Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Volleyball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-09-17, 09:23 PM
All Region

SLAGuy is on a distinguished road
Is the overall quality of play in JO volleyball down over the past decade?

There is some great volleyball being played, but I don't think it is being done on a vast majority of courts.

1. Overall team play is poor
2. Lack of individual skill
3. Lack of coaching or in game coaching

Opinions?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-17, 08:46 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
I actually think it has gotten better over the past 10 years:

1) Go to any level JO tourney and the courts are packed with teams/girls that know the game, the biggest change is more athletes are playing the sport which leads to deeper teams than what you saw in the past. Outside of lax it is the sport with the highest % increase in participation among girls.

2) And with more athletes comes a new type of game with an emphasis on speed and quick transition between offense and defense. No more lumbering middles standing there cheating to the outside hitters or smallish setters rotating out when they come to the front line, speed and athleticism are a lot more crucial then it was 10 years ago. UNC has a 6'7" setter slated to start next season, 10 years ago that girl would be stuck in the middle or probably be playing basketball.

3) With regards to coaching I think it has gotten better too, especially now that the 1st big wave of girls that grabbed on to the game when rally scoring was adopted are now turning into coaches especially at the club level; these women can really relate to the girls on the court. In game coaching is more mental than anything else, give me a good psychiatrist as a coach and let the setter run the plays and everything should be OK.
Old 07-10-17, 05:31 PM
All Region

SLAGuy is on a distinguished road
It appears that having money gets you on a team. Too many girls that aren't all that talented are playing JO now more than in the past. The top teams are great. The middle and bottom teams are willing to take more questionable players just to fill rosters.
Old 07-11-17, 08:28 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAGuy View Post
It appears that having money gets you on a team. Too many girls that aren't all that talented are playing JO now more than in the past. The top teams are great. The middle and bottom teams are willing to take more questionable players just to fill rosters.
This may be true at the Regional level but at the middle American level I would contend that the game has drastically improved over the past 10 years.
Old 07-24-17, 10:58 PM
All Region

hoban2020 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
This may be true at the Regional level but at the middle American level I would contend that the game has drastically improved over the past 10 years.

Wherever you go, there's a pyramid of top/middle/bottom. I agree that the better American level teams are pretty solid, just lacking the 6-footers.

I just checked my daughter's age group today - there were only 29 National teams in OVR, and only 7 within reasonable driving distance for us. The competition for the spots on those teams is high - so some pretty good players will end up at the upper American level.

And as others said, girls have been greatly moving to volleyball and away from basketball for the better part of the decade. Many high schools have problems filling out JV basketball teams these days while there are cuts in volleyball at many places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-02-17, 08:35 AM
All Region

me1
I agree over all play has improved. I watched a 14 national team with 3 6' running slides, quicks and high level right side attacks, along with the normal compliment of outside attacks.

I was around 10 years ago, although not as involved, but rarely did I see this type of offense being run below 16's.
Old 08-04-17, 08:09 PM
All District

College#19 is on a distinguished road
I think Mionette 16 Team won the JO Open Championship. JO Volleyball is very strong in the OVR area. I think part of what we are seeing is more clubs are popping up so some of the better talent is playing elsewhere to avoid having to drive an hour to practice. We went up the OVR Championships to watch our niece play in 12U Division. While we were there we watched a little bit of the 10U semifinals and the two teams that were playing were amazing. I don't remember seeing that much ball control 10 years ago at the this age level. Both of the teams were passing, setting, and hitting constantly.
Old 08-06-17, 05:38 PM
All Region

me1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAGuy View Post
JO National teams and American teams have great players. Regional teams obviously have less talent than 10 years ago, because American division didn't exist.

I don't think JO was intended to be for just the future DI players. JO is for all players trying to get better and who love playing the game.