Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Elder Panthers

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-14-17, 11:51 AM
All Ohio

CincyHSfootball is on a distinguished road
New Elder AD - Kevin Espelage

New article on Cincinnati.com about Kevin Espelage

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/spor...tor/471114001/

Elder names '91 graduate new athletic director

Adam Baum , abaum@enquirer.com Published 8:40 a.m. ET July 14, 2017 | Updated 10:29 a.m. ET July 14, 2017

PRICE HILL - Longtime Elder High School athletic director Dave Dabbelt retired on June 30 after 27 years at the helm and turned over the keys to a familiar face.

Kevin Espelage, a 1991 Elder grad who’s worked at the school for the last 18 years, was officially introduced Tuesday as Dabbelt’s successor.

Espelage, who as a student played football, basketball and baseball, spent the last two years as an assistant athletic director in preparation for the position.

“I think this is following a path of progression,” said Espelage, who’s coached baseball and football for the Panthers. “I don’t know that I envisioned this when I first got here 18 years ago on this side of the fence as a teacher and a coach. I did get funneled in this direction maybe 10 years ago … you hear from coaches and teachers, saying ‘Hey, you might make a good AD someday.’ I guess it’s been in the cards.”

Espelage said the reality of the job hit him quickly.

“Last week, my first Friday, we had The Pit double booked, so I’m doing a great job,” he laughed. “It was a good way to start the morning, but we were able to manage it and everyone was still able to have their events going on.

“And I didn’t call Dave right away. I didn’t. He’ll get enough of his ‘I told you so’ stories. It was funny.”

Espelage acknowledged that minor mishaps will inevitably happen, “but at the end of the day it’s just making sure the kids get a chance to compete.”

Espelage won’t be flying solo either. He has a wing man in Phil Bengel.

“Phil Bengel has accepted the job as assistant AD,” said Espelage. “Longtime freshman basketball coach, he’ll continue in that. He’ll still continue to be a color commentator on our radio broadcasts as well. He’s jumped up to fill that role and I’m excited about the perspective he brings to the table.”
Old 07-14-17, 12:53 PM
All American

trey2k is on a distinguished road
Hope he's got some new, fresh ideas...and he's allowed to implement them.

Good luck to him...very important transition period for Elder athletics.
Old 07-14-17, 01:11 PM
Moderated User

Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
I've spoken to him directly, and he's flat out said wining is important, but Elder's not going to bend the rules for athletes, especially kids only looking out for themselves. Anyone expecting them to use vouchers as a recruiting tool is going to be disappointed.

We're not buddies by any stretch, but I hope he succeeds, bc that means Elder succeeds.
Old 07-14-17, 01:48 PM
All American

As others have mentioned, there is a strong, strong link between athletic success and enrollment at Elder. There's plenty more the school can be doing to expand on their student base besides using vouchers to recruit. Things I think would help:

1) A true investment in finding the best talent for their youth programs through valid tryouts for 5th-8th grade. No more hand-picking of kids. Stop the "these teams aren't affiliated with Elder" nonsense and use them to develop your future talent. Right now it's as much of a social event as a competitive event.
2) Open competition for roster spots. For teams that finish close to .500 or less, there's no spots that should be guaranteed the following year. I know they won't admit this happens, but this happens. This will work to end the "I already know who they're going to take, so what's the point of trying out" perception that exists.
3) Have a plan for succession in all 3 big sports...all three head coaches will likely be gone in the next 5 years. Should not be flat footed here, and there's time to vet great candidates. Additionally, empower them to create a new, refreshed culture in their respective sports.
4) Expand the marketing/admissions function with a link to athletics. Recruit using younger, passionate professionals that understand what Elder once was, and pay them based on enrollment results. There's no reason athletics can't be a major part of the school's recruiting and marketing efforts.
5) Get Rankin some help and an investment in training facilities. I'm betting a capital fund with athletics in mind would bring cash to the table for those where donations may have run dry.
Old 07-14-17, 01:55 PM
Moderated User

Trey, say it with me, nobody cares what you have to say. You post an ungodly amt for someone with zero insight. You're worse than the no knowledge posters like VOR, Polar Panther, and Purple Mojo.
Old 07-14-17, 02:00 PM
All American

As you can tell from all of your "trey, nobody cares" posts, I'm ignoring them, as is everyone else.

I'm not getting into the back and forth with you on your juvenile personality disorder. Those are my thoughts...it's a message board. Don't care if you don't agree. And I'm guessing most would say my insight is much more in-tune than yours. Agree or disagree, my opinions have basis. I welcome a good debate between reasonable adults...but you are simply incapable.
Old 07-14-17, 02:09 PM
Moderated User

You're b1tching lost all credibility when you said Bono wasn't a D1 prospect. You're entire perspective makes zero sense. All you do is b1tch and b1tch about grade school sports politics. You constantly push the narrative all the other GCL schools have this abundance of talent while Elder has a bunch of schmoes. If you honestly think there's D1 prospects getting cut and giving up on sports in grade school, you're an idiot. I guess that's already been proven when you believe every butthurt parent complaining about politics instead of listening to the well informed, level headed posters.

You're a garbage human being for telling us to "get used" to mediocrity. Again, if you feel that way, why waste your time following Elder? It's likely bc you're a huge waste of life who likes to use this as a platform to complain.
Old 07-14-17, 02:15 PM
All American

Once again, never said Elder is cutting studs in favor of legacy kids. I said once past that, the legacy kids have the leg up, and the perception decreases sports competition and even enrollment as this perception exists for kids that may be on the border of playing sports (they decide not to try out at all, or even worse, pick another school where they know they may have a better chance of playing). Comprehend please. For the 550th time. Yet everytime I give you this explanation, you call me a name.

There have been just as many posters that have agreed with me that have said I'm complaining. You choose to ignore that. Whatever.

Once again, you've turned a perfectly fine level-headed opinion thread into a pissing match.
Old 07-14-17, 02:25 PM
Moderated User

Trey's wrong, I think we all know it. Getting Elder athletics up
To par is a simple answer, but a tough task... They 2-3 impact athletes per class, more than likely from outside feeders. Football needs to badly add Speed to the back 7/8 on the Defense. Offensively, it'd help, but the Elder Offense has proven time and again, you can plug kids in and be successful. The only thing that held them back last year was the OL and they can find OL in the Feeders.
Old 07-17-17, 07:03 AM
All American

PantherDad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
Trey's wrong, I think we all know it. Getting Elder athletics up
To par is a simple answer, but a tough task... They 2-3 impact athletes per class, more than likely from outside feeders. Football needs to badly add Speed to the back 7/8 on the Defense. Offensively, it'd help, but the Elder Offense has proven time and again, you can plug kids in and be successful. The only thing that held them back last year was the OL and they can find OL in the Feeders.
You two need to get a room!
Old 07-17-17, 09:03 AM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherDad View Post
You two need to get a room!
They compliment eachother so well
Old 07-17-17, 09:06 AM
All American

Don't lump me in with that lunatic.

I can be critical, but I ain't him. I don't get personal, act like a jack*ss, or berate people in IM. I give my opinions. If you're bothered by them, I don't know what to tell you. While I admit some are controversial, most are based in reality and/or perception.
Old 07-17-17, 09:41 AM
Moderated User

Trey is useless. None the of what he says is based on fact, it's all info from butthurt parents. I'm the only non homer who has had direct conversations with the Admin and coaches.

Being dumb and controversial aren't the same thing. Your knee jerk response everyte you're shown to be wrong, which happens often, is to get defensive. The only thing you add to this forum is estrogen.
Old 07-17-17, 09:45 AM
All American

Case in point...
Old 07-17-17, 09:52 AM
Moderated User

What? That you're a mental midget who can't form a cogent and consistent argument? All you do is b1tch and b1tch, then when you're called out, you cower in a defensive mode. You add nothing of value.
Old 07-17-17, 09:55 AM
All American

Just stop...you're ruining the board. It's become a ghost town because of this back and forth. Let people have opinions without going apesh*t on them.

I, for one, like to read the opinion of others that have pretty much disappeared.
Old 07-17-17, 09:59 AM
Moderated User

It's a ghost town bc it's the slowest time of year. If anything, your pvssified fatalistic complaining is driving people away. If anyone seriously thinks Elder will never compete again, you're a loser for wasting your time here and going to the games. You're no better than Killa.
Old 07-17-17, 10:08 AM
All World

Jteegardner
Do you see the pattern here? Every post is always a sparring session between Trey and Descartes. This Yappi Elder site has very little activity among the other Elder posters. I honestly believe its because no one want to read the constant bickering between these two. If I was new to this area and was considering Elder and read this non-sense, I would have 2nd thoughts about Elder. Yeah I know a reasonable person does not place his/her knowledge on Yappi alone but really people, you make Elder look stupid?
Old 07-17-17, 10:18 AM
Moderated User

He's got to be put in his place. The only worse fan than a homer is the . He's the type of person who will deep down root for Elder to lose so he can come here and say "I told you so." And frankly, his arguments aren't consistent, he's just a whiny unintelligent pvss.
Old 07-17-17, 10:51 AM
All American

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jteegardner View Post
Do you see the pattern here? Every post is always a sparring session between Trey and Descartes. This Yappi Elder site has very little activity among the other Elder posters. I honestly believe its because no one want to read the constant bickering between these two. If I was new to this area and was considering Elder and read this non-sense, I would have 2nd thoughts about Elder. Yeah I know a reasonable person does not place his/her knowledge on Yappi alone but really people, you make Elder look stupid?
That and Elder isn't very good in the major sports anymore.
Old 07-17-17, 11:03 AM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Doesn't mean it will be that way forever. People are right to criticize the lack of recent success, however, nobody should just "accept" this is the way it will always be.
Old 07-17-17, 11:11 AM
All American

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I don't disagree. But less success=less excitement=less discussion/conversation from the more casual fans.
Old 07-17-17, 11:13 AM
All Region

GCLFan99 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jteegardner View Post
This is a good point. This site was always a fun read with passionate, informed discussions among the Elder faithful. Although not an Elder fan it was fun to read the discussions that used to occur in this forum.

I am not close enough to Elder to know if fan support has waned due to the recent results in the big sports. The support Elder receives from its fan base always struck me as driven by loyalty and passion as opposed to the results on the field. That is not to diminish the impact winning has on fan support, but it certainly did not strike me as the primary driver. I hope the Elder faithful return to this board as football season heats up
Old 07-17-17, 11:25 AM
Moderated User

Quote:
I don't disagree. But less success=less excitement=less discussion/conversation from the more casual fans.
This is the truth.
Old 07-17-17, 11:29 AM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCLFan99 View Post
This is a good point. This site was always a fun read with passionate, informed discussions among the Elder faithful. Although not an Elder fan it was fun to read the discussions that used to occur in this forum.

I am not close enough to Elder to know if fan support has waned due to the recent results in the big sports. The support Elder receives from its fan base always struck me as driven by loyalty and passion as opposed to the results on the field. That is not to diminish the impact winning has on fan support, but it certainly did not strike me as the primary driver. I hope the Elder faithful return to this board as football season heats up
It's mid July, there's just not much to talk about. Make no mistake, Elder has more bandwagon fans than anyone. Every time they win a big game, the following week, tickets fly off the shelf. Also, the season ticket holders who sit to the right of the Press Box are useless. They sit around with their thumb up their azz the whole game. There's still diehard fans, and they deserve recognition, which can only be achieved by calling out the bandwaggoners. And normally the SS is awesome, but frankly, last year's Srs were horrible. A no show for a GCL game is the most pathetic thing I've seen.
Old 07-17-17, 12:53 PM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
Quote:
This is a much bigger issue for sure than a couple of guys arguing back and forth on a message board.
Old 07-17-17, 01:07 PM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Flamenco View Post
This is a much bigger issue for sure than a couple of guys arguing back and forth on a message board.
But the big argument is accepting the current mediocrity v. not accepting it. If you truly believe Elder is forever doomed to a mediocre athletic existence, there's no point following them. I firmly believe Elder can and will do better over the coming years. And that should mean something since I've never been a homer. In fact, I've alienated just about everyone bc I won't tell each side what they want to hear. I don't particularly get along with the Admin bc they're hypersensitive to criticism, at the same time, I think they have people running the show who want to win and are doing everything in their power to win. Often the Trey2k types want to paint the staff as aloof or clueless and I know it's not true.

As always, the truth is gray. There are issues that need to be addressed, but at the same time, Elder had the resources to be competitive.
Old 07-17-17, 01:17 PM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
But the big argument is accepting the current mediocrity v. not accepting it. If you truly believe Elder is forever doomed to a mediocre athletic existence, there's no point following them. I firmly believe Elder can and will do better over the coming years. And that should mean something since I've never been a homer. In fact, I've alienated just about everyone bc I won't tell each side what they want to hear. I don't particularly get along with the Admin bc they're hypersensitive to criticism, at the same time, I think they have people running the show who want to win and are doing everything in their power to win. Often the Trey2k types want to paint the staff as aloof or clueless and I know it's not true.

As always, the truth is gray. There are issues that need to be addressed, but at the same time, Elder had the resources to be competitive.
I have no clue whether they will turn their programs around again. Now I agree they have the resources to do so. But there will have to be some changes made and historically Elder doesn't do well with that.
Old 07-17-17, 01:24 PM
Moderated User

Quote:
I have no clue whether they will turn their programs around again. Now I agree they have the resources to do so. But there will have to be some changes made and historically Elder doesn't do well with that.
Elder has typically not handled change well, but the powers at be aren't sitting idly by or ignoring their lack of success. Whether their approach does galvanize the athletic program remains to be seen. My point is if anyone has their mind made up they're going to be permanently avg, why waste your time? Again, I don't have a crystal ball, they might not get it turned around, but I'm willing to give them a chance.
Old 07-17-17, 01:41 PM
All American

Quote:
And that's the basis of my argument. Continuing to operate the same way, with the same type of people, is risky business for the future of the school (not immediate, but 10-20 years down the line) - even though you can already point to somewhat declining enrollment (blip in the radar or new trend?).

While wins and losses, in the grand scheme of things, isn't as important as education, it is a huge factor for future enrollment. That piece has to be a very significant aspect of their marketing.

Time will tell...but they do indeed struggle with ideas outside of the box.

Last edited by trey2k; 07-17-17 at 09:29 PM.