way!
 
Join Date: 08-23-04
Posts: 8,875
Lancermania is on a distinguished road
22 teams score in boys race led by Elder panthers in Steve Spencer's final season coaching after 40+ years. Resuls are here. http://live.finishtiming.com/#/resul...d-xc/results/4
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-01-18, 09:57 AM
Lancermania's Avatar
Lancermania Lancermania is offline
Lancers lead the way!
 
Join Date: 08-23-04
Posts: 8,875
Lancermania is on a distinguished road
Lakota East's girls win girls race

Lakota East's girls beat Lebanon despite the Warriors 1-2 punch 29-46. http://live.finishtiming.com/#/resul...d-xc/results/3
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-01-18, 01:41 PM
EuclidandViren EuclidandViren is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 04-01-12
Posts: 959
EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohbino View Post
There's another Ewert? I assume he's a younger sibling of Ben & Taylor. Does he look like he's going to be as good of runner and as versatile as those two? Great genes in that family!
As a freshmen
Milesplit
3200- broke 10:00
16:00- broke 4:40
XC 5k- broke 17:00

Pretty decent freshmen times.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Edgewood Lebanon scrimmage a full report hoser Football 42 08-20-18 09:37 PM
Lebanon hires Matthew Hopkins as HC FairmontAlum Football 0 01-23-18 12:00 PM
Buffalo Inv pburg Wrestling 1 12-16-17 08:26 PM
Lebanon Warriors vs Miamisburg lebanonwarriors4ever Football 3 10-09-17 10:09 AM
Brian Kindell Lebanon Softball/Football warriorfootballfan Softball 7 07-01-17 06:52 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz