Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-13-17, 11:07 PM
All World

Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youknow View Post
I actually think Elder will be ok, I still think they beat X and split with Lasalle. Elder lost at the Pitt to a good Purcell team last night. Purcell gave Moe all they could handle last saturday. Elder relies way to much on the 3.
I don't think Elder beats X.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 12-15-17, 04:32 PM
All American

trey2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Elder splits with LaSalle, loses both to X, and loses both to Moe.

They just don't have any offensive weapons besides Harp.
Old 01-04-18, 09:56 AM
All American

bigv is on a distinguished road
League seems to be down a little.
Old 01-06-18, 01:10 PM
Lancers lead the way!

Lancermania is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youknow View Post
SouthElder- Solid this year, will be hard to beat at home as always
Elder's loss to La Salle at the pit surprised me. Elder was up 16-4 after the first quarter and ended up losing 40-38 even with La Salle's top scorer leading the league in scoring going 0-6 from downtown. So much for Elder's toughness at the its home court. Pat Goedde is doing a good job with the talent or lack thereof on this La Salle team in his first year as a head coach. La Salle travels to Xenia tonight, then hosts a solid Purcell Marian team at home Tuesday.

Last edited by Lancermania; 01-06-18 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-13-18, 02:08 PM
Freshman

Havenwood is on a distinguished road
St.X is much improved and could give Moeller a test tonight. Nobody in the conference will beat out Moeller they are just too deep. Moeller's bench could be the second best team in the city.
Old 01-13-18, 02:11 PM
Freshman

sports jock and chad- I take it you don't like watching good defense? there's a reason teams struggle to score against that team. They actually have been playing a more fast paced game lately, you must not watch them play very much.
Old 01-13-18, 02:14 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancermania View Post
Elder's loss to La Salle at the pit surprised me. Elder was up 16-4 after the first quarter and ended up losing 40-38 even with La Salle's top scorer leading the league in scoring going 0-6 from downtown. So much for Elder's toughness at the its home court. Pat Goedde is doing a good job with the talent or lack thereof on this La Salle team in his first year as a head coach. La Salle travels to Xenia tonight, then hosts a solid Purcell Marian team at home Tuesday.
Lasalle is not very good at all. They just don't have the depth this season. Goedde will do a great job there, but hard to win without the horses.
Old 01-13-18, 02:25 PM
All American

Carl Rick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havenwood View Post
St.X is much improved and could give Moeller a test tonight. Nobody in the conference will beat out Moeller they are just too deep. Moeller's bench could be the second best team in the city.
Does their bench consist of the Catholic school kids who are in their area?
Old 01-13-18, 03:05 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Rick View Post
Joking aside, noticed this year that X listed each kids junior high school on the roster handouts you get at the door of games. That's the only school I've seen do that, public or private.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-18, 11:16 PM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
What is an acceptable "area" for you?
Old 01-14-18, 01:55 PM
Freshman

Panthers99 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly_Cat View Post
Joking aside, noticed this year that X listed each kids junior high school on the roster handouts you get at the door of games. That's the only school I've seen do that, public or private.

St. X has been doing that for years just FYI. Not something new this year.
Old 01-14-18, 03:07 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Who really cares where they are from.
Old 01-14-18, 03:22 PM
All World

Quote:
Got em! Lol

Old 01-14-18, 03:27 PM
All American

Quote:
you are new here, eh?
Old 01-14-18, 04:54 PM
All American

Moeller used to list the Jr. High in their program as well, don't know if they still do? Anyone?
Old 01-14-18, 06:07 PM
All American

Quote:
Moeller used to list the Jr. High in their program as well, don't know if they still do? Anyone?
Didn't answer the question and I'm curious- what should Moeller's "area" be?

For those inquiring minds, X has 1/3 of their kids on varsity from public schools, Moeller is the same.
Old 01-14-18, 06:50 PM
All World

CometCountry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kballer View Post

For those inquiring minds, X has 1/3 of their kids on varsity from public schools, Moeller is the same.
From my 12 years of Catholic schooling I'd say as long as all of the "students" take Religion class all 4 years, then it doesn't matter what school they went to in 7th and 8th grade. Good for everyone to get that Marianist religious education that Moeller offers.

YES--Parish you belong to = High School to attend--seems fair!
Old 01-14-18, 08:26 PM
All American

Quote:

That has changed over the years. There have been assigned parishes for the catholic high schools. They have also made it wide open at times, I believe that is where they are now. I really don't care what they do, I do think some in the catholic/GCL world think there should be boundaries so kids from Dayton don't go to Moeller.
Old 01-14-18, 08:58 PM
All American

What all-boys Catholic high school in Dayton should they attend?
Old 01-14-18, 09:02 PM
All American

Seriously if you are going to throw the jab be prepared to answer instead of back pedaling with "I don't care". We almost live closer to Dayton than to Moeller (or any other of the GCL south schools) however my husband and every male member of his family attended an all-boys high school. It was important to him that his sons did as well so they did, can't fault others if they choose one of the less than a dozen available in the state even if it means a commute.
Old 01-14-18, 09:06 PM
All World

Quote:
What all-boys Catholic high school in Dayton should they attend?
I'm fairly sure they teach Religion at Fenwick, Alter, CJ and Carroll---that would be the primary reason for attending a Catholic HS I presume--Academics would be certainly the same as what Moeller offers--what does it matter if it's Co-Ed or all Boys--I went to a local Co-ed Catholic HS and turned out pretty good!!
Old 01-14-18, 09:22 PM
All American

I'm an inner city public school kid and turned out fabulous I've had kids at both co-Ed & single sex Catholic schools as well as public- it's a preference and up to the parents to determine. For many at the GCL south schools, they are legacies or have dads/ other family that attended all male schools- their choice
Old 01-14-18, 09:28 PM
All World

Can't disagree with your rationale as long as what I said occurs:

"I'd say as long as all of the "students" take Religion class all 4 years, then it doesn't matter what school they went to in 7th and 8th grade."

Can you confirm ALL Moeller students take Religion all 4 years--if so more power to them--that is the primary reason to attend a Catholic HS--right?
Old 01-14-18, 09:36 PM
All American

Unless they start back up the "countdown to competitive balance" opus I think we should move on. I only responded with this because of the "area" comment and ducking thereafter.
Old 01-14-18, 09:39 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometCountry View Post
Can't disagree with your rationale as long as what I said occurs:

"I'd say as long as all of the "students" take Religion class all 4 years, then it doesn't matter what school they went to in 7th and 8th grade."

Can you confirm ALL Moeller students take Religion all 4 years--if so more power to them--that is the primary reason to attend a Catholic HS--right?
I don't have access to all the pupils records but it is a requirement for graduation.🎓
Old 01-14-18, 09:44 PM
All World

Quote:
I don't have access to all the pupils records but it is a requirement for graduation.🎓
If 4 years is a requirement to graduate (and you would know since you have had kids attend Moe) then we can assume, without access to records, that all students are in Religion class for 4 years--that's a good thing!
Old 01-15-18, 10:11 AM
All American

Quote:
Unless they start back up the "countdown to competitive balance" opus I think we should move on. I only responded with this because of the "area" comment and ducking thereafter.
Not ducking anything, have no dog in the fight. There are some people who don't think it is competitively fair for some schools to draw from wherever. If you don't think Carroll, C-J, Alter, or Fenwick offer the same catholic/gender specific education so be it. The competitive balance is all about the situation where certain privates and publics take advantage and recruit. That isn't about education, but athletics. St. X brought in a basketball coach to recruit because the past one wouldn't. Everyone knows Moeller recruits, so has Dayton Wayne, Akron St. V, Toledo St. J's, Walnut Hills, etc. It is an amusing conversation, now Deer Park has entered the game and is gaining attention. It happens, it won't change, certain schools will not do it, and others will. So what area should they come from?? That is up to the Catholic diocese to decide and the OHSAA to attempt enforcement. Not me to decide, but the debate will continue.
Old 01-15-18, 11:23 AM
All American

So again, what "area" would be acceptable?
Old 01-15-18, 11:34 AM
All American

I mean seriously- how much do you (and others) know about where a Catholic high school draws from? Moeller's freshman class is around 240 boys. Most catholic elementary schools have at most (many have way less a couple have more) 50 kids in 8th grade assuming half are boys, that's 25. The largest amount of boys from any one elementary school that I have seen come to Moeller is around a dozen with most having less. So let's assume 8 per grade school that means you would need boys coming from 30 grade schools just to fill the freshman class.
Our public jr high has 600 kids. There are 2 of them that feed into the high school.
I just don't think people realize the sheer numbers of students it takes from all over just to keep the numbers up. I know many families in Loveland/Mason/Anderson whose parents went to Elder/McAuley/X etc who want their kids to be apart of their legacy. Are there a few that chose these schools with no family connection primarily for sport? Absolutely, but there isn't a school that would turn them down if they meet the entrance requirements.
Old 01-15-18, 11:39 AM
All American

The only reason I even found yappi was because one of mine was being discussed on here that he was "recruited" away from the public school he attended. It was bs- we came on our own. He had attended Catholic school since preschool but when we moved here we tried public school for a variety of reasons. Then our public school failed levy after levy and cut programs that had drawn us there in the first place plus we just didn't find it to be a good fit. Apparently everyone thought because we reached out to the coach after he had already been accepted to the school that they recruited us. That's the problem with assuming.

Last edited by Kballer; 01-15-18 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Yappi not happy