Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Elder Panthers

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-22-17, 08:52 PM
All American

Vincent and Regina is on a distinguished road
GCL Biggest Rival

I had a long drive today, and thought who is Elder's biggest Rival and who the rest of the GCL's biggest Rivals are. I came up with the following for the GCL.

Elder
1 X
2 LaSalle
3 Moeller

LaSalle
1X
2 Elder
3 Moeller

Moeller
1 X
2 Elder
3 LaSalle

X
1 Elder
2 Moeller
3 LaSalle

They only team I had trouble with was X. No order really made me happy, but I could justify the other three's order.

I would add Elder's 4th biggest rival as Oak Hills.
Adselder09, Jteegardner, EHS2001, Fair & Balanced, and Spille what do you think?
Old 07-22-17, 09:01 PM
Freshman

Dunder Mifflin is on a distinguished road
For Moeller Ed's is probably is bigger rival for them than LS. It seems like everyone in the GCL south is a big rival for X but I would argue that Moeller is their biggest rival mainly because both schools pull students from a lot of the same areas.
Old 07-22-17, 09:19 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunder Mifflin View Post
For Moeller Ed's is probably is bigger rival for them than LS. It seems like everyone in the GCL south is a big rival for X but I would argue that Moeller is their biggest rival mainly because both schools pull students from a lot of the same areas.
That is the problem with X they draw from the whole city. Yeah the draw from the same area as Moeller, but they also draw from the same area as Elder. Heck they are on the same street as LaSalle so that area is pretty much the same. It just depends on who you ask to determine who is the biggest rival.
Old 07-22-17, 11:41 PM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Good thread. They had a similar one on the main football board. Here's how they stack up in my opinion:

Elder
1. X
2. LaSalle
3. Moeller

St X
1. Moeller
2. Elder
3. LaSalle

Moeller
1. X
2. Elder
3. LaSalle

LaSalle
1. Elder
2. X
3. Moeller
Old 07-23-17, 07:13 AM
All Region

Fair&Balanced is on a distinguished road
Back in the 70's and 80's, I think the orders would have been completely different than now. But, here is now.

Elder
1) X
2) Moeller
3) LaSalle

X
1) Moeller
2) LaSalle
3) Elder

Moeller
1) X
2) Elder
3) LaSalle

LaSalle
1) X
2) Elder
3) Moeller
Old 07-23-17, 11:13 AM
All Yappi

Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Elder

X
LS
Moe

Don't care about the other schools.
Old 07-23-17, 02:38 PM
All Ohio

polar panther is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair&Balanced View Post
Back in the 70's and 80's, I think the orders would have been completely different than now. But, here is now.

Elder
1) X
2) Moeller
3) LaSalle

X
1) Moeller
2) LaSalle
3) Elder

Moeller
1) X
2) Elder
3) LaSalle

LaSalle
1) X
2) Elder
3) Moeller
True, Moeller was the biggest rival in the 70's and 80's. The other two didn't matter. Remember too Purcell and Bacon were in the GCL then.
Old 07-23-17, 04:51 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair&Balanced View Post
That is the other thing I had trouble with. I decided to go with today. If you go back in history I think it changes. One the GCL- was different and two times were different.

I would argue back in the 50's, 60's, and maybe even 70's West Hi was the biggest rival. It is food for thought.

Now that I read your list I do believe Elder is LaSalle's biggest rival. They always seem to want to be us.
Old 07-23-17, 05:59 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent and Regina View Post

Now that I read your list I do believe Elder is LaSalle's biggest rival. They always seem to want to be us.
I hate LS, but this is an arrogant comment. LS has no desire to be anyone but LS.
Old 07-23-17, 07:34 PM
Junior Varsity

Fake Taxi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
I hate LS, but this is an arrogant comment. LS has no desire to be anyone but LS.
Right, I doubt LS got their recruiting and debt ideas from Elder.
Old 07-23-17, 09:22 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
I think he was just trying to say LS wants to have a history like Elder's.

Back in my days at Elder the rivalry was extremely intense at times over the top, insert UHaul story here. It was truly getting out of hand. One theory mentioned was that you had LS students when were sons of Elder grads. Probably some trash talking at the dinner table for sure, and the dads more often than not got the last shot in
Old 07-23-17, 09:46 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fake Taxi View Post
Right, I doubt LS got their recruiting and debt ideas from Elder.
Again, I hate LS. But Elder needs to worry about Elder.
Old 07-23-17, 09:47 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by polar panther View Post
I think he was just trying to say LS wants to have a history like Elder's.

Back in my days at Elder the rivalry was extremely intense at times over the top, insert UHaul story here. It was truly getting out of hand. One theory mentioned was that you had LS students when were sons of Elder grads. Probably some trash talking at the dinner table for sure, and the dads more often than not got the last shot in
But it's not back in the day. LS has their own history now, they're not in Elder's shadow.
Old 07-24-17, 07:29 AM
All Region

GCLFan99 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Elder

X
LS
Moe

Don't care about the other schools.
I am surprised you would list LS over Moeller, unless this is based upon the past few years.

I think there are a couple of factors that driver the rivalries including:

1. Shared feeder schools - This makes St X a natural rival of all three since they draw from the same feeder schools that the other three draw from. This means that in a given year players will be playing against grade school teammates and the rivals of other grade schools. Not only does this impact the players, but also the parents whose kids are playing against the kids of some of their friends.

2. Recent results - If two schools are having success and their games are very competitive I think that also leads to a stronger rivalry. Conversely if one school is dominating the other it feels like less of a rivalry. That is why until the past 5-6 years LS probably wouldnt be considered a top rival of the other three GCL schools.

For the reasons listed above I believe that St X's top rivalry varies depending upon recent results, but also based upon who you ask at the school. For the west side kids I think they are more inclined to state Elder, while the east side kids would select Moeller.
Old 07-24-17, 07:43 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCLFan99 View Post
I am surprised you would list LS over Moeller, unless this is based upon the past few years.

I think there are a couple of factors that driver the rivalries including:

1. Shared feeder schools - This makes St X a natural rival of all three since they draw from the same feeder schools that the other three draw from. This means that in a given year players will be playing against grade school teammates and the rivals of other grade schools. Not only does this impact the players, but also the parents whose kids are playing against the kids of some of their friends.

2. Recent results - If two schools are having success and their games are very competitive I think that also leads to a stronger rivalry. Conversely if one school is dominating the other it feels like less of a rivalry. That is why until the past 5-6 years LS probably wouldnt be considered a top rival of the other three GCL schools.

For the reasons listed above I believe that St X's top rivalry varies depending upon recent results, but also based upon who you ask at the school. For the west side kids I think they are more inclined to state Elder, while the east side kids would select Moeller.
I honestly believe Moe is a distant 3rd. Frankly, LS and Elder don't get along as schools. Elder and X's Admins seem to tolerate each other.
Old 07-24-17, 08:26 AM
All World

Jteegardner
Here is my two cents:

Elder
1 X
2a LaSalle
2b Moeller
LaSalle is a because of the taunting factor lately

LaSalle
1X
2 Elder
3 Moeller

Moeller
1 X
2 Elder
3 LaSalle

X
1 LaSalle
2a Elder
2b Moeller
X's biggest rival would be LaSalle because of proximity to each other.
Old 07-24-17, 09:17 AM
All Region

GCLFan99 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jteegardner View Post
Here is my two cents:

Elder
1 X
2a LaSalle
2b Moeller
LaSalle is a because of the taunting factor lately

LaSalle
1X
2 Elder
3 Moeller

Moeller
1 X
2 Elder
3 LaSalle

X
1 LaSalle
2a Elder
2b Moeller
X's biggest rival would be LaSalle because of proximity to each other.
Normally I would agree that proximity would be possibly the biggest driver in a rivalry, in part because of drawing from the same pool of kids. However I am not sure that St X fans would list LaSalle as their biggest rival (or even the players for that matter) There is so much history between Moeller and Elder that I truly believe one of the two of those schools is the biggest rival, depending upon what side of town you are asking.
Old 07-24-17, 09:20 AM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
I agree. I think, St X would consider Moeller its biggest rival and it really isn't close. I see LaSalle as a distant 3rd on that list.
Old 07-24-17, 09:33 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
But it's not back in the day. LS has their own history now, they're not in Elder's shadow.
They have a recent successful history, but around town no one is comparing LS tradition and history with Elder.
Old 07-24-17, 09:41 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by polar panther View Post
They have a recent successful history, but around town no one is comparing LS tradition and history with Elder.
History and tradition are dwarfed by "what have you done for me lately?" LS has had a lot of athletic success and frankly, Elder has not.
Old 07-24-17, 11:51 AM
All Yappi

Spille is on a distinguished road
Can't ignore a thread where I was called out to give my thoughts, so here goes.

Elder
1 X
2 Moe
3 LaSalle

Not really sure there is much to debate. Think X is far and away 1 for Elder.

X
1 Moe
2 Elder
3 Lasalle

LaSalle is a distant 3 IMO. I don't think X cares as much about LaSalle as LaSalle does X.

Moe
1 X
2 Elder
3 LaSalle

I don't there is much to debate here either.

LaSalle
1 Elder
2 X
3 Moe

Too much bad blood between the two schools for Elder not to be 1 here. Going back to the old trojan horse/box truck fight, bad blood remains between these two schools. Don't think Elder cares much for LaSalle but the opposite is very true. My neighbor is a LaSalle grad and recently took his son to LaSalle's football camp. During camp, the instructors asked the kids what bothered them during games more than anything. One of the kids complained about being held during games, and the instructor responded with, only losers complain about holding, cough cough Elder. Not that that necessarily fuels a rivalry but thought it was worth mentioning.
Old 07-24-17, 12:51 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spille View Post

Too much bad blood between the two schools for Elder not to be 1 here. Going back to the old trojan horse/box truck fight, bad blood remains between these two schools. Don't think Elder cares much for LaSalle but the opposite is very true. My neighbor is a LaSalle grad and recently took his son to LaSalle's football camp. During camp, the instructors asked the kids what bothered them during games more than anything. One of the kids complained about being held during games, and the instructor responded with, only losers complain about holding, cough cough Elder. Not that that necessarily fuels a rivalry but thought it was worth mentioning.
F that ghiz rag. Maybe he should worry why his school is in massive financial debt. Cough, Cough Voucher abuse.
Old 07-24-17, 01:17 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
History and tradition are dwarfed by "what have you done for me lately?" LS has had a lot of athletic success and frankly, Elder has not.
I'm just saying Elder has a rich history and tradition over LS. Quit turning by my words around into something else. Of course LS has had recent success while Elder has not, that doesn't change history or tradition that's nearly one hundred years.
Old 07-24-17, 01:50 PM
All American

Visitation_Football
Elder:
1 X
2 Moeller
3 LaSalle

LaSalle:
1 Elder
2 X
3 Moeller

St X:
1 Moeller
2 Elder
3 LaSalle

Moeller:
1 St X
2 Elder
3 LaSalle

Exact same as a few other guys I see.
Old 07-24-17, 01:53 PM
All American

Visitation_Football
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCLFan99 View Post

Does St X even have many west side kids who see the field in football anymore? I know they have some on the roster, but it seems like only a couple a year actually start or see the field in any given year now. The strong majority of their top players now are from the northern suburbs (West Chester, Mason, Montgomery) who they are competing directly with Moe for. That would seem to make Moeller their biggest overall rival now.
Old 07-24-17, 01:58 PM
All American

Visitation_Football
Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
I agree. I think, St X would consider Moeller its biggest rival and it really isn't close. I see LaSalle as a distant 3rd on that list.
I agree. There is no way the majority of X people would say LaSalle is their biggest GCL Rival. I'd be surprised if really any did. I would think LaSalle would be a distant 3rd for all three GCL South schools. They've had some recent success but it's all been in Division 2.
Old 07-24-17, 10:16 PM
All World

Peterson is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visitation_Football View Post
They've had some recent success but it's all been in Division 2.
But in the 3 years they have been division 2, they have beaten Elder 2 out of 3 times. And in all 3 of those years, Elder qualified for the Division 1 playoffs.

So La Salle has had some success against Division 1 Elder during their Division 2 tenure. And that just facts.
Old 07-25-17, 05:50 AM
Moderated User

slapnut is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterson View Post
But in the 3 years they have been division 2, they have beaten Elder 2 out of 3 times. And in all 3 of those years, Elder qualified for the Division 1 playoffs.

So La Salle has had some success against Division 1 Elder during their Division 2 tenure. And that just facts.
Yeah, and Elder only has a freshman class of ~150.......what is LaSalle's? Elder however will not stoop to playing in DII......so the playing field between the two is somewhat level. Hell, there are only 60 kids going out for the Freshman team this year.........
Old 07-25-17, 07:39 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapnut View Post
Yeah, and Elder only has a freshman class of ~150.......what is LaSalle's? Elder however will not stoop to playing in DII......so the playing field between the two is somewhat level. Hell, there are only 60 kids going out for the Freshman team this year.........
It's closer to 180, but that's after a class of 250. And Elder wouldn't have a choice in whether or not they move down.

Also, they had 70-80 kids in the football S&C, 60 is probably too low a number. Either way, next year's class will be larger and more talented. I'm still not sure why you'd try to spin the last part into a positive. Having a small class and lower football turnout is bad. It's not an ego builder that Elder is somehow "tougher" than other schools bc they play D1 w/ Low numbers. Rest assured if this piss poor enrollment happens again, heads will roll.

Last edited by Descartes; 07-25-17 at 07:55 AM.
Old 07-25-17, 11:07 AM
All American

trey2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Rest assured if this piss poor enrollment happens again, heads will roll.
Who's going to roll them?